Jack Toft
Years ago

CABL Grand Final

Women: Norwood v North
The Bookies weren't taking bets at the start of the season on Norwood making the GF. Up until about a month or so ago, four teams were vying for the priviledge to play them in it. But North have soared above the pack and rightly deserve their spot after some well played games and cunning coaching from the big bad wolf. Both coaches now have to work out the best plan to overcome the other and will be busier than an Essendon integrity sub-committee at a free lunch. No wonder Norwood didn’t turn up to the MVP dinner, they were too busy trolling through videos of the Rockettes looking for chinks in their armour.

Don’t know when it was when a team went through a complete season with a clean scorecard, but I think it’s pretty safe to say that you might need to go back a few seasons.

I think we are in for one helluva GF. North have been closest to the Lady Flames all season and the pressure of finals can crack even the most seasoned tough nut. Norwood averaged 82:48 for the season, but North games went 68:56. If the Rockettes can hold the Sabres to 8 points over two quarters, could they do the same to the Flames? They have great form going into this GF, had a 38 point turnaround against Sturt and sometimes a rest the week before the GF can upset the mental preparation of some teams.

Foley and Hill are the obvious ones to watch and a game like this is crying out for a young player from either team to play out of their skin and steal the grand final with some desperate rebounding or gallant shooting outside the arc. However, you can’t deny how the Flames have played this season and despite the very best efforts of the Rockettes, the Lady Flames winning the flag is about as certain as the offer of tax cuts and more money in an election campaign.

Men: West v Forestville
Well, what an interesting finals season it has been in the men’s side resulting in all western derby - I assume Forestville still consider themselves western suburbs? Who will those Woodville supporters barrack for tonight? It’s like picking a side in the Syria conflict. West have dominated the men’s side all season and Forestville’s apples have ripened at the right time opening up what should be a delicious entrée for the upcoming NBL season. DJ in fine form was recognised for that on Sunday night, but both teams can score points as freely as Adam Gilchrist facing a slow spinner with a short boundary in a 20:20.

I think the secret to winning this game is the opening quarter. I don’t think we’ll see any running down the shot clock fluffing around the top of the key in this game. It’ll be played a bit like "ugly people sex" - you need to make each opportunity to score count so it’s frantic and can get a bit messy, with arms and legs in all directions.

There’s nothing in this one with my score predictor leaning towards West by a margin thinner than the duco paint on a cheap car. West would be a bit fresher after only one game in the season and plenty of team bonding (please tell me there was a spa involved), Forestville have suited up each week of the finals series and after 22 weeks those little aches get a bit worse with each bump. Toughen up princess, there’s a flag to win and I think Forestville will be the one with the scissors cutting down the nets after 40 mins....probably plus a bit more…

Topic #32500 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who from the Eagles can go with Johnson? Does Mottram get first crack?

Reply #434173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to all teams .. All are worthy winners
In answer to the previous post Motts will take Johnson in the post but he won't chase him to the 3 point line, he will be passed on to a perimeter defender and eagles will live or die by those adjustments bearing in mind you still have Truslove posting up.. Rotations become critical and pressure on the passer and denying the receiver will determine the outcome of this game. For Eagles those rotations will be the game decider right there especially if they cannot unleash an offensive avalanche like they did against woodville

Reply #434284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ps jack Forestville is marginally off due south and at no time consider themselves westerners Ha

Reply #434287 | Report this post

Nike  
Years ago

Referees for the Grand Finals are:

Women - Michelle Dyson & Nathan Wieland
Men - Nathan Durant & Andy Filmer

Good luck to all

Reply #434289 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"No time consider themselves westerners" What does WTBC stand for?

Reply #434292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasted Talent Basketball Club ?

Reply #434294 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

where are the finals being played and when?

Powerhouse (Adelaide Arena?)

Reply #434295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah Jack would have though WTBC as in West Torrens Basketball Club would place the club firmly West of the Torrens.

Reply #434296 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

A good read again Jack.

I am so glad to be back to sunny skies after my Northern hemisphere romp (not!)

Beer is very cheap in Madrid but I could not find a Coopers......

Good luck to the Grand Finalists, ... and to the Officials in charge - may your presence not be noted!

Reply #434297 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Adelaide Arena, Findon.

Ladies @ 6:15 pm
Gentlemen @ 8:15 pm

Reply #434299 | Report this post

Years ago

To anon 434296. Jack is referring to the early days of the Eagles as the West Torrens Eagles. Take a look at the Forestville warm up shirt and you'll see the letters WTBC. Like most successful westerners who move on to bigger things we never forget where we came from.

Reply #434304 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

1952, well put!

Reply #434352 | Report this post

Years ago

Wins to the Flames Women and Eagles men. Wel done both teams

Reply #434459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood women complete the faultless season.

Forestville men take out the men by 8 points, with Gibson playing a huge role in getting them over the line. Once again the feagles mid season dealings win them a title.

