GordonG
Last month

NBL Grand Finals - Game 4

Might as well get the ball rolling...

Jackies to win it all.

Topic #51912 | Report this topic

Baller  
Last month

I'm expecting another close one will be decided in the last couple minutes again

Reply #939228 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

I'll be intrigued as to how United respond after having G3 snatched for their grasp.

Want them to win and take this to G5, but wouldn’t be surprised if the Jacks get this by 8-10.

Reply #939233 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I'd like a game five as well, I just think that United will be shattered, could quite easily have been celebrating the championship by now only to be blown out the water in the last two games. JJs have more form players, unless Jla lifts massively I can’t see anything but JJs win.

Reply #939234 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

It's really hard to pick

You generally assume teams will have a bad game at some point

JJ's were well below par in game 1. But United havent had a "bad game" as such- they had a 15 point lead and a 10 point lead during the 3rd quarters of each respective game.

To hazard a guess, I'd say this will likely go down to the last 2-3 minutes again.

United by 3-5, then Tassie to win Game 5 by the same.

Reply #939235 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

United $2.88 for the title

Good odds for a team who finished 20-8, and is +16 over 3 games and has led for 75%-80% of the time

United has looked the better team most of the time, just had two main lapses- couldn't score during 3 and 4 Q of Game 2. And Deng got off the hook during 4Q Game 3 after Lee went down. Lost those games by 5 and 2 after leading by 15 and 10 during each 3rd quarter.

Other than those two issues, they've been in control

I won't be betting (as I don't gamble much and I'm ahead for the season regardless whether United or JJ's win) but $2.88 is nice odds

Reply #939275 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last month

Either deserves it but after the McVeigh heave would prefer a JJs title

Reply #939276 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last month

Who gets more mins with Lee out?

They wont want Magnay in foul trouble???

Reply #939280 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Yeah if Lee is out, adds more value to United being $2.88

I'd take my chances on that matchup. Pound the ball down low to JLA when Deng is on court. Deng could hit some threes against JLA's relative lack of mobility (and drag him away from the hoop removing his rim protection) but I'd take my chances and see if JLA can get going. He should be feasting on Deng when United has the ball.

Of course, maybe Tassie sticks with Magnay and Krslovic at the 5, despite Deng's great game 3. Who knows. This is a chess game.

Reply #939281 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last month

Lee cooked according to Olgun

Reply #939284 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last month

In game 3 he was feasting on Deng with the low post seal and deep catch and then Dean took him out which was unfathomable. He was going to score every possession the way it was going.

Reply #939286 | Report this post

Kas  
Last month

Lee confirmed out for the rest of the series

I'm hoping for a really aggressive and high energy Melb United tomorrow night - and I really think they can do it and take it to 5 games

GO MELB UNITED!!

Reply #939294 | Report this post

Kas  
Last month

And can Magnay stop flopping please

Reply #939295 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

JJ's really are the great survivors

Facing elimination in Game 2 of the semi finals, they were down 12 early. Didn't take the lead until the last minute of the 3rd term. Managed to win

Facing the prospect of going down 2-0 in Game 2 of the Finals, down 15 early in the 3rd quarter. Clawed back into it.

It's been an incredible run but without Lee (who was huge in their Game 2 win, a +11 in his 14 minutes and some inspirational plays) and playing United, now facing their biggest test yet.

Reply #939300 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Deng made Jla look like a big v player in the last game, he went round him like he was a flag pole. Deng also defensively is tall enough to limit jla. I'm hoping for a game five and it can happen but united going to need to improve, starting with the coaches subbing.

Reply #939304 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last month

Melbourne only had to continue to score. Once JLA got subbed out for small ball they struggled. If they kept going to JLA on the block all Deng would have been able to do was foul. The rest is now history

Reply #939306 | Report this post

Kev  
Last month

Expect Mayberry to come out whistle blazing. He won't be happy how his calls to put the JU’s away did nothing except for Major to be subbed in and then boom, JJ’s looked good.

