Carts
Years ago

BJ Anthony's replacement at 36ers?

According to Boti on the paper today dean Parker has ruled out both DQ and Edwards so where to now and what points do we have up our sleeves

Topic #36232 | Report this topic

brett  
Years ago

Not amazing news as the only other decent replacements would be gruber and DJ and Geuber will end up at Perth while the latter is just a dream.

Reply #509283 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

We would have to win the rest of our games and have other games fall in our favour, seems highly unlikely we can finish fourth, particularly since we have Perth to face

Reply #509288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if they bring DJ in we are in with a chance. but doubt it will happen and doubt we can finish 4th. too many things need to fall our way however in saying that Perth down to 7 and trying to fit in a replacement could work in our favour, but then again could work in Melbourne's favour as well. Annoying that we are in this position, just a meh season.

Reply #509293 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Thats the whole point of bringing someone decent in. With the CURRENT team, no they can't go much further than being competitive, but with the right addition, the team can go very deep.

Reply #509297 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Kobe24, that right addition is probably DJ. But its never going to happen.

Will be interesting to see who, if anyone, they go for.

Reply #509313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A cheap import as a diamond in the rough? Montreal would be good if can afford

Reply #509315 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bringing in a new player this late can do more harm than good sometimes. Adelaide have more than enough talent, so unless a great option comes up sticking with the group that's rolling might be the smart thing to do.

Ladder over the past 5 rounds (with the 36ers playing 6 of 7 against the top four):

New Zealand 7-1
Cairns 6-2
Adelaide 5-2
Perth 3-3
Melbourne 3-4
Townsville 2-5
Wollongong 1-5
Sydney 1-6

Reply #509316 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

If you need a replacement they have to come in and compliment the existing roster.Happy to do whatever the team wants that why i think Gruber would be ba good fit.

Reply #509322 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree with that. He'd fit almost any team.

Reply #509323 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Hey if you can get DJ great, if not, my main point is you gotta get someone... ANYONE! A shooter, a rebounder a guy who just give you 5 hard fouls and can intimidate. But the team as is, is not complete and as well rounded as they were with BJ in the mix.

Reply #509326 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Hate to point out the obvious but if DJ was available he would have been playing from the start of the season. Why talk about getting him now - doesn't he have another gig?

Reply #509327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's because he's struggling in Poland.

Only averaging 5.9ppg & 2.5rpg

Reply #509330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ was in Europe, I heard not getting a lot of minutes etc. he might fit for a '6 week' period would still be rated low?? due to already being an Adelaide player or he could come in as Marquee, who knows, would already know the team not vastly changed from last season and the venue and the coaching staff. but it would all come down to availability, $ and cap.

Reply #509331 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Would be silly to sign DJ as a marquee for the rest of the season unless you could sign him for next season too.

Reply #509334 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Wasnt there a rumour at the end of last season about DJ and Dean not getting along...any truth to that?

Reply #509339 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Why would it be silly to sign DJ, if you could, just for whats left of this season, knowing you couldn't get him next.... With star players don't you take them when available for as long as you can get them. DJ isn't being paid consistently either, so just goes to show the difference with European leagues!

Reply #509342 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

@KET:

We would have to win the rest of our games and have other games fall in our favour,

If you win the rest of your games, you'll be 17-11 and potentially finish top three. It's not anywhere near as bad as you're claiming.

Reply #509344 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

We need 3 more wins than Melbourne to finish top 4 (Melbourne have the season split and percentage on us, so if it's even on wins, they make the playoffs).
So we don't have a lot of room to move.
Teams come from our position to make the playoffs fairly regularly (usually Wollongong), so it's doable.
Guess we have to work out whether we're better off with what we have, or whether we need to make a change to get it done.
Gruber would be a good like-for-like replacement for Anthony, and would be a reasonably smooth transition, being the player he is. If Perth don't grab him, hopefully we do.
Don't think we need to bring in an import, unless it's a known quantity, or someone that's too good to refuse.
I wouldn't be too against just upgrading Johns to the 10 and playing him spot minutes. Running predominately an 8 man rotation. But Gruber would be the priority for mine.

Reply #509359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last I heard Gruber was back 'home' in the US.

