nath
Years ago

Some Caps had some drinks

I am confused about this apparently the wnbl females call themselves professional athletes. A few weeks ago i travelled to the a.c.t to watch the basketball after that i went to a pub where half the canberra capitals were. i cannot believe they can call themselves pro athletes whilst they are drinking and getting very messy abby bishop and tracey beatty terrible, yes sure they can drink but during the season...not a good look girls.

(Mod: You forgot to title your topic...)

Topic #18991 | Report this topic

Girl Power  
Years ago

Is it a case of one rule for the guys/ one rule for the girls there mate?

Reply #224829 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Most reasonable country footballers would get paid more than these girls and they drink all weekend. They got a week to recover, drink it up.

Reply #224830 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Um...not that I am going to defend them, but many NBL players (and AFL for that matter) regularly go out on the turps after games too! Yet you failed to acknowledge that.

Yes it is not very professional, but fact is the players work hard and like to have a bit of fun once in a while as well, and yes that can include alcohol.

Reply #224831 | Report this post

nath  
Years ago

yes footy players always drink thats why they are always in trouble and on the news i would not call them pros... i doubt they drink alot, i was just saying its not a great look fo the ladies as they already arnt popular!!!

Reply #224835 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Were you there for the Lightning game? You're posting on an SA-oriented forum and picking on two SA players, so I wondered.

If so, they won that game comfortably and didn't have to play for another six days - plenty of time to recover after celebrating.

Bishop had team-highs in points and boards in that next game.

As long as their behaviour isn't impacting their games or shaming the club and isn't an on-going problem, I don't see a big problem.

Many NBL players go out after a game and most that I've seen drink alcohol.

Related: I remember after one 36ers game, we convinced a player I won't name to sample Bacardi 151. They were fine for a while before it caught up to them (on top of other drinks).

"Whatever you do, now would not be a good time for a shot of absinthe."
"Oh, I had a shot of that just before."

Reply #224837 | Report this post

nath  
Years ago

Thats why i went there. I wasnt picking on them i was just saying. I dont think it is a good look for their club ,what if people dont like basketball i do think it is a vey bad look if you were there you would of seen how bad they were.. recover time what about training????

Reply #224839 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

They are top on the ladder and favourite to take the flag again - makes it hard to be critical about what they do!

Reply #224843 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If they are hungover at training, that's an issue for their coach. And if people don't like basketball, they aren't going to change their mind because two tall girls are dead sober at a pub.

Reply #224855 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

If anyone can drink copious amounts of alcohol and recover it would be professional athletes in their prime!

I'm not condoning binge drinking of course, but for peak athletes, a few beverages after a big game should not have an affect whatsoever.

If they were drunk before/during the game = problem
Offered alcohol to kids = problem
Illegal drugs= problem
Drink and drive = problem
Drinks in a pubs with team mates after great win = all good

More power to you Tracey and Abby.

Reply #224858 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I'm sorry but I find this a really stupidly thought out post.
Show me a player in professional sport (IRRESPECTIVE of whether they are male/ female/ popular/ unpopular) that doesn't drink!

Personally, I like a few drinks with players and don't think all that highly of the ones that act stupid afterwards- I don't make that disctinction between male and female though- I'd still think they're a bit stupid if they act like it on the piss, so to have a post that is related to women behaving in ways that men do and it being fine, and mentioning that they're not that popular as being a sticking point, I just find this ridiculously hipocritical.

Reply #224863 | Report this post

nath  
Years ago

all im saying is they are not professionals

Reply #224867 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

In what sense?????
For that matter then, if you were as impartial as you believe or know any NBLers, you'd realise many of them are not 'professional' in social drinking sessions either!
Perhaps you should ask yourself how you define the word professional- clearly it means different things to different people.

Reply #224879 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

nath, I assume you have a job? ie, someone pays you to do something? That makes you a professional.

You have a beer with mates tonight, that make you unprofessional?

Reply #224881 | Report this post

nath  
Years ago

i doubt very much that i am a professional.. but i do play footy and yes i have beers with my friends but i dont get smashed all the time like them girls were.. i dont even get drunk during footy season

Reply #224893 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"smashed all the time"!?

You saw them once after a big win!

Are you upset that they aren't playing in Adelaide? Did they turn you down at the bar?