And like so many facebook memes: "brace yourselves, the west adelaide got screwed by the refs posts are coming"

Reply #434460 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Reply #434461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulations to Forestville Eagles, their last quarter when the game was there to be won was superb. Gerlach's 3 to ice the game and Mottram grabbing all the boards in the last was outstanding. Congratulations to Gibbo for MVP, a quality game, some of his shots off the dribble showing his class

Reply #434479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From a an impartial viewpoint both games were very good. North made a game of it and pushed Norwood hard, and although Norwood won and won by the margin everyone expected, North were very valiant in defeat.

Men's game was good and Forestville peaked at the right time again. May not warm to Simons but you have to give him coaching kudos's he has his players right for the big game and sparingly played his bigs in some games did enough to position them in the top three and then played the finals very well. Gibson would arguably be the icing on the cake but I feel that the Fleagles would have won either way as they didn't falter and always found like Norwood in the previous game scoring options. they like Norwood were a multi prong scoring team. Too many options for West to shut down and West were forcing their offence. they surely missed Patrick Thomas with him there it may have been a different story.

Reply #434483 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Thomas being there would have made no difference.

Reply #434484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes agreed West were over focused on getting the ball into Johnsons hands even when he was out of position and didn't have a good seal. They needed to use their offences to free him up. When he had the ball there was 2 eagles all over him, he was well protected by the referees and a few calls for him were dubious. When the double team came there is always someone free but West failed to locate that man and make the Eagles pay.

Reply #434492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thomas was a big out and doesn't get credit he deserves.

Best defensive player in league irrespective of who gets it on Woollacott day or night or whenever the hell they have it.

Reply #434493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Gerlach was a deserved winner of best defensive player

Reply #434494 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

A couple of great games to finish off the season

Reply #434495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol

They play zone all year

Reply #434498 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Great win y Feagles/WTBC

Nice starting 5 ,heaps of juniors

One would think 2 Boomers( current and past), one import, one ex NBL and last years MVP playing the bulk minutes ,would be enough

All the bench full of juniors would have loved watching all 40 minutes

Good recruiting

Reply #434507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was also an impartial viewer and really enjoyed both games. Men's game superb...Gibbo clearly dominated and his international experience shone through. The atmosphere was fantastic for both games, lots of drumming and cheering. Only negative was the Norwood cheer squad counting down the shot clock early when North had possession causing them to shoot earlier in their offence than need be. They adjusted quickly but thought it was unnecessary considering the strength of the Norwood team. Besides that a great night for basketball.

Reply #434508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened about BSA and the security mob putting out an instruction for no drums etc. perhaps in the future other clubs ignore the rules

Reply #434510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'd have to say the Norwood boys and their drum made for a great atmosphere!

Reply #434511 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Come on Anonymous 434508 + 534510, get a grip. Take away the drumming from the Norwood cheer squad and from the West cheer squad and the game has absolutely no atmosphere whatsoever.

You're going to seriously have a whinge about counting down a shot clock inaccurately? The North girls should have a had the awareness to adjust accordingly. Again, what a great atmosphere that group created.

Reply #434514 | Report this post

SamJ  
Years ago

Credit to the Eagles. Pay the big bucks and you win a title. They need to learn how to develop and keep juniors

Reply #434516 | Report this post

t  
Years ago

Counting the clock down early is an old.trick

Reply #434517 | Report this post

@  
Years ago

What about the bloke with the tuba!

Reply #434518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AK-47 - I didn't say anything about taking away the drums, in fact I said it added to the atmosphere. Clapping, cheering, stamping your feet, being loud; all fantastic, I was merely stating that shouting out the shot clock inaccurately was unnecessary in the scheme of things (i.e. Norwood were the classiest team all year and were most likely to win). I for one am glad the drums were allowed in. On another note, a comment/observation on one aspect is not a whinge, I did highlight that it was a great night for basketball overall.

Reply #434519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey SamJ you could pay the big bucks and not win a title ...like West

Reply #434522 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

so over bought championships bank roll to victory - does nothing to promote the game blow ins and rich just keep buying - credit to north and west against the cheque book odds

Reply #434523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes well done North and West Congratulations on playing so well against star studded dream teams Ha ha

Reply #434525 | Report this post

Phobos 17  
Years ago

SamJ - bitter much? and wrong too.

Reply #434526 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

samj on the mark - super 7 hit the court how many were actually developed by eagles - must be great to follow the revolving door to success.
gibson and co - bring great value to the game and if they contribute to success then thats clever management but be great to see some juniors involved - who can claim to be through it all - big CN his passion is great why couldnt he hit the court and give faithful the chnce to roar.

Reply #434530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You do know CN actually started playing at another club and isn't really a club junior don't you???

Reply #434536 | Report this post

pg  
Years ago

Charles with his 3rd ring could he end up winning more than mj?

Reply #434562 | Report this post

3peat..  
Years ago

3peat baby....81-73...................

Nothing more needs to be said.............

Reply #434605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Charles couldn't be happier.. Hes come on so far this year it's a credit to him..leading scorerer in U23s and was the glue to hold the CABL Team together for half the year.
He is what a true clubman is all about, and is an inspiration to all around him

Reply #434626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West,a good team all season, just out played and out coached on the night, well done Forestville.

