Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Hoops at 2010 Comm. Games

Saw Phil Smyth's column in the paper whenever that was (may have been today) saying that basketball may not be high on the list of required sports for the 2010 Games, what with 100-point margins and all.

How's this for an idea? Just have one competition, open to all national teams of any gender.

I think the Opals would do bloody well against the likes of the Scottish and Isle of Man men's teams - I reckon they could even medal. And how good would the Boomers-Opals grudge match be?

Topic #6629 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

There will be no Basketball at the next Commenwealth games (India) - I believe the host gets to decided on these 'extra' sports what is included and isnt.

I doubt if Basketball would be back in the Commenwealth Games ever?

Reply #74500 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Are you on drugs Bo ?

Im sure the Opals would love to risk Jacksons leg against an angry and embarrassed Scottish mens team.NOT.

If Canada had got off its arse and come out we might be tested , but cross gender games arent a good idea.
Unless you are an Under 16 div 1 Boys team playing the Lightning team.

Reply #74501 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What about, to remove that lazy last quarter when the game gets a little more relaxed, they set it so that instead of playing four quarters, they play first to 100?

Boomers could see how quickly they could get to 100.

I want to see a variant of basketball tried where dunks are worth four, a player successfully getting a block has a foul REMOVED from their name, and where teams are racing to 100. Wouldn't that be fast-paced and entertaining?

Reply #74502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watch the Boomers lose to NZ

Reply #74503 | Report this post

Years ago

Most of Canada's best who would consider playing for their country are either playing in college (Denham Brown) or the NBA (Samuel Dalembert, Jamaal Magloire) right now, that's why they didn't appear. I'm sure they could have made it competitive. Imagine if those guys plus Steve Nash played!

Reply #74506 | Report this post

nba.nba  
Years ago

Why would the majority of Canada's national team want to leave their NBA (or NCAA) team to waste their time playing in the Commonwealth Games??? Get real.

AND if they would play, I believe there would be a VERY good chance they would win the gold medal. Nobody could stop Nash....and if he did have an off game, they have enough good players to beat any team in Melbourne this year.

Sorry, but that is just the truth, I think.

Reply #74533 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The success of basketball at any future commonwealth games would depend on timing, which depends largely on hemisphere.

The manchester comm games were in August - far more conducive to international competition than March.

Reply #74542 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

whoever said watch the Boomers lose to NZ is crazy..... after boomers beat england in the semis..... NZ gonna get railroaded

Reply #74565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i THINK THEY COULD INTRODUCE A HANDICAP SYSTEM WHERE A WEAKER OPPOSITION STARTS ON 40 POINTS OR SOMETHING THIS COULD BE USED IN OTHER SPORTS LIKE NETBALL OR HOCKEY AND EVEN SOME INDIVIDUAL SPORTS LIKE THE RUNNING THEY COULD BE HANDICAPPED LIKE HORSES TO EVEN OUT THE FIELD.

Reply #74601 | Report this post

nba.nba  
Years ago

I hope you are not serious.

Reply #74617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know that FIBA is very keen for basketball to continue at the games, and would love to see it at in India. It's a massive market and you cant blame them.

Reply #74632 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Handicaps, changed formats, stuff like that will never happen, if I was Goorj i'd be playing my bench players and telling the guys to try and make the games a little closer, for the spectators, and the future of bball in the comm games sake.

Reply #74775 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754