bring it
Years ago

No Maher in All Star Game?

How the hell does Maher not make this team? Is it because he is injured - surly he would still be recognised as making the team!!!!!

I would have him over James Harvey / Stephen Black

And Luke Kendall as a reserve is a bit rich

Sam Mackinnon (Brisbane Bullets)
Stephen Black (Cairns Taipans)
CJ Bruton (Brisbane Bullets)
Chris Anstey (Melbourne Tigers)
James Harvey (Gold Coast Blaze)
Nathan Jawai (Cairns Taipans)
Mark Worthington (Sydney Kings)
David Barlow (Melbourne Tigers)
Paul Rogers (Perth Wildcats)
Joe Ingles (South Dragons)

Aussie All-Stars Reserves
Glen Saville (Sydney Kings)
Alex Loughton (Perth Wildcats)
Stephen Hoare (Melbourne Tigers)
Cameron Tragardh (Wollongong Hawks)
Luke Kendall (Sydney Kings)

Head Coach: Brian Goorjian (Sydney Kings)

Topic #13605 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

If it's not because he's injured, then maybe this is why:

Maher's averaging 19/4/5 for a team that is out of the eight. All bar Ingles and Tragardh are with teams with better records which could be a factor. Not sure which criteria they use.

Ingles is averaging 16/7/6 which you could argue is a bit better than 19/4/5. Tragardh is averaging 18 and 8, though might be in there as a reserve big man?

Who picked the teams?

Reply #158689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've never understood why a players teams record has anything to do with how good or valuable a player is. It's THE PLAYER we're talking about here, right? I remember handle telling me in a letter that they weren't going to feature a certain player until his team started getting some more wins. Stupid.

Reply #158708 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Only guessing at their selection methodology based on the names in the team - could be wrong re ladder position.

That said, remember that they pick the ASG coaches based on ladder position!

Reply #158711 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

teams are picked by carfino, bratke and and gaze

Reply #158727 | Report this post

XztaiK  
Years ago

Gaze, Carfino and Bradtke picked the teams. Dave Barlow in the team averaging 16/5/1 haha yer good one.

and i agree, team success should have nothing to do with individual honours. that said, Kobe should have 2 MVP's and Carlos Powell should have 1 then lol.

Reply #158728 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

X, Barlow is putting up those numbers on a damn good team though. And I think his perfect game probably came into consideration aswell.

Reply #158729 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And he and Ingles are a bit more "showtime" than Maher too. Remember last year and Ronaldson in the ASG? That was a bit plain.

Reply #158735 | Report this post

XztaiK  
Years ago

I think that's why Homicide got in too Isaac.

Reply #158764 | Report this post

XztaiK  
Years ago

Yeah that's why Homicide's in there too.

Reply #158765 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Heard u the first time buddy!

Reply #158769 | Report this post

correction  
Years ago

I think the selectors keep in mind the players' ability to entertain more than anything! Lets face it... thats what all-star games are about.

If there are two people up for the same spot in the team with similar performances thus far in the season (Eg. Maher vs Ingles/Barlow)..... the person who has the ability to throw down a dunk or do something athletically spectacular will (and rightly so i guess) be selected.

Brett Maher has always been one of my favourite players... He is a true champion and his record shows! But right now, i'd rather watch the likes of Ingles or Barlow etc..... more exciting!

Reply #158783 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:55 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754