Anonymous
Years ago

It's Time To Go......

Well, after the debarcle of the performnace of the SA Metro Mens teams at the recent under 18 champs, I think it would be timely in looking for another coach. I saw many of their games and I am afraid that Scott Loveday was just out coached and did not have the respect of any his players - they were all individuals.
I think Neil Gliddon has a lot to answer for!!!

Topic #7976 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought this was about Brian Goorjian losing the NZ series

Reply #89199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wat does Neil have to answer for????

If the boys dont gel during tranings and nationals then its responsablitlty of the coaching staff not SASI.

P.S Brian Goorjian NEEDS TO GO

Reply #89200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Brian Goorjian could become the coach of the under 18 boys!!!! He would do a better job than the current one!!!

Reply #89203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't usually agree with posts like this but sometimes it's a case of where there is smoke there is fire and this could be one of those cases.

Reply #89204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the problem is 90% of the time its the people posting have LITTLE integrity or NO credibility.

This state team was always going to struggle. If every volunteer state coach that puts their hand up to coach an average state team gets knocked by anonymous nobodies then every few years we will have a coachless state team.

Reply #89208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This team also had the same win/loss ratio as last years team who finished higher....with the same coach, so sometimes its the luck of the pool/draw you get.

Reply #89211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah yes, the great Australian pass time....knockers of everyone that is better than someone else. Pull your head in! you cannot win all the time it is nice but the facts are that as prevously stated these people are volenteers. Thank goodness someone cares about doing things for no reward. Give credit where credits due and leave the discision making to those in the know. Remember it is just a game and it's team oriented.Brian is not the first coach to loose to NZ.

Reply #89215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder which of the bitter Norwood boys started this thread...

Reply #89216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #89218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DOUBLE OUCH!!!!!!!

Reply #89224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, Goorjan isnt the first coach to lose to NZ. Just the first coach not to get sacked becuase he did.

Reply #89226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the team that Goorjan has now would have to be far stronger than the one Phil had a few years ago - wasn't Brett the only player with olypics experience?

Reply #89227 | Report this post

Troy  
Years ago

I believe Brian drew the series 2 all
I saw a couple of SA games and they were very poor - no structure, no enthusiasm and very individual. No 11 needs to pull his head in and learn to go left

Reply #89228 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Brian lost the series on a points countback, and the games the Boomers won they probably should have lost. Three missed free throws with 4 seconds left - that's NZ losing, not the Boomers winning.

Reply #89233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth the coach relied on favourite players too much. Team was playing really well when a certain gaurd was off. When he came back on team went down again. I don't blame the player for his " I can do it all attitude" I blame the coach. He should have pulled him into line and maybe the team would have done better.

Reply #89236 | Report this post

sween  
Years ago

Boo Hoo! Anon#89208.Coaching at state level requires responsibility and accountability. If Players perform badly the coach is responsible.They are the people who most influence player selection, attitude and court time. To suggest that no one will rock up to coach a state side is farcical at best. Coaches are competitors too! to gong at u/18 nationals is a big get. Given the b'all culture in this state, S.A. are always a chance to medal.

Reply #89246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you, I or others outside the program determine whether the players performed badly, or if they are just not that good (comparitively to other states)? Didn't this group also come fairly far down the order at 16 Nats too? Maybe it just isn't that strong a group?

Reply #89260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point, I saw a fair few games at the Nats, perhaps all hight is not the go, our guys seem to lack a bit of shall I say heart! Look at some of the other States, some were not suppose to get anywhere but did quite well on a bit of "TRUE GRIT" maybe some of the guys thought they would do quite well, they were huge, but as they say in the classics, size is not everything and look at who won the classics in Melb. not a very tall team, but they had a few goers!and at the end of the day there are 10 players on the team and 2- 3 coaches. unless you are made of teflon some things are bound to stick!!!

Reply #89297 | Report this post

Keith Hernandez  
Years ago

Anon 89208

I agree senseless "knocking" of a coach doesnt do anyone any good, but I think its reasonable for those who went and watched the SA team play (and even train), have a reasonable understanding of the game (even experience at that level) and viewed other games at the U/18 championship to make constructive criticism on the flawed coaching performance of the Metro Boys coaching staff.

I would have thought some intellectual, basketball related debate could begin on the following erros made:
- Selecting a team without overall balance
- Selecting a team by putting greater weight on training performace than the players actual performance in their District games (not practice matches).
- Having an offensive and defensive structure that suited the coaches historical style instead of catering to the team that was actually selected
- Not coaching games out when both the immediate result and overall medal contention was out of reach

Only by identifying our flaws can we learn from these mistakes and make future groups stronger.

