thedoctor
Years ago

Who Needs Shaq?

As the Heat rolled the Knicks today, Mourning blocked 9 shots including a block on a dunk attempt by Channing Frye that is an early contender for block of the year.

The Heat ran the break off of Mourning's swats, reminiscent of early Charlotte days.

How good is this guy? To come back from life threatening illness to play major productive minutes with the Heat. Makes you wonder where New Jersey may have been with a healthy Mourning.

Topic #5306 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

who needs shaq? The lakers when they did their 3 peat.

Reply #60418 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

who needs shaq? all the now wealthly woman shaq made with his huge pay offs.

Reply #60419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My fantasy team!

Reply #60422 | Report this post

The Accountant  
Years ago

shaq is the best player to ever play the game of basketball

Reply #60426 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Who the needs the Most Dominant Player Ever? hmmm... i can think of 30 NBA teams, 2 of those being the heat and....the LAKERS.

Reply #60435 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

The Accountant......are you for real??

The best player ever??

Dont get me wrong Shaq is one of the most Dominant players, but i would not even compare him to the likes of

Michael Jordan

Wilt Chamberlain

Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Magic Johnson

Man ....the guy CANNOT even play out a 82 game season....LOL

Reply #60442 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'll go with you in this one Fez, Shaq is ONE of the most dominannt players of all time, but he does have short comings which goes against saying he is THE most dominant.

The bloke isn't actually durable and he shoots free throws like a chicken lays eggs, painfully.

If I had to start a franchise from scratch and I could chose one player to begin with, it would be Shaq, purely for the fact that he attracts quality players to his franchise and he's still a 20-10 every single game he does suit up for.

Reply #60443 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Would you say he is the best ctr of all time??

I would rate him 3rd behind Kareem and Wilt

Reply #60444 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Kobe certainly needs him - just a pity his overinflated ego didnt realise it!

Reply #60445 | Report this post

The Accountant  
Years ago

the best player ever no one can stop him

Reply #60457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shaq and Kobe best combination ever its a pity they had to part ways they could have easily beaten six championships record of MJ if they did not have huge egos "BEST PLAYERS THERE COULD HAVE BEEN".

Reply #60459 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Back to Mourning people. This is not a 'best ever' debate. Of course Shaq is dominant (or was) and any team would have him. The thread is really about what Mourning is doing for the Heat. Early in the year the Heat did not look good.

Looking at yesterday's game, they looked like a defensively tough team who run the break well.

And yes, the Lakers did need Shaq and so do many other teams, but how does he fit in at the Heat this year?

Reply #60484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the accountant - Mikan was the greatest centre of all time. He was so unstoppable, they had to change the rules of basketrball to stop him from dominating. How many rule changes has shaq been attributed to?

Reply #60491 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I think the only change would be....Re-inforced back boards???

Reply #60499 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

...and that's because of his free throw shooting!!!

Reply #60500 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Anon: They have indirectly changed the rules for Shaq, allowing him to walk over the top of opposing centers once he gets it in the post. Other centers would get called for a charge if they tried to pull that, but Shaq is above the law.

Mourning is a pretty decent replacement for Shaq, but unless Shaq returns soon I can see Mourning struggling to play 30-35mins a night consistently.

Without a healthy Shaq the Heat have no hope of making it out of the East.

Reply #60501 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

hHAHAHA nice one panther

Reply #60502 | Report this post

Camel Toe  
Years ago

I thought re-inforced backboards were introduced because of YOUR free throw shooting Panther?

Reply #60504 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

No camel toe, get your facts right...most stadiums went back to the wooden backboards because I kept breaking the glass ones!

Reply #60510 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

shaq wont average more than 10 boards for the rest of his career. but his presence in the paint is extremely valuable to the team. he clogs the key way ( paul rees esk) and in offence hes super intelligentm wether that be drawing the defence and kicking out to open shooters, or scoring at will himself. and hes clutch performances are unmatched in the league atm. hes still the catalyst for any squad hes in.

plus he doesnt need to board anymore, haslem owns the glass

Reply #60515 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Sixers Im sure would be happy to have him :-)

Reply #60527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without Shaq they Heat would have never ever gotten to the conference finals

Reply #60587 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I caught the Heat Mavs game the other day, Mourning had 4 blocks in the first quarter and was dominating, but he's no where near the consistant big man over the full 48 minutes that Shaq is. After a while it became pretty clear that Wade (who is a freak by the way)needs another star to share the load, Dallas ended up comfortable winners.

But Kudos to Mourning for still making a massive contribution at his age, leading the league in blocks at 36 (or similar) is impressive.

Reply #60599 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I caught the Heat Mavs game the other day, Mourning had 4 blocks in the first quarter and was dominating, but he's no where near the consistant big man over the full 48 minutes that Shaq is. After a while it became pretty clear that Wade (who is a freak by the way)needs another star to share the load, Dallas ended up comfortable winners.

But Kudos to Mourning for still making a massive contribution at his age, leading the league in blocks at 36 (or similar) is impressive.

Reply #60600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fez mate...

SHAQ IS SO EXPENSIVE

HE WASTES HIS MONEY ON ****

Reply #60673 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Shaq has a fair way to go to match the likes of James Edwards, Robert Parish, Dwayne Schnitzis, and Chris Dudley.

But hes still good

Reply #60696 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:06 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754