Dazz
Years ago

How best to use Earnest Ross

Gleeson said in a recent article that it would probably take him a while to figure this out.

(For the record, yes, its a massive loophole. His parents were in the US Navy and so he was born in Guam. But if not for that loophole, he probably wouldn't be playing professionally, and if you read his life story it seems like he and his family deserve a break.)

He's an unusual build for a basketballer. Absolutely massive across the chest and shoulders, very powerful. He's actually lowered his playing weight since arriving. However he's not exceptionally tall for somebody so big.

He's exactly the kind of player you can imagine player as a PF at High School or in a smaller league, and monstering with his strength.

On the Cats roster, he's closest to Beal in height, but weighs as much as Jervis.

His minutes have varied wildly this season, generally more dependent on others playing fortunes, as he's usually the 4th player off the bench. And he'll drop to 5th once Hire comes back.

He likes going in hard to the basket, and seems to me to be more comfortable inside. (His outside shooting is ok, without being brilliant.)
Obviously he's giving up several inches to most forwards.

So, should they keep working on his outside game so he can make a better guard? Or should they try to use him as short (but incredibly strong) SF?

Topic #36128 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Going on the lack of minutes, I could see them just letting him go when the opportunity arises. From what I've seen of his play, he doesn't really seem like a Wildcat type, whereas U'u and Beal (as other relative newcomers) seem to buy in.

Do Wildcats fans see more in him?

Reply #507386 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

He has some great moves, and can really light things up. He shows promise but is struggling in his role. He doesn't really look "comfortable" as a guard, and his outside shooting is what you'd expect from a Centre. IIRC he's around 27% from 3-point range.

Reply #507400 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

i wouldn't expect a centre to shoot 27% from three.

Reply #507406 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"i wouldn't expect a centre to shoot 27% from three."
Haha.
For the record, Knight has made 1 from 3 this season! :-)

But yes, you don't expect your centre to put up many from that range. Thing is you certainly expect a 2-guard to put them up, and Ross does but not that well.
As I said, he does ok, I think slightly better than the team average, but better is expected from a guard.

Reply #507409 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

As he is a local would any of the SEABL or state league teams take him on?

I could see him being a beast at that level below the NBL.

Reply #507432 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Ross looks like a slasher type.

He looks like he would be more suited to a more uptempo team.

I can't imagine playing the Perth brand of basketball would be easy for someone like him.

The ball movement is terribly slow, they rarely get trans buckets and take a while to get into a set, they get a lot of inside touches etc.

Reply #507444 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"As he is a local would any of the SEABL or state league teams take him on?

I could see him being a beast at that level below the NBL."
Yes he would. With his strength he could play well as a SF (or maybe even PF?) in a lesser league.

However, from what I read about the guy, I imagine he's sending money home to his Mother & younger brother. Not sure how he would fare financially in a lesser Australian league.

Reply #507458 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

He's pretty handy as a threat in transition.

Reply #507461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats already used Ross the best way they could - by using his Oceania designation. they is so smart

Reply #507464 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@Dazz I guess if he doesn't have other opportunities to work/play in the NBL off season why not at least earn some money playing in a state league?

A large number of current NBLer's do to help make ends meat plus might help him stay front of mind and get another gig in the nbl next year.

Reply #507466 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

**I think he might have signed a 3 year deal? So state league could fit pretty well to earn extra cash.

Reply #507467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must be nice getting paid a full time equivalent pay for six months then having another six months to earn extra cash or chillax. No wonder NBL clubs bleed money.

Reply #507470 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Get him over to Adelaide, he is wasted in Perth due to the inept head coaching. I rate him highly, Very solid college career at a great school, would do well under Joey.

Reply #507498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He cant play state league or SEABL as a local

There is no rule to allow that to happen.

Marvin BS'd his way through this alleged rule with Clarke taking full advantage too

Kiwis cant play as locals in Australian domestic comps, just like Aussies cant play as locals in NZNBL

Reply #507516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Must be nice getting paid a full time equivalent pay for six months then having another six months to earn extra cash or chillax. No wonder NBL clubs bleed money."

That makes no sense.

"He cant play state league or SEABL as a local
There is no rule to allow that to happen.
Marvin BS'd his way through this alleged rule with Clarke taking full advantage too"

Absolutely untrue. Stop reading Boti's shit and passing it off as fact.

Reply #507522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is fact

Go and ask locally if a non Australian can play as a local

Reply #507547 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Richard Dickel is a Kiwi coaching in Adelaide with vast connections throughout NZ Basketball

He was told that he couldn't not suit NZ citizens as locals

Reply #507549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ross could play in nz league as a local like Wesley and Marques whippy.

Reply #507551 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't think you can blame it Marvin BS'ing. Either the rule exists (at NBL level) or it doesn't.
I've already acknowledged that it was exploiting the rule, however Ross WAS born in Guam, and apparently being born in Oceania allows him to play as a local.
NZ born players certainly DO play in the NBL as locals.
If he was your usual import quality, I'd be embarrassed by this, but he's not.

Anyway, my question was how you use somebody of his somewhat unique build.

Reply #507552 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

NZNBL isnt SEABL or state league now is it

Reply #507553 | Report this post

Antsy  
Years ago

He needs to be used as Chris Blakemore, Mark II.

Reply #507554 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:50 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754