Isaac
Years ago

36ers confirm: Daniel Johnson signed

@deangm36ers:

It's done @Adelaide36ers
Then the club account:
DJ is back! He will play the balance of the season in 36ers blue. #36ersNation #welcomehome

Adelaide have come in from $34 to $13 with Centrebet. I got them at $17 when Motum signed and forgot to add a bit more at $34 just in case.

Topic #36286 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Still got to make the playoffs first Isaac :)

Reply #510656 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Welcome back DJ - Glad to have you back in blue!

Reply #510660 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I take my hat off to the 36ers.

Credit where credit is due.

To effectively replace Montreal and BJ Anthony with Motum and Johnson is one helluva effort.

A starting lineup of Gibson, Wilson, Creek, Motum and Johnson. They have now increased their bench depth with Petrie, Teys(or Wilson), Big Luke, Crawford.

Reply #510663 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KingJames, yes, and that's why they were $13-34. But that's still a good price for a team with a half-decent chance who recently beat Perth and Melbourne on the road, then added a former club MVP who is already familiar with most of the team.

Still every chance that they miss out or slump, but it is gambling after all.

Reply #510664 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

As many speculated, Adelaide got the deal done. Well done.

Reply #510665 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Unfortunately the article still mentions getting the clearance done before Friday.
Hope like hell it happens.

I also hope DJ is mad as hell about sitting on the bench so much and looking to smash some teams :)

Gives the Sixers a lot of options for play style.
With Gibson, Wilson, Creek, Motum and DJ they could be running and gunning.
Or they can go massive with Gibson, Creek, Petrie, Motum and DJ.

Every player except Luke and maybe Creek are 3pt threats so spacing should be great.
Wilson and Creek will love the room for drives.

Reply #510667 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Would he be paid under the salary cap?

Reply #510668 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

They can always sign him as their Marquee player if they need too.
Unless they used that on Motum?

Reply #510669 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Would be a backloaded contract I presume, much like Motums.

In the interim he will play on BJ's salary and the following year(s) will make up for it.

Reply #510670 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

The article only mentions him signing for the rest of the season.
Any one heard if it is longer then that?

Reply #510671 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Aussiebballer - at present, add Gibson to Creek and Schenscher. He hasn't been reliable from 3 point range this season and his 3-pt shooting has been abysmal (2 of 28) since Xmas. If he can fix that, the 36ers will be a much better chance to go all the way and win Isaac some money. If he doesn't, then he won't be someone other teams need to guard closely outside the 3-pt line. That said, it hasn't been a problem since he's been adding so much in other areas (his defence, playmaking and rebounding have been good) and other players have picked up the offensive slack.

Reply #510672 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson for sixth man of the year?

Reply #510674 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Yeah Gibson's offence is a major concern.
He isn't shooting much, even when open and when he does shoot it is not going in.
Wilson has stepped up and is probably taking shots away from Gibson, but it doesn't explain Gibson's lack of aggression or bad percentage.

Reply #510677 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Someone mentioned 3 years in another thread?

Reply #510679 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Isn't Schenscher out of contract after this season? Or does he have another year?

Reply #510688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out of contract, having said that, for the right money he is a very valuable guy to have on and off the court.

Reply #510689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good signing for Adelaide. Gives them options as they can go big due to Motum and DJ's perimeter ability. DJ is worth the punt on chemistry.

Reply #510693 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

DJ and Motum together could be an almost unstoppable offensive force - or they could just get in each other's way. I would like to think they compliment each other well, but I think only time will tell.

Reply #510694 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I imagine it's multi-year (heard three) and backloaded. Adding that to Motum next year will hamstring them a bit elsewhere, but I think you have to take that considering they're both potentially All-Star Five calibre players.

Not sure how they'll fit Schenscher, Petrie and Anthony into that front court though.

If Creek and Teys are contracted or stay, the logjam extends all the way to the guard ranks.

