Anonymous
Years ago

Boomers in for rude shock says Goorjian

Gorjian says that boomers are in for a rude shock come the WC's.... i say if we get any lower then we did at athens (which is poor anyway) we should ditch him!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=99445

Topic #7226 | Report this topic

Indiana  
Years ago

That is one of most un-Australian articles I have read.
We have always punched above our weight and will continue to!!
If he is looking for excuses he can get stuffed IMO.
He has had a full lead up, since he got rid of Smyth, and he has plenty of talent to work with.
Brett Maher should still be there ,if he is complaining about lack of experience.

We will not cop this bullshit!!

Reply #81124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

his interview that I watched on Fox was interesting naming Phil and Boti of having no idea

Reply #81125 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, there's been a bit of a radio brawl happening recently. Smyth said it was the best ever team. Goorjian said that he had no idea and was just being bitter. Smyth said that he stood by his comments.

Sure, there's history and maybe it's fair for Goorjian to read into Smyth's words that he was being set up, but is the team not legitimately talented? Whether the competition from other nations has improved beyond our own improvement is a separate debate.

In the past we've had Longley in the squad, but you'd think Bogut will provide more inside offense and aggression, and we also have some reasonable talent at other positions. I think we're missing the experience of Gaze and Heal most, but with the step down to Bruton, we're taking a step up in the paint, IMO.

Reply #81126 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Easily a step up in the 4 and 5 spots. When did we last have 4 guys (Bogut, Schenscher, Anstey & Andersen) who are legitimately able to play the 4 & 5 spots well at international level? Longley never played in his prime. Bradtke was serviceable. Dorge/Borner/Rogers etc. were marginal international players IMO.

Bruton/Black/Smith/Newley aren't quite Gaze/Heal/Maher but I don't think they're horrible, either.

I wouldn't say it's unrealistic to expect Australia to compete with Lithuania, Brazil, Greece and Turkey. In fact, I'd say it'd be disappointing if we didn't sneak a win or two against those sides.

Yes, it is a hard draw, but I also agree with Smyth that it's one of (if not the) most talented Australian sides in recent history. Another finish outside the top 8 would definitely be considered a disappointment, IMO.

Reply #81131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The thing that stands out loud and clear is our country has no idea," Goorjian told AAP.

"It has absolutely zero idea what we're competing against and what's going on in the rest of the world.

Ouch, but we're still 3rd overall (Men/Women/juniors/Seniors) in the FIBA standings.

We'll be fine at the WC as the new system includes the following plays:
- Box 1 for Bogut
- Horns for CJ
- Shakes for New Money

He was also quoted as saying "We just got to find a way to GRIND this thing out"

Reply #81138 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

outside of top 8 and gorjian can fuck off give the job to westover

Reply #81148 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Clearly no love lost between Phil and Gorg.

But as much as I don't like saying it, Bor Gorg buys and sells our Phil.

As a coach tactically, developmentally, promotionally he's got it all.

That said I am getting tired of him continually talking down our chances and knowledge of the game.

Reply #81150 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

He should be sacked on those comments alone. Whether Phil is bitter or not, its still the best looking lineup we have ever had.
Unless Maher turned down playing for them, goorjian is an idiot for not putting him in, or maybe hes just jealous that Smyth hasnt had to buy players to win championships(cough sydeny pays over salary cap cough)and woudnt put maher in because he plays for adelaide.
As for Australia not knowing whats going on in the rest of the world, I live in America and watch as many games as I can, european games aswell. We are in a good position regardless what that idiot says

Reply #81210 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Unbelievable. I read the '10 Best Things' article on the NBL site and at #10 was this speel about Smyth and Goorj media clash recently... I had no idea what the article was in reference to. All i could remember was that Smyth stated that the WC team was one of the most talented ever - which is undeniably true. What's Goorj reading into this? Perhaps he's feeling the pressure of having to actually perform or get the chop and feels Smyth is setting him up with the comment that he has such a great team that he should perform without question? This is all i can read into this.

From what i have read above with Isaac and others filling in the blank spaces i still can't see why Goorj is making such a big fuss. Smyth is totally correct in what he said about the team. Goorj doesn't realise this? He picked them didn't he?

Great ambassador for the game our Goorj is with comments like that.

Reply #81295 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:08 pm, Fri 10 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754