Isaac
Years ago

Wade: NBA Olympians should get paid

NBA player and Olympian Dwyane Wade has come out saying that he thinks that NBA players suiting in the Olympics should be paid in some way for their time, possibly through funds from jersey sales.

"The biggest thing is now you get no rest," Wade said. "So you go to the end of the season, (Team USA) training camp is two weeks later. You're giving up a lot to do it. It's something you want to do. But it's taxing on your body. You're not playing for the dollar. But it would be nice if you would get compensated."
He was joining Ray Allen, who said:
"You talk about the patriotism that guys should want to play for, but you (need to) find a way to entice the guys," Allen was quoted as saying in the interview. "It's not the easiest thing in the world if you play deep in the playoffs and then you get two, three weeks off and then you start training again to play more basketball, where it requires you to be away from home and in another country. It's fun, but your body does need a break."
Full story

A couple of the top comments on the article disagree with their stance:
I don't want anyone representing my country in the Olympics who demands to be paid to do so.
I'd rather NOT MEDAL, than pay NBA'ers for the Olympics.
Further confounding the issue but unmentioned in the article is that of owners forking out millions for player contracts, then potentially losing a player to injury during international competition. That, I think, is a bigger issue.

Topic #28061 | Report this topic

curtley  
Years ago

How much would Dwayne Wade like?

$500......$50,000?

Their insurance should be paid to their clubs.

Reply #358129 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Thy say they should get paid then frame their argument that they don't get enough time to rest, what will money do? This is stupid.

Reply #358135 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

They should get money if a jersey is sold with their name on the back I think..

So what, Nike gets paid for players going to the Olympics but the players dont?

Getting paid to play, no, but a percentage of merch sales which uses their name, yes.

Reply #358141 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Ha - tell that to the athletes in lesser sports who train full time for years just to get their shot at olympic glory while surviving on part time work and help from family members.

Reply #358143 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

alexkrad, presumably Nike (as an example) would pay a great deal of money to be an official supplier/endorser. Jersey sales would be one way to make some of that back.

If the athletes think playing at that level is not worth the risk, they should just sit it out and let someone else more willing take the opportunity.

Reply #358145 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Spot on VC Fan, is the issue the fact that your body needs to rest or you need more money?

What's Wade on, $15m a season? How much would he expect to make from the Olympics? Another million? Would he even notice this amount or would it just be thrown on top of the pile?

I get that looking after your body is important, and that the NBA season is particularly gruelling, but seriously, this is the Olympics and these NBA players would be better paid than virtually every other athlete competing (elite tennis players perhaps the other mutli millionaires?). Money won't make their bodies heal faster.

Reply #358152 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

The yanks should go back to sending their best college players. Use it as a pre-draft camp to hype potential lottery picks.

I think its hilarious that Wade says its about rest, yet money helps????

Reply #358156 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

"If the athletes think playing at that level is not worth the risk, they should just sit it out and let someone else more willing take the opportunity."

Bingo.

If you're being paid millions of dollars AND being given the chance to win a gold medal for your country, don't whine and moan.

Man up and say "the season has been too grueling to commit to an Olympic campaign, so I will sit out and give someone else a spot to represent the country". Hell, give someone who earns less money the chance to get themselves some glory.

Reply #358158 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

As Australians, the pinnacle achievement all basketballers dream about is donning the green and gold at the Olympic Games.

These ridiculous comments from Ray Allen, Dwyane Wade and to a lesser extent, Rajon Rondo, are ridiculous. All three of these players have been officially added to my shit list.

Reply #358163 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Wade has since come out to clarify the comments regarding this story.

Wade has said he was answering a journalist question who asked him if he thinks they should be paid and Wade said yes.

Wade did not state personally that he wants payment.

Reply #358174 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

And if you get paid for being at the Olympics, I beleive that disqualifies you from being there.

It is supposed to be an "amateur" competition. They only relaxed the rules a few years ago to allow "professionals" to represent their country.

Reply #358190 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

They only relaxed the rules a few years ago to allow "professionals" to represent their country.

Correct. If by "a few years" you mean "20 years".

Reply #358274 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:44 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754