hughj
Years ago

Sudanese will represent Australian team in future

I have recently been to the South Sudanese tournament at Knox and was very impressed by what I saw there.I would think that by 2020 we will have Sudanese players in our olympic teams. They are just so athletic!

Topic #32319 | Report this topic

YouknowME  
Years ago

Its a lovely thought.. but how many feel any allegiance what so ever to Australia? How many will 'Thon Maker' us? I am not sure whether having a south-sudanese specific league is neccesarily good for Australian Basketball in the long run because it segregates the community from the wider community... but then again I understand its appeal to those people. If things go well, hopefully we have some of them on the Boomers even sooner... a big 'if'.... most immigrants could give 2 shits about Australia and the freedom the country affords them and would be just as happy to play for the US national team of the oppurtunity presented itself.

Reply #430975 | Report this post

hughj  
Years ago

YouknowMe you make some interesting points.
I would say that Dante Exum and Ben Simmons "give a shit". And I realize that they are not Sudanese.
But there ancestors would have come "Out Of Africa"

Reply #430976 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Everyone's ancestors came out of Africa.

Reply #430977 | Report this post

hughj  
Years ago

Nice one Isaac,my ancestors come from Europe, if all our ancestors came from Africa we would all be Black?

Reply #430978 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

I get so pissed off when I see people use Thon Maker's case to taint all Sudanese in Australia.

Ask someone like Majok Deng if he wants to play for Australia. A lot of those blokes do feel an allegiance to Australia.

Reply #430979 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Athleticism and the ability to dunk is one thing, footwork, defense, team structure, comprehension, vision, decision making and work ethic are also needed to play for your country.

I am sure we will see it in the future, we are seing it in AFL right now, this is only the beginning...

Reply #430980 | Report this post

hughj  
Years ago

Well said Bear. I would also put in commitment and economic position.I think in the short term Associations need to sponsor or part sponsor some of the more talented ones?

Reply #430982 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

You aren't going back far enough hughj

Reply #430984 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Not all Africans are black hughj.

Reply #430985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha, hughj.

Reply #430986 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

hughj, and before that? Every human has ancestry in Africa.

Reply #430990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac I guess that depends on your beliefs

Reply #430991 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Good point anon, because what you choose to believe has the ability to make anything true or false regardless of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Reply #430993 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

most immigrants could give 2 shits about Australia and the freedom the country affords

I agree, most immigrants are grateful for the chance to live here.

Reply #430995 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Nice one Isaac,my ancestors come from Europe, if all our ancestors came from Africa we would all be Black?

I don't think people are properly representing just how stupid that comment is.

Reply #431000 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

KET, I like the use of a capital B for Black, it really hammers the point home nicely.

Reply #431002 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

hughj's ancestors weren't Black, they were Racist.

Reply #431006 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Welcome to the "dipsh*ts commenting on things they don't understand" thread.

"Isaac I guess that depends on your beliefs"

So you don't believe in science? That's fine. The great thing about science is it is true, whether you believe in it or not.

"my ancestors come from Europe, if all our ancestors came from Africa we would all be Black"

Wow, someone didn't pay much attention in school. Derp.

Reply #431008 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

youknowme,
What evidence do you have that Thon maker does not want to represent Australia?
Is it going by your comment about him being named on american team at latest adidas nations? Ben simmons would of played for one the USA team if he wasent in Boomers squads.The teams were selected on where they played they attended high school.

Ater Majok was being looked after by the same guardian and didnt play Aus Junior teams and still went on to represent Australia.

I don;t think its fair judging thon just yet. Hes a 16 yr old kid who has had a troubled life and been given a wonderful opportunity. If his heart is for Aus like Mangok Mathiang then all the best for Australia basketball.

Reply #431009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where exactly is the Garden of Eden in Africa??

Reply #431011 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Where exactly is the Garden of Eden? - Fixed.

Reply #431012 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

daneo I am judging on him continuosly refusing chances to represent Australia at junior level. It would do his NBA prospects no harm at all to play in such a competition. I just think he doesnt care.

Reply #431013 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Africa is a real place.

Garden of Eden....not so much.

Reply #431014 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Isaac I guess that depends on your beliefs
Being pedantic here, but I don't know that someone's personal belief actually changes anything other than their own worldview. e.g., if your grandfather was (presumably) a human, you can believe they're actually a camel, but they will remain a human regardless.

