Hendo8888
Years ago

36ers closing in on Brock Motum and Richie Edwards

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-pushing-to-sign-kiwi-forward-richie-edwards/story-fnii09ki-1227105660433

'THE Adelaide 36ers are close to securing Boomers World Cup forward Brock Motum and also are hoping to suit New Zealand-born forward Richie Edwards in the NBL this season.

Brisbane-born Motum, 24 and 208cm, was cut this week by the NBA's Utah Jazz and is exploring his options.

The 36ers are among them.

With Joe Ingles snapped up by the Jazz, Adelaide is looking to suit Edwards while starting swingman Mitch Creek is on injury waivers.

Edwards is a 201cm New Zealand-born forward who played college basketball at Valparaiso before transferring to Arizona State.

He was a teammate at Arizona of new Hawks import Jahii Carson and also is well known to Adelaide forward BJ Anthony.'

Looks like we have a couple options we're looking at for injury replacements etc.
Anyone know much about Edwards?

Doesn't really sound like we're 'close to securing' Motum, but would be a very handy pickup for us. Would he be replacing Creek? Or DQ?

Topic #35767 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

Mystro/Macdub....can you guys shed any light on Edwards?

Reply #500353 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Given injuries to Creek and Wilson, I think there might be a bit of flexibility in how they handle it. Motum for Montreal is probably the closest like-for-like swap in terms of playing position.

Reply #500356 | Report this post

johnestuff  
Years ago

Edwards, from Arizona State, garnered Rookie of the Year in the NZ NBL this winter playing for the Christchurch Rams. He averaged 17 points per game. He top scored with 40 in one game. He has played for NZ in the University games and the U-19 World Champs, leading the scoring with about 18 ppg.

Reply #500357 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Agreed Isaac. BM and DQ seem the obvious connection.

You would think they could bring Brock Motum in for DQ if they were going to cut him. However, the injury to Creeky gives them the opportunity to bring him in on an injury waiver. However, isn't there some bylaw that if you bring in a player on an injury waiver, then he can't stay?

Could be semantics, but if they wanted to cut DQ in lieu of BM, could you cut DQ, then give him an injury waiver on MC and then release him once MC is 100%

Reply #500358 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

You'd have to think points wise as well as positions wise that Motum would take DQ's spot. SF would have to be covered by Edwards, PC and Peach at a stretch I guess?

Reply #500359 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Edwards would be low points wouldnt he?? like a 3??

So in theory they could add him as the 11th man without losing anyone.

Motum, could cover for Creek/Wilson whilst they are out then they would probably have to let someone go, probably one of there imports once they return.

Salary wise Motum may want closer to Wilsons to Montreals so it may end up being Wilsons spot despite playing different positions, which to me id be ok with even though most would prefer to replace Montreal.

A team of

Gibson/Daly
Teys/Crawford
Creek/Montreal/Edwards
Petrie/Anthony
Motum/Schenscher

Looks good to me, id be very excited to get Motum in and Edwards sounds like an interesting prospect would be keen to see how he goes, sounds decent enough to me.

Reply #500360 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

A team of

Wilson/Daly
Gibson/Crawford
Creek/Teys/Edwards
Petrie/Anthony
Motum/Schenscher

Is probably better, i was just wondering $$$ wise it may be Wilson they have to let go, and given he is injured it may be more logical to do that aswell.

Either way id love to get Motum in, a great replacement for DJ from last season!

Reply #500364 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

DQ is injured as well and lets be honest, hasnt been able to cut it thus far. At least Wilson is only out for 2 games but has been performing better. Plus, ridding Wilson makes us very light on in the guard ranks so not a good idea imo.

Has to be DQ for Motum...but I still cant see the Sixers spending the money - its not like Wilson or DQ are on the cash Motum would be commanding.

Reply #500366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Joey'a selection of DQ was wrong?

Reply #500367 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea fair enough Tornado, my only concern was DQ $$$ wouldnt be enough for Motum, but Wilson $$$ would be closer to it.

But yea on the court you are correct, be a better fit to swap out DQ,

But to me to id get Motum either way.

Reply #500368 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Motum would have to be looking at Europe first, NBL second.

Reply #500369 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon #500367...Joeys hands were tied when selecting his imports due to budget.

As a result, I dont see how anything has changed and thus why I am skeptical about Motum being a realistic chance.

Unless, Dean has had a change of heart or the Sixers have received an influx of money from somewhere?

Reply #500372 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Depending on contracts, I think they can cut an import without wearing the full cost, so the damage might be limited to Motum-Montreal, for example.

Willingness to change could be influenced by a variety of things:

- Montreal performing below what was expected
- Motum suddenly available and fits the need
- seeing how the rest of the field is performing (Hawks, Kings, Crocs, United aren't exactly dominating)
- knowing a 2-2 start is workable
- new money from somewhere

Before Motum's availability, there wasn't really an obvious upgrade available. Here it could be done with one move and without paying out a full, local contract. Maybe that's the thinking?

