raytri
Years ago

Boti's keepers: Balls, Burston, Herbert, Ng

After reading Boti's article in todays Advertiser, I have to totally agree. The team needs a complete overhaul with players who go deep and who can contribute more points off the bench. Something WE haven't had this season but other teams have.

Topic #22211 | Report this topic

Mutley  
Years ago

I tend to agree with him. I disagree on Holmes though.

If the club is so stupid as to resign Cortez then they will absolutely deserve the empty arena they will be playing to. Gilchrist to me should have been a 50-50 to retain, and I would think that his knee injury should rule him out. The two-man game with him and Ballinger should have been spectacular, and instead it was non-existant. And that is Gilchrist's fault.

It has been a shithouse year. It is never a good sign when you come away from a game and the first positive thing you think is "David Cooper played ok tonight".

I have no idea of his situation at Perth but going after someone like Stephen Weigh would be a good start. We could probably guarantee him 30+ minutes, whereas he won't necessarily get that with the Cats.

Boti is also right about Molitor. It is just unf*cking believable that a guy who is 10th man on a roster has only played 13 minutes for an entire season (and has looked lost on court for every single second of that time). Though, after 18 years he has finally knocked Kym Taylor from the mantle of "Worst ever 36ers player".

But the first move to me has to be the head coach.

Reply #266351 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Agreed

Reply #266352 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's the link for those wanting to read the article: Time to re think the way.

I think his four keepers are correct and then Holmes is on the line, but might need to be kept depending on what happens with other clubs and players.

Reply #266355 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

i think Weigh is signed on for another year with the cats!

Reply #266357 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Totally agree as well and with comments that Holmes is borderline to be retained.

Need two new imports and a few quality Aussies to be brought in. Plenty of talented Aussies going around, who to choose?

Reply #266358 | Report this post

frank  
Years ago

what i think is adelaide needs some1 who the team will respect such as Brett mahar i think ninnis is too soft he makes the wrong moves. i am a coach and i no if i make the wrong move it hurts my team also give gilly a go he will be at his best with another im port where he dont have too make the big shots great passes and look to feed balls.

Reply #266361 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Not sure what his situation with Melbourne will be, but I'd also like to get Luke Kendall over here.

Reply #266365 | Report this post

frank  
Years ago

what about dusty and the cat like old times?

Reply #266366 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

I personally would like to see Liam Rush playing for us (not sure where he's playing) but he really improved his game over the past few seasons, i think he would fit well with the above players (incl. Holmes, he's a keeper in my eyes too)

Reply #266367 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Frank if you are going to think like that, why not Mark Davis and Al Green too?

Come to think of it, Green would have been an upgrade on Cortez.

Reply #266368 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Frank, I don't necessarily agree with you about Gilly. It's unfortunate that his season has ended so badly for him, but for the Sixers, to my mind he likes to hang onto the ball for too long. he did seem to be getting better though and he can make some excellent passes when he has a mind to. Not sure about JH's exclusion, but he definitely needs to be putting more points on the board.

Reply #266370 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I'm happy to see Holmes retained. I see him as the glue guy, solid defender, great rebounder (pretty sure he led the league?). Every good team needs a glue guy. Now, if only he could shoot.......

Reply #266376 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

"dusty and the cat" with frank coaching....oh dear

Reply #266379 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

I agree "the doctor", he's good at getting the boys focussed when he's on the court, but points on the board is what counts at the end of the day, and many of the current teams seem to have prolific scorers, something we don't have with this team. However in saying that I'de like to retain him if possible.

Reply #266382 | Report this post

Sares  
Years ago

I say keep Holmes for his attitude, the guy works hard on court and seems to be very team orientated. Think of how important guys like sapwell and rees were to the team vibe during those glory years. My guess is his stats have dropped lately because of the sixers poor offence, with gilchrist out of the mix now, a better ball distributor and his stats would probably inmprove. Keep him as potential captain/co-captain and long-term player to provide some stability within the team and within the adelaide basketball system.

I don't agree with boti that an all out cleaning is the way to go. I think a couple of changes could make huge differences. Despite playing really poorly the sixers have still been in the mix on several occasions, so I think the potential is there, we unfortunately had a big problem in one key area, communication.....between the point guard and coach, coach and the team, the entire team in general. Change that and the whole game could change.

Reply #266383 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Holmes should be able to fill the role that Dusty used to. He rebounds very well and should be able to pick up a few points here and there without any offence being specifically run for him.

Reply #266384 | Report this post

frank  
Years ago

i would look at getting wortho he is massive in the nbl so he is like an import it is hard too get some1 like that he is worth an import spot
and he loves balls

Reply #266386 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Ball movement (or lack of) has been a major factor in many of our losses this year particularly at crunch times, and as you say Sares good ball distribution would make a huge difference to our bottom line. However we still need players who can finish off once they get the ball and these are few and far between at the moment.

Reply #266389 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Absolutely agree with Boti, except also definitely keep Holmes. No-brainer IMO.