I expect a few quick fouls being called on Jack, Doyle and Magnay. A couple of obvious miss calls that benefit Melbourne, a tech on Drmic. Vaughan has supported his Melbourne team for a long time, he won’t be happy they ain’t leading the series.

Reply #939307 | Report this post

Baller  
Last month

Sebastian JLA looks like he is carrying a injury something doesn't look right lost all his mobility and lateral movement doesn’t look himself

Reply #939321 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

The biggest thing for Tassie is keeping Magnay out of foul trouble

Ideally he would play 30+ minutes tonight.

He played 30 against Illawarra, and 26, 27 in games 2 and 3 vs Perth.

Problem is he's had 9 fouls in 49 minutes across these first 3 games.

Reply #939342 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I think you are clutching straws a bit LV, they are deep in the five spot, Deng and Krislovic are dangerous.

Reply #939343 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Deng played a nice cameo last game and Krslovic has been a solid role player for 3 years. But I expect Roth will play Magnay for close to 30 minutes if he can manage to stay out of foul trouble

In game injuries can throw a spanner in the works and sometimes unexpectedly help the team with the injury, but it's a different scenario when the opposition's had all week to prepare.

Reply #939344 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Roth 10-5 over Vickerman in match ups. Says a lot.

Reply #939355 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Vickerman's the 2nd best coach in this series, but he's also 2nd best in the league.

Reply #939357 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Last month

Magnay is not a smart enough player to stay out of foul trouble. No Lee for the rest of the series will hurt JJ's
As Magnay can’t concentrate enough for the long periods he will have to play. I don’t consider Vickerman to be a great coach but he will take advantage of Lee being out. Expect everything to go through JLA and
Hukporti early in the game. Roth will have to reach into his bag of tricks and find something special. JJ’s by one just to break all you tiger fans hearts!

Reply #939360 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Mo money mo problems

Reply #939364 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Wrong thread!

Reply #939365 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Either Travers is injured or Vickerman subbing is again crap, Bowen why.

Reply #939369 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

United look shaky.

Reply #939373 | Report this post

Kev  
Last month

Not convinced that Vickerman is so great. His teams have been stacked. He has a financial advantage over the majority of the league. Melbourne is a better place to be a sportsman than his competitors. Most of his players have regressed on his teams.

Reply #939374 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Who's "regressed" at United?

Reply #939375 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Illi keeps chucking up rubbish United going no where.

Reply #939376 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

I like the suggestion of trying Krebs on McVeigh

Reply #939377 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Is Illi going to pass it before there is no time on the clock.

Reply #939378 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Last month

Gaze has no idea why Delly is being booed. It is because he has carried on like a pork chop on any foul call the last 3 games.

Reply #939379 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Doyle plus 7 in 17.32 no score, McVeigh minus 3 in 17.32 18 points. Just for the stats people. Vickerman still going to his favourites, Illi been average, needs more Clarke, been great. JLA better, delly great. Crawford been good, Doyle is the key and McVeigh scoring.

Reply #939380 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

I've seen enough, forget Josh Giddey, give Jack McVeigh the damn keys to the Boomers

Reply #939381 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

That challenge not being overturned is an absolutely fucking disgrace. Im sorry but there's just no other to put it. What are we doing?

Reply #939382 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

Geesh, that was an ugly call. Video reviewer clearly enjoying their pre Easter drinks!

Reply #939383 | Report this post

Lukefly  
Last month

Refs definitely doing their best to make sure there is a game 5

Reply #939384 | Report this post

Reggie  
Last month

Refs having too much of influence in this quarter. Both ends being called very differently.

Reply #939385 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

Melbourne have looked very disorganized at times during this series. Now they've just resorted to Goulding prayers. I can't see them getting it back unless Clark can bail them out

Reply #939386 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Refs really haven't been an issue, both sides getting a few tough ones, JLa back to stupidly again.
Very good game so far, JJs probably go away with it from here

Reply #939387 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

Want Delly to hit the game-winning bucket so bad.

