Anonymous
Years ago

Brisbane Bullets to return

According to Boti.

Can someone please explain the following quote from Boti?

Who is contacting these uncontracted players then ?

"The word among players not contracted for next year is a certain six-time NBL championship winner has been ringing players and making inquiries as to their availability next season.

And no, it isn't David Stiff doing the calling.

And no, it isn't CJ calling on behalf of the Brisbane Spartans he will coach in the 2015 SEABL competition.

You can smell a whiff of Perth Wildcats about this, or perhaps Czar Nicholas the Marvellous in his soon-to-be-ousted capacity as NBL Chairman."

Topic #36242 | Report this topic

A  
Years ago

If Brisbane return, Gibson will be a Bullet in season 2015/16.

Reply #509508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Six time NBL Championship winner"

Brian Goorjian ?

Reply #509509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marvin will run it. The old NBL makes these new people look like arse clowns.

Reply #509510 | Report this post

crocsfan  
Years ago

cj bruton?

Reply #509511 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Well he said it wasn't Stiffy or CJ, there's no-one else left that would fall into that category, is there?

I for one would be very disappointed if it was, even if I DO admire the thinking behind it...

Reply #509514 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Not Gibbo !

Reply #509515 | Report this post

Roger  
Years ago

Phil Smyth is a 6-time championship winner.....

Reply #509516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The old NBL makes these new people look like arse clowns."

How so ?

Reply #509517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In that quote Boti didn't say it Wasn't CJ Bruton just not CJ calling on behalf of the Spartans.

Reply #509518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Boti doesn't want a team from Brisbane any more...

Reply #509522 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

You would think that as a journo he would actually break a story if he had one. He never does. More like a leader of the cheer squad than a journo.

Reply #509528 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Maybe Boti is referring to the Perth Wildcats as the six-time championship winner?

Reply #509530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should go after Goulding - local boy - hard. Then Motum and Teys.

Reply #509532 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Strong word around is BA are happy to let the current NBL over extend and die a natural death.

Brisbane will be underwritten by the rest of the league....as will Adelaide moving forward.

Reply #509534 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Motum is contracted to Adelaide next season Anon #509532.

I'm not convinced losing Gibson would be such a bad thing either.

Reply #509538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, I gather he is suggesting that Nick Marvin is ringing out of contract players to ask if they are keen to play for Brisbane. If the league is running the team, what other option do they have? Not ringing players?

Boti wants a bet each way. He wants the Brisbane team to fail so he can blame Marvin. He wants Marvin to get the Brisbane team across the line so he can point the finger at him for his apparent conflict of interest. Its getting beyond ridiculous.

Reply #509540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorjian won 6 titles?

Reply #509541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it's Goorjian, why does he mention the "whiff of Perth" in his blog?

Reply #509542 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

Goulding is from Tasmania.... not a real local... yeah he played his basketball before joining the NBL in Brisbane/QLD but he is from Tasmania... ditto gibson...

Reply #509543 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Paul, I gather he is suggesting that Nick Marvin is ringing out of contract players to ask if they are keen to play for Brisbane."

That's kind of what I was hinting at. Anyway, I don't care who rings who, who puts in what or anything else, as long as the league gets back into Brisbane successfully and the league is able to get onto a more secure footing over the next couple of years.

Reply #509544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, so I can't work out why the article is another reason to fire potshots at someone who is actually making that happen.

Reply #509546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

guess they'll replace Townsville.......

Reply #509548 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

There is no "apparent " conflict of interest if Marvin is involved. It IS a conflict of interest. Marvin can not be signing off on two team's player recruitments.

Imagine the scenario.

"Hi Gibbo / Bubbles / Brock/ Wortho its Nick here I wanted to talk to you about playing for Brisbane..... for 10k more would you like to play for Perth?"

Perception is reality and so the only way for it to be done with clarity is that Marvin can not be involved.

Big picture as Paul suggests is getting Brisbane back in

Reply #509549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought it was fairly clear that Boti was referring to CJ as the 6-time championship winner.

