xztatik
Years ago

Handle Magazine's top 10 NBL players

What are people's thoughts? I wouldve had Carlos Powell at number 1 ahead of Cortez.

CJ Bruton and D-Mac getting in ahead of Maher??? I'm sure they would justify this by saying CJ and D-Mac are on better teams and are surrounded by better players but if so shouldnt they be averaging a few more assists:
B.Maher:19,5,7
C.Bruton:15,3,4
D.McDonald:11,4,5

And I'm also surprised they couldnt find a spot for Horvath, Abney and Ballinger.

What are other peoples thoughts?

Topic #9979 | Report this topic

lockstock  
Years ago

who are they?

Reply #113940 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Roberts, not everyone reads handle magazine
and Nick Horvath is not everyone's boyfriend

Reply #113941 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

lol shut up tom i dont even buy that mag its crap i just read it in the store.

Reply #113942 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

What's the top 10?

Reply #113944 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

I love handle but I don't totally agree with their top 10 NBL players thing. Cortez Groves' got serious game but Carlos Powell has to be 1st or 2nd, at the very least. Not 6th. It's extremely hard to pick the top 10 players because are all so close so your going to have debate from someone no mater where you put them. I find myself never quite satisfied because your want to squeeze so many more players in there.

This is handles Top 10:

1. Cortez Groves
2. Sam Mackinnon
3. CJ Bruton
4. Chris Anstey
5. Shawn Redhage
6. Carlos Powell
7. Daryl McDonald
8. Brad Newley
9. Martin Cattalini
10. Mike Helms

My Top 10

1. Carlos Powell
2. Sam Mackinnon
3. Cortez Groves
4. Brad Newely
5. CJ Bruton
6. Chris Anstey
7. Brett Maher
8. Martin Cattalini
9. Larry Abney
10. Nick Horvath

It's bloody hard to pick

Reply #113950 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

MY TOP 10
Sam Mac
Anstey
Powell
Maher
Groves
Cattalini
Redhage
Abney
Newley
CJ

Reply #113956 | Report this post

Ak-47  
Years ago

Mine
1.Powell
2.Sam Mac
3.Maher
4.Newley
5.Redhage
6.Cattalini
7.Bruton
8.Groves
9.Horvath
10.Abney

Reply #113959 | Report this post

patto  
Years ago

skips is pretty well spot on IMO

Reply #113963 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

How the hell does Anstey get rated in these things at the moment? Hell he's not even the best performing Centre in Melbourne at the moment. Our lovable little 6"6' Centre, with the mongrel heart, is killing him.

He ain't even the best player on their team at the moment either.

Anstey is in the top 5 MVP candidates on nbl.com.au at the moment too. What the?

Powell, Redhage, Tucker, Catt, Ballinger, Groves, Abney, Sam, Maher, Newley.....all better than Anstey. Hell, on current form, I'd take Franklin and even our rookie over the big guy.

Reply #113970 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

Powell
Redhange
Sam Mac
Catalini
Groves
Anstey
Maher
Newley
D-Mac
Ellis

Coach: Goorj
Most Underrated: Hoare

Reply #113971 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ballinger deserves a mention somewhere, IMO.

Reply #113975 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

For sure......Ballinger is a workhorse who get you ur 20 & 10 each night

he deserves to be in the top 10

Reply #113980 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

For those who don't know, Maher didn't even make handle's next 5 best players, who were Dave Thomas, Dave Barlow, Glenn Saville, John Rillie and James Harvey.

I agree with Skip's list, although CJ deserves to be higher than ten, but it is hard to put him above any of those guys....

Reply #114007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horvath had a great start to the season.. he hasnt been able to keep up that good form tho (whether its just him or due to defence and double teaming)..

During the first third or half of the season, I'd say he'd would've been about 5th.. but he's about 10th now in my opinion

Reply #114008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Brett Maher isnt in their top 10 and they have players like D-Mac and CJ ahead of him, then they obviously have no idea!! Stats dont lie my friends!!

Reply #114045 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Yeah David Barlow in the top 15 over Maher Ballinger Abney etc. is an absolute joke.

My top 10:
1.Carlos
2.SammyMac
3.Redhage (better passer than Ballinger,Abney etc.)
4.Maher
5.Ballinger
6.Abney
7.Cattalini
8.Cortez
9.Newley
10.Horvath

it would be far easier to rate them by position.

Also i think J.Beasley would be in the top10 talentwise but he hasnt proved himself down here yet.

Reply #114102 | Report this post

Josh  
Years ago

1.Powell
2.Sam Mac
3.Groves
4.Redhage
5.Ballinger
6.Maher
7.Ellis
8.Catalini
9.Newley
10.Anstey
Just out rogers

Reply #114104 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Statistics aren't everything, but Mackinnon is having a pretty amazing year according to the stats on the NBL website.

He's currently top 10 in:

- Field goal percentage
- Total rebounds (including second in defensive rebounds)
- Assists
- Steals
- Blocks
- Last, but definitely not least, he's second in 3-point percentage

He's not Top 10 in points per game, but funnily enough, no-one from the Bullets is - even though they're two games clear in front on the ladder.

Reply #114124 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I ran my NBL stats up until Round 15 the other day and it had Mackinnon ranked top, just ahead of Carlos Powell. For Sam to put up those numbers on a stacked team speaks volumes, IMO. Carlos should receive deductions for not being a team player...

Paul Rogers was about 6th - hasn't he been a wildly different player since he was last with Adelaide?

Reply #114127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

- Sam Mackinnon 2nd in 3 point percentage!!
- Marcus Timmons top scoring v Tigers!!

Unfortunately this is not a very good league. No wonder the Boomers have never won a medal at a World Champs or the Olympics.

Reply #114128 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

HATER!

Reply #114169 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Anon, if Sam was hitting 30% and was still second, then your comment would have some relevance. Fact is he is hitting 48% and is second to Hoare who has hit over 50% this season.

That is on par with the NBA where out of those players who have taken a reasonable amount of threes, Jason Kapono leads the league. As a result of just discovering this stat I am considering buying his jersey. He's the geekiest looking white player since Mark Madsen and Adam Keefe. Apologies to Jason Scallabrine.

Reply #114215 | Report this post

mitch  
Years ago

who are the best centres in the league then?

Reply #148366 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:52 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754