Reply #89310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"intellectual, basketball related debate " You have to be kidding me keith. Not here mate!

Reply #89314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about not leaving the team to go and coach your ABA team. And throwing in the towl when you are out of medal contention.

What sort of message does that send to your team? And as coach would you have let your players leave and go play ABA?

And couldn't agree more sween Accountinbility and responsibility

IMO the team were not expected to be a top 4 team. But two teams did finish in the top 6 at Classics so it is not like they were a poor group. But not selecting 1 player from the team who finished 3rd may have come back to bit the coach on the butt. Especially considering 4 kids in the squad came from a club that were not even top 4 at State Champs nor performed well at Classics.

The way in which they performed was not up to scratch. And I am talking about how often the coach was out and watching junior games during selection. Why the coach didn't video other games to scout teams like other coaches. The way that their team did not play SA style ball, of hard full ct man defence. Nor organised offence. The way in which players sat around at the Stadium before and after games and looked like they didnt care.

The coach sets the tone and accepts responsibility.

Reply #89320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #89327 | Report this post

Quick E Mart  
Years ago

So this year's Metro team did poorly.....and two years ago they were just as bad.

The fault doesn't lie with a state coach who has the squad for 5 months.

The fault lies with:

1. SASI & Neil Glidden. No improvement over the two years

2. The players. very average skills, no stand out players at all with very little heart. No Brains.

3. The parents. Little Johnny isn't 'all that' after all. Don't ever expect a player to be selected who doesn't show up at training like Miss Hernandez' boy.

I feel sorry for Scott to have to coach such an average team of players that have NEVER shown heart or balls. I would have given up on them too (just like SASI has).
Maybe the boys should take up netball, you guys were pure marshmallow. Enjoy your social basketball life thats ahead of you.

Reply #89377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#89320)

"Why the coach didn't video other games to scout teams like other coaches"

As I know it, they did video games. The head coach does not need to do this. Assistants or anyone offering to tape games will do that. The coach may then watch the tape and scout games.

Quick E Mart

"No improvement over the two years"

So are you suggesting that because there performance did not change from the previous U16 Nationals that there was no improvement. Maybe all the other teams improved at the same rate of those in SA.

Reply #89382 | Report this post

Keith Hernandez  
Years ago

Quick E Mart,

Firstly, by all means debate the basketball specific topics you don't agree with, but bringing this discussion down to "name calling" as you did in the last paragraph just shows you don't have the knowledge or maturity to be part of this discussion  move along thanks!

No one is saying that the players don't have some blame for the teams poor performance - I'm sure if you actually spoke to any of them they would say they are disappointed in the result and that they could have played better at times (thus accepting . To say that ALL of them have no heart is false  it's a sweeping generalisation based on a lack of first hand knowledge or a biased viewpoint.

There is no doubt that the coach will take some blame  to say he doesn't is just plain wrong and again shows a complete misunderstanding about team sports. The coach certainly doesn't shoot the ball for the players or pass the ball to the opposition. But he can reduce the probability of these things happening by putting a structure/systems in place that minimise them

Here are some specific examples:
- If the team struggled with 3pt shooting, decision making and on ball defence, why would you not select players who are strong in these areas? And yes there was players who were available for selection that did "fit the bill"
- Why play combination of players who are either playing out of position or given a role that they don't fulfil on a regular basis on Friday nights (four out of the five starters fit in this category)? Turnovers, missed shots and poor defence is a much higher chance of occurring  and it did against quality opposition.
- Why run defensive schemes that don't fit the personnel of the group? The amount of times bigger, slower players were driven by because the coach employed full court presses was amazing. Why not play a defensive scheme that would make your size and length a strength (half court man?) and mix defences up more sparingly.
- Following on, why run outdated plays that were easily scouted, did not have "counters", and did not put players in positions that again maximised your strengths and minimise your weaknesses?

Lastly, your opening line about this team doing poorly two years ago is somewhat "moot" when you see that only four players remain from that group two years ago. I think if you looked at the last "successful" U/18 teams (from a couple of years ago) under Paul Mesecke (won a silver and a bronze), they also did poorly in U16s but this was not used as an excuse for future performance. He improved them by selecting the right mix of players (after being heavily involved with them at SASI, scouting their Friday night games and playing a ton of practice matches to see what they were capable of against quality opposition) and putting in a better structure that was catered to them  in effect "learning from the mistakes of the past".

