Jake
Years ago

Ennis' role in Sixers scuffle

If the allegations are true Ennis escalated the malee he should get the biggest punishment. It is funny how the Tigers players took exception to him as well. Maybe Marvin should be telling him to pull his head in. The Wildcats would strugle without him

Topic #33719 | Report this topic

Vodka63  
Years ago

Have a look at the tape Jake. That claim is nonsense. The biggest punishment should go to Joey "I conduct myself professionally" Wright. If he hadn't kept coming back for more, the whole thing would have fizzled out. If Joey was as professional as he claims he wouldn't have let a touch fire him to the point he was throwing punches (which connected as opposed to the alleged Ennis swings). Instead he would have taken it up with Wildcats management in the strongest of terms and demanded an apology. But what the hell, Ennis plays for Perth so let's give him the biggest punishment.

Reply #457370 | Report this post

James C  
Years ago

Joey does act professionally but taking shit is the botyom line. If the Sixers team walked away from that then they would be pussies. Losing gracefully is one thing. ... but winning gracefully is another ballgame altogether.

Reply #457378 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I don't necessarily condone Ennis' behaviour but if anyone deserves the biggest punishment it's Joey Wright

Reply #457380 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

There's been a few incidents.

- Wollongong loss, refused to shake Demo's hand. Went off at a fan sitting behind the bench, told her to suck his d*ck amongst other things.

- Melbourne loss, refused to shake Chris Goulding's hand. Unofficially punched Goulding (be it small punch to the stomach).

- Last night's win. You can't blame him for that. Although there was some things that happened throughout the game, but I would say it a part of the game. He WAS in the thick of it and apparently took a swing at Creek (something he said was just a jersey grab).

Keep in mind, he's a rookie who's been given the keys to the city and the league.

Reply #457383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I must admit, atleast joey had some balls on that. Marty wouldve hid behind rat who wouldve tried to teach them the ways of his knowledge on everything! Sometimes a man especially in a professional sport with his team literally right there has to stand up and make a stand. Reminds me similar to when coaches purposely get tech fouled to show the team he is behind them.

Perth can play the game, but few would disagree they make the rest of the league sick to the stomach from Marvin down to Hire, real genuine tools, and not even the sharp type you find in the shed. I thank christ im not a Wildcats supporter they just breed em a little off over there...

Reply #457384 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

So James C, if you acted professionally in your workplace like Joey did (and assuming you are a senior, experienced member of staff like Joey), your employer would be ok with that, or do you think there is a chance you might lose your job? Your point about the sixers team walking away is one thing (although Ervin started the whole thing) but Joey coming back for more was anything but professional.

Reply #457385 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

So Nat, you say a few, then discount the third one yourself as he is not to blameThere is another side to the Goulding incident which was widely discussed at the time (and Goulding himself is no stranger to "incidents"). That leaves Wollongong which I didn't see so I can't comment on. Ennis is the best thing that's happened to the league for some time.

Reply #457386 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Vodka63 incidents with Demos and Goulding who are both known for getting under players skin. Mixed with his position as a rookie given the keys to the league, I'd say he's doing pretty well!

Reply #457388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More like keys to Travel !!! great player but taking the mickey and no one seems to care ... how frustrating for the defensive team on that...

Reply #457396 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Agreed

Reply #457397 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"I must admit, atleast joey had some balls on that. "

No.

That was not ballsy/courageous.

It was unprofessional and stupid.

Reply #457400 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"I must admit, atleast joey had some balls on that. "

No.

That was not ballsy/courageous.

It was unprofessional and stupid.

Reply #457402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard you the first time Macdub. Its pro sport, these things happen from time to time, the league needs passion in any possible form, sadly even this form at this stage of its rebirth. Joey isnt my favourite and im really concerned about his Frye move so late, BUT this action atleast shows he has some fire in that big belly of his. Agree to disagree i guess.

Reply #457404 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Ennis will be in the NBA next season......Tyler Ennis. James Ennis isn't perfect and has been involved in some incidents but he is still one of the best players to play NBL in a long time. My pick for MVP.

Reply #457405 | Report this post

James C  
Years ago

Vodka64 I am well respected in my field and if someone came into my place of work, pushed me and said words and I didn't stand up for the club/ business and react id shame myself. I think Joey was showing respect for his position as " you dont push the coach" I cant see Sixers management taking any action nor should the league. This will have people talking and hopefully have more eyes on the next game.

