Rav
Years ago

Chad Ford Mock Draft 8.0

With the draft just over a week away, Chad Ford has release another mock draft. If the 76ers walk away from this draft with both Wiggins & Randle, then Brett Brown will have a lot of talent to work with next season.

---------------------------------------------------------------
1) Joel Embiid Cleveland Cavaliers (33 - 49) COLLEGE: Kansas HT: 7-0 WT: 250 POS: C
Embiid's workout and interview in Cleveland last week were major successes, according to sources close to the Cavs. Embiid did a full workout there in front of the Cavs' front office and owner Dan Gilbert. Multiple sources said that the team was blown away with the workout. Embiid even ended one session by launching and nailing a series of 3s. Directly after the workout, two different sources told me that Embiid was the strong favorite to be drafted by the Cavs. Even Gilbert was on board.

However, there have been conflicting reports coming out of Cleveland about Embiid's physical, with one report stating the Cavs found multiple red flags. That's been strongly disputed by the sources I have, but getting accurate information this time of year is especially challenging. I don't see the incentive for the Cavs to leak that the physical was bad. It lessens the value of the No. 1 pick, especially considering that they are still looking at multiple trade options. The only way leaking it makes much sense is if they are thinking of swapping picks with the Sixers and want Embiid to fall to them there.

Regardless, the team also gets Andrew Wiggins (on Wednesday) and Jabari Parker (on Friday) in this week. Right now, I continue to believe Embiid is moving closer and closer to being the No. 1 pick, but if the physical was bad, a great trade offer comes in or if Wiggins or Parker blow the Cavs away in workouts, things could obviously change.

2) Jabari Parker Milwaukee Bucks (15 - 67) COLLEGE: Duke HT: 6-8 WT: 241 POS: SF
The Bucks have been very busy. Last week, GM John Hammond and assistant GM David Morway flew to California and did private workouts with Parker and Andrew Wiggins and dinner with Joel Embiid. Then they flew back to Milwaukee and had Dante Exum work out on Saturday. Parker then came into Milwaukee for a physical on Monday and is set to have his his first full workout. Embiid and Wiggins are scheduled for workouts in Milwaukee later this week. The Bucks are the only team to get all four players in for workouts.

The truth is, the Bucks like all four players and can see all of them as fits. Embiid especially intrigues, but the Bucks, like everyone else, are still waiting to get the physical. If Embiid is gone or if the physical is a problem, I believe Parker has the slight lead over Exum and Wiggins. Not only is Parker the most NBA-ready of the prospects, but the team was impressed with his maturity and desire to play in Milwaukee. But this one is still very much up in the air. The Bucks would really like a point guard and think Exum would be a perfect partner for Giannis Antetokounmpo, and Wiggins' athleticism just dazzled them in Santa Barbara. I'm not sure how the Bucks go wrong here. They're going to have a very tough choice.

3) Andrew Wiggins Philadelphia 76ers (19 - 63) COLLEGE: Kansas HT: 6-8 WT: 200 POS: SG
Wiggins has been the target all year for the Sixers. He finally traveled to Philly on Monday for his first workout. The Sixers have been actively trying to trade up to make sure they land him, and I'm told a swap of No. 1 for No. 3 and Thaddeus Young isn't totally out of the question -- as long as the Cavs have some reasonable belief that the Bucks would pass on Joel Embiid at No. 2.

However, the deal might not be necessary, as I think the most likely scenario right now is that Wiggins falls to No. 3. If Wiggins somehow goes ahead of them, Jabari Parker is the obvious fit, but I keep hearing that Dante Exum, especially after his workout in Philly on Monday, is a real possibility right now. The team believes he can fit nicely in the backcourt with Michael Carter-Williams.

4) Dante Exum Orlando Magic (23 - 59) COLLEGE: Australia HT: 6-6 WT: 196 POS: PG
Unless one of the top three -- Joel Embiid, Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins -- falls to them at No. 4, I think this one is down to Noah Vonleh and Exum. We had Vonleh here at No. 4 last week after he worked out for the team and he was very impressive. Several sources who have worked out Vonleh over the past week have disputed the rumor that he was out of shape (he certainly didn't look that way to me in New York a few weeks ago). But even if he was, he has so many things going for him at his size that he's an attractive option for the Magic, who could use an athletic rim protector and shooter to pair with Nikola Vucevic on their front line.

