ESP
Years ago

Turkoglu not going to Portland

http://linky.com.au/n7sra

Funny how quickly things change.

Topic #20381 | Report this topic

TC2  
Years ago

Out of list they had of available players, I'd take Andre Miller.

Reply #242375 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Looks like he could be headed to Toronto according to ESPN.com

The man obviously doesnt place any value on a championship ring....would rather the cash in his back pocket!!

The Blazers have more chance of going deeper into the playoffs than Toronto

Reply #242385 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I think it's a case of his value being at it's peak after a very good playoffs, andc the high value placed on tall forwards who can play bthe pick and roll.

If he can earn an extra 10M in Toronto, hard to knock that back

Reply #242388 | Report this post

darwin in NBL  
Years ago

Will toronto now have the most multicultural team in nba history?

Reply #242396 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

before Turkoglu decided to go to Toronto i heard Marion opted out his deal too. Maybe he might go to Portland?

Reply #242397 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Bargnani (Italian) Calderon (Spanish) Turkoglu (Turkish) Roko Ukic (Croatian) Jawai (Australian) Delfino (if he joins, Argentinian)...not to mention they most rumoured to get Varajao next in a sign and trade (Brazil) and Rasho Nesterovic appears likely to sign for the veteran minimum from all I've read (Slovenia).

Reply #242402 | Report this post

Rodney Carney  
Years ago

And they're based in canada

Reply #242560 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

There was a pretty good article on Real GM about Turkoglu going to the Raptors and not staying with Orlando.

Apparently Orlando had offered him a $45 million contract which he refused.

The interesting thing is that Florida doesn't have any income tax, whilst Canada has quite a hefty tax, so the $8 million difference isn't really $8 million in the pocket. Players also get incentives for playoffs and Finals which again, brings the $8 million further down. Raptors are a borderline playoff team, whilst I think the Magic are a perennial deep playoff team for the next few seasons.

The article also raises an interesting question. The Magic were 3 games from lifting the trophy, granted they were never going to beat the Lakers, but it's a hell of a lot better than what the Raptors did.

So, in reality did Turkoglu give up playing with a superstar in Dwight Howard, all stars in Shard and Nelson and the potential to win a championship for even money and a worse Raptors roster????

http://linky.com.au/bur8a

Reply #242565 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Because I'm bored sh*tless I actually looked at the numbers. I'm using one of the dodgy Canadian tax calculators.

On $11,000,000 per season Turkoglu would be paying around $4,500,000 in tax, so he pockets around $6,500,000 per season.

If he remained in Orlando on the $45 million deal over 5, which equals $9,000,000 per year. The clincher is that Florida has zero income tax, so he pockets the $9,000,000.

The numbers aren't exact as I don't know the yearly breakdown of the Raptors contract.

Maybe there is some quasi tax law in Canada. I do remember a few years ago the Raptors were making some noise about tax concessions for their players.

Reply #242568 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:02 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754