Joe Morgenstern
Years ago

Bandwagon or loyal Sixers fans?? You tell me.

Sixers Fans

After I got home from a social function I had to attend I decided to read a few of the so-called supporter reactions from loyal Sixers fans, low and behold some of the crappolla I read what an absolute disgrace. I guess in one way it is no surprise that bandwagon fans saying what they are as it happens in every sport and disgruntled fans are only angry at the moment but some of the comment from posters that are calling for Phil Smyth's head or suggesting that David Cooper is the least talented player in the NBL and then moving on to Willy Farley vs. Jacob Holmes and the comments the comments attributed to his personality were bordering on illegal and defamatory. Please don't question players commitment or ability to play the game, if they are in the side they have ability and are no in the side because they

A win is a win and a loss is simply a loss but put things into perspective and looking at the situation in the manor it deserves, the side didn't have Brett Maher (bit like Brisbane trying to win with out Michael Voss or Essendon without James Hird) and was not going to lose that home court elimination final any anyway better sides have gone up against Brisbane and lost by that margin. If the side loses the home elimination final in the same way (no effort and no heart) then criticize the coach and players as they would have had time to prepare and gain motivation from a few resent losses (Cairns, Townsville and Brisbane) but don't do it when there is no motivation on the end of the line.

Sure 43 points was an arse whipping but what is the difference between a 1 point loss and losing by 50? (Other than 49) nothing as the players will be able to recover mentally and regain the needed confidence in there own performance and over the next week will go over the tape; study why they lost and how they allowed that to happen and next game come out with a high level of confidence. In fact if we do play Brisbane or Cairns DON'T YOU THING IT WOULD BE GREAT MOTIVATION? 7 to 10 days to get ready for the elimination final at home, I am confident enough to guarantee a win. I am going to suggest that whom ever the Sixers play they will win that elimination final at home by over 10 points.

Only a bandwagon fan will question there heart and desire until they lose an important game in the same circumstances.

Topic #6052 | Report this topic

I have to agree JM you only have to look at the close games at the start of the season to see that deep down the sixers have heart and know how to win. I am positive of a reversal of form and a finals win, Brett back to full fitness will obviously help though!

Reply #68614 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Joe - as you clearly state you didnt see the game so may II suggest you watch it before you make comments about other peoples opinions on the game.

You ask whats the difference between 1 point and 50 - again I say watch the game! I wouldnt be annoyed if they lost by 50 but gave their best effort. As it was only a couple of players had the pride to put in any effort, sue it didnt change things come finals time but plesae show some pride in your teams colours and at least try (and for the record I thought Coops was one of the few who made an effort)

As for he Sixers not having Maher....I draw your attention to the fact that one Derek Rucker was missing from the Bullets - as was Copeland - the result.... a greater effort by the rest of the team to cover the loss

I hope your predictions on our next game are correct but I feel that the confidence whoever we play will have gained from our last meeting will have us starting very much on the back foot. Lets hope the effort rises and we can move onwards from the elimination match

Reply #68615 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

JM, what a lot of bull you speak. Don't refer to fans as bandwagon fans because of criticisms made about last night's game. The most loyal and committed fans would have been embarrased by last night's display. Statman hit the nail right on the head in saying the difference in a 1 point loss and a 50 point loss is pride. Particularly if that loss comes out of the non importance of that game. The team needs to look after its fans by putting in its best shot in every game. Sure if you don't mind losing a particular game do it by 5 or 10 points, not 43. I love my team and would not even entertain the possibility of dropping my support. Its this type of committment that makes fans critical. I agree with you on one point and that is that there is no need for people to be downright rude and personal about any particular player or the coach. That is unprofessional and does not show your support at all to the team. Criticising the game overall was quite a fair call from the fans.

Reply #68617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe

I wouldn't care if the team lost by 43 points if they were beaten by that amount after trying their hearts out.

I've seen teams over the years less talented come to adelaide and be beaten big scores but they have never relented in their attempt to play to the best of their ability.

We played without Brett and won in Perth not so long ago and Perth are in the playoffs.

Brisbane played without copeland and rucker, and with Black hampered by injury. Yet Black had a near triple double and McKinnon was awesome.

When a team can score more than a third of their points on uncontested layups, or on their own uncontested put backs. The defensive team sucks.

As Statman and EC said if you doubt that Adelaide played without pride you had to watch the game obviously us three did and it was embarassing.