Reply #457406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joeys an idiot but he had bulls both him and ennis should get a game or two for punching. Don't know why tatalovich pushed him though

Reply #457407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty gutless move by Gleeson to push Joey from behind his players and then run from Joey when he comes to challenge him on it....pretty much sums up the wildcats though (Martin the exception).

Reply #457414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beal started it apparently, not Gary, not Joey...

Reply #457416 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Surprise surprise! Another post for bashing another wildcats player. Anyone even notice who ennis was exchanging words with? That man petrie? The same petrie who was tangling with wagstaff, redhage and ennis throughout the whole game. Nothing against petrie i love him as a player but he was overly physical during the game (including face palming wagstaff on the baseline) which is fine because someone needed to try will his side back into the game. But it was obvious he was frustrated. So it was brewing the whole game and its ludicrous to pick out ennis in a melee and say its his fault. Ennis was well controlled all game considering the rough tactics he has to put up with every time he has the ball. And Petrie has a right to be frustrated too with the bad night the 6ers had and would be more likely to be the instigator considering he was in the thick of it all night. Of course ennis has a lot to improve on to become more professional and not retaliating as much as he does but he doesn't seem to be an instigator. Goulding? Ha not even going to go there. Wright took exception to being pushed during the melee but should not have gone on with it a second time. Isn't it more likely that the players who were frustrated after a poor loss be escalating things into a melee? But of course here its easier to say perth are bad winners. Someone even said they are smug because they were smiling after the win. wtf? It was just a frustrated adelaide team and a young player from a tough childhood that cant control his emotions at times getting into a push and shove. There is nothing in it. As far as the coaching staff is concerned, they should not be involved at all. Joey Wright needed to be more professional and a better leader but he completely lost the plot.

Reply #457423 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The above two anon posts are complete lies.

Reply #457424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a big fish in a small pond, looking forward to him heading back to the NBA and getting his arse handed to him. Maybe Shane Battier can teach him a bit of sportsmanship!

Reply #457425 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

All bunch of tossers, with out the nbl would'nt be worth sweet fa!! Alwayz said if u dnt like the club u dnt have to bag them and the players.

Reply #457442 | Report this post

ENNIS4PM  
Years ago

Ennis is probably one of the best things that could happen to this league. Being able to get a player of his athleticism and physique out to Australia doesn't happen very often if not all? Just be greatful and enjoy being able to witness first hand this level of basketball in Australia.
Yes the Wildcats more then likely would struggle and won't be the team they are without him.. but guess what? they need not worry about that because they have him!!!! Don't hate appriciate people... say it with me :)

Reply #457445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL at saying the Wildcats would struggle without him. They made the Grand Final last year with Martin/Lisch/Hire/Redhage/Knight and yet they would struggle with Martin/Beal/New Import/Redhage/Knight?

Reply #457446 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Anons are having a field day with their stupid comments

Reply #457448 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Anyone even notice who ennis was exchanging words with? That man petrie? The same petrie who was tangling with wagstaff, redhage and ennis throughout the whole game."

Made me laugh. Petrie, what a menace...

Reply #457454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth can play the game, but few would disagree they make the rest of the league sick to the stomach from Marvin down to Hire, real genuine tools"

Yep Marvin as GM sets the tone for the whole club. Rude & arrogant.

Reply #457479 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Wow pretty tired of the wildcats bashing, seems to me there's a lot of jealous opposition fans out there. Cats being out an exciting player and whenever they can, they talk down ennis. Get real people

Reply #457482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one is saying Ennis is 't amazing but that not does give him an open door to be immune from the rules everyone plays under, including his own team. NBL and Cooper are responsible but players get frustrated. Fair enough they do. They also get tired of players in all teams that continue to push boundries with shoves in the back, elbows amongst other things. Some players just won't put up with it and push back and get penalised. Before you say toughen up, if you want all that go to AFL. there is no denying some players get away with the same thing week in and out and just smile to themselves while others commit the same and pinned immediately. it adds to the fire so cut players some slack if they get heated every now and then. There is no comparing last season to this although the reffing is fast moving back there, so last years teams are not that relevent, and if you think it is then Mal isn't doing his job....

Reply #457487 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Perth to finish on top of ladder

Reply #457488 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Everyone needs to stop kidding themselves and wake up: Brendan Teys orchestrated the whole incident. He is the real mastermind behind all of this.

Reply #457491 | Report this post

nailna3  
Years ago

no player is the be all/end all of civilization.
ennis included. he might be a hero to 11000 people but if your so damn hot, go back to the states n really try ur luck. just another kirk baker in the world and even he sucked big time

Reply #457504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Situation, the footage doesn't lie. You can sit there on your high horse all you like but the footage clearly shows Gleeson pushing Wright from behind his players and then backing up as Wright wanted to go on with it.
I'm not condoning what Wright did but don't go saying Gleeson pushing him is a lie...

