Tru Blue Emcee
Years ago

Night At The Apollo

Of course we all know how awesome the game was last night, i mean we won what more could you ask for? but of course a different or new aspect of the dome now is the Apollo restaurant has become more affordable!

I had a table booked for 10, and i must say i was impressed with the service (although there was a couple teething problems, but they were quickly addressed). I ordered the chicken parmy of course, it cost $17.55 as a member (worth the price in my books), and it was delicious and very quick to be cooked and served, i sunk that with a couple pale ales of course, my missus ordered the chicken caesar salad, although not my thang, but was very tasty too.

All in all i would recommend to everyone to at least once this season get up there for a meal, because it was well worth it and a great start to a night of top quality Basketball. More info Here! i also over heard its booked out for the next couple of weeks, so book ahead!

Also one thing that i think needs to be addressed (but I'm sure its on the cards) is there needs to be an ATM at the dome again, it'll be good for the club and convenient for the fans!

How was everyone else's night experience, not just the game, but how things we're run as a whole?

Topic #21191 | Report this topic

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

sorry for the long post btw!

Reply #251697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We also went to the Apollo resaurant last night and between the four of us we had the fish (by 2) the cannelloni and a chicken parmy each of us were very happy with the service,the price and the food. We will certainly be up there again during the season.

Reply #251698 | Report this post

Jay-Jay Manners  
Years ago

Live streaming of games, opening of the Apollo to the public, opening of the best seats at The Dome to fans instead of sponsers. These are all great changes that new management have bought in. Things seem to really be happening.

This is the kind of stuff I was expecting to role out when Mal took over. Makes you realise just how much Mal sat on his hands. There were no new ideas, no innovation. The only major event was The Dome undergoing a much needed referbishment. That was great, but wasn't exactly done by Mal. We've got Eddie to thank for that.

Anyway, I am really impressed with what's going on with the Sixers at the moment. Change is actually happening! This looks very promising.

Reply #251704 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Might need to extend the Apollo Restaurant if it keeps on being booked out.

Reply #251724 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

Yeah its all good signs for the Dome, things are changing for the better. All the upgrades from the previous seasons are great ones in my opinion eg championship banners/ jerseys placement, the idea of memb cards an the dining,a screen everyone can actually see, they are all simple ideas but very effective.
Seeing the last 3-4 seas nothin has really changed too much its great to see so much positive change in such little time. Obviously last night had a few opening night problems but once everything is in place an running properly its gonna be a great venue an powerful home for the 6ers.

Reply #251736 | Report this post

Chewy  
Years ago

Well at least it's better value than the kiosks. $4.20 for a bucket of chips, $4 for a coke, $7 for a shoddy burger. Extortion.

Reply #251741 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Great to hear the restaurant went well, my biggest concern when hearing about it is getting the food ordered, cooked, served and eaten in a 2 hour time frame, looks like they handled it pretty well and people had sufficient time to enjoy a feed and a few pre-game drinks.

Look forward to dining at the Dome when I'm over next!

Reply #251745 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

Tell me if it doesnt but do the members discount -recharge cards knock off 10/% at the kiosk?
We are eating at home and bringing BYO drinks and chips anyway but since i read your post we will do the Apollo Walk.
The premiership flags were off the wall.I thought they were loud and proud there and I couldnt see if they went somewhere else.I was disgruntled.
Also what was with the entry gates?We got there earlier but before the game started I had to go back to the car and the Q was out to the Oval .Did everyone have problems with the handheld scanners?

Reply #251755 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Handheld scanners have been there for a while now?
Been talked about on here the Premiership banners are hanging from the rafters were they should be hanging.

Reply #251761 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DJ, previously they had turnstiles at the main entrance. Handheld scanners were quicker IMO as too many people struggle with the turnstiles.

Shotclock, the championship banners are hanging from the rafters where they should be. In line with the Davis and Maher singlets, but towards the main entrance - look roughly about the home team bench.

Reply #251801 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

An SOS member informed me that the tables were fairly spread out and possibly if the caterers rearrange things they may be able to accommodate more diners. Let's hope so for the sake of fans who want to dine before the game.

Reply #251827 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The most enjoyable thing is the win
and the second most enjoyable thing is this:
The smiles on the childrens faces when they are clapping away with their parents, grandparents and the crowd to the game with background music.

Reply #251828 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

The Kiosks seem to be a bit worse than last year. While it looks like a neat having everything in shiny containers etc. the quality seems to a bit off-putting.

Also, no Strong FUIC. That's just shocking. It will take months to ween myself back on "regular".

Reply #251857 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Cheers for the review. We're booked in for this Fri (Crocs game) and looking forward to it.

I'm a fan of the changes being brought in too - I'd definitely pay $5 to watch live streams of away games if other clubs brought it in and the game wasn't televised.

Reply #251944 | Report this post

AeroSpaceJunkie  
Years ago

Camel 31....would have to agree with you there.
My son had his little 36ers uniform and he loved it from start to finish. Cheering, clapping and dancing except when he was gettin a little tired by the end of the night lol....he's only 2.
My wife and I enjoyed the game and the dinner with my parents and friends.
I think the pricing at the kiosks need to be looked at but I highly doubt they will. Not to mention the ridiculous $4+ price for a small 375 or 390ml (whatever it is) bottle of coke from the Apollo Restaurant. None the less it was a great meal and great service.
Overall look is a whole lot better eg the championship banners and the Davis and Maher singlets hangin where they should be for all to see and admire.
Anyhoo enough from me... bring on the next home game woo hooo!!!

Reply #252036 | Report this post

Who, what, where  
Years ago

Gonna have to book in I think.

Can I suggest that the seats behind the back board at the Apollo end of the stadium be made general public.

I had a great time last Saturday, but couldn't stop looking way back at the nose bleed section and wondering why we don't fill the seats at that end of the stadium 1st. As most people walk in it is the 1st section of the stadium you see and for to log it has looked bare behind there.

It would be nice if these filled up 1st.

Reply #252064 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They are gold seats (AFAIK) whereas above the concourse is silver. Also, people may have a better vantage from further away but central than from behind the buckets. Any season ticket holders behind the baskets might have been given the option to shift to better seats during the off-season too.

I'd like to see those areas opened up to fairly cheap group bookings of 8+. Have the prices drop the more you bring in, so you could even get them half price if you had 20 or so people - work social group, community organisation, etc.

Reply #252074 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Isaac - Exact same thought. I personally wouldnt want to pay the same to sit behind the basket as someone who is sitting 6 rows back in the centre of the court.

Reply #252075 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I like your idea Isaac. I noticed that both ends behind the basket were pretty empty last Saturday and yet we had a bunch of people up in the nosebleeds! Definitely need to fill the stands behind the baskets to build atmos both live and on tv. And I reckon the larger the group the more rowdy they'll be too, which is exactly what you want for opposition FT's!

Reply #252078 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Great Idea Isaac! Anything to fill those seats...

Reply #252104 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:22 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754