Rhino
Last month

Sobey on the move?

Olgun reporting that Nathan Sobey may head to SEM.

Topic #51918 | Report this topic

Basket 91  
Last month

Interesting. Don't get why Brisbane would let him go.

Reply #939435 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

Sobey is a great baller but does he make teams better.....not sure. Brisbane are developing a franchise that seems to have a more hard team first scenario maybe Sobey is not seen to be part of this.

Reply #939438 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Maybe they are going to let him play the point, he thinks he's a point guard, mates with Creek. I thought bullets had the option on him, maybe back ended contract and less money so wants out.

Reply #939440 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Team option, it looks like. I'm not sure that this is as great a signing as it looks, past his best, 34 before start next season.

Reply #939441 | Report this post

The Phantom  
Last month

Not a rumour.

Sobey, Bullets agree to mutual parting of ways.

Nathan Sobey has agreed to a mutual release with the Brisbane Bullets, sources told ESPN, clearing the way for him to sign with the South East Melbourne Phoenix for the 2024-25 NBL season.

Sobey -- a 6'3 combo guard coming off an All-NBL Second Team selection -- played five seasons with the Bullets, and is coming off a campaign where he averaged 20.2 points per game.

Both Sobey and the Bullets expressed a desire for a parting of ways, sources said, and subsequently gauged teams around the NBL in the search for a potential landing spot.

The Phoenix emerged as a suitor, and will pay a small buyout to facilitate the move, sources said.

The Bullets (13-15) and Phoenix (12-16) both missed the 2024 NBL postseason.

Sobey has already begun the process of joining the Phoenix; the 33-year-old was spotted working out with the team's coaching staff on Wednesday, sources said. He'll join a Phoenix franchise that has been proactive this offseason; the team parting ways with Alan Williams and Rhys Vague ahead of the official opening of NBL Free Agency.

This is the second time this offseason where a player has effectively been traded from one team to another for cash considerations. In early March, Sam Mennenga and the Cairns Taipans agreed to a mutual release, with the Kiwi big-man then signing with the New Zealand Breakers; the Breakers paid a buyout fee to the Taipans.

Sobey is a one-time Olympian and was member of the All-NBL First Team in 2021. He'll join Mitch Creek, Ben Ayre, Matt Kenyon, and Owen Foxwell on the Phoenix's roster. Mike Kelly is going into his second season as head coach of the Phoenix.

With Sobey's departure, the Bullets now have Josh Bannan, Tyrell Harrison (team option), Mitch Norton, Sam McDaniel, Isaac White (team option), Shannon Scott, Chris Smith, Casey Prather (mutual option), and Rocco Zikarsky (Next Star) contracted going into NBL Free Agency. The expectation is that the Bullets will exercise all of those options, sources said. The team is in advanced talks with Deng Adel on a deal for the 2024-25 season, sources said.

Reply #939444 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

Sobey and the Bullets needed to part ways. The partnership wasn't bearing any fruit and it was always the same old. He’s been a good member of the team though and I’m happy he was a member of the bronze Olympic team.

Sobey may also get a few more years from the Phoenix, whereas I doubt Brisbane would’ve offered him a contract again following next season had he played out the option.

Unfortunately for Brisbane, still a shitful playing roster that will need another season to get right and clear deadwood. Of course Brisbane can’t get out of their own way also by signing Deng Adel, who was overwhelmingly disappointing in his last NBL stint.

Reply #939448 | Report this post

RobT  
Last month

Surprises me but I think could be a windfall for the Bullets. Might release some of what both Smith and Brown were expected to bring. If Sobey's departure does free them up to play more of their natural games will be good for Brisbane. With the team in advanced talks with Deng Adel and the stability of the rest of the roster I think the Bullets could be better next season.

No doubting Sobey's skills and his ability to utilise those skills but he reminds me of the adage, "better than being the best player ON your team, be the best player FOR your team!" Not sure if passes that test?

No mention of Baynes above. Is he still in the picture?

Reply #939450 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Agree with all you said, still not that good roster, I'm thinking WMW is going to get an offer he can’t refuse. Deng Adel is a strange selection but maybe can get on the end of a few WMW passes for the jam. He’s been playing in pro b in France, ok stats.