To lose by 43 points to a team who they might be playing in an elimination final next week, a team who put them out in one game last year is a dismal performance.

Brett Maher is a legend - But even he would struggle especially coming back off of injury and he's had a few injuries this year - his fitness must be suffering albiet slightly - to be a 43 point difference.

The mental edge will be with either Cairns or Brisbane over the sixers coming in to the eliminations and I'd be very surprised to see us win it.

Only hope that we put in more of an effort or if we don't its not shown on foxtel so i don't have to witness it first hand.

Reply #68634 | Report this post

vince l  
Years ago

You don't flirt with form. A loss by 50 on the cusp of the finals, regardless of ins or outs is a bad portent for the next week when the intensity lifts.

If it takes a final to get us up then the coach had better consider if his messages are getting through?

I remember Brisbane did the same thing to us in the final last year.

We were outplayed and outcoached. We didn't respond to the game. We didn't respond to the circumstances. We got belted hard and early and never got back.

It ain't a bandwagon, its the game.

Reply #68648 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

http://www.hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/forumlist/6047/#68668

(#68668)

Right with you Joe!

Reply #68670 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Statman - Brisbane might have put in extra effort (flash back to elim final last season) because they actually had SOMETHING TO LOSE. If they lost then likely an away elim final game. If they won then a home elim final.
Who had more to gain from this game?

Reply #68671 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Couldnt agree more wak - they put in a heap of extra effort and came away with the result they needed. The loss wasnt what really bothered me it was the way we went about it. I want my team to show pride in their performance and be able to hold their heads high - win lose or draw. I dont feel that many of the guys could do that after the game

Reply #68687 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Lost pride...

Anyone watch the cricket tonight and hear the commentators' thoughts when a few of the South African guys weren't bothering to even try and post a respectable score? People were walking out of the stadium while the batsmen just went for singles, and only one of their newer guys whacking a few sixes made the last 15 overs at all entertaining.

Too many times this year the intensity just hasn't been there with the Sixers and I think the coaches have to have some responsibility for bringing that to the team. Who else is going to do it? Reesy is too jokey, Nashy is too quiet, Cooper is still new to the team, Oscar/Jacob/Hill/NJH too young, Will sometimes seems too apart from the team, Dusty is pretty quiet too. Brett is the only other one who I could imagine doing it. In past years, Cat would've done it.

Reply #68690 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

You want intensity Isaac? Bring back the Nuclear Sub Sapwell! Always lifted for those finals appearances and took the team with him. This is what's lacking... and defence.

Whether we will limp out of the finals race again is yet to be seen.

'I want my team to show pride in their performance and be able to hold their heads high - win lose or draw.'
Statman, your quote maybe good enough for a banner for the elim final? (just don't show it to the opposition or they might get some ideas).

Reply #68705 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

wak, I think the team ran their first defense-oriented training within the last month or so. If true, don't you think that's a bit late in the picture?

I imagine the league-leading team would've been running a focus on defense all season long.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping we can take it as far as possible like every other fan, but I just wonder if more couldn't be done to lift the intensity of the team.

Kent Brockman can post about our roster being less talented than that of other teams but take a look at the Kings who are #1 - you've got Bruton and Smith, fair enough. Then a bit of an unknown import, roleplayer Sheridan (their Mark Nash), Knight who's averaging less than Oscar and then after that it's all first and second year players. I think they've had games where they've started two rookies and knocked off teams like the Hawks and Taipans. You can barely count Barlow's first two years (rare opportunities) and Kendall's rookie year was restricted to 12 games before he was injured. When they've had Bruton out for a couple of games, or Martin missing most of the season, they've adapted and succeeded despite it.

And Goorjian has them top of the table and young talent would be lining up for a spot in the roster. No way in hell is Joe Ingles coming to the Sixers, I'll tell you now.

Remember December 23? We went to Sydney without Maher suiting. They gave Susnjara 15 minutes, Crosswhite 22 and BJ Carter 14, and still won by 44 after being up by 42 at three-quarter time. Smith and Bruton played 22 and 26 or so minutes respectively. I saw us play in Brisbane - despite playing horribly, we were within 15 and out came the 5-for-5 substitution.

Take Maher out of the team and we have no steady hand and no leadership.

I would bet that the team, in those situations, are really wanting direction and a big kick in the butt from their coach.

