Isaac
Years ago

Funny 36ers confirm signing of Aaron Bruce

Great signing from the 36ers here, picking up a top young gun and still leaving room for an import.

Full article at adelaide36ers.com

"To secure one of the most exciting prospects in Australia is a great signing for the Club. With players like Jacob Holmes, Ryan Kersten, Brad Hill and now Bruce, we have a fantastic foundation of young stars to lead the 36ers forward over the coming years".

The 36ers will now focus their attention to recruiting their final import position and a decision should be made in the coming days.

Topic #16682 | Report this topic

coopz  
Years ago

HUGE SIGNING!

looking forward to this season.

Reply #196219 | Report this post

Fanno  
Years ago

Wow, that is great news for the 36ers. We have now got some great young guards with Kersten and Bruce. Exciting times ahead..

Reply #196220 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

where do i collect the you heard it here first award?

Reply #196222 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Amazing news!

Reply #196224 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Anyone wanna attempt a starting 5?

Bruce
Import
Holmes
Balls
Luke

Seems like we have a glut in the PG area (Bruce/Brett/Kersten/Hill)?

Reply #196226 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Top pick up, but you can have Kersten & hill.They wont hurt anybody.

Reply #196227 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Wow - thought it was just Hoops banter. Good work Sixers.

Reply #196229 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Great work and exciting season.

I just hope we have an exciting import now.

Reply #196233 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

kad, Brett plays mostly SG not PG these days, but you somehow forgot "Mad Dog" Davidson in your list, so your point is still valid :).

Reply #196234 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Certainly cant criticise the recruiting this year.

Reply #196235 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Hill will play the 2/3 and Bruce starting will allow Brett to come off the bench and protect his calf as much as possible.

So i see it as

Davidson/ Kersten through the PG

Bruce / Maher the 2

Import / Winitana / Hill the 3 and ALL being able to switch to the 2 if needed.

Very flexible rotation and great balance of experience and youth.

Reply #196236 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Agreed, a good signing, especially given the pending retirements of Maher and (one would assume in 2 seasons) Davidson. It will relegate one of Winitana, Hill, or Kersten to civies on game day (my vote is for Winitana).

I like this not just for now, but next year we could have Balls, Luke, Holmes, Bruce, plus two imports. It does make us very guard heavy, and I wonder if this will mean that Burden will miss out on one of the development spots (up until now I had assumed they would go to him and Hoban).

Reply #196237 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Manute is happy with having Bruce in the team. This guy can really hoop baby!

Manute believes that Bruce is the next Steve Nash.

Regards

Manute

Reply #196238 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Top pick up, but you can have Kersten & Hill.They wont hurt anybody.

Reply #196239 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I see it more like

C : Schenscher / Cooper
PF : Ballinger / Holmes / Cooper
SF : Holmes / Import / Hill
SG : Import / Maher / Winitana
PG : Bruce / Davidson / Kersten

Just imagine if we had kept Ng (probably in place of Hill & Winitana)

Reply #196240 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Just don't see how Brad Hill fits into this lineup at all.

Can you really see him playing the 3 against the likes of Cattalini, Saville, McKinnon?

Lineup is looking great though.

Reply #196242 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Although I see the reason for suggesting Maher will come off the bench, but wouldn't it be betetr to start him and just sit him down earlier each quarter??

Reply #196244 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Massive. Massive. Wicked massive.

Reply #196245 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Hill wil be the one to sit IMO as Winitana has relocated his family here so the sixers will want to get something from him for the expense.

Hill will play all the Sunday games

Reply #196246 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There's a chance there'll just be the one Sunday game!

I think Paora's there to defend guys like Cortez, Ingles, Barlow, etc who will be too tall for Maher and Davidson and perhaps too quick for Holmes.

Slingers will release Darius Rice from his contract if he wants out - imagine adding someone with that firepower and size to the roster? 6'10" small forward who's scored 50 in a D-League game!

Reply #196247 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Actually, thinking about it some more, I think Kersten will be the one to miss out.

Reply #196248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C Shenscher/Cooper
F Ballinger/Winitana
F Holmes/Hill
G Import/Maher
G Bruce/Davidson

11th Kersten 12th Hoban

If we can get an import that scores 20pts per game, that would be a top 3 team.

Reply #196249 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Also remember, It is more likely than not that both Maher and Davidson (and others) will miss some games thru injury.

Reply #196250 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know about "likely" (sounds like you're setting them up!), but we are certainly well insured against injury in the backcourt.

Reply #196254 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Randolph.....Randolph.........we're back!

Reply #196259 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Do Adelaide need an import now?

Reply #196260 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Isaac - Not setting them up at all. The fact is that Maher hasnt player a full season since we won a championship. That was 7 seasons ago. In fact, he has missed at least 5 games in every season since.

Brad is not so certain. He had barely missed a game until last season, but he is also around the same age as Maher.

Im not saying that they will miss heaps of games, just that it is more likely than not that they will miss some.

