Neo
Years ago

Stern Fed Up with Complaints About Refs

While it's not exactly major news I did find this quote from RealGM.com interesting. Maybe some coaches and players here could open their minds to the basic theory of the man at the top of the NBA?

"When we started the season we said, `Let's tell the assistant coaches they don't have a lot to add to the dialogue with the officials,'" Stern said. "Next season's project will be to persuade the players. Since I've been commissioner there have probably been 35,000 calls a season times 22, and the next call that gets overturned because a player complained will be the first. So it's not a productive enterprise."

Topic #7517 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spoken like a man that never played.

Reply #84468 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They're not necessarily trying to get the past call changed, but influence the next one.

Reply #84476 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

in my experience the influence on the next call which concerns a player who just complained will be that the call will go against the complainer. I think in professional sports people that continually moan and groan to refs make themselves look really bad, their team look bad and the sport look bad.

Reply #84484 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

See every call made on Tim Duncan . I love the guys game , but i hate the bitching and whining . He is the biggest baby in the league .

Its particularly annoying when he gets a retaliation foul and then tries to talk the ref out of it b/c he missed one at the other end. Its like he wants to foul to stop the game and talk .

Reply #84503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh please Duncan is one of the quietest guys in the league and he may give a stare but not much else. Complaining to refs is a unique part of the game. A technical can get crowds fired up and change momentum. I love the passion that a bad call can create!

Its not pretty but its around to stay.

Reply #84538 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Yeh quiet everywhere else until theres a ref to complain to. He does whinge quite alot if u watch him.

Reply #84606 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Duncan is known around the NBA as one of the bitchiest players in the league, so not sure if you're right #84538

Reply #84629 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:07 pm, Sun 12 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754