Reply #434716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

even though it hurts to admit it, have to agree with the above

Reply #434730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West coach been out-coached in a couple of grand finals now.

Reply #434766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If recruiting Gibbo mid season, relying on international games awarded to qualify him for finals is out coaching, then you're right.

Reply #434774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just curious about whether there is a salary cap in ABL and how much is it if there is one?

Reply #434776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is and I believe its 15k for the mens and womens team inclusive. The split no more than 60/40.
Totally unpoliced though so what is the point in having it?

Reply #434779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i find it ironic that I believe Paul Bell is Adam Gibson's agent so placing Gibson in at Forestville could have been his doing.....

and west didn't bring in Reeves from Woodville, and have TWO NBL players.......

Reply #434780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Compared to 3 NBL players, 1 of which is an Olympian, one was a Boomers player and throw in an import.

Reply #434786 | Report this post

Lol  
Years ago

It is obvious that both clubs are more interested spending all their time and money on their senior mens teams.

Look at how abd their junior boys programs are going!

Reply #434798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have thought that F/ville would be complying with the cap as imports can't get paid and only had Gibson for a handful of games but I can't see how West are complying given having both Cadee and Johnson and they played more games.

Reply #434802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson didn't get a cent for playing - fact

Reply #434803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL sure. He was given free apples?

Reply #434806 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Ahhh that old chestnut...he worked behind the bar for a couple of hours did he??? ;)

Reply #434808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Andy handed over some of his own personal coaching fees which may have been increased coincidentally by the amount passed onto Gibson. Who knows the truth but if anyone saw Gibson going up to the bar and picking up an envelope can you let us know!!!

Reply #434812 | Report this post

3peat..  
Years ago

Maybe Gibbo just played coz he wanted to play in preparation for NBL..

Reply #434818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West had 3 NBL or ex NBL with Cadee, Johnson & Truslove

Reply #434823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw Andy and Todd loading a colour TV into gibbos car after the grand final .. It was dark and I could barely see the brand or the size but it looked very suspicious and now you've raised the issue it all makes sense.. I hope it was digital as I didn't see a set top box.. His Masters Voice was written on the box I think

Reply #434824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

read between the lines all

same ol - coach recruits star and all of a sudden opposition team is out coached. give us a break , propaganda by winning coach

will agree clearly gibbo was a cut above above the rest but nothing to do with coaching

maybe a coup getting gibbo - but gibbo playing for the team coz andy is coaching is like cadee playing for bell and the team ... not likely ... these boys play for money not club culture

no differernt to foley lewis duke keane all playing for nicks because they absolutely love the flames and playng for the COTY yeah right

Reply #434826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like a lot of jealousy here because the good players get a few dollars .. Big deal its not an issue
They play for their personal development at this level and not for the $s. they are professional athletes and earn their money elsewhere. Gibbo had a ball this season with this group, and hopefully has refreshed his outlook and has him ready for the hard NBL season ahead. In a few years time Brad Newley and Joe Ingles will be coming home so wow .. lots to talk about then because they don't play for under $500k but Brad will be playing for Eagles and Joe For southern so how can these clubs raise $500k???
On another note Andy and Paul both coached well, my only criticism of Paul they went to DJ everytime in the second half and it was obvious the double team was set so switch the ball and get DJ moving on to the ball to avoid the double team
If West and Forestville have the motivation to put finals winning teams on the floor don't knock it as it grows our competition and the juniors that trained with them learn from the best and will reap the reward in the future

Reply #434829 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

West not deep enough - they did miss Thomas on both ends. Their bench shot 15% from the field (3/20) and most of those were far more open than any of Johnson's or Cadee's looks. If they got that up to even 40% they probably win the game. Forestville basically forced the West role players to win the game and no one other than Truslove and Pearce had any impact.

I'm surprised West didn't play a bit smaller at times when Oakley or Mottram went out especially with Reeves/Rankin/Knight struggling to cause any problems for the zone. Although with Thomas out the options were limited.

And of course as has been implied earlier:
Gibson >> Cadee
The most disappointing thing about Cadee's game was that he was not very active when he didn't have the ball in his hands. On the other hand Gibson was a threat at all times (with or without the ball) and on both ends of the floor.

Reply #434830 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

All this talk is interesting, but now the season is over, the big question is how all the Mad Monday celebrations went. How many jugs were skulled and how many dwarfs were set alight?

Reply #434831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

? what did Spud do Paul to anchor him to the bench for most of the night? bleeds black and red and didn't get the court time he deserved.

Reply #434832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bell outcoached by Simons this year.
Bell outcoached by Butler in GF previously.

Reply #434842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard bell wasn't out coached but was blaming Durant for the lose. Bell looking at everyone else but himself I think!!!

Reply #435110 | Report this post

3peat..  
Years ago

I think DJ being fouled 13 times meant Durant did his job..

Reply #435126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3peat, what do you mean when you say he was fouled 13 times, Durant's calls what did they achieve, no basket opportunities? was he fouled off?

Reply #435172 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:45 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754