NAHP
Years ago

Locked: Parental influence on div choice

How much say should parents get in what Div their child plays in? If that child is a 'BIG FELLA' does that automatically allow him that right? If he doesn't put in at training, doesn't respect the coach and is disruptive to the other player's. Shouldn't the Div coach make this assessment as he knows the player? Presidents and coordinators who haven't seen him play 1 game, but impede the Div coach from making the best team available.

Topic #6433 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

None, end of thread!

Reply #72280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parents should have no influence whatsoever. The childs ability, maturity and age are the coaches main selection criteria.

Been there, and are doing it !!

Reply #72310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is that some parents have their own agenda!!

Reply #72505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a friend of a parent with a BIG FELA, I find it hard to beleive that parent would want their child to be in a division any higher than what their abilities can handle. Whatever happened to the kids getting some enjoyment from their sport instead of it becoming a nit picking social gathering for their parents??????

Reply #72554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I must admit though I see a lot of suckhole parents subtly trying to influence the coaches so there son/daughter get a better go. Always sucking up whenever they can after games and at trainings under the guise of 'just being socialable'.Unfortunately I also see some younger/inexperienced coaches fall for this. I'm sure this will bring a smile to a lot of parents faces who read this.

Reply #72742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still don't believe ANY Parent should have the right to stop coaches or committee members in anyway in deciding which child goes in what Div

Reply #72760 | Report this post

xl  
Years ago

it happens at a lot of clubs even when kids are in div 1 there is pressure put on the coach to make them starting 5 over other kids or even more court time,

Reply #72799 | Report this post

Bill Hopkins  
Years ago

It's been a long couple of weeks.....

Let's see;

How can we disrupt our Club the most and upset the most people so that they know "who's the boss"

I know, let's sack the two U/14 Div 1 coaches!! That should be fun!!...Nah nah, let's go for a couple more, there must be something else we can do....

Oh I know, let's tell the Under 12 Boys Div 1 Coach he has to keep the BIG MAN. That should set the tongues wagging!

Well, in similar circumstances, I upset the applecart several years ago when, as Coach of NCT U/12 Div 1, I brought Ben Trebilcock for Div 5 to Div 1 (Owen Green was the Div 2 Coach). I can still hear the howls of protest! (not from Owen though)

Ben went on to play State at U/16/18/20 and is now a serviceable ABA player (although he should be playing for us).

Reality

Basketball favours the big man

As for the Under 14s, the two circumstances were completely different, however our planned outcome is the same; ie Basketball Excellence

We have appointed Travis Leaver as our Basketball Operations Manager to set the guidelines for our basketball progress. Travis dictates (and, yes the word is "dictates") our basketball direction. People who know Travis would understand that he is extremely well-qualified to help us get our Junior Programme in order. For those that don't know him, he's a former State Junior Player, a Senior Championship winner

We have sought, and followed his advice.

And, oh, he has no kids playing in the Club!!

Travis and other people (Heath Jury, Matt Alexander) have been working to raise the level and expectations of our players and coaches so that we can take the next step.

And they have no kids playing at the Club!

We have scheduled a meeting in our Clubrooms 7.30 pm next Tuesday 15 March, to speak about recent developments and make sure that we are all on the same track.

At that meeting, it will be made clear that if you don't want to fit in to the our philosophy on improving the Club, or you put your child's position/progress before the Club, then you will be given the Form 13A or 13B, (you'll need to ring me 0418 844 081) to find out what they are.

Everyone is invited.

Finally;

We have been voted in to our positions to govern the game within our Club by the paying members of STBA.

If you really have a problem, get involved and vote us out.