They're getting paid to play and they're playing well. That's enough for me.

Glassing someone is unprofessional. Lying in your own vomit in the gutter isn't going to win fans. Having a tipsy laugh with friends and maybe staggering a bit on the way to the bathroom - who cares.

Reply #224897 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I give up.
Every time this kid gets a reply to make him think, he comes out with something dumber.
What a waste of a thread!

Reply #224919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Related: I remember after one 36ers game, we convinced a player I won't name to sample Bacardi 151. They were fine for a while before it caught up to them (on top of other drinks).

"Whatever you do, now would not be a good time for a shot of absinthe."
"Oh, I had a shot of that just before."""

Oh Issac, aren't you just a caring brother!

Reply #224931 | Report this post

nath  
Years ago

HAHA your a very rude wanker everyone is entitled to there own opinion. is it really neccesary to say im dumb. you are a joke

Reply #224934 | Report this post

Years ago

nath if the cap fits wear it!

Reply #224936 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

Well I think it is disgusting what sought of example is that

Regards
Ben Cousins

Reply #224946 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Nath you obviously are the biggest loser on your team and had no mates in school. What the he'll is wrong with letting their hair down after a game? If anything people will relate to them more an respect them as people as long as they don't do anything over the top and stupid. Plus I'm fairly sure I seen abby drink before, and she can handle her booze

Reply #224951 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Professional - in the context of "professional" sportspeople simply means "Performed by persons receiving pay". Nothing about standards of personal behaviour away from their workplace, outside of work hours.

You might argue they are role models for other people and so need to set a high standard of public behaviour. Unfortunately, WNBL players simply don't have the profile of more widely publicised sportspeople and can't be seen as public role models who demand critical attention to their personal behaviour (off the court) over and above other, ordinary folks like us.

If you want to criticise these professionals' behaviour in the way you have, then you need to be consistent and criticise anyone who drinks to excess and makes a fool of themselves (if that's what happened). I feel that general stand is justifiable but there's no case for criticising these two people just because they happen to be WNBL players.

Reply #224952 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

"drinking the poison"...

;)

Reply #224963 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

If I'm a rude wanker then you pigeon hole people according to sex and popularity at what they do for a living- personally, I'd rather be a so-called wanker.
Looks like it's school holidays again- I thought the kids only just went back- time flies!

Reply #224970 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I am not taking Nath's side but spare a thought for the fact that he actually witnessed what he did in the pub and although not described the incident too well, may have been shocked by it. Everyone is commenting on what he has said but not on what he saw because they didn't see it. When you watch professional people playing at the height of their field, you develop an opinion of them as role models and quality human beings. I can quite understand that your opinion would be tarnished when seeing them behaving badly from the influence of alcohol. They are allowed to drink and have a good time, but should not compromise their reputation in a public place.

Reply #224984 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Phizzer,

I would have thought if anyone was conditioned to handle the drink it would be the fat bloke that hits the sauce every night rather than a professional athlete? I suspect frequency of drinking is the key element to how well you can handle it, I'll let you know how it feels in March after I give my body a full month off the juice in February - 6 days in and I'm dominating.

Reply #224992 | Report this post

Years ago

Just in terms of professional basketball players, I've heard Rip Hamilton doesn't drink, and has rarely (if ever) touched alcohol in fact. He mentioned something about it in an interview with SLAM earlier in the decade, saying something to the effect of simply "not wanting to get mixed up in that scene". But then again, Dennis Rodman is an admitted alcoholic, who has been to rehab for his problems with the booze (with some relapses), and has actually said that teammates would tell him that he "smelt like a brewery" when he arrived at some NBA practices. However, he is still an all-time great player without question, and one of my personal heroes for the way he's overcome adversity in his life. And ex-NBAer Keon Clark admitted he'd actually play drunk sometimes. So different professional players have different ways of going about thing, with varying results. Whether it is right or not is up to your own individual judgement obviously.

I'm not a professional athlete, but I don't drink alcohol. I go out and have a great time, just without ever drinking. If professional athletes want to do it, and they don't hurt anyone, infringe on anyone else's life etc., and it doesn't effect their performances (more their own and their coaches' concern than mine anyway), then they can go ahead and do what they like IMO.

Reply #224995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nath your a wanker,

Reply #225441 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:04 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754