Reply #457516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

516, have you been paying attention? Do you know what Gleeson looks like? I think you have the wrong person champ. The footage does NOT show Gleeson pushing anybody. Get your facts right.

Reply #457522 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"the footage clearly shows Gleeson pushing Wright from behind his players and then backing up as Wright wanted to go on with it."
Just to the left of the unicorn, you mean?

Reply #457528 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

90% of the OP comes down to "he plays for Perth, let's get him". The logical progression is something I wouldn't expect out of anyone who wasn't undergoing electroshock therapy.

You know, it's probably not a surprise that Wildcats supporters get a complex about this sort of thing.

Reply #457535 | Report this post

Alabama Slamma  
Years ago

Wildcat Dicks........

Reply #457551 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Would have loved to have seen the incident so I can then jump on the "hate on the wildcats" bandwagon.

Reply #457559 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Most people jumped on without having seen the incident.

Reply #457560 | Report this post

Stevie Wonder  
Years ago

dont ask the blind guy

Reply #457562 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Mystro i will update you what happened according to the non west australian hoops fraternity.. Apparently greg hire disrespected the 36ers by shooting a three pointer with only a few seconds left when the result was beyond doubt. Ervin politely told hire he shouldn't have done that so hire unleashed on the little man. Redhage flopped so ennis started throwing punches without any provocation and if wasn't for damian martin he would have wasted creek. Meanwhile Gleeson and tatalovic were ganging up on joey wright and no matter how hard he tried he couldn't get away. In self defense he went after them later on but it is justified because tatalovic left a mark on his 90's styled designer shirt. Creek can be seen trying find a way out of the melee but is a reluctant participant and can be seen crying because ennis nearly killed him. General consensus here is its great that joey is showing some passion and is very professional. Ennis should be rubbed out and sent back to the US. Gleeson and co are tools but the nbl wont impose any sanctions on them because marvin has brokered a deal so that the wildcats get favourable calls and can brawl with impunity. Im surprised wagstaff didnt get a mention but i guess its just implied now he is the one that instigated everything

Reply #457569 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Bol Bol - Brilliant!

Reply #457573 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm gonna get bashed for saying this but we have Miami Heat that knew they had a skillful, athletic, immature and short on life experiences player when they were signing contracts with Perth...

Lets say for a moment that Ennis was to blame for those 3 issues mentioned above...

Now don't you think Miami are thinking that this is great, they don't have to babysit him as he matures into an outstanding young man.

Don't you think that other NBA teams are looking at this and thinking that they may have players coming through that they can send here.

Is this not what every NBL fan wants, that their team have a marquee player (not all will be good Christians like Jesse Sanders and Rotnei) that will put bums on seats, entertain and hopefully they will love our country(countries) and if they don't stick around then atleast encourage the next batch from the NBA to come down here.

In saying all this I do hope Ennis can grow a thicker skin and we don't have any further incidents with him this season.

Reply #457575 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

At least 36ers fans here are agreeing that Joey Wright acted unprofessionally after the game in Perth, regardless of the circumstances (Joey should have done an Al Green and challenged people to meet him in the parking lot later on.....off camera of course hehe)

On the other hand, Wildcats fans here seem to be of the opinion that James Ennis should be able to get away with what he wants to because:
A) he plays for Perth
B) he's supposedly the "best thing to happen to the NBL" (sorry, have to laugh at that one)
C) he's supposedly NBA bound (laughing again)

I don't care who you are, a head coach or an NBA wannabe, no one should be above punishment.

For the record, neither Joey Wright or James Ennis was responsible for starting the fight. But should that matter?

Reply #457580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bol Bol, you talk a lot of crap.

Reply #457597 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Are you just making shit up now or what?
Which Perth fans think Ennis should be able to get away with anything other than what the average player should be able to get away with?

It has been getting pretty retarded up in here since Friday night.
A little scuffle really brings out the crazy and the trolly on this board, and some usually-sensible people seem to get caught up in it as well.

Reply #457598 | Report this post

Catalan  
Years ago

^ i think he was joking anon

Reply #457600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh yeah

Reply #457605 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Where is the "Ervin's role in the Sixers scuffle" thread?

Reply #457614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bol Bol, that was the funniest story ever!

Reply #457617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umm, #597, that's the point.

