Ervin!!

Reply #442244 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Isn't Crawford still highly paid?

Reply #442245 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Out of the locals reckon Ogilvy, Worthington, Gibson, Abercrombie, Knight, D Martin. For the imports Ennis would be highest then probably Ervin. After that a bit of a lottery.

Reply #442247 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I'd be interested on how much Steven Dennis was getting paid and if his salary next year is higher that this season and of course if Ubaka is getting paid less or the same

Reply #442258 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

My guess for each team,
Adel: Ervin
Cairns: Wilson
Melb: Worthington
NZ:Abercrombie or Johnson
Perth: Ennis
Syd: Ogilvy
Tow: pace or Conklin with PC close behind
Wool: Clarke

Ennis highest paid overall and Ogilvy highest paid local

Reply #442259 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Vukona wouldn't be on pennies and would be one player a lot of teams would like to have?

Reply #442264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vukona is past his best... He is good but never did get to that next level. Define pennies and we can talk again...

Reply #442265 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

A lot of the above are guesses. The best players don't always have the biggest salaries.

For Adelaide DJ and Schenscher I would assume are the highest paid. Ervin may make more but I doubt it, doubt they had much left over after paying them two.

DJ's contract really makes it hard to do too much with the roster unfortunately.

Reply #442267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes DJ's contract stops us signing a former league MVP, EX NBA centre, 2 current boomers and an ex Kiwi international. Crippling stuff

Reply #442268 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Vukona is past his best... He is good but never did get to that next level. Define pennies and we can talk again...

:facepalm:

Reply #442269 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Would Ennis be on $180-200k or is that too high?

Reply #442270 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

So with DJ, Schenscher and Gibbo's rather large contracts, plus Creek and Petrie re-signing most likely not for chump change, there's still no question that they had enough money to pay for Ervin legitimately? Hmmm...

Reply #442272 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When I heard Gibbo's price a few years back (when Adelaide were going for but didn't get him) it wasn't unreasonable at all. Petrie I've understood to be more about job security than money. I think Ervin, Schenscher and DJ would be the highest. Weigh would've been on a bit (escalating contract) so that freed up some.

I wondered if Tragardh might be on more than Wilson in Cairns. He was probably a bit of a bargain in Wollongong, but cashed in with Melbourne and I don't know if he would've taken a step back in moving North, even if he is originally a QLDer.

In Townsville, I would guess PC as top. Doubt the imports are above him. Markovic may even be ahead of one or both.

Ogilvy in Sydney probably up there.

A lot of the rest could be more even than people think.

Reply #442275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Vukona is past his best"

I guess that would explain him having his best ever scoring year and second best rebounding year so far. Facepalm x2.

Reply #442276 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Some market place ball parks

Import 1 120-140k
Import 2 60-80k
9th 10th men 40-45k
Elite Aussie up to 130k
Starter 80- 100k
Bench 60-80k

Strategy varies dependent on how much of the cap is spent.

Reply #442277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spending on second import has changed a little this year, more teams have gone for two top level imports (NZ, Perth, Cairns, Wollongong, Adelaide), not saying all those guys are on huge money, but less on the role player cash than we have seen over the past 15 years.

Reply #442278 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

Nice swipe anon, but for what we get out of DJ it does cripple us a bit. He is not with what he is paid (far from it, Marty overpaid by a fair bit). That leaves us with less money to upgrade our Australian talent or even to make that second import spot even stronger (I love frye's game, but still the roster is missing three point shooting and he doesn't bring that).

Reply #442279 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Lots of people are confusing "best" player with "highest paid".

On a separate note: All of Townsville's contracts were void and renegotiated after the restructure. PC's old contract was an albatross but I doubt they repeated that mistake. Who really knows though.

Reply #442281 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I know in the old days clubs use to throw in cars and even blocks of land outside of the salary cap but that was many moons ago.

Reply #442283 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

TV's and groceries?

Reply #442287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Ennis paid by Miami? (And Perth pay a fee to Miami?)

Reply #442288 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Deleon was on a reported 65k , Ervin not much more 1st year in.
An impact level import can be had for low money.

Reply #442289 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Ennis does not have a contract with Miami.

Reply #442291 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I suppose it all comes down to who we think is rorting the salary cap?

Reply #442293 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That Deleon salary was in his first year, it's worth mentioning.

Reply #442295 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I wonder what Bendigo would be paying there imports in the SEABL as they would be paying top dollar.

Reply #442297 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's all about supply and demand.

If someone has a number of clubs after them their price generally goes up. Alternatively you can get a very good player for a bargain if they just had another deal fall through, they are coming off a bad season, they want a change from Europe, or it's their first time out of the US.