Reply #89390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But Keith some people think mesecke could have got a least one gold out of those 2 years, but due to "mistakes" to run the golden child when turnover after turnover came their way and he made no adjustments the game flew right pass them.
So even the "greats" dont get it right.
And sometimes there is such things of over scouting and too much info being given to the players to obsorb before a game which doesnt allow them to play their natural game!

Reply #89400 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

I was at the U18's and must say the whole coaching staff showed no emotion or excitement to be at an event like the nationals. Their team performed similarly.

Reply #89407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quick E mart.

What people are saying is that under a different philoisophy of selection and structure maybe the team would have done better. Especially considering 2 years prior they made the top 8.

And no anon #89382 they didn't use ANY video to scout.

And anon #89400 I would say that the team that had the most potential was the U/18 Team that went to Townsville and finished 4th. Another Loveday failure.

Reply #89417 | Report this post

Quick E Mart  
Years ago

There is a enormous gap between a kid playing Friday nights and national titles.

If I had to pick a team and there were 20 players to choose from, I would pick the best 10 players from the practice's that I am coaching.
Great if a kid can shoot 3 pointers but if he can't pass, dribble or play defense then see ya later. You don't seem to understand what makes a basketball player at national level.

Don't bring Mesecke into this, its not vaild to this debate.
Similarly Coach don't bring in the coach showing no emotion or excitement - if that is how you judge a coach then Phil Smyth wouldn't get a job coaching at Glenside.
Sorry about the marshmallow reference but you said that 'we had to identify flaws'. I wanted to say the boys needed a stick up them and burnt so instead I thought I would be nice and call them marshmellow's.
I'll move along now and leave this to you mature, knowledgable types.

Reply #89418 | Report this post

Keith Hernandez  
Years ago

Quick E Mart,

Yes there is a gap - however, wouldnt you say that a kid that hasnt displayed the skills AT ALL on Friday nights will struggle much more to apply them at a National Championship level, than another player who has quite successfully applied them in their district game? The former would have a greater "gap" to bridge than the latter.

You said - "If I had to pick a team and there were 20 players to choose from, I would pick the best 10 players from the practice's that I am coaching". The Nationals isnt a week full of "Shell" Drills, 3v2s, "7 mins of 3s" contests or "Piggy in the middle" passing games. Its fully timed, highly competitive games - not simulations. So picking the best 10 "drills boys" going around will certainly make your team look great executing their layup footwork in the warmup, but it wont translate to Medals at the end of the week.

Also, why isnt Mesecke's performance valid to the debate? Is it because it contradicts your argument that teams that fail in U/16s should logically fail in U/18s....and if they do, the coach is free from blame and the players should cop all the criticism. Ho about auguing the reasons why it isnt valid?

Until then thank you for leaving the thread.

Anon (#89400), I cant speak for the silver medal U/18 group because I didnt see them play first hand, however, the Bronze Medal group performed much higher than expected (they were a small group whos best player ended up being a kid that never made a state team in the past)and from the amount of times Mesecke has gotten more out of his groups than was exepected, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But that's cool to have your opinion.

Completely agree with you on the second point though re "over scouting". However, I think that excuse gets used as a bit of a "cop out" from some coaches who are not comfortable with their scouting abilities and therefore do very little. I'll leave it up to you whether that applies to this case or not.

Reply #89436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Page 29 of the nationals booklet. Bottom of the page. Hmmm, 2 video techs. I wonder what they did if it wasnt scouting for the coaches?
checkmate

Reply #89441 | Report this post

Crazy Joe Davola  
Years ago

Anon 89441

Just because they were taping games, doesnt mean the coaches were actually watching them - I believe they actually watched one game for the week. I think the U/16s were watching 1-3 every night. Seems like too bigger discrepancy to me.

Reply #89472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #89441

The 1 game that was actually taped by SASI was not watched by the coaching Staff or the players before the game. And that was the game were they were 30 down to Vic Country.

I believe that is checkmate! Don't argue if you don't have the facts!

And Apooh,

Why can't we bring the previous State Coach into the debate.

Prior to Loveday coaching the U/18 State teams went from

8th in 1999 as U/16's to 6th in U/18's in 2001.
8th in 2000 as U/16's to 3rd in U/18's in 2002.
5th in 2001 as U/16's to 2nd in U/18's in 2003.
I think???

While Loveday went from 4th to 4th in 2004
From 6th to 7th in 2005
And 8th to 9th in 2006.

Again I think???

Reply #89476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 video techs... yeah and the girls also had a physio and trainer... according to the booklet.

Reply #89478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If memory serves

The 16's finished 7th in 1999 and 2000

Reply #89519 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:06 pm, Tue 7 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754