Reply #509360 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I somehow can't see DJ ever being back in a 36ers uniform. I haven't heard of any rift between him and Dean Parker, but the fact is that unless he can get a release from his current contract with Stelmet Zielona Góra then he is simply unavailable. And if he ever did come back to the NBL to play I could see Perth going after him. Matt Knight is a good centre, but damn is he injury prone. And its not like the Wildcats couldn't use a 6'11½" centre with DJ's proven ability in the NBL.

Besides, Perth would be more attractive to DJ since that's where his family is.

Reply #509366 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Why not get an import? A good stretch 4 big would be handy

Reply #509371 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

STARLING !!!

Reply #509372 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Samuel Dalembert's available

Reply #509385 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

DJ's mate and Manager is involved at West Adelaide Bearcats hence his off season games with them.

Reply #509387 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gruber was fishing off Wollongong last I saw on Instagram. Might be headed back to the States down the track.

Boti:

"We're talking to someone," Sixers general manager Dean Parker confirmed.

“The whole situation is it would be pointless to just bring someone in just for the sake of doing it.

“You want to bring in someone who will make a difference, someone who will have an impact.”

With only one import spot taken — by Saturday’s match-winner Jamar Wilson — Adelaide has scope for a big man import.

The club now definitively has ruled out revisiting previous import Daequon Montreal and Richie Edwards.

Reply #509395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By the sounds it's going to be a big man. Simpson or maybe Williamson? Already been around the club.

Reply #509397 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

We do need someone to provide some front-court depth. Would be hard to integrate a major piece at this point though. I'd expect them to go for someone experienced who can find his feet quickly and not disrupt the team too much. Gruber sounds like the right option. I wouldn't mind seeing DQ get another crack, but it seems he has been ruled out. Not sure what other options there are? Is Trueman still on a roster somewhere?

Reply #509400 | Report this post

Blitz101  
Years ago

Aubrey Coleman is following Parker on Twitter could be a import they are looking for

Reply #509402 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Aubrey Coleman is a 6'4" shooting guard currently in career best form in Turkey. Is that what SIXERS need to fill a big spot?

Reply #509413 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I think they need a gun shooter, Teys seems to have lost a bit of confidence and Gibson barely shoots anymore.
Bring in a 3pt SF, Peach, Luke and Motum can cover the big spots.
For short periods they can go run and gun with Creek at the 4 depending on match-ups.
This would also be good for the full-court press they keep persisting with.

Reply #509420 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Sixers need someone they can give the ball to with teh ability to create their own shot and get a score when things dry up...I dont think the position played is all that important.

We are still pretty well covered in the bigs;
Schenscher, Motum, Peach, Creek, Crawford...

Guards are a bit lighter;
Gibson, Wilson, Teys, Daly

I think a guard is needed more with Teys to share a bit more time at SF with Creek.

Reply #509422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Aussiebballer Crawford is the only knock down shooter. A 3 and d guy which have been the Sixers two biggest problems this year.

Reply #509423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teys and Gibson don't shoot are lacking confidence shooting due to one guy who.... ahh stuff it no point continually stating the obvious!

Whatever the team does, they are one important cog down and need to bring someone in. This needs to be done asap...

Reply #509425 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Sulemain Braimoh..?

Reply #509439 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Diamon Simpson would be perfect but I am really curious to see what John Williamson has got.

Reply #509444 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Do we know when an announcement is likely? He really needs to suit this weekend, next round at the latest as he needs to play 7 games and we only have 9 left with 2 this weekend.

Reply #509451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sixers need to open that wallet of theirs and get a stud import!! This would be the perfect opportunity to get some interest back into their otherwise boring season.
I can remember a few years ago we bought in a import by the name of Julius Hodge for the last 7 games and the excitement that came in those last 7 rounds was at the same level to when we were winning championships!!

Get the city of Adelaide talking basketball again! If decide to get a role playing Australian I think I will throw up!!
We need to make a splash if we have any hope of making the playoffs and getting a stud import is the only way to do that!!

Reply #509463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the fact that DQ has been ruled out means they are either spending more on a stud import or going real cheap like a Trueman etc... guess we will find out soon

Reply #509466 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I believe they could be spending on this one..?

Reply #509476 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

AJ Ogilvy - DJ, BJ, AJ- might as well stick with the theme..

Reply #509501 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:21 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754