The financial troubles in Europe and the US have helped us get some really good imports recently, and this year the quality hasnt gone up but the quantity of good players seems to have.

Reply #442301 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

Here is my rough estimate at how the Wildcats would split up the $1million.
Knight: $140,000
Redhage: $150,000
Ennis: $190,000
Beal: $116,000
Martin: $130,000
Burdon: $38,000
U'u: $38,000
Hire: $70,000
Wagstaff: $90,000
Jervis: $38,000

Reply #442321 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Mark's post looks pretty close to what I'd have the Wildcats at.

Maybe Redhage's new contract not at lucrative as his old contract though? Remember he usually, except when out injured, will play in Puerto Rico in the off season which would give him a nice bump in annual salary.

Reply #442326 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Martin would be on $150k plus. He would be the second highest paid behind Ennis

Reply #442327 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Mark's post sounds about right imo. You can fit them in if you have 3 guys (Jervis,u'u and Burdon on minimum salary). Redhage could be on less and maybe Knight is on a bit more

Reply #442329 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

What are people basing Damian Martin being on big money around?

He reportedly took a less than market value when he re-signed before the 2011/12 season to allow the team to re-sign Wagstaff.

Knight: $135,000
Redhage: $135,000
Ennis: $180,000
Beal: $110,000
Martin: $110,000
Burdon: $38,000
U'u: $38,000
Hire: $100,000
Wagstaff: $116,000
Jervis: $38,000

Something like the above wouldn't be out of the realms of possibility.

Reply #442349 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

probably basing their guesses on the fact that he pretty much permanently owns the defensive player of the year award and is highly rated around the league by players and coaches and backs that up on the court with pretty consistent performances week in week out?

Reply #442355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do people think the breakdown of teams such as Cairns, Hawks, Townsville are? Maybe some local guys to those teams can do a breakdown like Mark and Silencer have done?

Reply #442360 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

That is fair enough Mystro but the contract was signed 3 seasons ago when he had only won 1 defensive player award, was more concerned about being loyal to Bevo and as I said took less money so that the Wildcats could retain Wagstaff. There is no way he is being paid more than James Ennis, Matt Knight and Shawn Redhage.

Reply #442361 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Unless we are completely taking the piss out of the salary cap.

Which I won't deny is possible.

Reply #442362 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

At the time a few teams were interested in Martin and balked when they found out what he was after. He was a Boomer at the time as well. I doubt Redhage or Knight would be on more.

Reply #442363 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

36ers would be
DJ 120k
Petrie 100k
Frye 90k
Gibbo 130k
Ervin 200k
Schenscer 130k
BJ 60k
Creek 90k
Teys 38k
Cadee 80k

The reason I think Frye would have the lower salary is the pretty below average league he played in before the NBL.

Reply #442373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think Ervin is that high, but who knows?

Reply #442379 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

Swap Ervin and DJ's numbers moneyballer and you're closer to reality.

Reply #442383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For a start, nbl minimum is 42k. Open source fact.
Dev players (which most teams have may receive a small base but must receive a match payment of 42k/28 games. Cars, relocation, accom, super, etc are included in cap.
Perth outside. NZ outside. Adelaide outside. Melb outside. Cairns & Syd on the money. Ging & Townsville way under.

Reply #442391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone tell me when contracts are paid for example Oct to May? The minimum of around 40k doesn't sound like much but isn't too bad if for 6 months

Reply #442393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ 130, Luke 140, Gibbo 150.

Reply #442407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$40K or so is on a yearly basis so therefore prorated across and NBL season. Some teams now contract their players over the full year. Not many however.

Reply #442409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players are training and doing promos for most months of the year so that suggests there is some contract in place. I recall the Blaze players being contracted until June 30.

Reply #442410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A semi professional league masquerading as a professional league.

Reply #442413 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"Perth outside. NZ outside. Adelaide outside. Melb outside. Cairns & Syd on the money. Ging & Townsville way under."

This website is so lucky that the NBL auditor visits here and is happy to disclose such information.

Reply #442414 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

The auditor would of had a field day in the 80's and 90's.....

Reply #442416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Biggest rorting was in the second half of the 2000s.

Reply #442417 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Players are often contracted until the end of the financial year, but usually their availability in the offseason is flexible or negotiated. e.g., they can play in another league, go on holiday, etc. Some players start training earlier than others. A more stubborn or in-demand player can probably get away with negotiating a later training start.

Reply #442419 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@2417,

And funnily enough, was carried out by a lot the teams whose supporters are now pointing fingers :)

Reply #442422 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:23 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754