Reply #509551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stiff is employed with Collingwood football club afaik. I doubt he would have any inclination to coach what so ever as well.

Reply #509552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor Boti must have had his feelings hurt. He's sounding a little defensive in today's blog

Reply #509554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Kent, that is a scenario. There is also the scenario where he keeps the two entities separate and, with assistance from others at NBL HQ or on the board, does his best to ensure the Brisbane team is viable AND does its bit to improve the league's profile.

You can't say "perception is reality" after using an unlikely and hypothetical scenario.

Who should be heading up the Brisbane bid from here on? Which board member does not have a conflict of interest?

Reply #509555 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Perhaps someone independent?

Reply #509556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Poor Boti must have had his feelings hurt. He's sounding a little defensive in today's blog"

And he has also pointed to another one of his opinion-filled blogs as proof that his opinion is right. Fantastic logic!

Reply #509557 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

My first guess was Smyth.

Not uncommon for potential coaches to test waters with potential players well in advance. Happens all the time.

Boti wants a bet each way. He wants the Brisbane team to fail so he can blame Marvin. He wants Marvin to get the Brisbane team across the line so he can point the finger at him for his apparent conflict of interest. Its getting beyond ridiculous.
I doubt very much that Boti wants Brisbane to fail. He's very clearly stated that he thinks the NBL should make the Brisbane news clear well in advance of the season to maximise its chances of success. And that Marvin needs to extricate himself from his current situation.

Where it gets grey and awkward (and probably with many fans) is that beyond that, if the reality is that Brisbane's funded by Bendat or Clarke or whoever, and it's the best move to secure a TV deal, then so be it. We survived (by some definition of "survived") having Adelaide and Brisbane owned by the same person previously.
And he has also pointed to another one of his opinion-filled blogs as proof that his opinion is right. Fantastic logic!
I think he referenced the other entry to show that the independence issue goes beyond just one board member:
...the rest of that controlling body to comprise Paul Bendat (son of Wildcats owner Jack - that would be Nick's boss, Jack), Richard Clarke (NZ Breakers), Steve Dunn (Sydney part-owner) and Adrian Garrone (ex-Cairns, now "independent") ...

Reply #509560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I doubt very much that Boti wants Brisbane to fail. "

Well, his blogs give that perception and I'm led to believe that perception is reality....

Reply #509561 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Go home Boti, you're drunk

Reply #509563 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Maybe I have my one eye wide open, but does anyone really care if say Bendat, Marvin or any other club owner/CEO has a part in Brisbane or any other new franchise? Isn't the bottom line that we have more teams, does it really matter where the funding comes from?

Reply #509564 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

All the fans continually asking for news/progress on Brisbane, public announcements, etc - are they hoping to see Brisbane fail? Or do people just think that a solid announcement well in advance will give the project its best chance of success?

If it's going to be run by the NBL or someone already involved with another team (and then potentially sold), they can surely make some confident choices now such as locking in the name, a date for announcement of something like logo, uniform, etc and then pick 1-2 names to be involved in some fashion (ops, community, whatever) to serve as the temporary face. Once you've locked that in, you can formalise a search for a coach and maybe an initial player (unsigned in the NBL at this point).

I'd lock in "Bullets" and name a date in month or two when the logo will be revealed, a month beyond that for a uniform. Set up a single-page website where people can lodge their email address as a fan, sponsor, etc.

Reply #509565 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Train, I think they have historically had a specific rule against it. Came up when Groves, oops, Hemmerling, bought the 36ers.

Reply #509566 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I really hope the Tasmania bid goes ahead also, would be great to see a team there again.

Reply #509567 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Anon, you see what you want to see

Reply #509568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly right, and thats why perception isn't reality.

Reply #509570 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Perception is often reality to the perceiver, I think that's the point.

Reply #509572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sensible practical decisions should not be thrown out the door just to pander to every last retarded perceiver though. That's exactly why political correctness goes wrong and goes too far as well, with bad results.
Some perceivers are just morons. It's important to factor that in.

