OZBBallDream
Years ago

Suggestions On A Better NBL

What are your suggestions/constructive criticism on how the NBL can improve ?

Possible immediate goals for the NBL could be... ( some of these points have been raised b4 but I thought I would set it out in an easy to read format )

FTA panel show coverage (said b4 a million times)

FTA commercials ;
either by the NBL promoting Philips / Virgin Products with players etc and by the individual clubs promoting up and coming games on FTA ) ( also mentioned b4 )

FTA playoffs as first game coverage goal ;
if the NBL landed a deal with a major TV network to at least show the payoffs and skip the regular season that would show the most exciting part of the season on regular TV, and this would hook in other potential fans for the future. Once this initial coverage creates momentum and crowds etc get bigger,the league gets more popular then extend to the full season coverage later down the track.

Introduce Ticketing Capping for every club;
same concept as salary cap for imports , to make it fair and affordable

Introduce Student Concession;
either by the NBL or the individual clubs.

Introduce rewards program;
Free Membership Card ; the more you attend matches the points you earn etc..and competitions based on high attedance etc

Perhaps introduce a NBL improvement commitee (if not there already);
Have commitee members from the NBL, Clubs, Supporters Clubs, Players and ex Players, Sponsors, TV Networks(Foxtel), Fans, who get together once a month to collectively figure out ways in improving the League in every level.

what are yours ?...and if you have any email the NBL at

[email protected]

thanks.

Topic #941 | Report this topic

OZBBallDream  
Years ago

I have already discussed this topic in more depth on www.ozhoops.com.au as well if you want to check it out
...just look out for OZBBallDream.

Reply #10340 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I would expect that the Fox deal would make FTA playoff coverage impossible, but I might be wrong. I know that under the deal, clubs aren't even allowed to have webcam coverage of games.

I think they would do well to allocate a small percentage of club license fees, etc, to national advertising on TV (nothing outrageous; just short and punchy, and referring people to the NBL website for more information) and then doing more with their website: more photos, more info on where to buy tickets for upcoming games.

Other than that, I think they're on track: Blitz, All-Star game, statistics are being updated more regularly now that the season is moving.

I think that the impetus beyond that is with the clubs. The Adelaide 36ERS have to advertise and get Adelaide fans or newcomers into the Dome each game. Other clubs need to do the same. I don't know if FTA will save the league if the clubs don't save themselves first -- you have to create a quality game-night product (game itself, entertainment, atmosphere, etc) before people will make the transition from watching highlights/matches on TV to actually getting up and buying a ticket to the full experience.

Reply #10342 | Report this post

OZBBallDream  
Years ago

Ok fair enough, good points, I think the league is obviously at hte start of it's re building phase and doing it brick by brick , and the NBL has made some great ground with The philips Deal, Virgin now on board,the Globetrotters / Syd / West Syd game,...etc

Yeah you're right the clubs now have to get off their arses and wake up to the fact that the NBL is making things happen again, and to compete they need to lift their game.

In alot of the emails I have sent to the NBL I have praised them for their efforts as well as made suggestions, and this has been appreciated when I received a reply.

Reply #10346 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

I think the NBL need to take a leaf out of the AFL marketing program. The game is simply not promoted enough! The league is looked upon as a bit of a joke with problems across in all areas of the league. Look at the ruling on imports and how that all works out? Development and expansion of our great game is required from the top. The NBL went to summer program so they are not in direct competition with AFL games and this has yet to be capitalized on.

I like the idea of the league setting ticket prices. Keep the prices down will attract more spectators and attract more families to the game.

The NBL has forgotten that with out the spectators, you just do not have the league. Spectators make professional sport work as with out them, you do not have advertising, TV rights or ticketing receipts etc.

Maybe the time has come to expand and have a South East Asia competition?

Reply #10381 | Report this post

sexual paul rees  
Years ago

Get rid of Rick Burton, and get an Australian in who is in touch with our needs

Reply #10407 | Report this post

OZBBallDream  
Years ago

what ?? ..I didn't say he wasn't or the League is not trying to make things better, I just think that we can help the league by sending in emails ( constructive ) to the NBL feeback using imaginative ideas to make things better

Get rid of Rick Burton ??..you're kidding right ??...in a short time he has landed the Philips sponsorship, Virgin Airlines, suggested The NBL expand and take advantage of the Asian Market, so things are getting better, I wasn't implying it was all doom and gloom.

Go the the NBL site and check this out http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=featuredisplay&aid=1021

Reply #10432 | Report this post

OZBBallDream  
Years ago

Anyway people perhaps express your, frustration, ideas,views, suggestions at the NBL feedback (constructively) , however I'm sure the NBL would love it if we gave some good feedback as well for encouragement on the stuff they have right so far and improvements made, who knows you might make a difference....

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=feedback

Reply #10435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the only way that the nbl to get better is if they put it free to air

Reply #10605 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:06 pm, Fri 10 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754