Joshuapending
Years ago

Dante Exum makes it official, nominates for NBA draft

Well the obvious is now official but Dante has declared for the NBA http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/10363177/dante-exum-declares-2014-nba-draft hopefully he goes to a team with a nice fit.

Topic #33586 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rob Pelinka - big time agent!!!

Reply #454605 | Report this post

Some_Fulla  
Years ago

He will get dunked on!!

Reply #454606 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

I'm so proud of you mate. All those years of hard work are about to pay off. No one deserves this more than you and your family. Not long now mate and you'll be teaching those yanks a thing or two about this game. Can't wait.

Reply #454611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there much advantage in being a high lottery pick over a lower lottery pick? There must be a downside in higher expectations for those selected top 3 or so.

Reply #454615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did he pass the Exam?

Reply #454617 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Only advantage with a high lottery pick is better $$$.

Reply #454620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good decision Cecil will keep his head screwed on

Reply #454621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What will happen if dante gets dunked on in the nba? Lawyers??

Reply #454622 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is there much advantage in being a high lottery pick over a lower lottery pick? There must be a downside in higher expectations for those selected top 3 or so.
Guaranteed salary that is higher for the top picks, e.g., $4-5m for first pick, $2m for 10th, sub-$1m for 30th.

More here

Second round not guaranteed a contract AFAIK.

Reply #454623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he and his agent know something we all don't ;-)

Reply #454626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please change the heading to "Exum"

Reply #454627 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

Meet Dante Exum, the Mystery Man Who May Blow Up the 2014 NBA Draft

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1939363-meet-dante-exum-the-mystery-man-who-may-blow-up-the-2014-nba-draft

Reply #454628 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Love if if he lands at a big franchise (Boston/New York/LA/Chicago)....would be great for the game...as no disrespect to Bogut but the Bucks & GSW aren't the big clubs and non bball followers don't eve know they exist.

Reply #454631 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Warriors are a decent team in a good spot. Bucks are sometimes barely in the league, but sounds like they're likely to stay in Milwaukee and potentially get a new arena.

Reply #454635 | Report this post

Dasson Maid  
Years ago

As mentioned, hopefully he gets to a big franchise and contributes.

It could really benefit the interested in Australian basketball.

As good as Bogut and the Warriors are going, he's not scoring big and not a flashy player which would get local Australian media airplay.

Reply #454640 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac for the link to the $$$ article. Wonder if Bennet's agent negotiated +20% on top of $4.5M?
Good luck to Dante, draft was always the smarter option.

Reply #454654 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Issac - GSW isn't a bigtime franchise that are known to your non NBA follower unlike....Celtics, Lakers, Knicks, Bulls.

That said Bogut has had a good career and hope he stays injury free and GSW make a deep playoff run....but rahter Dante somehow get to a big market with worldwide exposure rather than buried in a small market.

Wonder is Dante could do a Kobe and request a trade to LA...be a great guy to learn off...and onedaty take over from!

Reply #454657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just hope he doesn't land in SA or Cleveland - Aus could have 3 starting NBA PG's in one year's time. It's going to be a hell of a job determining the starting point for the Boomers the next 5 years or so.

Reply #454658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum should be able to play 2 for the Boomers, no?

Mills does anyway...

Reply #454661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't see a scenario where all 3 don't start. Mills has to play 2 due to his size, Delly is a truer PG, Exum probably the "3" in a 3 guard offense.

Reply #454665 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Sacramento have better talent (albeit mostly injured right now) than their record indicates. Post-Gay trade they were a .500 team and took the Pacers to OT a couple of days ago.

If Exum landed there, and locked down a starting spot, they'd have some great young talent along with the veteran Gay, a couple of bench contributors and a decent PF could get them to vying for 8th in the West.

Reply #454670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac for the link to the $$$ article. Wonder if Bennet's agent negotiated +20% on top of $4.5M?
Good luck to Dante, draft was always the smarter option.

I'm pretty sure your 'rookie contract' is pretty much locked in wage wise depending on what position you're drafted in the first round also 2nd round contracts aren't guaranteed anymore.

The days of a #1 pick like Shaq signing a 7 year $40m contract with the Magic when they drafted him are long gone. The Magic always regretted allowing the last 3 years of that to be player options too as Shaq bolted for the Lakers after only 4 years.

Reply #454672 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Hopefully Dante ends up on a team that already has an aussie presence. Great problem to have, but it's already taxing enough for me just keeping up with the Spurs, Warriors & Cavs.

Reply #454692 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

I hope he ends up at the Celtics.

Reply #454696 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind seeing him end up at Boston or Lakers. Cleveland a chance but won't go to spurs or warriors unless he is traded.

Reply #454699 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

exum , mills and delly would hopefully form a very good backcourt rotation for the boomers soon.

with bairstow , baynes and possibly motum/broekhoff forming power forwards

tonnes of talent coming through at sf with bose , simmons, pinder and bolden coming in as newley/ingles become veteran players.

the one position i see a problem at is centre after bogut/anderson/maric move on or are injured. hopefully thon maker becomes the talent he is touted to be.