However, the more I dig, the more I believe this is Exum's spot to lose. The Magic need a point guard and have been intrigued all year. He comes in to work out on Tuesday. If he wows them in the workout, the Magic feel he's just too good to pass on here and will try to solve their power forward issues later in the draft or via free agency or trade.

Marcus Smart was the other player who had drawn interest, but I get the feeling out of Orlando that his workouts there (he's had two now) weren't particularly strong and might have knocked him out of contention at No. 4.

5) Noah Vonleh Utah Jazz (25 - 57) COLLEGE: Indiana HT: 6-10 WT: 247 POS: PF
This one comes down to Dante Exum, Noah Vonleh and Aaron Gordon from what I can gather, and I think it will be hard for the Jazz to pass on either Exum or Vonleh if they are on the board.

While the Jazz drafted Trey Burke last year, they believe Exum has a higher ceiling (and I think they are right). And the Burke pick isn't a waste. Exum can also play at the 2 when Burke is on the floor.

Vonleh gives them a stretch 4 that adds a different wrinkle to their front line. There are enough minutes for Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter and Vonleh all to get significant minutes, and with Kanter heading toward restricted free agency next summer, this gives them some insurance as well.

Gordon is another possibility. He had a great workout and the team loves his energy and athleticism. But I don't get the impression that he's ahead of Exum or Vonleh. Marcus Smart has gotten a number of mentions here by other commentators, but I don't think the Jazz have been as high on him, and he's not even working out in Utah.

6) Aaron Gordon Boston Celtics (25 - 57) COLLEGE: Arizona HT: 6-9 WT: 220 POS: PF
The Celtics were very busy last week, holding workouts with Noah Vonleh, Aaron Gordon, Marcus Smart, Julius Randle, Gary Harris, Nik Stauksas and Doug McDermott, essentially everyone they would consider with the No. 6 pick.

I still believe that Vonleh, Gordon and Smart are the heavy favorites if Boston keeps the pick, with Gordon being the choice right now given the way we have the draft board playing out.

But I continue to get strong signals that the Celtics are trying hard to use pick No. 6 and 17 along with future No. 1s and young players such as Jared Sullinger or Kelly Olynyk to persuade the Minnesota Timberwolves to trade them Kevin Love. One source close to the Wolves said that while Flip Saunders does not want to trade Love, he realizes the team likely will lose him this summer and the package the Celtics are offering is probably the best he's going to get. Given the strength of the draft, picks 6, 13 and 17 could land them three young starters to help them rebuild their roster quickly.

7) Marcus Smart Los Angeles Lakers (27 - 55) COLLEGE: Oklahoma State HT: 6-3 WT: 227 POS: PG
We've had Julius Randle here for the past few mocks, but issues with his foot that were detected at the NBA combine might lead to his stock sliding a bit. It depends on who you talk to. Several teams I spoke with weren't concerned at all with the injury, saying it was a minor procedure to fix it and of all the players that have had Jones fractures in the past, none have had lingering issues with it in the league. However, other teams have said that it concerns them enough that they'd pass in the mid-lottery. At this time of the year, it's hard to know who to believe.

Given Randle's potential foot issues, Smart becomes a strong possibility here. He goes back in for a workout this week against Elfrid Payton. The Lakers had both players in once already, but they didn't work out against each other. Smart worked out against Tyler Ennis, and Payton worked out against Zach LaVine. The Lakers loved both Smart and Payton and want to see them head-to-head. It will be the third time the two have gone at it (they worked out together in Sacramento and Boston). Both of those other workouts were super competitive between the two, I'm told.

8) Elfrid Payton Sacramento Kings (28 - 54) COLLEGE: Louisiana Lafayette HT: 6-4 WT: 185 POS: PG
The Kings continue to be active in trying to trade the pick, with multiple sources saying that a trade is more likely than the Kings drafting where they are. But until a deal materializes, we have to take a look at what they are doing. Point guard seems to be a main area of focus, and both Marcus Smart and Payton are in the mix here. If the Lakers or Celtics grab Smart and Julius Randle falls, I think they could shock everyone and take Payton over a player like Randle. Two months ago, having Payton this high seemed nuts, but he's been one of just two or three guys that have gotten rave reviews in every workout they have had. His size, toughness, defense and leadership abilities would all be welcome in Sacramento.