The Out of Africa theory is very, very broadly supported (and fascinating). Do you have another personal theory?

Reply #431016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Archeological investigations continue to unearth new things which change our views on history. It is very very broadly supported at this time as that is what the current evidence supports.

However my understanding of potential sites for the Garden of Eden, the representation in the Bible of the start of Mankind is possibly Lebanon, Irag and Iran. All of these countries are more correctly lableed as being part of the continent of Asia and not Africa.

And for a curve ball the Mormons believe the Garden of Eden was in Missouri.

On a more serious note though Sudanese will not represent Australia. Australians will represent Australia but they may have a variety of heritages. I am a second generation Italian. If I played for Australia eventually would people have a forum saying Italians will play for Australia?

Reply #431017 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

1,Logisitcally I dont think its really that possible for him to play in national championships if he is based in the states. State teams require you attend training camps in the months leading to them. You think he would fly back to australia several times over 3 months for a training camp?

2, As mentioned before but he played in Junior nationals when he was based in Australia.

3, He didnt start playing basketball untill a few ago hence limiting him from other junior tournaments.

4, Who knows what communication and effort Basketball Australia has put in him to play in the national programme.

5, His guardian is more focused on his posopective High school and College career which would limit his National camp involvement.
No different to Ben simmons at recent nationals.

I dont think you will see now with Bolden off to US highschool his involvement with national camps may diminish.

Reply #431018 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

According to the bible, humans were "made" (out of dirt and ribs, mind you) 6,000 to 10,000 years ago. To believe any of that, is nonsense.

The bible provides no logical answers for the beginnings of life, so don't even look at it for those answers.

Reply #431019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that why that movie is called "Out of Africa"?

Reply #431020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cradle of Civilisation"

Reply #431021 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

My son believes in evolution : "It's on TV so it must be true." One time I saw that jellyfish came outta the water and we evolved from there.
Me. I believe in creation.
Adam given the devil reign , cause he sinned I got no choice, it run in my vein.

Reply #431022 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"in the Bible"

and all credibility ended with that statement.

Reply #431023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thankyou for your wise words of wisdom Speed44

Reply #431024 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Come on people. This thread was pretty functional till people started with the fairytales and bedtime stories!

Reply #431026 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Holy cow.......!!!!

Reply #431036 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Sorry, couldn't help myself. This thread has gone off topic a bit, no...?

1. Yes, we welcome Sudanese born Australians to play for their adopted country.

2. Yes, we welcome players of any cultural background or heritage to play for their adopted country.

Always have, always will, if they are good enough and want to play, no matter the sport.

Reply #431037 | Report this post

El Diablo  
Years ago

Hey Anon

Maybe you should ask jeebus if South Sudanese should play for Australia?

Reply #431040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One issue is this tendency to equate "Australian" with whiteness. That's still the view many, including those with African backgrounds, have. Such a view can be pretty alienating. That Australia has a long and rich Indigenous history, spanning long before the relatively recent advent of white settlement is, unfortunately, often overlooked.

Plus for all its issues Australia's multiculturalism is, in the main, fairly strong and successful by the standards of the world's Western democracies.

Reply #431043 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Ahh... we are gonna open cans of worms here!

I am cool with Multiculturalism, if there is an element of assimilation. But I dont think it does the country any good to have segregation in the way I have seen it.

What I am against? Multireligionism! (a new word)... lets face it, there is a certain religion which is completely incompatable by nature to democracy.... they take the saying "sticks and stones" a bit too serious because they are likely to kill you with them if you draw a picture of there sacred prophet whilst merrily insulting everyone else.

LOL Can of whoop ass... opened.

Multiculturalism can be a good thing however, I have friends of all sorts of nationalities... and I think its good for Basketball too... it is not just a generalisation that blacks are more athletic... its a fact

Reply #431045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whole lotta hot air blowing 'round in here...

Reply #431046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are confusing religion with criminal activity, mate!

Reply #431047 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

What a ridiculous thread

Reply #431048 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Anonymous:

Read the Quran... Mate
Watch Fitna... Mate
Educate yourself.... Mate
Crime and Islam are Synonymous

Mate

Reply #431049 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Anyways. Lets just close this thread its going in the wrong direction. Will Sudanese aussies represent the Boomers? Hopefully... lets move on

Reply #431050 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"Crime and Islam are Synonymous"

Um, what?