Reply #457619 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

#597 was just summarizing the retarded opinions that i have read on here regarding friday night and the general everyone against perth mentality. If i was "talking a lot of crap" then i agree with you totally!

Reply #457668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My apologies, it was the assistant coach who pushed Joey but in my defence it was hard to tell who it was hiding behind all of those players.

Reply #457725 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

No one pushed Joey.

Reply #457726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is totally unclear. Joey was provoked some how and that will be determined. Speculate all you want, whatever anyone thinks here is speculation.
It will be interesting to see how the NNBL handles this issue.

Reply #457728 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Photos from a frame by frame analysis on twitter show clearly that Wright was not pushed in the chest. His hand, which at the time was touching a wildcats player was removed from that player very softly by the wildcats assistant coach. You can see that at all times, Wrights hand was between the assistant coaches hand and Wrights chest. There was no push, no shove and he was not "attacked". Sixers fans might like to open the other eye and have another look at the tape.

Reply #457729 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

So not only had Wright lied about what set him off, he's admitted that he knows he is likely to be found guilty of an offence. Smart man!

Reply #457734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJ Anthony handled the situation perfectly.

He got Joey out of the way and he knew the Perth players didn't even want to push him. He was guided away by his teammates, although he walked backwards giving Perth crazy eyes the entire time.

Awesome stuff.

After the result in Melbourne today, one might think that Joey did what he had to do to unite the group and get them back on track.

Reply #457735 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Agree that BJ was one guy out there who got it absolutely right

Reply #457745 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Joey has come out and said he could have handled things better, has amitted things got out of control but was pushed and provoked by a little man. I haven't as yet heard from Ennis who was the only one on tape I saw throwing wild haymakers directed at guys faces. The rest was just some push and shove between two passionate teams but Ennis took it to the next level with his wild swings

Reply #457749 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Wild haymakers?? Ok...

Reply #457751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's see what the official coverage shows. No none has seen that here. Let's also hope that the official footage as it is supposed to be recorded covers the after game coverage of the teams exiting the court etc. Yet again no one has even raised that as an issue. It's not necessarily anything to do with what has been captured on TV.
If the official footage doesn't show it and it should then maybe there TV stuff will be called into evidence and equally there may be other angles that never went to air that may show a different perspective.

Reply #457752 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

BJ and Damo are the only one's who can hold their heads high here. Though the other players only deserve fines at worst. Joey should be suspended for a game or two.

The NBL should have got off their butts and made a decision on Joey prior to today's game, but that's the type of unprofessional response we've come to expect from this league.

Reply #457768 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Wild haymakers?

Don't drink the bong water.

Reply #457782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey Wright is a smart coach and what a smart move. He was losing the playing group then stands up for them at Perth and see what a response vs Tigers he got.

Reply #457784 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

As a cats fan I must admit im not a big Joey fan but give him credit for putting aside adversity and leading sixers to win against tigers.

Reply #457785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He nearly was a Cats head coach at one point.

Do Cats fans like anyone other than their own?

Respect the two time champion, only coach in the league at present with rings.

Reply #457788 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

What was his second ring (bullets 07) ? I am a cats fan and despite his antics I do respect him. Any logical fan regardless of which team they support have to admit Joey flew off the handle

Reply #457789 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

I respect Joey - however less after his efforts on Fri night.

Reply #457790 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I don't support the Cats or the 6ers. My opinion on Joey is that he has achieved what I would expect an AVERAGE coach to achieve with the talent he has within his lineups in the past. Titles (well more accurately title)mean little when you have by far the most talent available as was the situation at the Bullets. His efforts with the Blaze and 36ers so far have only been so-so.If he can deliver the 6ers the title this year against a full strength Cats team I may rate him more highly.

Reply #457803 | Report this post

Jodiechrist  
Years ago

Not a supporter of either team, but obviously both have a fair bit to answer to from Friday, and the NBL has to clamp down on Ennis. It doesn't matter that he didn't start it, he's still clearly throwing punches in the footage, and the bad attitude he's had all season needs to be kept in check. As for earlier in the season telling a punter to suck his dick? The club themselves should be disciplining him for that rubbish - that's outrageous and shouldn't be tolerated in any sport, let alone one that's trying to rebuild a broad fan base. But hey, it's the wildcats who are sore winners, sore losers, and have to take the title for most arrogant team in the league, so I doubt they're going to take responsibility for themselves any time soon.

Reply #457809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anybody think that if Joey or Ennis get suspensions that they should include the game between the 2 clubs on 14 March?

It's not going to mean as much as if they meet in the finals and the league will be seen to have done something?

Reply #458182 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:42 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754