Isaac
Years ago

Around the World, and other games

Remember the classic "Around the World" shooting game? Does anyone still play that?

And H.O.R.S.E?

What are the best casual shooting and skill-based games or drills? Got any good modifications to the classics?

(I was introduced to "Tips" recently and thought it was entertaining enough to try again. I'd never heard of it before, so I don't know how commonly played it is.)

Topic #1761 | Report this topic

Hill  
Years ago

bump was a good game

Reply #19984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats bump??

Reply #19989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

elimination was good - made all shots pressure shots especially free throws

Reply #19991 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

'tips' is going to change world basketball as we know it. great game.

Reply #20005 | Report this post

Eddie #55  
Years ago

wat is tips

Reply #20011 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

Bump was good. It's like elimination, but you have to keep shooting until you make it, or the person after you eliminates you. Quite a race. Good fun though.

Can someone offer an explaination of Tips?

Reply #20026 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As I understand it (having played it once), you pair up. One duo is shooting threes, the other duo is rebounding.

The shooting team alternate. Player one shoots, then player two, etc.

If you make your three, you get a point. If you fail to hit the ring, the other team gets a point.

The team rebounding cannot step outside the three point line (memory of rules is hazy here) nor block the shot, only try to distract. If they touch the opponent while he's shooting, the shooter gets the point.

Now, where the tips come in is a bit like volleyball. Each rebounder gets one touch of the ball if it misses, but doesn't airball. They can either alley it in, or set it up for their team-mate. You must be off the ground when you touch the ball. I think that generally you're only allowed to touch the ball with one hand, but you can obviously vary this depending on skill. If the rebounders can tip it in, they get a point.

Every multiple of five collective points, you swap roles - the rebounders become the shooters, and vice versa. If the score is 3-7, you switch. If it's 12-8, you switch. Easy. First to 11 or 21 leading by 2, whichever you prefer.

As shooter, obviously your goal is to make your shots, or if you must miss, make sure it's going to be tough for the rebounders to tip it in. As a rebounder, your goal is to distract the shooter and then get into a position where you can set up your teammate or tip it in yourself.

If I've got any of this wrong, I'm sure someone can correct me. I'd never heard of it until this year, so I don't know how common it is.

You can, of course, customise it to allow bonus points for tip dunks or whatever else.

Reply #20031 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I'm a fan of around the world...we made the last shot a half court bomb so it gave a chance for everyone to catch up! Amazing how well you can hit that half courter when you want to!

Reply #20042 | Report this post

clone  
Years ago

Around the World "Keno Style" is my favourite....
If you miss your shot you have the chance to risk it all and gamble, make your gamble and you move on, but if you miss, its back to the start.
Its sooo tempting...

Reply #20113 | Report this post

Kelly  
Years ago

It wasn't H-O-R-S-E, Isaac, it was D-O-N-K-E-Y. Don't you know anything?!?!

Reply #20171 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

a good game u shoot at one ring with a group of people(2-5)and its all on all of the 5.there elbows flying and all but you have to power though it.last man standing with teeth is the winner

Reply #20176 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

clone -- nice variant!

Reply #20182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the game cheezeburger described is sweet as

Reply #20186 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

yeah your lucky you can decsribe it because some people cant because they have no more teeth

Reply #20187 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

yer thats a gun game but ur not allowed to leave the key either

Reply #20189 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

yeah no point guards are allowed in this game.last wouldnt been able to last the distance

Reply #20190 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

last=they

Reply #20191 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

theres an undersized power forward #50 who struggles with this game.he knows who he is

Reply #20192 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Kelly,

I'm with Isaac, it's H-O-R-S-E

Reply #20193 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

TR, I'm with Kelly. It's DONKEY. We'll agree to disagree (might be a generation thang).

Reply #20209 | Report this post

Eddie #55  
Years ago

It could be

S - U - P - E - R C - A - L - A - F - R - A - G - A - L - I - S - T - I - C E - X - P -E-A-L-A whatever

Reply #20252 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Eddie, that would be insane. I'd run out of ideas after the third time trying to perfect the under the legs, around the back, cartwheel, forward somersault, triple pike, non-preferred left hand shot from half way while holding a full can of beer.

Reply #20302 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

It's H-O-R-S-E. Who the hell ever played donkey?

Reply #20303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #136666 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:20 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754