Reply #266392 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Ive been saying this for ohh half the season lol, so thanks to those that told me I was so so soooo wrong.

As for Holmes, good defender, fantastic rebounder. Think replacing him will be hard, get a good coach and work on his offense under the ring and as others have said he could turn into a dusty like player...10point games are all he needs to be worth while.

Reply #266394 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Let Hill go and he will become a good contributor at another NBL club. Holmes should be kept, he is an excellent backup, but should be played at the 3 more where he can use his post up game to effect.

Two new imports and Cooper and Molitar replaced for mine.

Reply #266396 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doc, Holmes is second in the team in three point percentage so his shooting isn't all bad. It's just the interior stuff he could lift on (42%).

Reply #266404 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Wow, that's definitely news to me. Either way, I'm for keeping Holmes, I think he brings those intangibles that are so important on a good team.

Reply #266415 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

For those that can remember the 1980s, Holmes fits in this team similar to the role Peter Ali played in the mid to late 1980's. Undersized, never spectacular, didn't score big points but worked his butt of every game.

However, the league is bigger now, so is there room for him as a starter?

Reply #266420 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Definitely no room for Holmes as a starter. Happy for him to fill the 8-9 spot on the roster, but he is the lowest priority signing of those who may be retained.

Reply #266427 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

We have a team overhaul EVERY YEAR and then use the "Gelling" excuse for the first half of every year. Let's not cut players for the sake of change. How about a bit of continuity with the players who are good enough.

Holmes is one of the 1st signed IMO.

Keep: Balls, Holmes, Burston, Herbert, Ng, Hill

Maybe: Cortez as an Australian (I don't even know how that rumour came about or if he can become an Aussie in time but I'd take him on a low salary if he didn't waste an import spot), Cooper if we can't find another Aussie (I hope we can).

Gone: Gilchrist, Molitor.

Grab a new coach, an import swingman, import PG, and an U23 Aussie Centre.

Reply #266428 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I laughed when Smyth kept extending the gelling period.
For that reason keep Ballinger Burston Herbert Ng Holmes Groves as an aussie and Hill.
Add Schenscher, A good PG and compulsory U23.

Reply #266433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the uniformed, Ninnis IS signed for next season.

Reply #266436 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea i think we need to keep atleast half of the team i personally would keep

Burston

Ballinger

Holmes (play more mins at sf next year along side ballinger and burston not just backing them up, he was starting sf along side rychart and rees in seasons we made playoffs so i have no probs him playing sf a bit more)

Ng

Herbert

Hill (50-50 depending on whose out there and points/$$ available, maybe replace for a pg ala luke martin mould experienced and cheap (or a more expensive/better guy like a kendall/ryan if $$ and points allow) as we have enough sg/sf)

I would have kept Gilchrist prior to him injuring his knee

and replace Groves, Cooper and Molitor and now Gilchrist

Give us some good continuity so we dont have as much of a gelling period (i hope)

I would then go after Schenscher, (if we miss out on him the best aussie we can get not neccisarly a big as we have burston, then we could possibly move Ng and/or Herbert back to coming off the bench so we have more depth)

a star import pg (Gilchrist was ok for me, another year of experience with the team and possibly a different coach i think he had the potential to be a star),

a scoring sf who can average atleast 15ppg and prferably long and athletic and versatile (play some sg and pf also),

get the best possible player under 23 we can find,

Reply #266438 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"he was starting sf along side rychart and rees in seasons we made playoffs so i have no probs him playing sf a bit more"

Seems to have lost a bit of speed and agility since then. He certainly needs to play a bit there with a fit Ballinger/Burston combo in the team but I'd say he's far more effective at PF.

Schenscher/Burston/Ballinger/Holmes is just too much. I'm afraid it's one or the other when it comes to the two Centres.

Reply #266439 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'd guess IF it is the same coach, we'd need more overhaul in players then. Wouldn't we ?
Some look a little lost.

Reply #266441 | Report this post

Sares  
Years ago

rytri, I think all those guys, Ballinger, Burston, Ng, Herbert, Holmes, Groves, Cooper, even Hill are capable of "finishing baskets". Good ball movement creates the easier baskets so instead of taking on one or two players off the dribble, you are taking on your defence half a step ahead. The downfall with most of these guys is they can't create off the dribble, they need a bit of ball movement to get the defence out of place in order to get the easier basket.

Why do people keep wanting to pursue Schensher rather than being happy with what we have?? Burston is a good fit and he has shown his team committment, wasn't he the player that called a team meeting when everything started going to pot??? They don't need another centre.

And Cooper is fine in my book as back-up centre, get him to model his game on Reese, just there as a big body in the key and throw a few elbows when the little guys get pushed around.

I say a new point guard and a new aussie/import SF/PF that is a threat off the dribble and an under 23s back-up pg or atleast a good ball-handler.