Reply #509573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, I think Boti's last few blogs have gone just a bit beyond asking for updates on the Bullets situation.

Reply #509574 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Townsville are safe and Brisbane is 99% going to be in the league next season #nottrolling

Reply #509575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I want Brisbane to not get up, Townsville to fall over and Woollongong to struggle so those in power can confront the reality that if they want to move forward they can't do it with a bandaid fix. They should blow it up and start again.

Those in control need to have a serious rethink about how they want to present anything that resembles an Australian professional basketball league

Reply #509576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Townsville to fall over and Woollongong to struggle "

Interestingly, in the middle of last year, the Board directed Neill to take a step back from just expansion and start focusing on ensuring the current clubs remain viable. If those two clubs do fold, or come close to, you'd suggest that he failed in following that direction which would have made his position untenable.

I wonder if that reality will become perception.

Reply #509577 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Unfortunately we are very reliant on a TV deal to survive (draws in sponsors, fans, mass publicity, general connectedness for fans) and unfortunately the NBL is not a very attractive option for TV networks.

It's particularly not attractive for a TV Network to sign a deal where a city of 2 million people can be effectively ruled out from being a target market in the slot due to a lack of there being a local team.

A Brisbane team back into the NBL is more lucrative to a TV network. Add a second Victorian team, and more Victorians will pay attention, and it sets up for better rating games such as a Victorian derby.

If the NBL needs to fund Brisbane and partly fund Adelaide, and maybe Townsville (hopefully they can return to their previous stadium for a better deal), then we need other owners to be strong. Perth, NZ, Melbourne are in good financial positions and run well, Cairns and Sydney are running sufficiently by themselves and Wollongong are okay for the time being. If Cowan can bring a financially strong Victorian team, and we introduce another well run team out of Wellington by say, the Wellington Saints owners, then that's 11 teams. 3-4 of those teams utilise the marquee rule to help put money into ensuring Brissy and Adelaide survive, and it helps the league a lot.

If the NBL are going to make sure every game is produced for NBL.tv, then it makes sense for local games to be broadcasted into local areas for TV networks. There's probably more flexibility for this when there is 7mate, 7two etc.

The league should also look into more games, including midweek games and less trainings - hopefully that will bring in more money financially and hopefully the midweek games rate better.

Reply #509578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney would be bleeding money. Hawks too. Too flippant to include them in the OK basket and I would not have an idea how Melb United are travelling at all let alone anyone else here.

Reply #509580 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I think we all need to step back and think about this - is INCEPTION the reality?

Whoa - mind blown.

Reply #509581 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

7/8 teams bleed cash and the reality is that the income streams at present do not support a $1,000,000 plus salary cap

Drop the salary cap to $700,000 plus a marquee rule and you have 8/8 clubs financially viable and those that want to recruit big name players are free to spend as much as they want doing that.

Some players will be lost but other will take their place. So be it. Some players will go try their hand in Europe where the will find out they don't get paid, can be expected to travel for hours by bus on game day, stay in meagre accommodation and have limited access to support staff including medical.

Reply #509582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Drop the salary cap to $700,000 plus a marquee rule and you have 8/8 clubs financially viable and those that want to recruit big name players are free to spend as much as they want doing that."

This doesn't make any sense when supposedly teams like Wollongong & Cairns only spend around $750k on their rosters, as of last season anyway.

Reply #509583 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Things change from season to season

Hawks are spending close to the cap this season

Taipans have had a major backer go into administration so that income stream is now in need of replacement.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-03/cairns-based-skytrans-regional-airline-closes-operations/5998362

Reply #509586 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Why would the NBL need to partly fund Adelaide? If they're in financial trouble, why not consider a move to the community model? You have a lot of passionate fans to make it work.

Reply #509588 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Skytrans aren't a major backer anymore since the start of this season, so no worries for Cairns.

Reply #509590 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The salary cap should be $650K plus two 'marquee' spots, one for a local and one for an import. That way any team can be competitive in the $800K-900K range and the bigger teams can spend more to lure/keep stars that will attract/keep fans.