Sobey should have the ground rules set out for him, no whinging to refs, play ball and defence. United showed last night and JJs all season you are better not getting affected by calls and get on with it.

Reply #939452 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Creek and Sobey together, what are the thoughts out there? It was fine at Sixers, not certain now.

Reply #939454 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

Was intimidated on the last MP pod that Baynes will likely retire and join the Bullets in another capacity. Small chance he keeps playing in Brisbane on a very reduced role and salary. Won't be moving anywhere else to play.

Reply #939456 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last month

With Creek and Sobey, there won't be a lot of ball for the rest. LOL

I don’t like Phoenix taking him on, but if it pushes Ayre back to the bench then it could be a good move. Not that Sobey and Ayre play controlled smart basketball, but at least Sobey finishes better.

Sadly, it means even less minutes for Foxwell, who I have a lot of time for.

Reply #939457 | Report this post

Yup  
Last month

Another overpriced reputation signing for SEM

Reply #939459 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last month

Don't mind this for the Phoenix. While he does have his flaws Sobey would be the best local player Creek has had next to him.
/Ayre/Foxwell
Sobey/
/Kenyon
Creek

Be interesting to see if Phoenix go with 2 or 3 imports.

Brisbane need to get a top gun local or import to replace Sobey. Scott and Smith are on multi year deals. Are they gone next season?

Reply #939460 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

You would expect Sobey and Creek to be marquees, so SEM can't have 3 imports

Reply #939464 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Is Sobey still marquee money, I would not have thought so.

Reply #939465 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

Read this on social media =

"Nathan Sobey signing with the Phoenix as rumours suggest Mitch Creek is also set to be released."

Anyone else heard anything re Creek?

Reply #939468 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Heard that he wanted more money and was heading OS, Copeland has been hinting at it for a while. I think Creek is still offering a lot, certainly offensively, defensively not great, might got under Kelly skin. His achievements at SEM haven't been great re team results, certainly for the coin he is on. Interesting times with the grape vine in overdrive. I certainly wouldn’t release him to another nbl team.

Reply #939470 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

I'd rather have Creek than Sobey as my marquee Aussie

Reply #939471 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Reporting consensus seems to be Creek will be in SEM unless he gets a large offer from China for next season. He's currently there now. He won't be moving teams in the NBL, but possibility of moving to China

Reply #939472 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Creek is getting very few minutes a game in China, not certain why.

Reply #939473 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

According to one of his facebook, you can only have 1 import on the floor at a time. He was injured when he arrived there apparently and therefore is pretty far down the pecking order.

Reply #939474 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Ok, cheers makes sense, his side are second so they were already doing well.

Reply #939475 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

@Basket 91

Scott and Smith are on multis and will return next season. I hold out hope Brisbane can find a way to amicably release them from the roster but.

Scott has been woeful and far from the marquee pg Brisbane has needed since they returned to the league.

Smith shoots threes and is limited elsewhere.

Both need to be off the books before Brisbane has a chance at doing something.

Reply #939478 | Report this post

The Phantom  
Last month

Brisbane has been one of the more poorly constructed roster for the last few years, relying on names rather than substance. Semi casual fans would have heard Baynes and Sobey and thought that's a great local duo. Baynes may have been in the NBA for a long time, but primarily as a big body and role player. Not sure how much his injury in Tokyo affected his output, but his attitude really didn't help. Seemed to worry more about being disrespected on court if someone dared be physical with him and played more like Grant Kruger than Mark Bradtke.
Sobey is one of the most gifted guards in the league and talent wise should have a very tiny chance of making the Boomers given their scoring problems. But he just goes rogue too much, taking bad shots and not sharing it with his teammates. The few games I saw, Schueller would yank him and he would lose his shit on the bench. No surprise really they've moved on, seems management are backing Schueller to build something in a better direction than what they've had since returning to the league. Baynes needs to go as well, who would touch him though (Adelaide, hold my beer).
With the money going towards those two they had to get some budget imports, but surely there's better in nbl1 somewhere rather than Smith and Scott.
Brisbane made some very good pickups in offseason with Norton, McDaniel and White. Rocco with his height had some games where he had a huge impact, another year of his body maturing should get him more consistent minutes. Harrison is really just a good backup, just to give the starting big a breather.
It looks like a rebuild is underway, if they get WMW, they really need scoring from their imports, Smith and Scott need to go. Best case scenario would be WMW and Norton in the backcourt, Big Sauce Williams would be good with Rocco and Harrison able to rotate through and hopefully keep him out of foul trouble. Someone like Lamb to score in the frontcourt and a Wiley type to do a bit of the dirty work.

