Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Sixers announce squad of 12

According to Adelaidenow, the Sixers have announced the following roster:

Brett Maher, Willie Farley, Lanard Copeland, Nick Horvath, Brett Wheeler, Brad Hill, Mark Nash, Darren Ng, Adrian Majstrovich, David Cooper, Matt Sutton, Jordan Dodman. Development: Marcus Ng, Erik Burdon.

Topic #8286 | Report this topic

rabbit  
Years ago

I think the selections of Sutton and especially Dodman are good selections. Sutton probably deserves half a chance after a few solid state league seasons, and Dodman would have to be one of the most promising big men i have seen for a while. The selection of Marcus Ng on the other hand perplexes me to say the least...the guy has game, but has just done nothing to even be invited to even being on the Port Lincoln trip in my opinion. A strong squad, and if the old guys have any luck with injuries, should give the title a shake!

Reply #92556 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

I didn't realise we were allowed a roster of 12 plus two development players. Has it been increased since last season?

If teams are allowed 12 on a roster I see why development players are even necessary. They aren't going to have much of a role. Why bother?

Reply #92557 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doctor E, I don't know why it's been done, but I think the club have elected to sign 12 in the cap space allocated for 10, but I'm not sure. The only reason I can think of straight away is that it gives more depth in case of injury.

Rabbit, as for Marcus Ng - I haven't seen how he does at Reserves level and obviously there is potential to cast question on his selection - but perhaps he's been picked as "something different" (a bit like how Gower provided a specific hustle/defense role last year)? Who else on that roster would be as athletic as Marcus? Also, maybe they want to see what happens if they train him alongside an NBL squad for a season. Otherwise you pick a Zorich and he's behind Hill and Sutton. Or you pick more of a shooter, and he's instantly behind Ng and Burdon.

Doesn't fully explain it IMO, but it's better than nothing!

Reply #92564 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Not knowing much about Sutton and Dodman - how old are they, are they over the age restriction for development players?
Realistically the 11 & 12 dont play so are really their for the experience and day to day stuff so i guess it dosnt really matter if they announce 2 extras that they probably would have invited down to trainings to provide bodies anyway?

Reply #92568 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Didnt we hae 11 last year anyway?

Cooper, Rees, Rychart, Forman, Nash, Holmes, Maher, Farley, Hill, Gower and Hambour

and Gerlach and Madgen as development players.

Only 10 plus development players ever suited up tho. With usually either Gower or Hambour missing out.

Reply #92570 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

It really spreads the money very thin. The minimum is $26,000 for contract players under the salary cap and $5,000 for development players (which from memory doesn't count under the cap). Maher, Farley and Horvath must be sucking up a large part of the rest.

DJ. The max age of development players is 24 at the start of the season.

Reply #92573 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DJ - Sutton would be early 20s (unsure though) and is a fairly composed and careful player. Wouldn't embarrass himself if you put him in at garbage time. Dodman is 19 or around that - plays young but has size and strength (has this quick spin move in the paint that seems to work consistently) - they're hardly glamorous comparisons, but he reminds me of a wild boar or babboon (people are never going to let me forget this comparison...) - strongly built, but also quick. Has a bit of a spring in his step. Imagine Blake Truslove, but a bit shorter?

Reply #92574 | Report this post

TradeWinds  
Years ago

Marcus Ng!!???

Michael Zorich
Tristain Braithwaite
Gary Birmingham
Rory Cradock
Chris Molitor

etc etc

Must all be shaking there heads...

I know i am...

Reply #92578 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Isaac ,

I'd say Brad Hill is the most athletic player on the 36ers roster.

As for Marcus .. i have a conspiracy theory about that decision ;0
Not a great choice IMO.

Reply #92579 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Skip

Gower replaced Nashy so was not technically in the squad

Reply #92601 | Report this post

dog eat dog  
Years ago

does any one know how the hell zorich did not make at least the fourteen.

he has flat out lead his team at north adelaide and marcus has not done anything but sit on the bench

marcus has potential but zorich has game.....

i guess that may be the answer to my own question

sixers are looking for potential for the future.
That's why they sign Lenard and Brett.

