Anonymous
Years ago

Goorjian leader of the pack

Mel Utd is crossing their fingers in hope of securing a head coach for the 2014/15 season to replace Dmac despite him doing servicable coaching job since replacing Anstey.

The clubs and key players continue to deny the rumour despite everyone in the NBL community well aware of coaching vacancy Dmac is keeping warm.

It is expected there will a decision from 1 of 4 candidates, 2 australains & 2 americans(NBA experience) by the end of january 2015. The announcement will be held back until the end of the NBL season out of respect to Dmac and the players.

Topic #36156 | Report this topic

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

So that's for the 2015/16 season then, not the current season? I hope for Melbourne's sake they can maintain the majority of their current roster, as they will not come close to Perth/cairns/NZ without better coaching.

Reply #507868 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Disappointing for Dmac as people like Dmac.

Dmac has a good feel for the game..only reason he isn't getting the gig has more to do with prep work/organisation stuff.

Wonder if untied get an ex NBA coach they head down the analytics pathway? Could be first in NBL team to really do so and it could be very interesting...

Reply #507872 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Whos the other assistant apart from Mitchell?

Reply #507873 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

I hope the rumors about him replacing Cotter are true.

Reply #507874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Roster wise they don't need Walker and Worthington and Barlow and Odigie.

Reply #507875 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

So is the 2014/15 year in OP a typo if they're going to wait until the end of the season to announce it?

Is it just me or does Dmac just look defeated/not interested in pre-game interviews? Even his comments about not being called "interim coach" seems like he's just treading water until a new guy comes in...

Reply #507880 | Report this post

Josh  
Years ago

i like DMAC, but not as a head coach, dosent seem to know managge rotations etc on court and matchups, is it true utd were trying to get mike dantoni? if brett brown was fired i could see him possibly coaching

Reply #507889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Dmac has a good feel for the game..only reason he isn't getting the gig has more to do with prep work/organisation stuff." Thats a new discovery?and being likeable isn't a pre requisite either.

Reply #507890 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I hope the rumors about him replacing Cotter are true.

I missed this first time reading, what rumours are those? The ones that are based in no real fact and by old school fans that don't realise that Goorj really doesn't have any ties to Sydney? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see what he could do with this team (with most of the players), but really can't see it happening...

Reply #507891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett Brown won't be fired. He is doing exactly what the owners/gm want him to do.

D-Mac doesn't seem like a good communicator. I think he would be best working with players especially guards one on one instead of trying to get his point of view across to the full group of players.

Tiger Watcher - You'd be suprised at the level of analytics used in the NBL. Most teams play a more analytic style then the Lakers and Knicks. While they don't have the budget to have full teams of people working on that stuff, most teams would have one assistant with a very analytical focus.

Reply #507893 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

D-Macs timeouts are cringe-worthy when he brings out the magnetic whiteboard. He has confused himself on a number if occasions iv watched United on tv.

I agree with 893, regarding his best-suited role.

Reply #507908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BB is indeed doing what he has been ask to do. Develop a side and unlike most basketball sides around the world let's hope he gets the chance to finally deliver on what was agreed he would be allowed to do.
Develop a side that will take years. Not months.

Reply #507910 | Report this post

Long term fan  
Years ago

Have watched Brian Goorjian closely and he is a great training and game coach.
But he has also been associated with a number of teams going broke.
I'm not sure his program is sustainable in the Australian NBL. Maybe at United where the owners have deep pockets.

Reply #507917 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I thought Goorjian was being lined up for the new (returning) South (East) Melbourne team.

Reply #507919 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Tiger Watcher - You'd be suprised at the level of analytics used in the NBL."

Agree completely with this, but I suspect TW was talking about the level of use of advanced stats.

As it is, NBL clubs are incredibly analytical on the areas that actually cause the stats, ie teams and players' tendencies in certain situations and with different line-ups.

