Anonymous
Years ago

36ers: To Sell or not to Sell - DEBATE TONIGHT

Talking Hoops radio show proudly announces the biggest show of its short life!

With Belly in the USA, Host David Spear will take time out to look at the pros and cons of a Sixers sale to private ownership.

In the studio will be some of the biggest and most influential names in the game today.

New BASA CEO Mike Daws, Sturt President Mark Calligeros and former NBL CEO Peter Ali will all be there to discuss & debate the future of basketball in this state!

Guests Include Lindsay Gaze, former GM of the VBA & also involved in private ownership, Boti Nagy and more.

Get involved as the lines will be open for calls so dont miss this opportunity to call in and ask a question of any of these guests!!

Or post one here if you can't!

8371 1000

Coast FM next tuesday night 29th 6.30pm to 8.00pm

Topic #5302 | Report this topic

Pitstop  
Years ago

Might be a good idea to ask what is wrong each week with the main scoreboard.

Reply #60433 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

What was said? Was not able to listen to the broadcast.

Reply #60448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out of the 4 people on the panel.

Two said to sell and two said not to.

To CEO said that if the new consortium offered to pay out the dome debt and leave BASA debt free out of all of this, then they would have to seriously look at it. If they didn't take that offer, then Basketball is not their number one priority.

Reply #60451 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Daws said categorically that 36ers are not for sale.

Ali agreed that the 36ers should not be sold.

Both (in addition to Nagy) focused on the fact that the 36ers are Basketball SA's number one asset and the focus should be on ensuring that improvements are made in terms of economic efficiency rather than privatisation.

I thought Spears did a great job as host and I believe by the end of the show he said he was sitting on the fence re privatisation.

Caligeros played devil's advocate (his own words) and stated that Basketball SA would have to look at any potential bid if this bid meant an extinguishment of the Dome debt and an undertaking to continue the Lightning/Fellas program.

Daws stated that meaningful discussions have been taking place with the Government about the debt but not much could be revealed at this stage.

All in all, an informative show given they were bound to discuss privatisation in a completely hypothetical manner.

Unfortunately in my opinion, you can't really debate the virtues of privatisation in such a wide-open hypothetical manner.

For example, I believe that the 36ers should not be privatised.

This is only because I have seen too many teams come and go over the years and some that have managed to survive are doing so year by year.

Perth Wildcats and Melbourne Tigers have been talked about as success stories by managing to turn around years of losses but have done so via cut backs worse than any the 36ers have made over the years.

Regardless of how efficiently a privately owned 36ers were run I believe our financial success would still be tied in with the rest of the league.

IE no free to air tv, no hyped up superstar players on opposition teams such as Grace, Heal, Gaze, JC, Loggins, etc, little to no NBL marketing at the same time most codes of football are booming would make the investment a relatively risky one.

Having said all of the above, the main reason I am against privatisation is that I can't see anyone with pockets deep enough would be interested in purchasing the 36ers, ensuring a stacked line-up, cheap tickets, etc, etc even if it meant a few years of loss to get basketball booming again in SA.

Look at how rich Longley is and even he jumped ship after a few years of losses at Perth.

That is why privatisation is impossible to seriously discuss in a hypothetical sense as the potential owners would be the most important factor into whether you would even consider it.

If you told me that Mark Cuban was going to buy the 36ers with the goal of ensuring the 36ers finish ahead of the Sydney Kings for the next 30 years it would be a no-brainer.

Reply #60462 | Report this post

Pitstop  
Years ago

Scoreboard being looked at today-Wed- hope it is up and running on Fri for the 36ers game.

Reply #60482 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Thanks Stephon, hard to see someone prepared to part with 10 million to buy a team that supposedly does not make money.

Reply #60487 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:56 am, Fri 10 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754