Reply #92604 | Report this post

D-Lin  
Years ago

I'm with everyone on this one, either Phil or Paul Bauer have rocks for brains. He got invited to the camp in Port Lincoln on stats of 2.4ppg, 1.5rpg, and 0.7apg.
Considering I thought Madgen was lucky to have gotten an invite last year on 13.7ppg, 5.9rpg, and 2.3apg, Marcus' selection absolutely perplexes me.
Is there something Phil sees that Potsie doesn't? They certainly couldn't have picked him for his PG skills, Zorich has to win hands down in that category, and as for Ng's shooting ability, it is certainly not up to NBL standard. I know, Ziggy's isn't either, but at least he can run the point, is tall enough to play NBL, and could defend other PG's. Marcus is skinnier than Darren, imagine having them both on the court at the same time!

Sorry, that's a slap in the face of a lot of guards who actually play ABL, not sit on the bench.

Reply #92605 | Report this post

madgame  
Years ago

Well done fools another example of your ignorance and lack of research Zorich was not available as he is moving to Sydney to study and work Marcus Ng is one of the few players with the athletic talent to develop into an NBL player and also when he finishes his stidy in Nov will be able to practice full time with the team a lot of others cant do this but you well researched guys would know that lol

Reply #92606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what happened to Brad Gerlach??

Reply #92610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did you just say marcus is a skinnier darren? what world are you on mate? you must not be talking about basketball skills, surely your talking about doctor skills!!!!

Reply #92611 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gerlach's injury left him out of the running. Marcus has more muscle on him than Darren I think?

Reply #92614 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

brads got knee issues i read some where and phil would look at him next year when hes recovered

Reply #92615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sad part is Marcus wont cut it and Jordan will play footy after the Junior worlds

Reply #92621 | Report this post

D-Lin  
Years ago

Huh? 92611, read what I wrote.

"Marcus is skinnier THAN Darren"

Reply #92626 | Report this post

aj  
Years ago

gerlach will be there better than ever next season. had an awful year. top bloke, deserves a spot when he gets back up and running. marcus Ng... big call sixers... big, confusing, what r u thinking call!

Reply #92629 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Lets face it, with a squad of 14, Darren Ng won't even get a chance to sit on the bench. It is a development spot and, for once, the Sixers appear to be using it as just that.

There are league rules about the amount of court time a development player can get anyway. From memory, they are only allowed on the road twice or something?

The team will be selected from the best of the 12 each week.

Reply #92639 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Marcus Ng selection an absolute joke. B Campbell anyone??

Reply #92643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

XY...I think you mean Marcus won't even get a chance to sit on the bench...Darren will most like be 7th or 8th player and hopefully move up quickly if his shooting continues like he has been.

Anyway, I think the selection is good! Like 92606 said, everyone needs to get their facts right before the start bagging phil (as for potsie...I dont know what he has to do with selecting the 36ers! He is marketing and communications manager! so its unfair to bring him in to it!) Zorich is moving to Sydney, Gerlach is injured and Marcus Ng has huge potential!! He is athletic, can jump and with a bit more shooting practice will be as good a shooter as Darren! Remember he is a "development" player which means exactly that - he is in the squad to develop to the depth that the 36ers want...rather then picking up someone who already had "game", this way they can take him fresh and train him exactly how they want him to play and for what the team needs in future seasons!

Reply #92646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BY the way, you so called supporters should start doing what your supposed to be doing - supporting the team! If you all sit here bagging the selections, your doing nothing for the confidence of the team or the players! Rather then be pessimistic...why dont we just have an open mind, get behind the boys and start getting pumped for the new season! Everyone is so negative you would think its a monday morning!!

Reply #92647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know what the word development means? Blokes are not picked for these positions to actually get a game..,but to to train with the best in the country in order to hopefully develop into a player good enough to be a player of NBL standard. They obviously see talent in Marcus that could develop into something more with a bit of work and experience. Good choice I think, and he will fit in with the group well too, much better than the arrogance of Craddock, Braithwaite, Molitor would.

The only other person I might have put in there before Marcus is Trent Fildes! Was picked in the emus earlier in the year, and has grown considerably this year! Same age as Dodman, and really could see him playing NBL one day, just needs to toughen up and work on his shooting(which is much better), and being witht the sixers would have helped acheive this. I can't believe that anyone that was picked to play for their country was NOT invited to Port Lincoln.

Maybe the fact that he chose not to play ABA this year because some people told him it would ruin his college chances has hurt him. A few good minutes with the eagles here and there may have raised an eyebrow or 2, but still, bad form from Phil and Breheny not to at least have a look at someone who has been picked in the Emus squad.