I imagine NBA clubs rarely get to go into that detail during the regular season given how little time they have to communicate it to players between games, but would definitely do so for playoffs.

It was interesting chatting to one player who arrived in the NBL and had a great start. He dismissed the idea he would soon have to evolve his game given the level of scouting, then promptly saw his production fall away markedly.

Reply #507926 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Question Paul,With the level of live statistical data available during game why do assistants sit there scribbling notes. Is it to justify there existance? Wouldnt an iPad be better?

Reply #507930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The old phurhy of Goojcausing teams to go broke surfaces yet again..... Ho Hum.

Reply #507931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you think its safe to rely on the "live" statistical data being accurate at any point in the game?

Reply #507932 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Happy Days, I would imagine their key indicators aren't on the box score.

Reply #507933 | Report this post

Peterjohn  
Years ago

Anon - while association is not causation, it can aid in forecasting. Personally, I think it's more likely owners spending like drunken sailors threw heaps of money at buying a winning team and then at buying a winning coach who placed a high price on his services. The end result being they paid more than their business model could afford, long term. So, not Goorjian's fault per se. Nonetheless, it may mean that hiring Goorjian is a sign of a high spending ownership team, which may suggest risk to long term viability.

Reply #507935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. I have never heard so much crap."The end result being they paid more than their business model could afford, long term" Where we you when Goorj was last at the Kings and the FIREPOWER business model couldn't sustain the spending on a basketball team.

What about Eddy Groves business model too, The used car salesman in Cairns? Oh Blaze too?
Far from all Goorj related but simply the facts are that they were run essentially by people of dubious repute, spending anyone else's money but their own.

Reply #507936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings didn't have a business model. Tim Johnston was a crook and Firepower was a scam. Nothing to do with Brian, please get your story right.

The Magic and the Giants merged out of necessity. The Titans ownership pulled out and they became the Giants which was a disaster under Fiddes - again, not Brian's fault. The Dragons were backed with Visy money and withdrew once the title had been won and they didn't agree with the direction of the NBL. Again, Brian not involved.

It's arguable he's the best coach Australia has seen in any sport. Considering how Brett Brown and Andrej Lemanis have performed as National Head Coach, Goorjian's time with the Boomers was outstanding.

Reply #507943 | Report this post

Peterjohn  
Years ago

Agree that Goorjian is one of the best coaches we've seen in the NBL. I saw how he did in his early years with Nunawading and was impressed back then. At that time, he was doing it a club based model with relatively low budget teams. His subsequent success as a coach confirmed his abilities.

The explanations above, re Brisbane and Sydney, describe high spending ownership models that proved unsustainable when the money ran out (i.e., their other businesses failed). My hypothesis is that such teams were more likely to fail while the owners were also more likely to (want to) hire Goorjian as the best coach available.

That's how you get association with team failure without being the cause.

Reply #507947 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@Paul - as per what your said I meant in terms of the Advanced stats and PER etc plus game structure around certain types of play.

i.e FT's/Cnr 3's/no mid range shoots etc

Some teams appear to be heading in this direction other still play games in which they shoot only 13-18 3's per game which is a relatively low number.

The scouting in the NBL is top class as the time between games allows teams to scout in depth to a level most leagues/coaches around the world can't

Reply #507948 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

As a Wildcats fan, Goorjian has always been one of those coaches we love to rag on, but you can't deny his credentials.

Reply #507952 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As well as the length of time between games (most European leagues also play once a week) it's that we only have seven opponents to scout and clubs play each other four times (where in most Euro comps it's twice).

Daniel Kickert wrote a bit about that difference here:
http://nowgamerz.com/player-piece-daniel-kickert.html

Reply #507960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It was interesting chatting to one player who arrived in the NBL and had a great start. He dismissed the idea he would soon have to evolve his game given the level of scouting, then promptly saw his production fall away markedly."

Scottie Wilbekin?

Reply #507971 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:42 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754