Rat10
Years ago

Free throw attempts at home vs away

Just having a look at the box-score tonight - Melbourne had 16 more free throw attempts than us. And in our previous loss on the road to Perth, they had 16 more free throw attempts than us.

At home we average 11 more free attempts than our opponents - we had a whooping 20 more attempts than cairns.

In our only road win against the Breakers we had 8 more free throw attempts, and in the loss to Sydney we had one more attempt. Interestingly enough, against Townsville on the road they took 8 more attempts than us, but at home we had 14 more attempts than them.

It makes it pretty hard to win on the road with these sorts of discrepancies - the refs are obviously influenced by the home crowd etc - and you're not going to win many games if your opponent gets 16 more free throw attempts than you. This has always been the biggest stumbling block for opposition teams trying to win in Adelaide - overcoming the pressure which the crowd puts on the refs - as any good, passionate crowd should!!

This is why I am pretty confident we can get Perth on Sun - they won't be getting 16 more free-throw attempts than us like they did in Perth. Plus they played (and lost - big upset to Hunter) tonight and have to travel and have no Burston. I'll be extremely disappointed if we lose.

Topic #1238 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

They've got a new seven-footer replacing Matt Burston starting with the game against Adelaide...

Reply #14069 | Report this post

biasbinding  
Years ago

if ref's were really influenced by home team crowds would perth have lost at home last night to hunter?

wouldn't under your argument got perth to the line or given perth more favourable calls to get them over the line.

without seeing last nights game - poor defence can lead to putting players on the line. slapping fouls come from being out of position and look at the loss to sydney a game i did see there was no defence - adelaide didn't need to put sydney to the line more they allowed them easy layups in open keyways...excuse me sir am i in your way let me move aside.

besides in adelaide with sixers woeful foul shooting going to the line more often doesn't represent a good return

Reply #14086 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:38 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754