Isaac
Years ago

NH: Ian Thorpe quits competitive swimming

Ian Thorpe has retired from competitive swimming at the age of 24.

Thorpe is regarded as one of the greatest swimmers of all time after winning 11 world titles, five Olympic gold medals and setting 13 individual long-course world records.

Worn down by the grind of training, he took a year off after winning the 200 metres and 400m freestyle titles at the 2004 Athens Olympics and his comeback plans were thwarted by illness, injury and waning motivation.

Topic #9480 | Report this topic

52-Cans  
Years ago

(Mod: Weak.)

Reply #107607 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

.. Plans were thwarted by over indulgence in a lifestyle where fashion and spending indorsement money became more important than recovery and dedication.

52 Cans: (Yes he is Gay, but no, there is not anything wrong with that)

ShaneD

Reply #107608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's just retired today.

He quit ages ago !!

Reply #107609 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I saw the send up of him on 'Skithouse'. Was really funny. The skit was from 'Queer Eye'.

Reply #107610 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Reply #107614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

retiring at 24. If only we were all so lucky!

Reply #107616 | Report this post

philnaldo  
Years ago

"Hold the phone Blocker"

Reply #107619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd retire too if i were a gay multi millionaire !!

So many choices......so little time.

Reply #107624 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I'm trying to think of a gay joke incorporating "Thorpedo", but I can't seem to fire one off....

Reply #107628 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Reply #107632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know I'm going to get drilled for this but really guys the guy is the best Swimmer Australia has ever seen and probably the best pure swimmer the world has ever seen.

The comments in this thread are not only liable but completely disrespectful to a man who has acheived as much as Ian Thorpe has.

Reply #107634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed Anonymous. Why don't all of you homophobes grow up. This website is such a joke...it's merely a site for bagging. And my feeling is that the majority of it would be coming from "sports fans" who have never been involved in competitive sports at a decent level in their lives.

Reply #107636 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

If only Australian Basketball could produce a world class athlete like Ian Thorpe. He is a world class swimmer who has won 5 Olympic gold medals and heaps of worlds records but let's worry about his alleged sexual preference.

Some of the things said on this thread are disgraceful but respect has never been big on the agenda of a few posters on this site. Ian Thorpe is a champion and Australia should be proud of his achievements.

The only way ShaneD would know Ian Thorpe was actually a homosexual is if he turned him down one night

Reply #107637 | Report this post

Knackers  
Years ago

If anyone really challenged him over the past 8 years than maybe he would still have the motivation to go on. The fact is Thorpe had to go out of his comfort zone and into events that weren't his pet events and even into other strokes that perhaps weren't his best.

He was that much better than anyone who competed against him that no wonder he quit. Why would he want to slave his (rather large) guts out for 5 hours every morning at 4am just to know that no one is going to get close to him so whats the point.

Super career Thorpy, just wish you had a crack at the 1500m just to see how good/quick you could have been

Reply #107642 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I agree with the last few. What a champion, one of the best swimmers ever.
It is such a pity that he didn't have the determination to keep going and go down as easily the best ever.. the door is open to Phelps now to do exactly that.

Reply #107643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thorpe had no choice but to retire - think about it: the guy is the best swimmer on this planet and the public expectations of our "winners" is such that his best will never be good enough unless he is winning each and every event. Thorpe made the right move, get out while you are still a legend - a few participants from other sport codes could well learn a lesson from this.

Reply #107648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As for all the pointless, nothing to do with Thorpe's excellence at his chosen sporting career, re his sexuality, comments they are totally uncalled for and cheap shots.

Reply #107649 | Report this post

The Early Bird  
Years ago

Where were all these loving comments at the start of thread then. Having said that I agree that the comments are crap and we should be worrying about a guy who is still young retiring from a sport he onced loved. Would have said this comment earlier but I did not get the worm this morning

Reply #107657 | Report this post

Foodland  
Years ago

(Mod: Get lost. You're pathetic.)

Reply #107660 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I didn't start this topic for a bunch of homophobes to make predictable and boring jokes. Seriously guys, this isn't about being overly PC, just being a little mature and fair about things.

Reply #107666 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

i agree Isaac, some people have been a total disgrace. I am prob sure they were all cheering when he won his 5 olympic gold medals.

One of the greatest moments of my sporting life was seeing Thorpe win the 200m at Athens.I actually had tears in my eyes when the national anthem was played. Thank you Thorpy for giving me and my mates such a wonderful moment in our lives at Athens. : ) You are a legend.

To the rest of you idiots attacking this legend, get a life, spineless cheap fools!

Reply #107679 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

As some one earlier said - it is a worry when someone his age throws in the towel... i guess better to end it with dignity - than spiral out of control (a la Marco Pantani)... Good luck to him... Never liked him never loathed him - just another bloke i guess...

Reply #107680 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

I only have one comment re this issue.

