Junior Club Postition

Just before christmas and here is how it adds up. This is the asverage position of all the junior teams in the club. Obviously there are some discrepencies with more than 12 teams in some compes and less than 12 teams in others.

Boys

Sturt 9.7
North 8.4
Forestville 8.1
Norwood 7.6
Woodville 6.5
South 6.4
West 6.1
Southern 5.7
Eastern 5.3
Centrals 4.1

Girls

Sturt 9.1
North 9.0
Forestville 8.6
Norwood 7.8
West 7.8
Southern 7.2
Woodville 7.1
Eastern 6.0
Centrals 5.8
South 5.4

Overall CLub

Sturt 9.4
North 8.6
Forestville 8.3
Norwood 7.7
Woodville 6.7
West 6.6
Southern 6.3
South 5.9
Eastern 5.6
Centrals 4.8

Looks to me like all those people talking up South's junior girls coaches have got it wrong.

Woodville look to be the movers up the rankings.

The division between the top and the bottom is getting larger.

Any thoughts

Topic #5447 | Report this topic

bagwan  
Years ago

please clarify the system - so is it rated on higher the score - the better the position ?

ie score 9.7 is the highest in 10 - so that team is 1st - then the next highest etc ???

Reply #61884 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I would like to see this done at the end of next weeks games. What is the formula you have worked on? Has this been done from 10's to 20s? I would also like to see just div 1 and 2 boys and girls to see how States MIGHT pan out.

Reply #61886 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Also how can west be above Woodville and Southern and even South when they are bottom in 10's, no Under 12 Div1 and 14 Div 1 girls. There 16s are bottom I think. Not a slag at West but would be interested in the formula.

Reply #61887 | Report this post

Mugatu  
Years ago

Here are the win/loss records for all clubs in Div 1 ONLY in winning % order. And yes I got bored last night.

Sturt
Boys 36 - 7
Girls 32 - 11
Overall 68 - 18 (.935)

Forestville
Boys 21 - 19
Girls 30 - 14
Overall 51 - 33 (.705)

West
Boys 27 - 17
Girls 15 - 15
Overall 42 - 32 (.633)

Norwood
Boys 24 - 18
Girls 24 - 23
Overall 48 - 41 (.578)

North
Boys 19 - 25
Girls 27 - 18
Overall 46 - 43 (.534)

Southern
Boys 22 - 20
Girls 21 - 24
Overall 43 - 44 (.489)

Woodville
Boys 11 - 24
Girls 21 - 16
Overall 32 - 40 (.390)

South
Boys 19 - 27
Girls 14 - 31
Overall 33 - 58 (.245)

Eastern
Boys 12 - 18
Girls 7 - 23
Overall 19 - 41 (.177)

Centrals
Boys 5 - 16
Girls 2 - 13
Overall 7 - 29 (.055)

Reply #61910 | Report this post

Mugatu  
Years ago

Ok I just read it again and I must have been really bored.

Just to clarrify. This form is only for div 1 team and not a reflection of the win/loss record for the whole club. This just shows W/L % for clubs with teams in div 1 irrespective of how many teams across the age groups in div 1.

Will try and do a div 2 one as well if I get bored enough again.

Reply #61912 | Report this post

bagwan  
Years ago

ok - understood

that would be good if you could do some for all grades

what would be good would be an average of number of teams per club and position they hold hold ie

forrestville = 6 u12 boys teams

2 x 1st, 3x4th, 1 x6th, 1 x10th = 30 points (1 point per position)

30 points divided by 6 teams = 5 points

which means they average out at 5th

the lower the score, better off the club

Reply #61916 | Report this post

In the know and bagwan,

for my calculations I gave each team in all grades that finished top 12 points, second received 11 down to whoever finished 12th or below got 1 point. Then averaged it out to get the final position.

In other words if the overall score was 7 then the average position was 6th on the ladder for all teams in the club.

Reply #61921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For all you people who would like to see something - how about doing it yourself!! Some people have used their free time to post some interesting stats, and all you do is say what they SHOULD do....

Reply #61932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks for clarifying that stats......geeezzz

Reply #61939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking at the stats:

- Congratulations to Woodville on their improvement - particularly in the girls side. A massive upgrade over just a couple of years ago. Well done to all - I guess Lynn in particular. In fact the Woodville girs seem to have overtaken the West girls, who were traditionally very strong.

- how bad is South's percentages? Wow. Do they have a new coaching director yet? At least they have a quality U18 boys team - a just reward for their coach (Chaz?) who seems like a good coach who's had to put up with some pretty average groups, who always play hard.