Reply #68708 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I was at the same Brissy game Isaac when teh 5 in 5 out sub happened. All around us the Brissy fans thought "oh well Adeaide have given up"

I hate to say it but a player like Mick Hill (God I cant stand him) would be exactly what we need in games when we seem a bit flat. He can get out there and start something - get under the oppositions skin and get some fire in his teams belly. Cat used to do it brilliantly - a bit of a niggle and away he would go - the rest of the team then used to get caught up in the emotion and follow him. Our team just doesnt seem to have someone with that personality this year and this has shown out in a couple of the last games. Maybe Phil needs to jump up and down on the sideline and get a tech to fire things up?

Oh well - lets hope they all have a great week on the track and come out breathing fire this week. Im sure if we all play to our potential Hunter/Cairns wont know what hit em.

Reply #68724 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Can I ask you Joe, have you ever played sport at a high level?
Your comments are ridiculous and absurd! "What is the difference between a 1 point loss and a 50 point loss"! That to me shows that you probably don't even play sport full stop!
"but don't do it when there is no motivation on the end of the line."
No motivation??? How about pride? How about everytime I step on the court, i'm playing for myself, my team mates, my coach, my fans and my state! How about it's the last game before heading into a knockout semi final? Three losses out of your last three games! Have you heard of momentum? The last thing you want to be having is a loss of astronomical proportions right before finals. There is no way and I mean no way that the sixers will bounce back from that loss! There is no way with the team we have that they have the self belief and the experience that they can come back after that humiliating loss and beat a team that will be coming into Adelaide after a big finals win.
Let's look at how Brisbane compare against the top 4 teams...
VS Sydney...
Loss by 11
Win by 13 (Sydney without Roberts for first time)
Loss by 27

VS Melbourne...
Loss by 2
Loss by 9
Loss by 25

VS Wollongong...
Loss by 7
Loss by 39
Win by 3 in O/T (Wollongong without Saville and Ballinger restricted to 11 minuts due to injury)

VS Adelaide...
Loss by 1
Win by 21
Win by 43

Brisbane are far from a Championship team and so are the Sixers.
Oh and to state, "and anyway better sides have gone up against Brisbane and lost by that margin." Can you name one??? Brisbane's biggest win for the season was 45..against West Sydney!!! Yet you seem to think that being on the same level as West Sydney is nothing to be concerned about!!!
Again, you have no idea about competition and no concept about pride...

Reply #68733 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And I think it's fair to say that Panther knows something about playing with intensity. Decent example.

Reply #68736 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Beautifully put Panther

Reply #68747 | Report this post

Joe Morgenstern  
Years ago

"There is no way and I mean no way that the sixers will bounce back from that loss! There is no way with the team we have that they have the self belief and the experience that they can come back after that humiliating loss and beat a team that will be coming into Adelaide after a big finals win." Panther 2006

FFS, I didn't and would never try and justify a performance like that so don't make me out to be the bad guy for telling some of you lot to pull your head in. There is no point in dwelling on it, it happened, time to move on. I am lead to presume by that last reaction by Panther that no one will turn up Saturday night, as the Sixer has no chance at wining? Good on you then, enjoy your evening.

The point I was trying to make is that losing by 1 point or losing by 43 points should not do any damage to the player self confidence or future performances as a team, and if it does then is a far more important point as the coach has not don't his job and built the side confidence up on the training track.

If the Sixers are a fake side and some how masqueraded there way through out the season to finish in 4th spot and don't deserves to be there then they will get found out, but they are not a fake side, they have a very talented squad of players and an even talented group of coaches and training staff. The 2 losses in during the regular season that stood out from the rest would have been the loss to Brisbane (Rd 14) and the king's losses (Rd 17) the game that followed them 2 losses the Sixers Beat Perth at home and beat West Sydney. That was the point I was trying to make, confidence in the playing group or coaching group should not be lost from within there own group and especially from outside the group.

In 1997 (the day princess Dianna was killed Rd 22) the Adelaide Crows lost to Essendon who were sitting 10th on the ladder by 8 goals and 4 week latter they won the first of 2 premierships. In 1998 the Adelaide Crows lost to the Melbourne Demons by 11 goals in a semi final at the MCG, 3 weeks later they won the premiership on the same ground. Sides have been known to comeback after facing some sort of adversity and defining moment in there season.

What does it matter if I played sport at a high level? Your accusation is that I don't have price in performances or would tank a game that didn't matter? You don't know me so please don't presume that I have any of those idiosyncrasy in my behaviours.