Reply #939388 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Free throw misses really hurting Melbourne again. Agree Melbourne probably need a miracle.

Reply #939389 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

1 point game at 3QT, fitting for this season.

Bring it home Jackies

Reply #939390 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last month

drimic is a spud

Reply #939392 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Drmic's spuddiness aside, there has been some high quality execution in this one.

Reply #939394 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

Not sure anyone can argue vickermans case as a coach after watching this. They look like a preseason team who haven't played together

Reply #939395 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Wow this level of basketball is amazing. Refs managing not to mess it up

Reply #939396 | Report this post

Jacket  
Last month

Yep, Shea Ili is 1-10 from the field....yep, amazing level of basketball.

Reply #939397 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

Delly so impressive. Taking control of the game in spite of their lack of effective coaching

Reply #939398 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

He was so composed.

Reply #939399 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

Yes Delly. Yes.

Reply #939400 | Report this post

Lukefly  
Last month

Delly still seems to have a bit of gas left in the tank, showing maybe got enough for another boomers stint

Reply #939401 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

And again. I suspect he ignored vickermans play and backed himself to go iso

Reply #939402 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Well TAD royally fucked that up.

Reply #939403 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Reply #939404 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

TAS*

Reply #939405 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

I love Delly and want to have his babies.

Can't wait for Game 5.

Reply #939406 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

McVeigh (doesn't) do it again.

Easter Sunday Grand Final Game 5.

Reply #939407 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Delly has been quite un-clutch prior to this game but was huge tonight.

Reply #939408 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Last month

Tasmania screwed that
Séries over now - Melbourne to close out comfortably from here.

Reply #939409 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Amazing game amazing series, I'm gob smacked, let’s make it best of seven.

Reply #939410 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Travers with a fantastic stat line. Doyle the only plus for JJs that played more six minutes, again great player. McVeigh very good but ended in the minus 3. Delly was great, Jla better today and great last steel. Drimic defensively was great. JJs 9 assists, united 15. JJs better off the stripe. Clarke also very good, Illi not so much today.

Just superb and I'm really happy for another game.

Reply #939411 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Regardless what happens Sunday this Is one of the greatest NBL series ever

Reply #939412 | Report this post

Kas  
Last month

WOOOHOOOOO!
Sorry - Easter lunch is going to be. quick one - then on to JCA to see Game 5!!!!!
SO happy for JLA to get that game winning steal & Delly to get that bucket near the end - despite the refs trying to get the JJs over the line - McDonald stepping out of bounds, McVeigh fouling JLA etc

Reply #939414 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Refs were very good, a few mistakes either way but that's got be expected, it’s easy after a few replays to get it right. Congratulations to them.

Reply #939417 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

Clark has been sneaky solid for United. Doesn't seem phased by pressure, plays at his pace and knows when to chip in.

He’ll be a free agent soon. Would love to see him sign again with United (or another non-crappy team) for another couple of seasons.

Reply #939420 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Travers and Goulding looked pretty banged up at the end

JLA doesn't look fit to me. Lacking usual agility. Something not right. He's been far too tentative. 8 field goal attempts in the last two games (a perfect 8/8). And most of them were catch and score under the hoop. Or put backs. He made one great baseline move around Magnay tonight but barely looked to score. Whatever happened to the "ultimate green light". Suggests he's lacking confidence in his ability to go get buckets- perhaps because he's carrying a niggle.

But Lee out and it's an JCA so United with the clear advantage now - unless those guys come up poorly from this one

Reply #939431 | Report this post

Baller  
Last month

Lukefly there's no denying dellys commitment been a warrior for Australian basketball, but fuck he is lucky not to get called for a lot of fouls when going to the hoop swings his arm and elbow into the defenders all the time to create space did it on that last play as well

Reply #939439 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:36 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754