9) Doug McDermott Charlotte Bobcats (43 - 39) COLLEGE: Creighton HT: 6-8 WT: 218 POS: SF
McDermott's workout in Charlotte last week against T.J. Warren wasn't a huge hit. While McDermott shot the ball well, he struggled in the competitive portions of the drill when he had to guard Warren one-on-one. After seeing Warren destroy everyone a few weeks ago in Thousand Oaks, I have a good idea of what the Hornets saw there. However, the Hornets desperately need spot-up shooting. That's McDermott's strength. They aren't going to be asking him to break people down one-on-one. Gary Harris, Nik Stauskas and Randle (if he's still on the board) will be in the mix, but I continue to think McDermott gets his name called here.

10) Julius Randle Philadelphia 76ers (19 - 63) COLLEGE: Kentucky HT: 6-9 WT: 234 POS: PF
If the Sixers go with a wing early, then I think they go big here if they can. There are also scenarios where Randle could slide now that it's known he has a foot issue. Landing Randle would be a huge coup for the team if they believe his foot won't be a long-term issue. He would be the perfect complement to Nerlens Noel on the front line and give them a big man who can run the floor and command a double-team in the paint. A combo of Michael Carter-Williams, Nerlens Noel, Andrew Wiggins and Julius Randle would be a formidable young core going forward.

Dario Saric is also real possibility here. His agent told ESPN.com on Monday that Saric had decided to keep his name in the draft. The Sixers were big fans of Saric last year and his play this year should help cement his status as a lottery pick. He would be a great fit for Philly.

11) Gary Harris Denver Nuggets (36 - 46) COLLEGE: Michigan State HT: 6-5 WT: 205 POS: SG
The Nuggets continue to discuss moving this pick to the Chicago Bulls. If the Bulls get this pick, they'll grab either Harris or Nik Stauskas here. They've also had several other discussions with teams about deals and seemed poised to move this pick. Harris, Stauskas and James Young seem to be focal points, as is Tyler Ennis. Right now I'd give the edge to Harris.

12) Dario Saric Orlando Magic (23 - 59) COLLEGE: Croatia HT: 6-10 WT: 223 POS: PF
This pick is highly contextual on what the Magic do at No. 4. If they go with Dante Exum, then they'll likely look at another big, and Saric is the one guy left on the board who really makes some sense for them. His playmaking ability, rebounding and versatility make him a nice fit in Orlando. Exum and Saric would give them the two best young international prospects in the draft.

But one of the reasons they are looking at a big like Noah Vonleh at No. 4 is because the draft is pretty weak on bigs after Vonleh, Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon are off the board. Meanwhile, there are several intriguing point guards here, the most exciting of which might be Elfrid Payton. His athleticism, quickness, defensive toughness and ability to get to the rim make him a great fix in Orlando if they pass on Exum. Tyler Ennis, Zach LaVine and Shabazz Napier would all get looks here, too.

13) Nik Stauskas Minnesota Timberwolves (40 - 42) COLLEGE: Michigan HT: 6-7 WT: 207 POS: SG
The Wolves, as we discussed, are talking trade now with a number of teams. With Kevin Love threatening to leave next year, they have to do something. We discussed the Boston Celtics scenario above. The Sacramento Kings, Chicago Bulls, Houston Rockets and Golden State Warriors also have been strong suitors. However, if they keep their pick and Stauskas is on the board here, I'm not sure how they pass. It's possible he might be. He sprained his shoulder about a week ago and had to cancel workouts last week. He worked out last week in Boston and Los Angeles, but the likelihood he goes six or seven is very slim. If Stauskas is gone, James Young, Rodney Hood and Adreian Payne are two other players getting long looks here.

14) James Young Phoenix Suns (48 - 34) COLLEGE: Kentucky HT: 6-8 WT: 213 POS: SF
The Suns' biggest need is probably at wing. Young has the ability to play both the 2 and 3 with his 7-foot wingspan. He's one of the youngest players in the draft and projects as a potent shooter down the road. I think this is a nice value pick for the Suns if he's still here. Rodney Hood are T.J. Warren are other players that will get long looks from Phoenix.