Reply #196261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce
Maher
Import
Holmes
Ballinger

or

Bruce
Maher
Import
Ballinger
Schenscher

Maher will definitely start (and so she should)- mark my words!

Reply #196262 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Manute we where thinking the same thing, i was a little off though.

I am now very happy to be here

Reply #196263 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

awesome news, as it says lays a great foundation for the club

Reply #196266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=75578

Reply #196267 | Report this post

new name please  
Years ago

pros/cons on aaron bruce anyone?

Reply #196268 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rogue "skip" - change your alias (We already have a "skip") or get blocked from the site. Last warning.

Reply #196269 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Bruce is probably more of a scorer than a distributor IMO, but has potential in the latter area.

He started off with a bang in the NCAA (think he had approx 12ppg, 4apg in his freshmen year) but really plateaued/declined as Baylor turned around its recruiting post-Dennehy scandal.

He didn't particularly impress during his stint in the 2006 World Championships and is untested on the pro level.

Nevertheless, he is undoubtedly talented. If guys such as Alex Laughton, Matthew Knight and Damien Martin can come back to the NBL and have an impact, this guy is a surefire success.

He will have a lot less trouble handling the basketball in the NBL than international ball. From what I've seen of him in interviews etc. he seems quite confident and should be a young leader in the locker room. Playing on this team will be a great situation for him to develop.

Reply #196271 | Report this post

Ryan will get plenty of minutes

Reply #196273 | Report this post

calm down mods  
Years ago

changed.

Reply #196274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol u keep using the same name even tho they keep telling u not to use that name and then u tell THEM to calm down. classic.

Reply #196278 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

tickle, Bruce actually lead the entire Freshamn class in scoring, with about 19ppg. Played in the Big 12, so one of the best college leagues. He did fall away after his frosh season, was at one point a sure thing for the NBA, but that obviously didn't work out. Still, he had a college career better than most.

He's not a 'pure' point guard (who in the NBL is!), but he has pretty good passing ability and can run the point well. Can play uptempo very well, and I think his D was a bit of a let down, but that improved over his time at Baylor. Great shooter too.

He'd have to be Australia's 3rd best point.

Great signing.

Reply #196283 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Reply #196284 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Like his you tube highlights - lots of 3's & assists - very good signing, but as some have commented, a bit guard heavy?

Reply #196285 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

great signing, real good young base. My question is these 2+ year deals what is the read on them if the league shuts down do teams hold rights or all is dissolved and they can move to whatever team they want when it gets relaunched?

As for the import spot we dont really need a point forward now as we have many ballhandlers but just go for an imposing scoring 3 with a good defensive game. I guess hodge sans the pg play. has anyway got any ideas as to who they have been looking at?

Ninnis is living up to his rep for being good with the young kids and to me that has made the change worth it before a game has been played.

Reply #196287 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

HUGE Signing!!! Well done 6ers! I can't wait to see Bruce suit up next month!

I tend to think the lineup will be:

Davo/Bruce/Brett
IMPORT/Brett/Hill
Holmes/Winitana/Hill
Ballinger/Holmes/Cooper
Schenscher/Cooper

I think it is much better to at least begin the season with Davo, his high-energy game is exactly what you want to kick-off a game, and it will put less pressure on Bruce until he finds his feet at NBL level.

Kersten would be my 11th man, and I imagine a big would get the 12th - Hoban I'm guessing.

So Burdon will probably miss out on a spot, which is a real shame, I thought he was impressive last season, and deserving of at least a development spot.

Reply #196298 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

24, I stand corrected on his freshmen statline. The fact remains that he regressed pretty markedly from his first to last college season, although some injury hiccups would have something to do with that IIRC.

I really hope that he becomes the next big thing here in Adelaide. We've signed up a couple of pretty heralded youngsters (relatively speaking) in Schenscher and Bruce, hopefully they make us all forget about the Newley/Ingles bungles. Great work Scotty Ninnis.

Reply #196384 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

this is a great signing for Adelaide. His junior coach was Owen Hughan, one of Australia's best ever talent developers...teaches a great understanding of the game. Horsham (pop 14,000) have punched above their weight for years because of the big "O".

The funniest thing will be his clearance.....Horsham BigV division THREE to Adelaide NBL - by my reckoning transfers UP five divisions on his first senior clearance.

Reply #196386 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Great post HO (Hughan, Owen)

(Mod: Funny stuff.)

Reply #196387 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

ha, very funny...nah, HO stands for Head Office, or Hoop Oracle or somethin...I could only wish I could coach like Owen.

Reply #196476 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Good to see the Advertiser keeping up with the news too, with this out today...

http://linky.com.au/gwg1w

Reply #197197 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

IT is good to have it in print , with the team.
Is Boti a OK ? I haven't heard anything for 2 months.

Reply #197234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti does this every year - takes a hiatus

Reply #197235 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

On leave. Has been wrapping up his book about Brett Maher. I think he's back in action next week.

Reply #197419 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:33 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754