Reply #266442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am happy to do a straight swap with Burston and Schenscher. As for Weigh being mentioned he is contracted to Perth for another year and his dad is the one running the push for Brisbane to come back so if he goes any where i am guessing it is there. I think the 4 players Boti has said is right for you guys, even if Cortez become naturalised he is still gonna be no good so why keep him? As for some of the names mentioned like Wortho and co i think you have almost no chance of getting those guys especially with 2 new teams coming in next year i am guessing you are going to have almost the same team as this year.

Reply #266448 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Pretty sure it was Cooper that called the meeting.

Reply #266450 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anon #266436, Please provide your source that Ninnis is signed for another year. It would be absolute suicide for the club to keep him another year. Lets just hope that if its true, its just a case of being signed to do something (reception desk) and not necessarily in the role of head coach. I for one could not stand another season with him as head coach. I have to keep emphasising that I like the guy but not as a head coach. Another season would be ruined before it even started.

Reply #266451 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Hendo8888, I believe it was Burston. Cooper and his partner organised the orienteering day the team had to bring some social interaction to the team.

Reply #266452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about bringing Horvath back? He is a kiwi now, should come cheaper nd played ok in spurts for the dragons last year.

Reply #266455 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Boti isn't really cutting ground breaking stuff here is he???

best 4 in the team right now, and not imports so easy calls...

good thing he's making a good wicket on the advertiser....

Reply #266456 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"What about bringing Horvath back? He is a kiwi now, should come cheaper nd played ok in spurts for the dragons last year."

I'd take a Cooper-Horvath swap for sure. Always been a fan. Might not be that compatible with Balls but Horvath-Holmes would be a perfect mix off the bench.

Reply #266461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Horvath is effectively retired. He took this season off to go to Uni I think with the plan of becoming a school teacher. I dont know if that is in Melbourne or back in NZ but he also told the NZ national team he wouldn't be available for selection.

Reply #266462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep Scotty.

Otherwise ditch Adelaide and just keep the 36ers as the team name.

Reply #266463 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Keep Scotty?

Only if he recruits another coach to help him...(read:Takeover)

Reply #266469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C Burston/Johnson (U23?)
F Ballinger/Horvath or Rychart
F Import/Holmes
G Ng/Herbert
G Import/Grabau or (Luke) Martin

Reply #266486 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I like that team, would be ideal IMO

Reply #266489 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

As for the imports, i reckon a combo ala Mee and Brooks would be ideal if we could find 2 players of similar attributes. (PG good leader,a good defender who can run the offense well and score 10-15pts with 5-10 assists, SF long athletic, versatile can handle the ball and average around 15-20pts 2-3 assists, 5-10 rebounds)

A couple of more recent guys i was thinking of are Donta Smith or even Tremell Darden or even Chris Williams for the SF spot and i reckon Deyante Draper or even Darnell Hinson would be good fits for the PG spot.

I would personally look at the d-league and find 2 guys who are doing well and if possible have nba experience and try and get them out here, wasnt there talk of Luke Jackson or David Noel a year ago when they were chasing Hodge both those guys were good d-league players with nba experience and probably be worth looking at for the SF spot,

Reply #266493 | Report this post

shotclock  
Years ago

In the past normally bench warmers get a chance to prove themselves when the 36ers are in such a winning position that the game cannot be lost....... now, lets count how often that has happen this season 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9........ oh wait sorry thats how many times the 6ers have screwed themselves over! Before the bench warmers (MOLI) got a chance to go on!!!! Maybe we should have put the bench warmers on in place of the time wasters like Gilcrest and Groves and maybe we would be a better position than we are now.

Reply #266598 | Report this post

Ando  
Years ago

Now I understand it must be me... But why does everyone want Ng to stay. He seems a nice enough bloke, but IMHO he doesn't score enough (maybe 3 or 4 3 pointers a game) and doesn't seem to offer much else.

Reply #266605 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

are you freakin serious Ando?

He is a definite keeper...

the four Nigy said are the four i said the day before...dood's just quoting me...and to be honest i'm sick of it...lol

Reply #266606 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"but IMHO he doesn't score enough (maybe 3 or 4 3 pointers a game) and doesn't seem to offer much else."

3 or 4 threes a game is DAMN GOOD! Especially at 47% or whatever he's at now. He doesn't have to offer much else! Although his defence has improved a fair bit this year.

No one's calling him a superstar but he's the best shooter in the league and a pretty handy guy to have coming off the bench. Definitely a keeper.

Reply #266609 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Agreed re: Holmes being the glue guy.

The bloke has been the most consistent for us this year IMO. Great 6th man, lifts the intensity level.

Reply #266654 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

As 1/2 of the NG boys (I'm the N lol) we can not get rid of Him, he's way to valuable to us!

Reply #266662 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Ah I actually spotted you on Sat. Tru Blue, next time I will come say hi.

Reply #266665 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Getting rid of NG or Holmes you are kidding me one is the next Aust. NBL star and one is the hear and soul of club

Reply #266667 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

DB5: yeah holla at me next time I'm there every game :-)

Bretts The Man: I totally agree mate

Reply #266763 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

No probs. Had a chat with DJ Rod. Was good to meet him. Will look out next time.

Reply #266767 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:16 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754