Reply #939481 | Report this post

JMS  
Last month

Sobey with Creek would be a great move for SEM. With the addition of Jordan Hunter the lineup and McCarron and an elite import wing who can shoot the three and the lineup looks much improved:

C: Hunter / Gak
PF: Creek / Moller
SF: [import] / Kenyon
SG: Sobey /
PG: McCarron / Ayre

Reply #939485 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

Great obs Phantom. I don't disagree with anything, apart from having Norton as a starter in a best case scenario next season. Just had a 'decent' season, but has genuine offensive limitations that are difficult to wear if he's playing starters minutes and the team has genuine playoff aspirations. Good piece to come off the bench though and hound dudes on defence.

Reply #939488 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last month

If all the rumours are true brisbane bringing back 3/3 imports 2/3 are contracted and bring back Adel it'll be interesting. Like WMW has an option he could always take up. McCarron might be headed up north i just think brining back 3 imports and adel is odd

Reply #939489 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

If a team marquees 2 Australians, does that mean they can't have 3 imports? Do imports automatically count as a marquee spot?

Reply #939492 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

You can have 3 marquees to claim minimum of your cap but then only 1 import. Because it's a soft cap you can still have 3 imports and as many marquee type players but only claim 1 but then pay the overs tax.
Do imports net wage go towards the tax or is it gross, how does the car and accommodation affect this ? Kobe you might be the best to answer this.

Reply #939493 | Report this post

The Phantom  
Last month

Had Norton as best case if they get WMW and they can partner in backcourt, he takes opposition small guard and WMW takes their 2. If they get a scoring small PG, then McDaniel would be better option starting and Norton goes to bench.
As for MM, Phoenix may work. Can let Sobey play hero ball, sign a 1 year make good contract, get his reputation back and look for a final decent multi-year deal. SEM are going to want to find as many cheap local starter types they can to fill the roster out if they blow their wad on Creek and Sobey.

Reply #939494 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

It's been reported now that SEM have no interest in McCarron. He won't be going there.

Reply #939496 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

The latest rumour on Mccaron was Perth, I said previously that his agent been on the phone trying to drum up business, it could be a bit quiet out there on last few seasons form.

Reply #939497 | Report this post

The Phantom  
Last month

Turned into a bit of a MM past but his biggest strength is his biggest weakness, jack of all trades master of none. With his price tag there were huge expectations on him in Adelaide. But he's not an elite scorer or shooter, decent passer at times and good rebounder for his position. He was stuck in a hopeless position with teammates and coaching, although he was paid extremely handsomely to do so.
From memory he was always praised at previous stops, but had no real expectations compared to his price tag. But for what he was getting paid the expectations were fringe real Boomer (not prelims against Borneo boomer).
So next team that gets him will have realistic expectations and he should just fit in. Probably could get decent minutes in any team in the league, bit of an outlier in terms of how maligned he was in Adelaide.
Wonder who SEM would be after then if Creeks still there? Can always get imports, but are they still going to rely on Terangi types to fill out the roster?

Reply #939499 | Report this post

AngusH  
Earlier this month

Very interesting comments from Schueller: https://twitter.com/SENQLD/status/1775039418396717155?t=KsNYuOG4kZE6JN2R-6TM8w&s=19

Reply #939778 | Report this post

LV  
Earlier this month

Sounded like a thinly veiled swipe at Sobey's training habits, professionalism and or/"culture", attitude and leadership.

Reply #939780 | Report this post

AngusH  
Earlier this month

Even "thinly" might be a stretch!

Reply #939788 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this month

Strange this hasn't been announced by SEM if they paid a buy out, does this resolve around Creek. I’m not certain that he’s the player that would suit the way Kelly wants to build his team.

Reply #939870 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:38 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754