Bill Hopkins
President
STBA
(also Coach U16/4 Gold Boys)

Reply #72815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well said Isaac, to me reading this it looks like Bill has the decency to put his mobile number and a REAL name to his post - he is already one step ahead of you and will be for a long time...does it make you feel better by bagging and swearing on a public forum using a real person and hiding behind an alias

Reply #72889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry that should read one step ahead of Down the drain and Am I next not Isaac, sorry

Reply #72891 | Report this post

To everyone that has posted in this thread, take a good hard look at yourselves, if you have concerns over the direction YOUR club takes do you think a public forum is the avenue to do it?

Only 3 people have put there names to the above posts...

1. Bill Hopkins - President
2. Isaac Forman - Site Administrator
3. Heath Jury - Junior coaching director.

The rest of you are rumour mongers, and an unnecessary distraction to the club.

Come to the meeting on Tuesday and voice your concerns in person and be sure to BRING YOUR FACTS before you fly off the handle about the recent decisions that have been made.

Heath Jury
Junior Coaching Director

Reply #72892 | Report this post

dianne  
Years ago

Being a parent ,coach and very active member at the club - Southern Tigers. I would like to extend my support to the direction of the club. Unfortunately some tough decisions have been made for I believe appropriate reasons. I have been at the club for 6/7 years under different executive committees and our core business and direction ie giving quality coaching to all levels is looking the best it has for quite some time.
I am talking about the whole club,planning for the future,encouraging new players etc.

Reply #73006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to Southern and I wish the committee all the best in making decisions that are hard. They might not be liked by some, but committee's only have to make decisions that they believe are right for the club.

This is a public forum to talk about basketball in "general" and not to air out our dirty laundry. Voicing your concerns here is going to do more harm then good. I recently had an issue with my club and I raised it with the people concerns. It was amazing that the problem got resolved with little or no fuss. I did not come on this forum and raised my concerns here as I doubt it would have done anything to fix my problem directly, probably made it more difficult.

By the sounds of it, Southern have a meeting in the coming weeks that is OPEN to everyone concerns. To everyone who has had a swing at Southern, I would hope you attend that meeting to express your concerns.

All the best Bill, Trav & Heath!!!

Reply #73029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dianne,

"quality coaching to all levels is looking the best it has for quite some time."

Not sure about that - who has been brought in to replace the U12 boys and both U14 coaches?
The U12 boys coach is a long-time much respected coach from Southern, NCT and (I think) Adelaide Southern, who has coached numerous successful younger age teams.
The U14 boys coach is I believe a Level 2 coach, who replaced last year Southern's only (again, I think..) SASI coach who was also shown the door. The U14 girls coach was another long time successful coach, JCD maybe(?), and State girls assistant coach.

These four coaches have a ton of experience and some have higher level knowledge (Touhy, Balfour). Surely these are the people you want around to teach your younger players how to strive for the next level?
Instead, it seems, you have a committee member - who was coaching a boys AND girls div 1 team last I saw - appearing to go manic and do whatever he wants to suit himself (not the club). What are his coaching credentials compared to the 4 coaches shown the door?

I'd be VERY interested to know whether the new coach put the committee members son back into div 1!

Reply #73030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about sparing a thought for the child. He can only be 12 or 13 and how do you think he must feel with the sniping that would be going on behind his back that he only got the position because of his Dad. (and before you jump on me I do not know any of these people so I can not comment on whether or not he has the skills to be in Div 1)

Reply #73038 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No more in this thread please. If you've got a concern, take it up with the parties it concerns directly. If you don't like the response either work the official channels to make a change, or vote with your wallet.

Reply #73109 | Report this post

Brenton Davies  
Years ago

I would not normally waste my time entering a thread were the facts have been totally distorted however enough is enough.

If you have a problem with me or the direction the Club has taken in the past 6 months ring me on my mobile or turn up next Tuesday night at 7.30pm to have your say.

See you there!

Brenton Davies
STBA
Junior Vice President
0418 804 187

Reply #73135 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Stop posting in this thread! To the individual who keeps posting after I continually delete your information, please don't bother coming back to the forum. Your post is being deleted for a reason!

Reply #73534 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:41 pm, Wed 15 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754