15) Jusuf Nurkic Atlanta Hawks (38 - 44) COLLEGE: Bosnia HT: 6-11 WT: 280 POS: C
Since Danny Ferry has been on board, the Hawks have a track record of finding top international talent. And with a pretty gaping hole in the paint, Nurkic seems like a good fit. He's huge and is putting up great per-minute numbers in the Adriatic League this year.

The Hawks' other big need is shooting, especially from the 2. Zach LaVine is a real option here. While LaVine is trying to show everyone that he's a point guard and might be down the road, most teams think that at least at the beginning of his career, he's more likely to be a 2. His athleticism and shooting ability, along with terrific upside make him a very intriguing prospect.

16) Adreian Payne Chicago Bulls (48 - 34) COLLEGE: Michigan State HT: 6-10 WT: 239 POS: PF
As I stated last week, the Bulls have been trying to move up in the draft to get an elite shooter. Their target has been Denver, with an offer of the 16th and 19th picks for 11. If they get there, Gary Harris or Nik Stauskas will be the guy, with them likely leaning toward Stauskas. Payne is another elite shooter, though he's a big man who stretches the floor a different way. The fact that he can also play some 5 is another huge bonus. Also don't count out Rodney Hood here. He had a series of really good workouts and it's unlikely that the Bulls will be able to get him, or a similar shooter, a few picks below.

17) Zach LaVine Boston Celtics (25 - 57) COLLEGE: UCLA HT: 6-6 WT: 181 POS: PG
LaVine is a difficult prospect to project. On raw talent, he's one of the top 10 players in this draft. But as a basketball player, he still has a long way to go. Celtics boss Danny Ainge hasn't been afraid to swing for the fences with players like this in the past, and I think at 17, the reward outweighs the risk. The wild card here is Missouri's Jordan Clarkson, who continues to move up the draft boards with stellar workouts.

18) T.J. Warren Phoenix Suns (48 - 34) COLLEGE: NC State HT: 6-8 WT: 220 POS: SF
With the Suns shoring up their wing, look for them to add another forward. Warren mmight be, next to Jabari Parker and Doug McDermott, the best scorer in this draft. He's not a great shooter, but he's got a unique ability to get to the rim. The Suns are loaded with 4s who can shoot the ball, which opens up some unique space for Warren.

19) Shabazz Napier Chicago Bulls (48 - 34) COLLEGE: Connecticut HT: 6-1 WT: 175 POS: PG
The Bulls get shooting with Payne, and now they look to add some depth at the point guard position. We've had Tyler Ennis to the Bulls for several mocks, but I'm beginning to hear a slight preference for Napier in Chicago. Napier has more experience and is a better shooter and defender. He lacks Ennis' size and has less upside, but for a team that wants to contend right now, Napier is a good choice.

20) Tyler Ennis Toronto Raptors (48 - 34) COLLEGE: Syracuse HT: 6-3 WT: 182 POS: PG
The Raptors have been eyeing a point guard and will be happy if the local product Ennis falls here. Ennis is in the mix as high as the Sacramento Kings at No. 8. But in workouts, he has struggled to get ahead of Marcus Smart, Elfrid Payton and ShabazzNapier. But he's a great value here.

Topic #34694 | Report this topic

jonno  
Years ago

Would the smart move for the 76ers be to wait until the first 2 picks have been taken and see how it plays out??

As they want Wiggins, he may fall to them without them doing any trades, so why not wait and see, instead of giving up 2 assets to get something you can get without giving up anything.

The worse case is say Wiggins goes 1 or 2, couldnt they then draft whoevers left out of Embiid and Parker and offer them with Young and another pick or 2 like they are considering now and do the trade then??

I would hate to see them make the trade then find out they didnt need to, sometimes in life its best to sit still and see how it plays out, especially given it looks somewhat likely they will get what they want.

Reply #479311 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Because if Wiggins goes 1 or 2 without a trade deal in place it will be because the Cavs or Bucks want Wiggins. Philly would then need an even better deal to pry Wiggins away.

Reply #479322 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Yea true,

i still reckon they are better off waiting with pick 3, at worse grab Embiid or Parker, and maybe just go with them, could even package them up with someone and get a more proven young player???

they also have another first rounder and i assume cap room, could they go for someone like Luol Deng as a Free agent if they dont get Wiggins??

Reply #479331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another perspective:

nbadraft.net

Reply #479379 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:53 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754