Nutwork
Years ago

FOX Sports Cricket Deal

Cricket Australia has just announced a deal with FOX sports to broadcast domestic cricket live, with a focus on Wednesday nights. I wonder what this will mean for the coverage of NBL, particularly BIG WEDNESDAY.
Will we see less travel (even more focus on the eastern seaboard), delayed telecasts, or maybe even less games shown.

Topic #7015 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would love to see one day a Fox Basketball channel.

How hard could that be?

Show 2-3 games a week live, and show the others delayed, even during the week.

Also try and show some NBA games.

And also show some NBL/NBA games from the past to fill in the time.

It doesn't cost much to film and produce a game, especially when it isn't live. Maybe the teams can split the cost in this and get their team/sport on TV. A game may cost $5,000 to produce.

The Clubs need to get together on this and push it as the NBL isn't doing much.

The only problem with this is it is hard to attract new people to Basketball when they have their own channel. They need to get at least one game a week on FTA, buy the time if needed and sell the advertising themselves (that is the NBL or clubs I am referring to).

Soccer is thinking the same, they are worried that all 4 games are only on Foxtel. Foxtel are looking at doing a deal with FTA where they pay a FTA channel to get one of the four games on FTA, this showing people their product and getting them to buy Fox to get more.

Reply #78680 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

It shouldn't have too much of an effect you would think, one on FS1 and the other on FS2.
And considering they have so many Kings games as it is, I'm not too worried about the new range of coverage.

Reply #78681 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

5 Grand to film and produce a game of bball - you have got to be kidding dont you!

Reply #78704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Statman,

To film it and produce it after the game has finished you are looking at approx $5k.

Reply #78712 | Report this post

Channel 7  
Years ago

78712 - Im sure your correct if your talking about filming with your handy cam!

Reply #78747 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

twenty four, one on fs1 & one on fs2 sounds good in theory but what about the other sports. a league now has an agreement with fox, also the oz cricket team sometimes tours in summer (this year the one day games from nz were only on fox) not to mention golf, union, international soccer, nfl and more. I just don't think it is a foregone conclusion that nbl will keep as much coverage as it now has.

Reply #78750 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

As a person whi is nopt allowed to have fox, can someone tell me if the Fox Footy channel is on all year round? If not does it just vanish or do they put something else on? I agree with post #78680 that it would be good to have an all basketball channel. There is enough NBA / NBL Games to have it running conctantly thru the summer.
I dont see it happening though unfortunetly

Reply #78785 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

skip - not to mention European games and US college. IPTV is going to have to be a saviour here because our limited networks have a chokehold on Australian TV and Fox et al are moving into other areas (I talked at a party with someone from a production company that sells shows to Fox and the FTA networks and he said that the trend was firmly towards stuff like the newish Bondi show, and Search for a Supermodel and all that junk. Not a hint of interest in low-tier sport unfortunately.)

Reply #78786 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Well, if that's the case Isaac, let's flog them "Search for a Sixers Import", the reality show which shows the team in its quest to find a cheapish import.

Or: "The Dome", the reality series focusing on the trials and tribulations of those security guys in the white shirts who kick off the kids after the games who are just attempting to run around where their heroes have just run around, and who also have to pick up the soft rubbery courtside advertising thingies that I'm sure after everyone leaves the white-shirt guys use like pillows in playfights against each other.

Reply #78789 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What about R.A.T.S - same set as The Dome to save costs? Just kidding.

Actually, I did hear a whisper about someone looking to do a reality show on the trials and tribulations of a professional sports franchise. Maybe cover the progress of a rookie too?

Reply #78794 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Well, I only mentioned NBA/NBL as they are played when the AFL isnt on mostly. Dont most of the european leauges play thru opur winter? Agree tho that college ball could be on to, and lets not forget th WNBL as well. Not too mention a couple of highlights shows.
Heck, if needs be you could also chuck netball in there if it helps to get it going.

I'd also like to see something similar to the Sunday Footy Show where there are 4 or 5 people (mix of past and present players, that doesnt include carfino) sitting down discusing the previous games, upcoming games etc. They could have voting for Dunk of the Week, Play of the Week etc similar to the AFL's Goal and Mark. Throw in some sort of shooting competitions in the studios with a couple of kids teamed up with players.

One can only dream....

Reply #78808 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

In the paper (Advertiser) today that the soccer contract with Fox is worth $120M over 7 years. This more than 20 times per year the size of their TV deal for last season.

So, on a best guess, it would only be worth about $16M per year more than what the NBL is getting. Wow, that leaves the NBL behind in the dust like nothing else.

Imagine if the NBL was getting that. That is $1M to each club each year, plus change left over. It would more than pay for the salary cap of the entire league.

Bout time basketball really started looking at getting itself some market share. Oops, too late...

Reply #78856 | Report this post

TG  
Years ago

Unless Bogut or Newley, or whoever else is an up and coming Aussie player, makes a big impact in the NBA, I can't see the NBL or basketball in general getting any deal like that on Fox.

Soccer is the "World Game" and has such a huge following around the world. It was destined to command some money over here once guys like Kewell, Viduka, Schwarzer, etc got big recognition overseas and the Socceroos made the World Cup final. That has happened and Soccer is reaping the benefits.

Unfortunately Basketball doesn't have the same power. Australia is routinely in the World Cup of Basketball. But it's profile is no where near the Soccer World Cup so it doesn't guarantee any big contracts on TV or sponsorship. The NBA is up there in the world of big leagues, so if Bogut can improve each year and we can get a couple more Aussie over there plying their trade, then we are a chance to see some money.

But as the dollars keep going out to AFL, Cricket, NRL and now Soccer, basketball may continue to struggle.

There is one possible light at the end of the tunnel. (very faint though!!) As Foxtel continues to grab all the big name sports - they have interests in all of the big 4 listed above, plus Golf and Tennis which are also pretty lucrative and above basketball in viewer interest - it is slowly eating away at what FTA can show. Perhaps as FTA lose coverage of some of the more popular sports, they may be faced with getting sports like basketball back??? Thoughts...

Reply #78874 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

FTA isn't going to come knocking at the NBL's door. The way to get it back on air is for very motivated people to take the risk and partly finance production themselves, and then make it happen at a state-by-state level.

And even then, who wants to watch flat games with crowds of 3-4,000 people (or worse for teams like West Sydney). That doesn't represent basketball well.

Reply #78878 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:41 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754