Trey
Years ago

Damian Martin's block and save

As a lover of basketball, NBA junkie for 22 years, been to probably 200 Sixer games I have something to confess.
That block from Martin, then the dive to save the ball was the greatest individual play I have ever seen. Imagine LeBron doing that play? It would be etched in history.
My mate said on the way home from the game "great players would've been happy and stopped after the block, but Martin is all heart, to chase down that ball and keep it inbounds was amazing".
Hats off to Perth, Ennis was quiet tonight yet they nearly escaped with the W.
happy the Sixers got the win. The 36ers are for real this year, 8-2 and we have travelled to perth, nz twice, melb, cairns and hosted perth, melb. Hopefully Perth Sixers GF.
Also ate the best burger of my life on the way home, it's a burger bar at the bay called Relishd. Get the lamb yiros hamburger for $11.90

OMFG

Topic #33183 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it will be an Adelaide v Perth Grand Final

Reply #446478 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Trey,

Well said fellow Hoops nut. With comments like that, It's awesome to see an opposition fans objective view of the game. More 36er fans should read your comments & think for a second.
Some of the 36ers fans comments on the Wildcats Facebook page are ridiculous.
One calling Wildcats fans "F**kwits" to think we'd win the championship after a 10pt quarter". After I'd explained that if the Cats has scored a 20 something quarter like the rest of the game they'd had won, said "F**kwit" deletes his comments.

Lets hope it's our 2 teams come grand final series.

Reply #446479 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

PS: Being in Perth, a bit too far for me to try that burger ;-)

Reply #446480 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Without referring to stats, can anyone make a case for there being a better burger in Australia right now?

Reply #446484 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That play was amazing.

Reply #446486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was amazing. Stuff like that is simple awesome to see. Best play I have ever seen, and he is quickly becoming my favourite player to watch.

Reply #446491 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

He'd be an annoying guy to have guarding you, but he is an amazing player to watch.

Reply #446497 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Haha. My nightmare would be to receive an inbounds pass from the baseline and look up to see Martin guarding me fullcourt!

Reply #446498 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Incredible play!

Reply #446504 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Yep, that's better than anything I've seen Ennis do all year. Quite possibly the best play I've ever seen in the NBL.

Reply #446506 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Martin is the best I've seen in the NBL (or anywhere really) at executing the chase-down block. Awesome timing and leaping ability.

Reply #446508 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Easily the greatest play so far this year. As for Burgers, Relish'd is ok, but I had Nordburger in Norword for the first time yesterday and it is well out ahead.

Reply #446509 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Huge play, but should the save been called out of bounds. Don't get me wrong I'm glad the refs let this one through but he only got one foot inside the court before saving the ball. Massive play though. As others have said I bet Martin gives young point guards coming into the league nightmares.

Reply #446512 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

His timing on the chase-down block is just sublime, has exquisite control on his pace on approach to get in just the right spot to execute. Love the stuffing out of that guy.

Reply #446519 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I'm in awe of Damon after his start to the season. That play just personifies his passion and consummate professionalism.

Dark horse MVP candidate?

Reply #446522 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Agree with Flinders80.
Great block, incredible effort, but at the time I also didn't think he had legally saved it in bounds. I'll take it I guess because it is nice when spectacular plays come off, but I'd have been spewing if I were Joey Wright.

Reply #446532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was in the air when he saved the ball, wasn't he?

http://youtu.be/ceN1aVd7dPM

Reply #446534 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Awesome play.

Chance at MVP = 0

Reply #446535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great block - but then out of bounds on the save. Need to ground your feet back in court before touching the ball if you've gone out.

I suppose a bit like when a guy does an awesome dunk, but travelled - refs turn a blind eye to it.

Reply #446537 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Incredible play. Was also huge in the context of the game and did give Perth a real shot at it.

Skip I have to agree Nord Burger is awesome, gotta love their salted caramel milkshake as well.

Reply #446539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I can make of the grainy vision, it appeared as if he took his last step off of his right foot, which looked in. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that legal?

Reply #446541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

both feet should come back onto the court before touching the ball. great play though! best in the league at those chase down blocks!

Reply #446542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should of ben an adelaide ball great effort though

Reply #446548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both feet don't have to be on the court, you just have to establish yourself as in bounds: Damo did that with his right foot (assuming it wasn't on the baseline).

Just like when taking the ball out of bounds after a score: you don't need both feet out, just one foot out of bounds and the other not touching the floor.

Reply #446551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was out of bounds but it looked awesome

Reply #446556 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

As a avid 36ers member , I still appreciate the top players and what he did as it was right near me was amazing. The guy is all heart and never gives up nor whines to the refs. Really hoping for a 36ers vs Wildcats match up as I cant stand Redhage ( good player ) but cant stand him and would love the rivalry the 2 clubs had in the 80s to be once more.

Reply #446561 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Imagine if we had super slow-mo footage of it...

Reply #446565 | Report this post

peterjohn  
Years ago

i thought he wS out of bounds when it happened, but the replay last night learly showed his right foot well in court when he took off to tap it back. i was checking 'cos first impression was out of bounds. FIBA rules suggest that makes it okay but i leave that to refs to interpret.

Great play in good game. loving this NBL season.

Reply #446569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

martin is a great player. i generally dont like the wildcats in this era but....give credit where credit is due, he is a tough defender and pretty awesome to watch.

whereas ennis is good but a show pony.

Reply #446579 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Can anyone tell us at what stage of the game it happened, or upload a video of it?

Reply #446585 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

There was one great play last night for cairns when Burston stole the ball off someone at ankle height then Gliddon dove from about 5 metres away to get the ball, flicked it up for a McCamey layin. It envoked similar feelings to the Martin play.

Reply #446588 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That was a great play, as was Burston's block on Clarke (I think?) where he just ripped it out of his hands!

Reply #446590 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Reply #446593 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

If Damo holds up the championship this season, could we have our first bronzed statue in front of Perth Arena?

He would deserve it and gives the stadium a real sense of basketball being played at the venue

Reply #446615 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

What, do we start another thread for Damo's new play of the season contender?

Reply #446675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dat man crush

Reply #446817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one here wants to say, but with all that hussle and grit...

He looks beautiful.

He's not your sweaty and hairy ugly as sin workhorse one percenter. The guy looks like a model while he's doing it.

Reply #446893 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Did more for his highlight reel in one weekend with determination and grit than some showponies who have come to this league have managed in a whole season.

Reply #446901 | Report this post

westy  
Years ago

just saw this vid. its plays like that that define a guy, awesome skill is one thing, heart to go with it make him something else! more admirable than the show pony highly skilled imports IMO

Reply #479256 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:07 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754