BJF
Years ago

Woolpert is upset

Quite the rant

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2012/02/13/305181_sport.html

To stop the game for Diamon was the right thing to do. IMO the refs should have made him sub out.

I also thought Peter Crawford was the main issue for the Crocs, his body language from the get go was pretty bad.

Topic #27538 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

"I told some of the guys that if it was up to me that a number of them wouldn't get paid for this game," he said.
Ouch.
Diamon Simpson was the main destroyer for the 36ers with 22 points and 12 rebounds, while Darren Ng chipped in with 19 points and Daniel Johnson was a constant presence on his way to 15 points and seven rebounds.
Simpson had 19 and 12. Johnson had 20 and 7. Seems like the Bulletin reporter was confused by the NBL's listing of efficiency as the right-most column.

The NBL should highlight the points column more.

Reply #350412 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

He has some valid points that he raises.

I'm for one, a person who believes that players shouldn't get paid (or at least as much) for a bad performance.

While I would say this for the NBL level of pay, I would certainly think it's something valid to consider for Soccer, NFL, NBA players etc. who get paid a mint for doing next to nothing.

Also agree that blowing the whistle when someone is limping down the floor was a bad move. Glad to see the team win, but that's a very odd call to make by the refs.

When Redhage did his hip in, I remember the game continuing until there was a dead ball.

Reply #350417 | Report this post

read the rules  
Years ago

This is clear that the officials may stop the game because the ball was dead.

If they dont stop the game then Adelaide are disadvantaged with four defenders on the next play and perhaps it could have been an inury which forced Simpson from the court

In the end he was ok to play on so maybe it was cramp but I dont think it was a ploy to hold up the game

-------------

Art. 5 Players: Injury

5.1 In the event of injury to a player(s), the officials may stop the game.

5.2 If the ball is live when an injury occurs, the official shall not blow his whistle until
the team in control of the ball has shot for a field goal, lost control of the ball,
withheld the ball from play or the ball has become dead. If it is necessary to protect
an injured player, the officials may stop the game immediately.

5.3 If the injured player cannot continue to play immediately (within approximately 15
seconds) or, if he receives treatment, he must be substituted unless the team is
reduced to fewer than five (5) players on the playing court.

Reply #350419 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Marty, Redhage was injured in a live-ball situation. From memory, Simpson dunked and immediately clutched at his leg and motioned for help or the ref. Looked sincere enough. Pretty sure the ball hadn't been inbounded at the time he first made the gesture.

Lucky timing or a shrewd ploy - hard to know.

Reply #350420 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Make that "Wouldn't do this for an NBL level competition with the pay they are on".

Reply #350422 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Isaac, guess you would call it a typical judgement call.

The ball had been passed in and TVL were already over half court by the time the whistle blew.

Reply #350423 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Just watched the replay and the ball isnt inbounded at all

The refs blow the whistle immediately to stop the game when the dunk happens

Reply #350427 | Report this post

GoGo G  
Years ago

Big Marty is more than likely Liam
ha ha

Phil Haines did the only thing he could IMO

Good win from the boys, will Simpson be ok to play next week?

Reply #350429 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

http://youtu.be/_QpHZtMyeig

Reply #350433 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

GoGo G, who the hell is Liam?

Reply #350457 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

or here is another video that clearly shows the ball was never passed in and was the correct call.

Simpson's dunk and injury

Reply #350460 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Liam is the assistant coach for Townsville.

"The ball had been passed in and TVL were already over half court by the time the whistle blew."

really? the video says otherwise. Someone must have edited the video footage I think :P

Reply #350461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesnt matter if the ball is not in bounded yet,

The ball isnt dead.

Reply #350464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It may not be dead but in this instance the clock is stopped so stopping the game isnt an issue on this play

Reply #350467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #467 who says it isn't an issue?

The rule refers to dead ball periods. This was not a dead ball period. The player was not in danger.

The game should not have been stopped.

Reply #350475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he was right in the middle of the area where teams normally pass in the ball. potentially dangerous.

Reply #350479 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Great video King James

Reply #350487 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Seems simple really -

Crocs Fan - wasnt a dead ball and not dangerous situation therefore incorrect call

36ers Fan - potentially dangerous situation and ball out of court therefore correct call

IMO the poor play of Crawford was way more influential than the refs. For someone who was touted by some a a Boomer certainlty he had an absolute shocker!

Reply #350488 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

5.1 In the event of injury to a player(s), the officials may stop the game.
5.2 If the ball is live when an injury occurs, the official shall not blow his whistle until
the team in control of the ball has shot for a field goal, lost control of the ball,
Three - Teams
withheld the ball from play or the ball has become dead. If it is necessary to protect
an injured player, the officials may stop the game immediately.
5.3 If the injured player cannot continue to play immediately (within approximately 15
seconds) or, if he receives treatment, he must be substituted unless the team is
reduced to fewer than five (5) players on the playing court

So i understand from this that the ball was dead as it had yet to be inbounded, however Simpson took longer than 15 seconds to recover so should have been subbed off.

Woolpert himself exacerbated the time frame due to his incorrect complaint about stopping the game.

King James video shows Woolpert has already started complaining before the 15 second mark.

Reply #350490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually the ball was live as per:

Art 10.2 The ball becomes live when:
?? During the jump ball, the ball leaves the hand(s) of the referee on the toss.
?? During a free throw, the ball is at the disposal of the free-throw shooter.
?? During a throw-in, the ball is at the disposal of the player taking the throw-in.