Reply #510696 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Perth cheating again!!! Bastards!!

Oh wait.... hang on a second......

Reply #510698 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

You would also think dj and Brock might have euro out so maybe that is an issue moving forward?

Reply #510701 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree Isaac, I think they'll have to choose either Anthony or Schenscher if DJ and Motum stay, and while those two are role players they're both important fits for the team.

Anthony would probably be the one to go but they'll miss him. If they can keep Gibson, Wilson, Teys and Creek to go with that frontline it will be a pretty scary offensive team.

Reply #510703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ has tried two overseas stints now not sure he would try another might be his personality suits to being where he is surrounded by family and friends.

Reply #510704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL press releases always mention years if multi-year deals so this looks like DJ has just signed for the rest of the season (no doubt handshake bigger contract agreement for next season or beyond) if so.

Reply #510705 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

BJ would be out on injury waivers wouldn't he - usually a 12 month recovery?

Reply #510710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, BJ on injury waivers (contract & points removed from the caps) but Achilles in basketball is a 9-12 month injury so given he would miss probably the first half of next season and being out of contract I think his chances of being re-signed (or signed by another team) are slim.

Reply #510713 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

Petrie will still start. DJ off the bench for the first few games at least.

Reply #510723 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Great job by Sixers ownership once again. It's not every ownership group that could or would pull off two such impressive mid-season signings!

I'd be surprised if DJ starts straight away though. We can't afford to drop any games and I think it would be better to maintain the balance the starting lineup has shown over the past month. Bring DJ in to hopefully wreak havoc against opposing backups for now.

Can't wait to see how this season pans out now! I reckon NZ and Cairns are praying we don't make the playoffs!

Reply #510739 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

You still can only have 5 on the court at the same time and there's only 1 ball to go around.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself:)

Reply #510742 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

pretty good signing especially at this stage of the season but a big who can't defend and needs the ball in his hands to effect the game doesn't curb my enthusiasm for title #4 in NZ sorry.

there is NO D in Anial Johnson.

will be interesting to see how Johnson & Mouth Motum gel.

Reply #510757 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

You know something, I would rather the club have the headache of who to possibly let go for next season than have to go searching for a player to sign. That of course is assuming that both Motum and DJ are still with the 36ers in 2015-16.

At the start of this season we had only one player (Schenscher) who was taller than 6'8" (203 cm). As it looks we are now going to have a front court with a 6'11½" centre and a 6'10" PF, with a 7'1" backup centre. In terms of height (and quality) its been a major improvement.

Though I do agree with Achtung Baby - injuries aside I think DJ will probably start on the bench for at least this weekends games until he gets back into the 36ers swing of things, and gets used to playing with Motum and Jamar Wilson.

Reply #510781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good thing your opinion won't dictate the NBL championship Mystro. To say this is a 'pretty good signing' just shows me your pissed off and a little scared. No one wants to face Adelaide in a series with this much fire power, and Motum being able to finally back up his mouth.... Enjoy

Reply #510791 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Likely pair DJ with the originals... Do you like that … THE ORIGINALS… coming to you soon… Be afraid, be very afraid…. I need a drink…….

Reply #510802 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

No one wants to face Adelaide in a series with this much fire power, and Motum being able to finally back up his mouth.... Enjoy

If NZ finish on top and Adelaide sneak into the finals we very well may see that match up and neither of our opinions will matter.

Reply #510809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the Chairman playing?

Reply #510828 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

So are Adelaide broke or not? Last week there was talk of Adelaide needing NBL assistance but this week you're signing DJ.

Reply #510836 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

DJ has been cleared to play - will suit Fri against the Hawks!

Reply #510912 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I think a sponsor helped out with paying DJ.

Reply #510920 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

he has been training here and talking to them about next season....he hopes to stay

Reply #510922 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Applaud that sponsor whoever they are!

Reply #510926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will cost us to keep him, and rightly so he a gun!!

Reply #510939 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:11 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754