Get a home semi-final and that might pay for enough of the difference, for all we know.

Reply #500374 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Before the season started, there was a comment in another thread that a crowd of approximately 6500 would be required each home game to sustain a marquee. If that is the case, could it not be possible to get a sponsor yo cover just on the basis that a crowd may be just below that 6500 magic number, and he just makes up the difference.

Would that work?

Thoughts?

Reply #500376 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Motum playing NBL seems unlikely, but would love to see it if Dean can pull it off! Would put us right back in the conversation for a title I would think!

Hopefully Edwards can provide some good cover for Creek. From what I've picked up so far, he strikes me as a bit of a scorer who can hit the outside shot.

Looks like he may have made a mistake by transferring from Valparaiso to Arizona State as his minutes and games played were cut in half. Hopefully it was just a stacked roster, but not a great sign there.

Reply #500384 | Report this post

molten millie  
Years ago

Spinner if the marketing and communication improved perhaps we could have reached that number but with the current administration even us die hards are struggling to gain enthusiasm

Reply #500386 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It depends if Adelaide are making Motum a decent offer or not. He wasn't great in Europe last season so probably wouldn't command big money, and if the 36ers are in the ballpark he may prefer to play in Australia with one of his best mates.

Further to the NBL's advantage, Motum would know he will get more opportunities to succeed here and the NBA is taking notice of this league.

Reply #500390 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Isaac....there would be plenty of upgrades available for Montreal, they may not be obvious but there would be plenty out there. Montreal not cutting the mustard...that was obvious to 90% of fans before the season started, why was it not obvious to management?!

I still think the Motum signing is very unlikely so should it not eventuate will management still consider a replacement for Montreal?

Reply #500391 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Re Edwards, he's a talented scorer who has had big question marks about his attitude.

Reply #500393 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Paul, agreed...the thing favouring the Sixers is the fact that he will get plenty of court time to be able to work on his game where as he may not get the same opportunities in Europe. I guess it will just be a matter of money vs court time but you couldnt argue against whichever one he chooses.

Reply #500394 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Paul, how does Edwards defensive ability stack up?

Reply #500395 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

teys; 'motum has a few options and we're one of them'
schenscher; 'creek doen't need surgery and will be playing sooner than we thought.'

Reply #500396 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Edwards doesn't have a great reputation defensively, but I haven't seen him play for a while.

I'm not sure Motum's asking price would be massive. Certainly a stretch for Adelaide, but how many European teams will make a big offer to a guy who isn't a great defender and went 8 & 3 in Italy last season?

I could be wrong of course, but he would be such a good fit for the NBL and Adelaide as a mobile big man - where bulk is more important in Europe - and could then get a D-League gig at the end of the season to get back in front of NBA clubs.

Reply #500397 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

It would be awesome to see Brock Motum play here in the NBL, I would relish watching him...

Reply #500398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Edwards was dunking as a 13 year old could be a star in the NBL but attitude could be a problem certainly has the talent as long as he keeps a lid on his ego but I suppose that comes with being a scorer.

Reply #500401 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Edwards has signed with the 36ers. See separate thread.

On Montreal:

that was obvious to 90% of fans before the season started
Was it? Or just pessimists? His pre-season stats seemed to suggest he could serve that 12&7 role OK and have Petrie lift to fill the rest. Petrie has been sub-par too. I was happy to give him the benefit of the doubt until we'd seen him in real games.

Reply #500405 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Hard to call them pessimists Isaac when it's been proved to be correct.

I agree Petrie has been sub-par but he is a proven player. I think Petries issue is he has been asked to step up into more of a scoring role which isn't his natural game...he's more of an opportunist, getting to the right spots, picking up loose balls, rebounds etc and scoring off those.

Reply #500411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DO dominated in seal. Interesting to the the transition to NBL.

Reply #500432 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Montreal has had good and bad moments in the NBL so far. I don't think he was brought in to be a star, and I think the jury is still out on whether he can be a good role player.

Obviously if Motum is keen to play the correct decision is to move DQ on thoough, as Brock's ceiling is higher.

Reply #500434 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Peter Crawford is a passenger yet everyone see's Montreal as the issue?

Reply #500436 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mystro, Montreal is 10 points, probably on more than Crawford (close to minimum) and uses a restricted import position.

Reply #500440 | Report this post

NBAfan  
Years ago

IMO, Motum would be crazy to come to the NBL now. As much as i want it to succeed, at the moment it is still struggling. Very little air play, very little media coverage and poor marketing.

If Brock came to the NBL, i'd be afraid he'd pick up bad tricks from Schenscher who really, for a player of his size and the early stuttering interest he had in the NBA, came to the NBL and got stuck here. I don't want that to happen to BM who has the potential to make an NBA roster and to something from the bench.

Keep trying for the NBA BM, or one more season in europe for trying again.

Reply #500499 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

NBAfan. James Ennis says Hi.

Reply #500505 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And Patty Mills. He'd wave if his arm wasn't in a cast.

Reply #500508 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:28 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754