Reply #92648 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Someone made a good point about some players possibly not being available. It's a big sacrifice to put in the time and effort required to be with an NBL team when as a development player the rewards are very little. Pay would be minimal, game time even less. But you still have to put in some hours and I doubt you could do it and have a full time job also.

I imagine there are plenty of guys who just can't afford to make that kind of commitment so the spots were left to those who can.

Reply #92649 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Potsie was mentioned because he coaches Marcus Ng with the Sabres and Marcus doesn't get a whole load of court time playing behind other guys. If you re-read the original post with that in mind, it will make more sense.

Reply #92653 | Report this post

achtung baby  
Years ago

My understanding people, is that Zorich moved to Melbourne on Last Sunday to take up a roster position with the South Dragons, as he was not guaranteed one with the sixers. He has been set up with a home, as well as a position in a university degree that allows him the time to train and play. Good luck to ziggy in melbourne and lets hope he shows that he really deserves to be playing in the NBL.

Reply #92657 | Report this post

cover up  
Years ago

Maybe the reason Dodman was signed to a contract is to keep him from playing football. That is the game that he really loves, and from what i have heard, the only reason he is still playing basketball is because he was chosen to play in the junior worlds for the aussies.

Reply #92659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given Phil's defensive prowess in his playing days I would have had a look at some-one like Tom Rowe before Marcus Ng particularly as was mentioned earlier this is a development spot.

Reply #92668 | Report this post

TradeWinds  
Years ago

Anyone trying to justify this selection ahead of guys such as Braithwaite, Zorich, Craddock etc are honestly kidding themselves.

All those guys and more had "potential" in the same way that Marcus currently has potential.

All those guys were warming the bench in season 2005.

All those guys have continued to develop in 2006.

What i am trying to say is, perhaps Marcus would be worthy of a spot in 2007 or 2008, it just seems that this selection may be premature. Surely another season to prove that potential would be better served in the ABA?

Those afore mentioned players and quite a few others would have legitimate gripes in my opinion for missing out.

Reply #92679 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Do you all seriously believe Marcus Ng was selected due to his 'potential'? Sure he might have some, but he is far, far below every other development player the sixers have ever picked in terms of talent and numbers and body size. Daniel Cioffi was putting up big numbers in the ABL some seasons back and got told he can't be a sixers development player because he was too lean.
there is no doubt more to Marcus' selection, and I don't need to say it I don't think.

Reply #92680 | Report this post

SERBIA!  
Years ago

what about Dan Lalic, legit big who would outrun most of the men his size and small forwards...potential to burn, I know he came in late but Marcus (not Darren or chek) has only been around a little too.....another freakn small gaurd with athletic ability.
Lalic is 6'8, quick as poo and 19 years old
He eats development for breakfast!

Maybe change surname or club and he may get a better shot in a year or so

Reply #92685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lalic is 6'3...6'4 max!

Reply #92696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe change surname or club ,

you idiot plenty of players with serb heritage are in the nbl. No way he is 6foot8!!!

Reply #92698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus is prob 6'3, athletic, with lanky limbs...there is a certain quality to that. All the other junior players, bar zorich, named as "potential development" cant compare to marcus

And lets face it, development players are pretty much just good for throw downs in warm ups, and marcus can still fly

Reply #92699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lalic is not 6'3 at least 6-6 plus ..

Reply #92702 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

To clarify...

Lalic is at least 6 foot 6. (6 foot 8 in American Pro slang)

As for breakfast - his meal of choice is weetbix and yoyo biscuits.

Reply #92703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reason for Marcus inclusion = $$$

Reply #92705 | Report this post

davo  
Years ago

i'm with lockstock on one of his earlier posts - what about brenton campbell? dude has been showing his "potential" at ABA level for some years now. give the guy a go... thoughts anyone?

Reply #92707 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Brenton IMO is the most skillful player going around. If anyone has seen what that dude can do with a basketball it often amazes. And he can flat out shoot, is quick and athletic. I compare him to a younger Potsie back in his sixers days, and he was playing on a much more talented team than the present. The only thing not going for Brenton is his size, but he is an absolute workhorse. And look at Marcus' size that can't be an issue then.

Reply #92708 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

92705, obviously that's what everyone is thinking, but for what? If you want Marcus to get a chance to train with the team, you can ask or pay and make him #15 on the side with zero controversy.

