Anonymous
Years ago

No contract for Dusty = no Dusty for Rockets

Found this on the Messenger Website today.
Looks like Dusty hasnt got a contract in the NBL yet which means the Rockets cant have him.

Does this mean the Rockets are out of the race? Looking at the current standings they sit in second place with out him, i wouldnt think much would change with that, but winning it might be tougher now.

Im still tipping a re match of the GF just not sure now which way i think it will go.

Thoughts?

Topic #15823 | Report this topic

-  
Years ago

Sorry here is the link

http://linky.com.au/agidr

Reply #186327 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Can someone explain this line to me in that article?

"In the absence of an NBL contract for Rychart the Rockets would have been forced to foot the bill for Rychart's minimum payment as an import an amount which exceeds the CABL salary cap."

Isn't CABL part of the ABA? Dont other teams run imports in other states?

How can the minimum payment for a player exceed the salary cap?

Reply #186333 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

Kent the CABL is the only league that has a Salary Cap, i think the minimum payment is 30k or around that and the salary cap is 15k.

Reply #186335 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Kent, while I'm just guessing, there might be a pretty big difference between the "minimum payment" and "Dusty's minimum payment".

Reply #186336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wasn't gonna play anyway.

Reply #186337 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Ah ok
was thinking that there was a ABA minimum for imports.

Gets me thinking as this could be a way for the NBL to police the salary cap.

Import player. minimum value toward salary cap
Boomer / NZ squad. minimum value say 100k
Development player minimum value say 25k
Others would be set value say 50k
the rest would work out from there.

So you could pay the players what ever you wanted but you would not be able to exceed the set salary cap limit with talent.

So say the cap is 800k
Imports would be minimum 150k each
Boomer players would be 100k each
Development players would be 25k
Others would be 50k

You have to have 2 dev players so that takes the cap down to 750k with which to split amongst 8 others

2 imports leaves you with 450k to spend on 6 players.

2 Boomer members leaves you with 4 spots and 250k to spend.

YOu could pay them what ever they wanted but the team has to be within these limits.

You could run with one import and open up a possibility of then gaining 2 more boomers etc.

Also solves the confusing issue of the points system. Internal /External BS that they have tried.

Thoughts?

Reply #186342 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Isn't that what the points system is trying to do?

They acknowledge that the salary cap is very hard to police so they brought in the points system which is along the same lines as you discussed above.

Reply #186345 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's a lot like the points system, but without differentiation between a fringe-Boomer and a star-Boomer and with dollar values instead of points.

I think they might already have minimum wages based on the external points ratings, or did have in the past?

Does vaguely remind me of something in China though - they have a lot of problems with unregistered restaurants and stores as well as unpaid taxes. So, they set up a scheme whereby customers ask for an invoice (called 'fa piao', and it is almost like a banknote - so, someone buys something for 80RMB, gets back 4x 20RMB invoices as provided by the government). Then, to provide incentive for the customers to demand invoices, they are like scratchies where you can win money back from the government. Customers ask for the invoice to try and win a prize, seller has to provide it, and as such has to report some real income to their equivalent of the ATO.

So, we just need a lottery scratchies for NBL players to encourage them to report their actual earnings. Haha.

Reply #186346 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

You could pay them what ever they wanted but the team has to be within these limits.
That defeats the intent of the salary cap, which is to stop clubs sending themselves bankrupt buying, or at least trying to buy, a championship. It also allows smaller-market teams like Wollongong compete against capital-city teams. The parity it brings to the competition is a side-effect, not the main aim. (Note that it achieves none of this, but is is intended to do these things).

The NBL points system is a tacit admission that the cap is being rorted by certain clubs and/or coaches.

Reply #186349 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

FWIW, the salary cap for the Central ABL is $15,000 per club, with a maximum of $9,000 for either the men's or women's team. It doesn't matter much anyway, because there aren't too many clubs that can afford any more than that if there was no cap.

Probably North without Dusty ease from outright favorites to equal with Norwood & Forestville. Daylight fourth.

Reply #186350 | Report this post

Hoops 72  
Years ago

DaddyO

Actually the cap is $25K with $15 max per team.

The minimum for an import is would push North over the cap.

Reply #186351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wonder if Forestville are being as honest with the cap as North?

Reply #186352 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Hoops72 - check again, I'll think you'll find that was last year.

Reply #186360 | Report this post

Hoops 72  
Years ago

Doubt that either are actually under the cap!

Reply #186362 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yeah DaddyO is right, this year the cap dropped from $25k to $15k with a maximum of 60% being paid to one team (Men's or Women's). There is a minimum wage that an import needs to be paid to satisfy the Sporting Visa requirements which exceeds the CLUB salary cap. There are a couple of ways around it but I won't go into that.

Reply #186389 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Panther , that was what i was thinking about. The Sports Visa.

Stopped all local teams getting their own imports as you had to proove that the playing salary was enough to live on and that they could not rely on a part time job to offset the playing income.

From memory Willie J almost got deported after doing some modeling work for Sports Lover.

Reply #186395 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

This brings up a good question.

Who was the last (non-NBL) import to be in Adelaide specifically to play ABL?

Obviously before the salary cap was implemented - as explained, the Visa requirements exceed the cap.

Reply #186401 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Let me answer my own question.

Austin Smylie? I assume he was non-Australian?

Before that?

Reply #186402 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

I would say an import from the Riverland. Spadey maybe? Although I think they had a black guy after him who's name escapes me.

Reply #186404 | Report this post

peewee  
Years ago

Derrick Boles was the Riverland import.

used to warm up with cotton gloves on to increase his touch on the ball once he took them off. funny guy.

Reply #186414 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

Here is Boti's spin on this from todays Advertiser

http://linky.com.au/93kg3

Reply #186468 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Smylie had dual AU/US citizenship I think.

Reply #186474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yup, I think Smylie was a dual.

Woodville import maybe?
The year they won the title?

Reply #186477 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There was Eric Bradley and then the other guy - both from the Warriors.

Reply #186482 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Matt Elder.

Reply #186485 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's the guy. I kept thinking it's something to do with a "tree" but couldn't remember which one.

Reply #186486 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Elder - his elbows were like being prodded by tree branches. I have never guarded anyone so pointy.

Reply #187063 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

And then who could forget Sean Houston, brought in by Noarlunga via the University of Sacramneto and then Chile in 2002. Lasted 9 games in which the Tigers went 3-6. I have never seen a guy try and thump the coach after a win.

Reply #187066 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Ahhh good old Derrick Boles.

Jock Page was brought in just as an import at Centrals, cost a bit, but led the league in scoring( I think).

Reply #187069 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:29 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754