- for those against promotion/relegation under the "the rich get richer" piece - the rich aren't getting any poorer now! Sturt are killing (90% wins?!?!)- and I'd assume most of their losses have come from their terrible U20s mens team who'll be "off the books" in a year or two. And their div 2s all seem strong, again particularly in the boys - suggesting the "they'll leave to play div 1 somewhere else" dream is just that.

- Eastern seem to be struggling in a big way. Some of their groups look alright though - 12 and 14 boys, 18 girls.

- North girls and West boys strong as always.

Reply #61955 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

Anon #61932

It's not just about posting stats. It's about posting MEANINGFUL stats and stating how you came about it. Everyone can post stats all they like, but if they don't mean anything it is a real big waste of everyones time.

Reply #61960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They dont mean anything if your club isn't doing very well!

Reply #61964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

only the U20's div 1 team for sturt is bad the div two site has only lost one game.

Reply #61966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just like your whinging is a big waste of everyones time....

Reply #61967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As if u have this much spare time to do these stat's. my goodness me u must have a really exciting social life.

Reply #61991 | Report this post

Mugatu  
Years ago

Sleep - those little slices of death, how I loathe them

Edgar Allen Poe

Thats how people get stats produced like that.

Reply #61998 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

west girls were strong for a few years because of the woodville exodus to bearcats - what was it 20 odd players including 4 of the starting 5 from a div 1 grade?

Reply #62029 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

I agree the theory of good div 2 players leaving strong groups for elsewhere sounded correct at the time - but in reality - it has not happened - one reason is the rule

"can not approach" juniors from other clubs

I am sure if the approach rule was withdrawn some good div 2s would go elsewhere - it would depend on the players and coaches on offer

Reply #62030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny that the main push for the no approaching juniors comes from the weaker club complaining about their players moving to the strongewr clubs. Do you really think that parents can't work out for themselves that they kid would play div 1 at other clubs when they beat them in tournaments playing in div 2 teams.

And if the approach rule was withdraw the best players from the weaker clubs would go to the better clubs, so the divide would probably increase. Considering that the bette clubs already do a better job of recruiting country players and showing better results in player development.

Plus we would be teaching our players that loyalty count's for nothing!

Basketball is more about improving a person than whether they can play div 1 or not.

Reply #62049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

has anyone told Sturt or Forestville about the approach rule?

Reply #62050 | Report this post

Mugatu  
Years ago

Oh no I fear you have opened up a can of worms

Reply #62051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Forestville for a fact have approached players

Reply #62053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another Sturt/Forestville bash - yawn!

And anon - back up your "fact". State your name, and who from Forestville approached who. Or else you just look like a petty jealous fool with a chip.

Generally they don't need to approach players, players approach them.

Reply #62059 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't do it on Hoops SA. Contact the clubs directly if you have a concern. I don't want to deal with it here.

Reply #62060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have a Masters degree in Stat's and have put something together that might reflect on the performance of the clubs... but only by stat's. This was done only from div 1 and it was worked out as follow's. 10 clubs in the comp, the team on top was awarded 10pts, 2nd 9pts, 3rd 8pts and so on. Any team who did not have a team in the comp got awarded 0 pts. Seperated into gender and max any club could score per gender was 60. Total score/60 = % for the club.

Girls
Sturt - 45pt - 75%
Eagles - 44pts - 73%
North - 43pts - 72%
Norwood - 42pts - 70%
Southern - 35pts - 58%
Woodville - 33pts - 55%
South - 30pts - 50%
West - 24pts - 40%
Easterns - 15pts - 25%
Centrals - 6pts - 10%

Boys
Sturt - 50pts - 83%
Norwood - 42pts - 70%
West - 40pts - 67%
Forestville - 36pts - 60%
North - 34 pts - 57%
South - 34 pts - 57%
Southern - 33pts - 55%
Woodville - 22pts - 37%
Easterns - 19pts - 32%
Centrals - 12pts - 20%

Overall
Sturt - 79%
Norwood - 72%
Forestville - 66%
North - 63%
West - 63%
Southern - 55%
South - 53%
Woodville - 30%
Easterns - 28%
Centrals - 15%

Outstanding perforamce would be a percentage above 80. Anything above 60% is a good performance. Anything below 40% often results in a club who is struggling to field teams or has a poor performance.

It took me less then 10 minutes to work this out on computer and almost 20 minutes to enter this on the forum.

Reply #62072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well bugga me

Reply #62106 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:34 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754