I don't think it's all that black and white. e.g., Burdon making NBL is a bit of a reach too. If the coaches are willing to make an 'If Ninja signs, Marcus can be a development player' call, that tells me that they feel that they have enough depth and that a real fringe training squad guy might get limited development - i.e., not a huge deal who they take.

I guess we'll see.

Reply #92710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably not all that pertinent to the above discussion but why does every other club have their "development" players as their 11 and 12 as per the NBl normal regulations but the 36ers choose this somewhat mysterious option?

Reply #92718 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Cmon Isaac blind Freddy can see that Marcus has no right to be in that squad. Yes money, but what is his club team again?

Reply #92724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

92698 - change name perhaps maybe to Ng!!!!!!!!!!! change clubs - Sturt!

Nothing against Serbia

Reply #92729 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Unless I'm missing something, what do they get out of it? This isn't Europe -> NBA. Is there a transfer payment that I'm not aware of?

If he wants the opportunity to train with the team it could be unpaid and in an unofficial position. He's not there for the money because he doesn't need it. What am I missing?

I don't know the details, but maybe Darren was a bit iffy about signing (study and whatever) and the coaches thought "meh, #14 isn't going to challenge for court time because we're deep enough as it is, we'll offer to put Marcus in there and see what he learns. no one else really grabs us anyway"? Darren thinks, "it's a good chance for my brother, why not?".

e.g., a bit of nepotism, but not necessarily about money.

Remember, they've picked 14 when other clubs are picking 12. That's two freebies. And even then, #13 is a scrawny shooter. Now #14 is a scrawny athlete.

Campbell, IMO, is too small. The one I'd consider is Molitor, but maybe it's a year too early for him and you'd think he'll head to college anyway. None of these guys were taken to PL anyway. Hambour must've been politics, Madgen to the US, Zorich interstate, Wood back to the US, etc.

Sutton and Dodman are the ones that count.

Reply #92730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a crime that Trent Fildes isn't apart of this conversation. Much better than Molitor...hence why he was chosen in the Emus squad! Same age. Very similar to Newley actually, but not quite as explosive.

Not playing ABA is obviously affecting Trents status here in SA. Fair enough too, cos no one knows how good he is when going up against men. Having said that, Marcus is not playing ABA either so I don't know?

Reply #92742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #92758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are you sure Marcus Ng's dad didn't pay for his sons name to be added. all you have to do is look at his aba stats there are alot of zero's. there are about 10 to 15 players that should be in front of him. what is the selection panel thinking. WOW.

Reply #92759 | Report this post

sickofthoseidiots  
Years ago

What is your fucking problem man? Mentioning people's dad with regards to this. Are you fucking stupid or wat. Why dun you go ahead and say that darren's dad who also happens to be marcus's dad paid for darren to be in the squad too?? MArcus is a developmental player,and as have been mentioned in several posts above, he has the potential to do well. Anyway,if you're so unhappy with the selection why dun you say tat into Phil's face and ask him to pick you instead, you fucking loser!

Reply #92806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only idiot is you if you really think that Marcus deserves this position (btw, I'm not the poster you're replying too).
Out of all this, Marcus is the one I feel sorry for. The kid does have potential and great athleticism but for gods sake, let him develop this and earn a spot that most would give their left nut for.

Reply #92810 | Report this post

box me out  
Years ago

I just came on to ask about Adrian Majstrovich, what kind of a player this man is?

But seeing all this negative talk about Marcus is really upsetting. Let the man prove himself. For his position of a gaurd; his athletisim, speed and creative brain for the game will be more of a benefit, then a younger player like molitor who would be up against the likes of Small Forwards?

I don't like singling out players so i shan't debate in detail.

But Marcus, you have my support mate. Dan Majerly episode revisited.

Reply #93040 | Report this post

stockton  
Years ago

Congrats to marcus for making the development squad. Having played against him in reserves it is easy to see the dude has talent. Having been put in a position whereby he will be challenged each day to improve I think its a great step for him and I hope he proves all doubters wrong.
My main congrats go to Sutton though. The dude has bettered himself each year. Growing a lot over the past few years obviously helped but I hope he continues to show the same improvement in professional ball as he has throughout juniors and ABA.
Good to see Wheeler back here too. It's been a while and it was a shame when he left.
Good luck to the boys and hope they have a good year!!!

Reply #93223 | Report this post

box me out  
Years ago

^^ well said. Stockton for president.

Reply #93477 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754