Teams have to show spending on marquees fits with revenue. You want to spend more? Improve your off-court operations ala Perth and NZ.

Of course, that requires an independent league HQ, something that must happen soon to avoid some situations that are unavoidable in the current model.

Reply #509591 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I like the idea of a local marquee and an import marquee, but it's not really equitable for the smaller teams (ie any team other than Perth).

Reply #509597 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Exactly Paul

Currently teams are able to spend despite themselves. They almost need to do this in order to tell their fan base that they are legit in trying to win. The NBA gives fantastic examples of the most expensive roster not being competitive. The same applies in the NBL

Look how much grief people gave the 36ers when they wrongly assumed this current roster was "budget" or "cheap"

Reply #509600 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It would work because there really isn't a lot of difference between talent levels of players available to the NBL. A lower paying team can get a similar talent for $120K to what a big city team can get for $300K.

Josh Childress is probably an exception to that rule, but he is quite a unique situation with his amnesty, experience in Euroleague and willingness to explore the world.

Reply #509601 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

The biggest expense in an NBL business is player salaries...yes they put the game on but if 2/3 teams are struggling year of year something needs to change.

Yes we might loose some of the playing depth but we might have to face reality or have no league at all if the rumours about Adelaide, Townsville & the gong are to be believed.

Most rich dudes don't like tearing up $1mil bucks every year...they are rich dudes cause they don't give it away!

Reply #509608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is wellington a possibility?

Reply #509609 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The thing is, if you make player spending more sustainable you are more likely to get expansion teams, and then the wage levels will stay at a similar level, with new players taking the increased number of smaller contracts.

Reply #509611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And thus the cream of the crop will stay in Europe, the BA/Marty Clarke model development league.

Reply #509620 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If we reduce down to the $700k mark, it makes some sense, particularly if we have expansion of another 2-3 teams. Instead of players being pushed out, they can be spread out among the teams, and younger cheapies can fill out the rest of the new roster spots.

Reply #509621 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

its a tough call, the salary cap was more than 650k over a decade ago.

Make the average player wage too low and it becomes a choice to play, far more than it is now.

Reply #509622 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think adjustments to the salary cap have to be considered, but while retaining flexibility so that the big teams can spend up on drawcards.

I've said before also that the league should consider reducing the minimum salary, but maybe have it so that a player in a lower bracket (say $20-40k) has reduced training and appearance expectations. Either save that money or put it towards name players.

Reply #509633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the arguments for cost cutting/struggling clubs;

Lets say the league agrees to put a plan in place that will see clubs aim to increase revenue and expenditure in a few years (not getting into hypotheticals about how). Some clubs don't like it, but the majority do. What happens if one club was keen to move ahead to the "expensive" way of doing things but things go wrong and they become a "poor" club.

Do they get a do-over? Do they get to change their mind and vote to hold the plan back til they get their ducks in a row, saying that the powerful clubs are putting their own self interests ahead of theirs? It seems that this is the never-ending cycle for the league - some clubs continue to fail, other clubs look to power ahead, people argue from opposite ends of the spectrum about what really needs to be done to improve the league...the league's growth stagnates.

I would have thought once BA took over (2010?) and the club owners drew a line in the sand, and every club was on the most even playing field there had been for a while, that was the final chance to be in or out. If you wanted in, you had to make a commitment for growth and expansion. If you tried but failed, thats unlucky but the rest of us are moving forward. You can't keep holding everyone back, seeking to start again just because you didn't get it right or else the NBL will be going back to the drawing board every three or four years.

Reply #509634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@anon509634 agreed it would be great if we all power on....issue is you loose 1 team and your league is pretty much done and everyone looses there investment.....

Reply #509649 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The bitterness and twisted logic of some people knows no bounds. If you want to know how to run a successful NBL club, who better than Marvin?

As for "conflict of interest," who gives a rats arse?
If the interests are indeed in conflict, the only interests we're talking about is Perth & Brisbane! So why are all the other fans getting their panties in a bunch?