Reply #454700 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

if exum lands at orlando and they make some good off-season moves they could be decent. mostly i just want to see him go to the best coach. although i was a big celtics fan growing up even if the charlotte hornets were my fav team i just loved the boston franchise.

Reply #454701 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Definitely a great backcourt trio that could stay together up to 10 years. Add in talent such as Goulding and Drmic and the future is bright. Humphries and Maker look the best prospects at centre but too early to tell.

Reply #454707 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I hope he goes to a quality club who dont need him to be a star straight away, like Adams with OKC, taking the pressure off and allowing him to develop at his own pace.

I also hope he is picked by a club that wants a SG, because I dont think he is a PG.

Reply #454712 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

I'm Feeling lakers!!

Reply #454720 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Noooooooooooo!! Anyone but them.
Please basketball gods don't make me have to support the Lakers. It was awful enough trying to like the Sparks when Harrower and then O'Hea went there.

Reply #454723 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Exum looks like going anywhere from 3-6 according to most mock drafts.

Of the others in this range only Embiid, who looks a sensational prospect for a guy who has only had 3 years of organised ball and Parker are living up to expectations. Wiggins is inconsistent and I don't think Randle's style of game will have as big an impact in the NBA. Randle was owned today by a big athletic LSU front line.
In a way what I am thinking is that Dante being out of the limelight might actually see his stock rise. I think he may well go 3 after Embiid and Parker.

I am intrigued to see how his game goes in the show as we really only have a few snippets of his play for the Boomers to see how he performs against men.

Reply #454725 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

He is a genuine gamble though. He's tall and can handle the ball but so was Walt Williams, billy Owens and now Shaun Livingston. I think he does have a better offensive game than those guys but without a college career, let alone a pro career or a legitimate jump shot I'm slightly surprised how high he's projected.

Reply #454730 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I'm torn as to whether I want Exum on the Celtics or not. It would definitely be great for Aussie ball if Dante is able to succeed on a big market team, but its also a very bright, harsh spotlight in a place like Boston or LA.

He could fit nicely on the Celtics, coming off the bench behind Bradley until he's ready for a starting role. Brad Stevens would be a good coach for him as well.

I think if Embiid or Parker are on the table, the Celtics have to take one of them. If both are gone though, Exum starts to enter the mix along with Wiggins.

Reply #454736 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

The big teams are a bright spotlight but isn't that what it really is all about....if he wants to be the best you need to perform in the spotlight and pressure of those cities that expect to win.

I think every baller would prefer to face and hopefully overcome the pressure of those cities than be stuck out in Milwaukie or Charlotte playing in avg line-ups where success is judged on making the first round of play-offs.

Reply #454743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Embiid, Parker, Wiggins, Randle have all the hype....McDermott from Creighton is probably the nations best player, albeit the dreaded word "upside" will see him drafted below inferior players.

Gary Harris, Nick Stauskas, Marcus Smart....big time players at big time schools in big time conferences.

What does Dante bring in skills superior to these guys?? I know he is 6'5 ish, super fast in straight lines, great wingspan....but from what I have seen (which is not a lot, a half dozen games, hence I ask), a shaky jumper and only so-so handles.

Is this kid really ready for NBA play? Having team mates that couldn't give a hoot about you, team mates jealous of an 18yo who has not proved himself, a coaching staff that don't invest that much in a players development, life on the road? Is he ready to deal with the struggles of a rookie? Especially if he is a high first rounder where the spot light will shine if he is not an immediate success?

Reply #454750 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@Anon......if he ain't ready it don't matter cause he'll have plenty of cash in the bank!!!

There are draft busts all the time from College or international but thats just part of the game....if he isn't ready it doesn't matter as he cash out in two years...if he is ready and does well good on him...that said if the Agents are lining him up and people are working him out say he is ready then go for it.

Reply #454751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher.....money ain't everything. The old saying about two bulls sitting above the meadow (I am sure you know it).

Why be in a rush to cash in...when you can invest in a long term future which will bring rewards even richer? (monetary and life)

Agents don't determine someone being ready? Even GM's.....these cats are usually self serving with often only a passing knowledge of the sport.

As I asked....what is this kid bringing to the table (and don't answer "upside") that should make him top 5 pick? I am truly interested to know

Reply #454766 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

You've got to take your opportunities when they are presented. I think if sport is going to be your professional career then the sooner you can start earning some big dollars the better. There's too much risk of getting a significant injury and not getting a gig at all, or worse case, end up just playing NBL! I just hope he has some smart people around him to help manage his life and finances.

Reply #454773 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Anywhere but the Bucks, Kings and Bobcats would be good.
Those franchises have been mismanaged terribly the last few years.
I am looking at you MJ :)

Cavs, Utah, Orlando and 76ers already have young PGs.
So Celtics are best fit if they are going to trade Rondo.
Otherwise Exum will be competing for minutes with some good PGs or playing SG more then expected.

Lakers would be a good fit as well if they "magically" get a high pick ;)
Learning from Nash and Kobe would be an awesome start to your career.

Reply #454819 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:26 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754