basil faulty
Years ago

dropped u12 / 14 div 1 teams

I have heard centrals nad west will not field u12 div 1 girls teams - making the group only 8.

Surely we can loosen the 1 team per club div 1 rule to bulk the competition up a bit. Sturt and North could easily field a second competitive team.

It may be the same in u14s - but I think centrals will foeld a team.

Topic #708 | Report this topic

Curious  
Years ago

I think that you might find won't be that strong and neither will Sturt to field there Div 2 teams in a Div 1 comp.

Reply #7126 | Report this post

Sturt had two teams in the finals in U/12 div two last season, wih a large number of bottom age players. Plus their U/10's finishde top by a mile not losing a game for the year. Would easily be able to have two div 1 teams.

Reply #7130 | Report this post

THEFACTMIESTER  
Years ago

Basil,
All of the MEMBER clubs or the vast majority wanted it this way, "ONLY ONE TEAM PER CLUB IN DIVISION ONE".
The BASA Executive was in favour of allowing an extra team in Division One if it did not affect any other club and it was to be based on its merits and this did happen in the summer comp some time ago with a NORTH Under 16 girls team.
I thought that this was a positive thing for basketball and progressive for the BASA Executive but typically a group of presidents did not see this as a positive step but an attempt for the strong to get stronger!!!!!! so vetoed the decision.
They should have remembered that they have a right to have a division one team only to then say we are not strong enough to compete in that grade. (usre the rules when it suits)

Speak to your president about this to see what answer you!!!!!!!!

Reply #7133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the reason the weaker clubs resisted the double div 1 teams, was to make the better players from the stronger clubs that did not make div 1, move to the weaker clubs and thus even up the competition. That did not happn either

Reply #7135 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

If the member clubs can no enter a div 1 side, then I can not see no reason why a member club could then enter another Div 1 side? I think 10 teams should be the stardard for Div 1.

Reply #7147 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

some players moved - but not many - over a period of time it may make a difference - if i was facing my 5th succesive season in div 2 at a strong club - i would seriously consider a swap to the right group - to play div 1.

I think the clubs should be allowed 2 to even the numbers up to 10 - but not one club get it - The vacancies should be shared - ie 1 grade forestville,another sturt, then north etc.

Reply #7155 | Report this post

World B. Free  
Years ago

What the,

I just love the way people like yourself think that playing happy campers is the way to go. Why don't we just let some other club nominate a 2nd div 1 team when some other players are better. This will make Ma and Pa Kettle happy with the competition. Don't worry that little Johnny is getting their arse kicked because they aren't good enough. After a season of humiliation they quit the sport.

The best kids, from the best div 2 team should be the one's who get to play in div 1 for the winter season.

Reply #7157 | Report this post

Wei-Do-Ping  
Years ago

This will also help mr farkin and mrs farkin and the whole farkin family. Sorry couldn't resist that moment.

Reply #7172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyway we have been over this one 650 times. Double div 1 teams are not going to happen!!!!! right or wrong. The competition needs to be strong and even to get SA more competative with Vics ect. The strong Clubs are going to do every thing in there power to keep players, they are not about to develop juniors and then say "after all the work that has gone into this kid, who would like him/her. Year she/he has been with us since under 10s but thats OK"
Wake up everyone maybe this is the real reason domestic comps are popular all of a sudden. Just maybe the strong clubs are just going to create their own competition to manage all the numbers.
What we really need to do is to get the weaker clubs back on track, or they will just disappear.
How is that going to happen?

Reply #7177 | Report this post

Daryl Simmons  
Years ago

Anonymous

I agree that the competition will improve if all Clubs are strong, and most of our problems will go away if this can happen. I just want to pull you up on your reasons behind the domestic comps.
I can only speak on behalf of Sturt, but the main driving force behind the City South is to get more kids playing the game. Forestville and Sturt are going through the motions of clearing the path for clubs to work together. Our intention is to duplicate these comps all over Adelaide in conjunction with all Clubs. If these low cost comps can attract more children playing the sport, all clubs will benefit, and hopefully long term the competition.

Reply #7182 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

The people that do the hard work deserve the rewards - good on Forestville and Sturt for organizing something - how successful it is - time will tell.

Reply #7427 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:13 pm, Mon 6 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754