And that is with all athletes like Thorpe that go through the AIS programme (which is tax payer funded)why oh why do they not have to pay back the cost of their sporting education........just like HECS?

He and many others before and after him will and do earn millions from their sport/noteriety, but we the tax payers continue to hand them their start in life.

Shouldn't they have to put it back?

I gotta be missing something.

Reply #107703 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Even if just through media and charity appearances? Interesting point though.

Reply #107705 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

Ian Thorpe was born to swim. Retiring at 24 is a waste of God-given talent.

Reply #107710 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Agreed. He was on track to become our greatest ever Australian athlete. If he won a few more Golds in the next Olympics he would have surpassed Bradman, Norman and even Warnie *shudder*.

Reply #107728 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Mods are a bit touchy on this topic fair dinkum...

Reply #107750 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

MW - I wouldnt have said touchy.....I think mature is probably a better description.

As for wasting God given talent - he has achieved all his goals in swimming and cant get motivated to do it any more - seems fair enough to me. Move on - next challenge for him I suppose.

A bit similar to Jordan leaving the Bulls to try and play Baseball - but I doubt Thorpe will come back and do it all again.
As for if hes gay or not - who gives a toss?

As johnny Sack said above - I never loved him - never hated him - but I did appreciate the incredible achievents he made in his sport!

Reply #107753 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I find it hard to believe when he says he is in peak fitness now.
If he thinks he could go faster now than ever before why would you not go out on a high and announce that you will finish at the world champs.
Talk is cheap, especially when you havn't done anything for 2 years.

Reply #107755 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

As world class athletes go, you look at +/- 10 years at the top qualifies as the very elite.

Given Thorpe effectively retired in 2004, he's a little shy of this mark. Maybe some of our current female swimmers and Hackett will soon surpass Thorpes achievements in the pool?

What's the potentential gold medal count for Hackett given a successful Beijing campaign?

Reply #107767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But if you dont love what you are doing, what is the point?

We all do stuff every day that we dont love, but have to do. Here is a guy who has the means to make the choice between putting in VERY hard yards at something that he no longer yearns to do or keep going becuase that is what Australia expects him to do. We should all be so lucky to be able to make those decisions.

Reply #107775 | Report this post

whatever  
Years ago

He is going to write , direct and star in a new movie about a world class swimmer who leaves the sport at his peak because they can't take the public ridicule and constant questioning over their sexuality .

" STROKEBACK FOUNTAIN " starring IAN THORPE and PETER VANDEN POOINHAND .

Now seriously Thorpey you have been not only a great swimmer but you are highly evolved , emotionally intelligent , massively dedicated human being and all the sacrifices you have made over the last 11 years have given all of australia a massive amount of pride and enjoyment .

Cheers .

Reply #107800 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

" STROKEBACK FOUNTAIN " starring IAN THORPE and PETER VANDEN POOINHAND .

that is in very poor taste

focus on the athlete not on his sexuality.

Reply #107803 | Report this post

feasty  
Years ago

'If only Australian Basketball could produce a world class athlete like Ian Thorpe.' um Hello.....LAUREN JACKSON!

I think it would take a lot of courage to do what Ian did. Good on him, now he can enjoy all his hard work and early mornings, he is just lucky he can a lot sooner than others. doesnt mean he's letting australia down. just proving to follow your heart.

Reply #107805 | Report this post

whatever  
Years ago

(Mod: Zzz.)

Reply #107822 | Report this post

tony Blair  
Years ago

but whatever, you qualify yourself on a number of issues that he is gay or bi etc.

my point is why mention it

do you say Grant Hackett is a great swimmer and he's straight

do you qualify that Pat Rafter
was a great tennis player and he's hetrosexual?

you state you compliment him on his swimming yet you continue to hightlight the gay issue...

Reply #107823 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

(would just like to note that I have never said there is ANYTHING wrong with being gay, nor said anything even remotely 'homophobic'.)

ShaneD

Reply #107892 | Report this post

Axeman  
Years ago

My take on Thorpe is that he has been seduced by the galmour and lifestyle that has come with his success.

At the age of 24 does he realise that people wanted to throw sponsorship $$ at him because he was such a damn good swimmer, not because he is a jet setting clothes horse?

I kind of feel sorry for him. I know he is well off, but wonder if he has the money behind him to keep living the lifestyle that he has been accustom too? Its just like lots of young AFL players that think that living the rich glamourous lifstyle is how it is always going to be; I think they sometimes forget that the payback for such lifestyles is a lot of hard work.

Reply #108042 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A very good friend of mine was heavily into swimming in his teenage years. Always up at 4-5AM for laps before school and so on. I think with swimming it could just be very, very easy to lose your enthusiasm and if you don't have the passion, find a way to re-motivate yourself, or find a new passion.

Reply #108046 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:48 pm, Thu 2 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754