Reply #431051 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

We've turned a bball thread into one about creationism v evolution. Even Christians these days (at least in Aus) endorse evolution.

One issue is this tendency to equate "Australian" with whiteness.
I guess the old white Australia policy never helped the perception.
-----

Lets be honest here, whether you're a migrant or Australian born, if you had the chance to join the US Olympic/national team over the Australian Olympic/national, I think a significant majority would probably bail on Australia.

Reply #431054 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Happens a bit here.. The old religion argument. lol

Reply #431056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We don't own him. I think he has the right to do whatever he wants wherever he chooses, it is not illegal and does not adversely effect the rest of us so go for it.

Reply #431067 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

No we dont own him... But it would be nice to know his allegiances lay with a country that took him from living hell and gave him the opportunity to be in the position he is today, rather then chucking spears at wild boars for something to eat!

I'd just like him to say "yes in the future I would like to play for Australia".... Or... "No, the concept of thankfulness is foreign to me, I am going to naturalise american and play for them"... or "I am only interested in playing NBA".... All would be fine by me.

Reply #431068 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I am surprised no interviewer has asked whether he see's himself playing for the national team. OK, it is no 'adverse effect' on us... but having one of the most promising 7 foot 16 year old prodigys in the world wouldnt hurt now would it??

Reply #431069 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

The same people who would say, he can do what he wants would be the same people to say.. how dare andrew bogut be injured and not on the team

Reply #431070 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

YouknowME, can I make a suggestion? Save up all your money and go and see the world. Travel to Africa, meet the locals, get a job in a country where you've got Muslim colleagues, see the world from from someone else's perspective. You seem to be reaching a lot of conclusion about people you've never met from the comfort of your Australian lounge room, your life will be so much richer if you go and see how everyone else lives theirs.

Reply #431074 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

billo FTW!

Reply #431075 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

They eat wild boar?

Reply #431078 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

LOL. I don't know if they eat wild boar.

Fact of the matter is, these are generalizations and I never said "every muslim" this or "every sudanese" that. Fundamentalist muslims who live directly by the quran ARE a danger to the country.. Look at England, Look at Sweden, Look anywhere for that matter... this isnt about terror attacks.. this is about not being allowed to celebrate christmas at schools, this is about our own culture being subjugated.. this is about men raping women for wearing things that in OUR country we consider normal! does every one of them do it? no, but then again not every Nazi shot a jew either!

If I met the locals in africa.. I am sure I would be endeared to many, I am sure in many places it would go perfectly fine... I am also sure that if I made myself too obvious for too long I would face racism much more obvious then it exists in Australia and the chances of me being killed due to my color would be pretty high over time (ask the average white south african in Australia why they left... )

All in All... yes generalizations... but generalizations based on facts that do exist.

Reply #431079 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

This is a bit much now I think. Also fundamentalism in itself is bad, it's not limited to Islam, nor is Christianity void of fundamentalists.

Reply #431080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"fundamentalist" does not equal "radical" or "extremist" learn your vocabulary KET

Reply #431085 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

fundamentalist means those who live by the literal translation of the word. The Quran is not just a religious text, it is a political ideology. Moderate Muslims have to stretch the words of the Quran out of all context to reach any kind of 'peaceful' interpretation of it. Many do this, Many are Muslim due to family tradition but live a very moderate version, but they are no more Muslim then the average Australian is Christian for celebrating Christmas. It was a book written by a warlord for times of war... there is nothing peaceful about it. When people call it "the religion of peace"... they may as well have called the blueprint for Pearl Harbor "the plan of salvation".

Fundamentalists is the word. Those who don't think Islam in Australia is a danger need to educate themselves more on the subject... Despite whether they have had the good fortune to meet some of the moderate ones.

Reply #431086 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

this is about not being allowed to celebrate christmas at schools
No, it's not. Complete opposite almost.

Reply #431087 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Did you know that Australian flags and the Australian anthem is banned in Muslim schools in Australia and that teachers have been fired for trying to teach Australian history and values there.... lol. Dont tell me they dont consider us the enemy!

Reply #431088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a teacher in a school anywhere in this country was fired for teaching Australian history or values I would imagine there would be a fair case of false dismissal to answer.

This is why I am not religious. What about talking about basketball?