But for the sake of this argument, yes I did played basketball (District reserves) and Australian Rules football (SANFL Under 19's) approximately 10 years ago. Every time I played any game I knew we could win, realistically or not (I had that self confidence in my team mates, coaches and as well as my own game) if we lost and it did happen (and yes it happens to everyone) as soon as a game was over it would be forgotten about and it was time to move on to the next game. If we lost by 50 points or 1 point it was time to move on and work on the principals that made us a good side, regardless of ladder position or playing personal.

It was embarrassing and I hope the player who played that game were embarrassed but I have not given up that they can and will turn it around this Saturday night against whom ever they play.

Reply #68776 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Im starting to come round on you Joe. Well Said. I agree with you thouroghly.

Reply #68783 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Joe, you have so many holes in your arguement it's not funny. That's fantastic that you support your team even when they are pathetic, but this isn't under 10's mate. If you don't think that losing your last three games (the last of which was a flogging) going into finals won't have an effect on a players psyche then you are living with Alice in Wonderland!
To quote...
"The point I was trying to make is that losing by 1 point or losing by 43 points should not do any damage to the player self confidence or future performances as a team, and if it does then is a far more important point as the coach has not don't his job and built the side confidence up on the training track."
Besides it not making much sense, you are saying that if they had of lost by one then they would be mentally in the same state they are in now? Hey Joe...wake up!
The Crows had a very "EXPERIENCED" team back when they won their Premierships, the Sixers don't. Besides Rees and Maher (and Willie to a limited extent) the team is not exactly overflowing with smart players (if you could call Rees that!!!).
I'm not saying don't go to the game as they need as much support from their fans going into this one more than ever but be realistic, looking at form I think the boys will have a tough time getting the 'W' on Saturday.
And another thing Joe, yes I don't think you have much pride, as you stated,"...if we lost and it did happen (and yes it happens to everyone) as soon as a game was over it would be forgotten about.."
If you got spanked by 43 points and as soon as that game was over you forgot about it, then you have no pride...
Listen to your teams song (and it's obvious you go for the Crows)...We're the "PRIDE" of South Australia...

Reply #68787 | Report this post

The Black Wiggle  
Years ago

Joe, for someone who has had a go at KB for his spelling in the past I must say the spelling and grammar in your last post sucks ;)

Reply #68794 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Panther - Be it Cairns or Hunter we get do you think we will win this week?

Reply #68802 | Report this post

Joe Morgenstern  
Years ago

Thanks for your constructive criticism regarding my vocabulary and literature skills, I have taken that on board.

I guess we (Sixers fans) will simply have to wait until 9:50 pm Saturday night to see how many they (not us any more) lose by this week.

Maybe a petition can be made up and spread around the dome so supporters of the club can show your support to the sacking of Phil and Steve, because they don't care what happens in a game or how the club is perceived to the viewing public, right?

It is simply impossible for the team to win now so there is no need to go.

Skip not that you need it but just a tip, you may want to change your mind about saying you agree with me, as siding with me is like siding with the Gestapo; only bad thanks can possibility happen.

Reply #68803 | Report this post

Joe Morgenstern  
Years ago

I have pride in the Sixer history and future, I also have pride in the Adelaide Crows and South Australia as a state and YES I have pride in myself. Panther you can say what you like about my post but I don't give a flying fuck.

I simply don't dwell on it; it's done and dusted and something I cannot control so why worry about something I cannot control.

Reply #68806 | Report this post

Tony blair  
Years ago

Joe by the fact you came back and posted that Panther could go take a flying .... after you had already posted means in this instance you DID dwell on it.

If you haven't you wouldn't have posted as you did :)

Reply #68817 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Jeez Joe - Seems like you can dish out criticism but just cant take it!

Reply #68823 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Joe, agree with most of what you have stated... unfortunately I don't think the team will be thinking the same way they would if they lost by 43 or 1.

Putting that aside, players are supposedly professional sportspeople and their mental makeup should be totally focused on the next game, not on how much they were ridiculed last game.

Isaac, totally agree with you on leaving the practive on defense a bit late in the season and that should be run all the time. Brad and butter of a team to be considered a challenger.

However, too much negativity here - you're either passionate supporters who have lost their way, or two dickheads in a front bar at the local pub.

Basically, SUPPORT your team here guys, no need to go at each other!
We all want the team to win, and they're going to need your support!

Reply #68988 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:47 am, Fri 10 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754