LC
Years ago

SEABL Report Cards - Men

With the SEABL season coming to a close, #TeamPnR's Grant Richardson takes an overview of every side's performance for 2014.

SEABL Men’s Report Cards

Do you agree or disagree?

Topic #35504 | Report this topic

Rex  
Years ago

Spot on for Brisbane, time for a new coach, some new big men (not old big men) and hopefully some success like the Womens program.
The loss against CoE was a turning point and everything fell apart after that.

Reply #495255 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Also tend to agree with the Supercats season report card LC. We always want to keep serious injuries in check and come out with positives about their replacements, but as well as White Jr did in his short term there was no way Geelong could cover the loss of Mercer...

Young combo' guard Varley will need to step up and start playing on court more this season if our back court rotation is going to remain viable through to finals again IMO, but the key will be in the imports!

Get the mix right and the Supercats should be there again next season.

Reply #495259 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Knox's financial issues had no bearing on it's SEABL men's performance.
The coach spoke of playing finals if he could bring in his own roster - he failed massively.
It is alleged that when asked by the board about home grown Knox kids he was very uncomplimentary of the kids and the junior program.
What he fails to recognise is the Knox junior program has won many National, VC and Classic titles throughout 2000-2012. They have had strong representation at State Level and US College Basketball.
They have swept a broom through their coaching ranks and this years coaching appointments are the most inexperienced I've ever known.
The Senior Program is in disarray and the fact there may be no SEABL teams this year maybe a blessing in disguise for the coach otherwise he would have to justify to the members why so many quality junior coaches and players are leaving the club.

The place will not recover until such time they replace the DOC with someone who has a strong commitment to the program.

Maybe time to look around the Gosford area for our next DOC?

Reply #495289 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Would Geelong keep Eric Gaff?

Reply #495293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eric Gaff has re-signed, so yes

Reply #495297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

STAR big man Eric Gaff has re-signed for a second SEABL season with the McDonald's Geelong Supercats.

Gaff, who joined Geelong after three years with NW Tasmania, put pen to paper before returning home to the United States.

"I'm very excited to come back and hopefully we can get our ultimate goal of a championship," the two-time SEABL Defensive Player of the Year told Supercats TV

“The guys are definitely hungry to get that championship, so I expect guys will be working pretty hard in the off-season."

Gaff averaged 11.8 points and 11.2 rebounds across 29 games, as well as leading the SEABL in blocked shots at 2.88 per game.

“Everyone you deal with is a delight to work with and everything’s taken care of... there’s little I have to do," he said.

“It was definitely a family oriented team, with guys from the bottom to the top always wanting to help out and pitch in.

“It’s a real pleasure to be a part of."

When Gaff returns it will be under new coach Leon O'Neill, who was confirmed last week as the replacement for Jamie O'Loughlin.

“Leon will be a great coach," Gaff said.

“He ran a lot practice towards the end as Jamie has to fulfill other obligations.

“He definitely knows what he’s talking about. He has some great plans for the future of the Supercats.

“Jamie left a great foundation for him to build on for us to take it to the next level."

Gaff will return in February ahead of the 2015 campaign and he says he has plenty to keep him busy over the next five months.

"I’m going to go home and be in a few weddings, that’s why I’m taking off so quick," he said.

“And then I have a coaching opportunity to look into."

Reply #495298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some further news on Geelong, even if Mercer makes a full recovery he won't be back, he announced his retirement after the injury, so unfortunately we won't be seeing him back out there.
I would also like to see Geelong use all available roster spots next season - we only signed 11 guys this year and while Varley & Harrison didn't see much court time, I wonder if there was an option of signing someone who would have been in front of those 2 (especially Varley) who could run point to have helped out when Mercer went down.

Reply #495300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"At 207cm each, Jerrah Young and Khalil Hartwell were imposing figures under the rim" ......

Reply #495324 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Great news for Geelong, Eric is a top bloke and an excellent team player. Look to seeing him and Liam share more court time with Ash as the main bigs again next year, should be even better with a season behind them...

Reply #495329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imposing starts at about 210cm anon, anything under that is just big, not imposing.

Reply #495360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imposing duds.

Reply #495375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any truth that the SEABL subsidised paid for Knox to compete last season

Reply #495458 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Lets hope Simon G gets a two year contract at Frankston. Did a great job coming in late and nearly making the playoffs.Can't ask for much more than that.

Reply #495594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simon G did a fantastic job, AM did the ground work during the off season and Simon carried over and did very well getting some big scalps

Reply #495636 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Deba George to Albury - should have unlimited shots there.

Reply #500667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be interesting to see how he goes there for sure.

Reply #500680 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Has Simon G been reappointed at Frankston as there womens coach has.

Reply #500695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simon G will definitely get another crack. Women's coach signed last week - or if he hasn't its a formality after the season they had.

Reply #501079 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Brad Hill to Hobart?

Reply #501342 | Report this post

Wookie  
Years ago

Why would Hill leave his father behind?

Reply #501437 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

To follow his girlfriend

Reply #502058 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

The above reason makes sense.

Hill is very good at SEABL level would be a great pick up for Hobart

Reply #502068 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Hill is also a better fit with Wright & Masunda

Reply #502069 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

I thought wright and Masunda were retuning. George has left.

Reply #502112 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:42 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754