Reply #431090 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"fundamentalist" does not equal "radical" or "extremist" learn your vocabulary KET

I said exactly what I meant. Learn to interpret, anon, or you'll make yourself look like a fool again albeit not under a proper alias.

Did you know that Australian flags and the Australian anthem is banned in Muslim schools in Australia and that teachers have been fired for trying to teach Australian history and values there....

Really you just have an ignorant view of things sparked by fear of something that is different. It doesn't mean it's not compatible with Aus society, the many Muslims who fit in without trouble in Australia is proof of that.

I don't really remember ever hearing the Australian anthem at school anyway or seeing the flag around much at all. Our anthem is pretty average anyway. Australian history in itself is compulsory for 6 months (I think). IMO it's pretty damn boring history as well apart from our war stuff (which isn't actually taught in Aus History if I remember correctly - been a while now).

Reply #431097 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

KET.... actually look into it.

Reply #431098 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

If you look at whats happened in France, England, Sweden... there are full suburbs in England where police wont even go... Muslim suburbs which are so dangerous as to be little different from somewhere like Afghanistan. It will happen here..

Reply #431099 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

into what in particular?

Reply #431100 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Into Muslim migrations effects on western democracies if you need it so blatantly spelled out for you.

Reply #431101 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Don't worry, its all 'ignorance'.

but I bet if the planned attack on the Footy Grand Final actually was successful people would be singing a different tune!

Add insult to injury they know want prayer rooms at footy games!

Reply #431102 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Isaac, about now is the time I would really like an 'ignore user' option.

And people sometimes wonder why Australians get stereotyped as intolerant and narrow minded. It only takes one.

Reply #431114 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Well you are being 'intolerant' of my view... which I have a right to have

Either way, lets close this conversation. Who cares about this shit? Back to Basketball

Reply #431116 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

XY, the whole site just got this ignore user option.

YouknowME, I think Hoops might take a break from you for a while. Please stay away and think about what you're saying.

Reply #431125 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Didn't want to really add to this thread. But I think its important to point this out.

Youknowme, you should avoid any crude categorization or homogenization of religious belief systems and civilizations. Muslim communities and nations hold a great diversity of interpretations of Islam, and have very varied historical responses and paths towards modernization.

Christian radicalism is also a prevalent issue. Unfortunately, the media of the day gravitate to instances of islamic radicalism much more.

The guy who killed those people in Norway described himself as a "christian crusader". The K.K.K. have a Protestant base.
Not to mention what so called "Christian" rulers of the medieval time period did to certain people.

Radicalism exists everywhere -- some more than others. But everywhere nonetheless. Studying at university, I even came across a radical buddhist group in Asia that had some particularly violent methods of sorting stuff out.

Reply #431136 | Report this post

rhea 86  
Years ago

i noticed hughj kept out of the conversation after jumping on his high horse and backing it up with some uneducated comments. maybe he should do some reading first before he make's comments. by the way Dante Exum and Ben Simmons where born in Australia making them Australian, or was this just him making racist implications that all non white people should be thought of as the same other than individual people.

Reply #431143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@YouknowME, I don't know you! More to the point, you don't know you.

Reply #431144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A public forum for the sharing of opinions and thoughts. Whether you agree with or believe Youknowme's comments, pretty poor form to ask him to stay away and have a think about his comments. Would it be considered racist or wrong if i put together the White Anglo Saxon Basketball League?

As the saying goes, opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one, some just smell more than others.

Reply #431145 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Because a statement like "Crime and Islam are Synonymous" goes beyond an opinion.

It's religious vilification.

Reply #431146 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Hopefully Thon Maker does end up playing for Australia but time will tell. From an NBL point of view looking forward to seeing Mathiang Muo play for the wildcats

Reply #431148 | Report this post

hughj  
Years ago

rhea88 - I am aware that Dante Exum and Ben Simmons were born in Australia.Their fathers came from America to play for Melb/tigers.Their family tree would trace back to Africa.I am amazed how the thread has turned into a racist rant when I simply said that I thought(and I believe it)that the Sudanese would in the near future represent Australia(as Autralians) - I am looking forward to that day.We already have had numerous different ethnic players represent Australia.

Reply #431149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty Pathetic to drag religion and race into a basketball topic.

Reply #431191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamentalism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_religion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremism

Reply #431269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wikipedia = skynet :-)

Reply #431280 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:31 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754