The rather obvious point is that if ANYBODY has the money, resources, or contacts to put together a successful & stable Brisbane team, they are welcome to do so (and have had plenty of time.) If the NBL are going to bankroll this, they're naturally not going to hand a blank cheque to some numpty just because he's perceived to be "independent."

People are also rather naive. Even if say Marvin himself is making phone calls, the control issue would be no different if they hired a coach or CEO to do their bidding. As the Golden Rule says; he who has the gold makes the rules.
Regardless of who the front men may be, the Brisbane Bullets will be controlled by whoever holds the purse strings.

Reply #509671 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"its a tough call, the salary cap was more than 650k over a decade ago.

Make the average player wage too low and it becomes a choice to play, far more than it is now."

But the salary cap won't be $650K. That's what a team can spend on eight players, which isn't all that dissimilar to now.

Reply #509678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So when Marvin was running the wildcats before they moved into the new venue, he was the expert?
NO bitterness what so ever. Just simple runs on the board. The only reason the wildcats survive today and make a profit is because of Bendants generosity. Good on him too. To suggest Marvin is the astute businessman and knows how to do it all is utter bollocks.
The only reason that Brisbane are in and the NBL will run it is because the current NBL have possibly this ill conceived idea that having Brisbane in will help them secure better TV rights. They jumped the gun early and announced the Brisbane team will be in. Make no mistake there is no financial interest in this at all from the locals. That is abundantly clear. Now Neill left because he was tasked with selling it and he couldn't either.
The NBL now has a multi million$ millstone around their neck for no real reason. It better work is all I can say.

Reply #509689 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The only reason the wildcats survive today and make a profit is because of Bendants generosity.
It's at the crux of things but not the only reason. They've made good decisions along the way (Bevo), had success, some luck (new stadium) and generally had staff doing the right things day to day. Throwing money behind a problem doesn't always solve it well (e.g., an owner this year signing players that the coach wasn't keen on).

These clubs all need each other or they have no one to play. The exception to this IMO is losing a regional battler for a big-market team done right (Townsville for Brisbane, for example).

There are ways the league can serve both "types" of club, and the marquee rule is one. The suggestion further up of a lower cap with two marquee players is another option. As is allowing a third import - that could be used by a power club to hire a drawcard or a community club to get an affordable wildcard.

Reply #509692 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"The only reason the wildcats survive today and make a profit is because of Bendants generosity."

There is no question that Bendat's indulgence was behind their survival during the Challenge Stadium era. Nobody has ever denied that, but it's ancient history now.
The Wildcats THRIVE because they have been exceptional at engaging with the public and as a result can sell 13,000 seats to most games, not to mention merchandise.

Is Marvin the world's greatest expert on basketball teams? Presumably not. But he has seen and knows what it takes to run a successful franchise.

I'm not suggesting that he would work magic for a Brisbane Team. It may well be that his first order of business is to find them their own benefactor.
At the very least he knows that without a substantial ticketing base they will need financial assistance.

Don't get me wrong, whilst I would love to see the return of the Bullets for nostalgic reasons, I don't like the idea that it has to be done by the NBL. Furthermore, if maintaining a franchise in Brisbane becomes part of the new TV deal, it could become a massive drain on the NBL for years to come.

All I'm saying is that IF they are going down that path, then Marvin has a lot on insight to give.

Reply #509781 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The other thing to remember is the Wildcats, not so long ago, were a major sporting brand in Perth. What Marvin and staff have done very well, with Bendat's money, is recapture that position in the city and perhaps even take it to another level.

Reply #509786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Is Marvin the world's greatest expert on basketball teams? Presumably not. But he has seen and knows what it takes to run a successful franchise." Clearly he didn't when they were bleeding Jacks money and sorry its not ancient history. If the current venue wasn't available where would they be with Marvins business acumen. Broke.

Reply #509795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was savvy enough to build the profile of the team so that when the arena came along, they were ready to go and they have benefited from that. If the arena was never in the plan, I'd suggest the business plan would have been different.