As the ball was in the hands of the Crocs player the ballw as live.

Reply #350499 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

i raise you one

10.3 The ball becomes dead when:
?? Any field goal or free throw is made.
?? An official blows his whistle while the ball is live.
?? It is apparent that the ball will not enter the basket on a free throw which is to
be followed by:
? Another free throw(s).
? A further penalty (free throw(s) and/or possession).
?? The game clock signal sounds for the end of the period.
?? The twenty-four (24) second clock signal sounds while a team is in control of
the ball.
?? The ball in flight on a shot for a field goal is touched by a player from either
team after:
? An official blows his whistle.
? The game clock signal sounds for the end of the peri

Reply #350500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJF I don't understand.

The ball was Dead after a field goal, then bacame live once at the disposal of the inbounder.

As shown on the video its in the hands of the Townsville player when the game was stopped.

Therefore it was stopped in error.

Plus Simpson was not in danger. Again it was stopped in error.

Reply #350501 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

i get what you are saying, to me Mims has the ball lodged on his hip and is not looking to pass in as Simpson has his hand up.

Does it really matter anyway? you could argue 100 calls every game that in someway impact on the result

Rules say the refs have the right to stop the game whenever they want

Good on Marty for being opportunistic and responding to the situation which he did legally and within the rules

Reply #350502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even though the rules clearly allows for the referee to stop play in the exact situation that occurred with Simpson clearly calling for help, the wistle being blown well before the Townsville player was even looking to throw in, and the ball being out of bounds with the clock stopped. , it is also wise to remember that refs in the NBL will consciously not always blow to the letter or spirit of the rules.

That said I suspect that with it looking like Simpson may have had a significant injury, the official was suddenly reminded that they had allowed Mins to absolutely maul Simpson FROM BEHIND ( check the photo in the local SA paper) on a clear shot/dunk to the basket - obviously causing Simpson to land awkwardly, without calling a foul, or possibly even an unsportsmanlike like foul ( also allowable under the rules).

Giving Simpson a bonus , or even a bonus and possession would probably been upsetting to Townsville as well.

Reply #350507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where can a person download a full copy of the rules. Would love to have a read

Reply #350508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fiba.com

Reply #350509 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

You have convinced me that the call was OK. Happy to be corrected. My assumption was that the ball was not dead after a basket. I was wrong after reading what was posted on here.

Reply #350521 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I just watched the replay and I am convinced that Haines couldn't have handled it better.

Reply #350527 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I tend to agree with King-James. My recollection of this episode is that the ball had passed the half way before the game was stopped. However, it is quite clear in the video that Mims had heavily collided into Simpson's back during the dunk and that looked like the reason he came down awkwardly and hurting himself when he landed. Whilst one would argue that the game should not have been stopped,
Townsville should consider themselves lucky that a foul wasn't called. They got off lucky and have no reason to complain about the disadvantage to their team by the stoppage when they actually got an advantage that a foul was not called.

Reply #350546 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Just having had another look at the video, I acknowledge my recollection was flawed and that the clock was stopped before play began as you can see 24 seconds on the shot clock when the whistle was blown. Correct decision by ref as Townsville had not started to play.

Reply #350548 | Report this post

Sixersfan  
Years ago

I'm a sixers fan and after careful review believe it was a ploy on Simpsons behalf. You can see how he lands and puts full weight and pressure on it after he clutches it.

Time should have continued..... He was that hurt get him off but ran down the court only seconds later

Reply #350551 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

if it was a ploy, he is a very very smart basketball player.

Reply #350553 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Sixersfan, a cramp in the leg passes after several seconds, but unbearable in the meantime. Its not a lasting injury. How could it be a ploy? To be a ploy he would have to know what decision the refs would make. I realy dont't think he has been in the NBL long enough to be able to predict a refs call.

Reply #350554 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

I've been following the NBL since 1984 and I can't predict what the referees will call/decide and from what Ive heard Diamon is not a very very smart basketballer.

Reply #350573 | Report this post

Sixersfan  
Years ago

EC He didnt hold his leg like a cramp and if it was he would have sat down. Not called players over.
I've been involved at high level fitness before so I know what a cramp can and cant do. It was a time delay he wouldn't have been able to predict what the refs were going to do no-one can predict that but can unsteady and rattle the crocs from their train of thought.

Yes Diamon is not a very smart player, would have been instrumented from radford or clarke.

Reply #350690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ball was never inbounded, play was stopped before Mims passed the ball. Correct refereeing. Had the ball been inbounded then it would have to be play on.

Reply #350692 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Simpson reckons he was fouled and cramped up onair@fiveaa. He has to be lighter for this league , he didn't know that.
( Cornesy still grilled Radford for 5 minutes about the tech. Radford was elusive for about four , but Cornesy is skillfull and got it out of him , eventually.)

Reply #350693 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Sixersfan, have you ever had a cramp in your leg? I get them regularly and one thing you don't do during a cramp is hold your leg. I overcome them by pressing my foot hard onto a hard floor. If you look at the video, that is exactly what Simpson did. He called players over in case he needed assistance getting back to the bench on one leg. Sorry, from the perspective of someone fully experienced in leg cramps, Simpson's "cramp" looked very geniune.

Reply #350786 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Radford : ' It's not been easy for us , there's been changes. Leeanne Grantham has been brought in.' sic.
Weigh (last week ) : ' We're doing more than worrying about the win loss column. ' yuk.
I'm not mucha fan of Weigh-Clarke. I like Maher.
Each person has his own preference.

Reply #350802 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:50 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754