Wat a dik
Years ago

Sturt vs Woodville

Heard that the warriors men got the big W tonight with a very good defencive effort against a very good offencive side. thats about all i got. please4 post more

Topic #3407 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

89-76 win to the Warriors gives them the advantage if the race for the finals gets any closer (Sturt won by 12 last time).

Birmingham had 19 and 11 for Woodville. Good spread of scorers but Puddifoot wasn't at his best -- fouled out (5 fouls well before half-time, including a tech). Woodville got the early lead, but Sturt pulled it back in the second quarter, holding the Warriors to a ten point quarter. From there, it was mostly very even until Woodville got some easy layups in the last 5 minutes to grab a lead and hold it.

Poor shooting display after last weekend at Pasadena -- Sturt shot 32% and the Warriors about 37%. 23 Turnovers to the Sabres and narrowly lost the boards (61-64 from memory).

For Sturt, Forman had 23 points, 21 rebounds and 4 assists but shot 7-22 from the field (2-8 threes) and 7-12 FT. Rebounded well, but not his best shooting game. I think Finkemeyer had about 14, 7 and 4 blocks. Ng had 19 or so. Sturt regained Hackendorf, and had James-Martin back for 8 minutes before he began limping a bit and subbed himself out. Shepherd had 6 assists (not on my usual laptop, don't have the boxscore, and going from memory).

A lot of offensive fouls called on Sturt (some likely correct -- hard to see -- but some I thought were wrongly called: e.g., Wilson darts in front of Ng giving him no chance to get out of the way, etc). That's not an excuse though -- for Sturt to win that game they needed to make more baskets and stop easy layups.

Quite an entertaining game with a lot of transition steals and the like.

Reply #39185 | Report this post

Yourmum  
Years ago

learn how to spell

Reply #39213 | Report this post

I didn't think Sturt realised about the 12 point loss, they didn't hold onto the ball at the end and gave away easy layups.

Entertaining game. The game was dominated by Forman, when he started to tire in the late 3rd/4th quarters, Woodville got the upper hand. The defensive effort from Woodville was great, Wilson on Ng and Puddifoot/Miller on Forman. It's the first time I've seen Forman play in the ABA and wow, he pulled some massive boards. Great player

Reply #39240 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I thought that Sturt were a bit silly not to go at Puddifoot when he came back on with a single foul to give. He hung around and caused some trouble. Statistically he didn't have a huge game, but he's good enough on defense that you'd want him out of the way!

Reply #39246 | Report this post

Boxscores for a Woodville game! Yesss.

And was I the only one that thought Pudds played much better when he had 5 fouls?

Reply #39267 | Report this post

Hooping  
Years ago

I agree with Isaac. Puds got his fifth foul and was still on the court straight after. Why in the hell did they not throw whoever he was defending the ball in post and muscle a shot. We all know puds can guard people on the outside but as an inside player I think he gets fouls easy. Other than that I thought sturts turnovers let them down and woodville capitalised on this.

Reply #39270 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

Woodville beating Sturt thats a huge effort

Reply #39300 | Report this post

S Vidmar  
Years ago

and the split goes to the Warriors by 1pt very handy at the end of the year

Reply #39303 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:56 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754