Amazon lost millions per year in their first few years but they were building to something. Now how much do they turn over per annum? Do you consider their foundation CEO to be a dud too?

Marvin has benefited from Bendat's money but he also been the right person to spend it.

Reply #509796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to agree with #509795 above.
The massive turnaround in the Cats fortunes coincided exactly with external factors. i.e. the new arena opening up. Marvin had been there for a long time prior to that and the club were in the red every year.

Reply #509800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes there were external factors but someone had to be the driving force behind the success. If you think just anyone could do it then you're mistaken.

That's not to say Marvin is a genius but he is far and away the best club CEO in the league. Not sure why so many are quick to pull him back down.

Reply #509802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have no doubt that he will be able to offer a new franchise some very valuable direction.

"Hey Bullets, all you need to do is build a winning culture, make the playoffs 25 years in a row so that you still retain plenty of recognition from the golden era of basketball, make a few grand final series in a row, making sure that you win at least one of them, rort the salary and points caps, wield way too much power in the running of the league, and play your matches in a brand spanking new arena right in the middle of the CBD, and you'll be laughing!"

Reply #509805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

29 years in a row. Show some respect.

Reply #509806 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Clearly he didn't when they were bleeding Jacks money and sorry its not ancient history. If the current venue wasn't available where would they be with Marvins business acumen."

You just keep on circling back to the same old chestnut.

Melbourne have access to some of the biggest and best venues in the country, yet still play at the Netball centre. The majority of teams could have the potential to sell more seats but they can't.
Whinge as much as you want, but the fact is that Marvin has done an excellent job of building the brand and fan support of the Cats.

Plus as I said, maybe his first bit of advice to Brisbane will be "Until you can sell 8~9,000 tickets per game you need a benefactor or sponsor with deep pockets."

Reply #509809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United seldom play at the netball centre any more. Not sure where you have been for the last few seasons Dazz.

Reply #509821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From Roy Wards article today." but the league has yet to formalise that announcement or confirm how ownership of the team will be structured, nor whether Melbourne may get a second side or Tasmania may get its own team."
So pretty clearly the NBL don't know what they are doing. Wasn't the cut off date yesterday for any submissions? When did the 2nd Melb team get offered an EOI anyway?

Reply #509833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie wont be in.

Reply #509940 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe Marvin could apply Bendat money again in Brisbane and repeat the formula? Oh wait...

Reply #509944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good idea except Marvin now has TV rights priorities and recruiting.

Reply #509968 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Even though he didn't provide a huge amount of info, little updates like the interview before todays game from the new chairman are exactly what I want to see.

Reply #509996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie dead it seems.
http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/2826873/states-nbl-dream-dashed/?cs=88

Reply #510541 | Report this post

Annonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane Crocs coming up then !

Conklin and few could fill a spot or two..

Reply #510572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rename to Bullets though

has to be Bullets

Reply #510591 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"United seldom play at the netball centre any more. Not sure where you have been for the last few seasons Dazz."

Yeah I know they have moved most(?) games to Hisense. Problem is they're still only getting ~3,500 to their games.

I don't know what the break-even point is for a franchise. I suppose it depends on the rental costs and how much they're spending on overheads. Not every team has to spend to Perth levels.

I'm surprised that with the upcoming Commonwealth Games, that there hasn't been more talk of another GC team.

Reply #510597 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Melbourne have only got 3500 to midweek games, most of their weekend games have been in the 5000s.

Reply #510598 | Report this post

Animal  
Years ago

Thats not matching the Sixers yet and a much bigger population and basketball community. Should be better than that. Why ?

Reply #510600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As Dazz suggested what is the break even point. Its a great venue undoubtedly but if the break even point is say 4.5K, why bother.

Reply #510601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When did the 2nd Melb team get an EOI?

Reply #510602 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Thats not matching the Sixers yet and a much bigger population and basketball community. Should be better than that. Why ?"

Because there are basically no Melbourne United fans. It's a club without history that also has poor brand recognition. The people who come through the doors are casuals interested in seeing a game of professional hoops.

Reply #510605 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:56 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754