rodney
Years ago

Investing in NBL memorabilia

Investing in sports memorobilia is quite popular and can often prove quite profitable with the right piece.

I have a few nbl matchworn jerseys from players such as Mark Worthington, Mick Hill, and Anthony Petrie.

Are these game worn items investment pieces? Will they rise in value over time? Are they worth more signed or unsigned? Is a COA necessary? What is demand like?

What about other items also such as game balls, shoes etc?

Any info appreciated?

Topic #36912 | Report this topic

Hoopster  
Years ago

Hahahaha

Reply #525111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe a game worn Gaze, Loggins or somebody may be worth something one day....to some one....

The pieces you mentioned are definately cool to have but not sure they will be worth a whole lot in the future. Unless the NBL goes the way of the ABA....but then again those players arent exactly DR J ...

Reply #525112 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

1995 fan jerseys (non-player worn) for wildcats players for like Grace, Fisher, Crawford, Vlaholv go for about $300AU on eBay.

At the time they probably went for about $100 brand new... so it's taken about 20 years to increase by 200%.

Reply #525114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would ask for a payment of $100 for Mick Hills jersey.

Reply #525115 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I've found that it is very hard to get your money back or make a profit. I think you just have to find the right person.

Reply #525116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The people willing to splash $300 on a mesh and cardboard Wildcats replica would be few and far between. I've collected a lot of NBL stuff over the years and when I've looked to offload it, it's not been easy. Even asking reasonable prices they are hard to move. As NBL Fan said, it's about finding that right person. Problem is, finding the right person for NBL stuff would be a lot harder than say AFL, for example. Joe Average has no idea who Mark Worthington, Mick Hill and Anthony Petrie are. Sad, but true.

Reply #525120 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

NBL merch generally wont appreciate in value. Probably not the names you listed anyways. I am a 36ers fan, and I wouldn't likely pay more than the standard 70 dollars for a signed Anthony Petrie jersey. I am a fan of the guy, good player, but it just isn't actually worth anything.

Reply #525125 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

It certainly isn't an "investment". No one thinks "Woah, I am sitting on a gold mine of Mark Worthington signed jerseys!"

Reply #525126 | Report this post

Joe Average  
Years ago

Ummm excuse me but I'm not completely ignorant.
I totally know who Sam Worthington, Adam Hills and Drew Petrie are.

Reply #525128 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I have a pretty decent Wildcats collection but in no way think of it as an investment.

You would be better spending your money and tracking down 1 NBA superstar worn / signed jersey instead of 10 NBL game worn jerseys if you are looking at it as an investment.

Reply #525140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have a Wortho sleeved jersey for sale. Its an XXL, although the sleeves are in a kids size.

Reply #525142 | Report this post

thumper  
Years ago

I have a few thousands dollars spare and looking to tuck it away in an appreciating assett.

Given my basketball interest, would it be worthwhile parking it in memorobilia?

I would be looking at Boomers game worn jerseys, and perhaps more famous nbl jerseys such as the Bullets and Wildcats. Id also be open to NBA / Euroleague if I can find a good deal.

Recently I saw some Brian Kerle game worn shoes for only $50, good buy? Tuck them away for 10 years and kaching?

Reply #525143 | Report this post

thumper  
Years ago

An ACB CAI Zaragoza Goulding jersey would be pretty cool to own also. I can see that being desirable in the future. Any advice appreciated :)

Reply #525145 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Some of this stuff would be cool to own and show from a retro point of view, especially from a club that's folded (eg being seen wearing a Giants jersey around Melbourne!)

But as far as an investment goes, I doubt it would be worth much unless you sold it to an absolute fanatic or keen collector of niche things.

Having said that, I have kept my Jermaine Beal bobblehead in pristine condition, with the box intact in the hope it could be worth something in 30 years time :)

Reply #525188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The target market is very small for nbl and with the standard not as high as in the glory days there is little to no return investing in memorabilia. Maybe some framed jerseys in the ilk of maher, gaze, boomers or championship teams would wind up on the wall in man caves or straight to the pool room.
Better of getting signed nba legends gear. I have a good dozen or so waiting to be framed. Best ones are a larry bird, Robert Horry, Dan Majerle and a Chris webber 76ers which is quite rare.
Make sure they are accompanied with a reputable authentication certificate otherwise anyone could have signed it.

Reply #525190 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I can only imagine an NBL singlet would be worth more than you paid for it if the player went on to bigger and better things, like Jingles, or Mills. But even then, I wouldn't see it as a particularly good 'investment'

Reply #525194 | Report this post

You would try and track down some ABA stuff or early greatest players like Kareem , Magic , Bird, Jordan , Wilt. Before things were mass produced.

Even a game worn LeBron or something similar would be the only sort of BBall equipment to be worth anything in the future. something rare.

Reply #525200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

buy an index fund or whiskey barrell.

Reply #525206 | Report this post

clint  
Years ago

I have a Kavossy Franklin Gong jersey signed and framed. Could I get big dollars for it? 1k?

Reply #525209 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Money's in the NBA If you're deadset keen on basketball as your investment method. Definitely not the NBL.

Reply #525214 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I'll give ya 20 bucks for it Clint.

Reply #525218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL @ the Mick Hill comment

The only NBL merchandise that is hot are late 80s/early 90s Wildcats gear. I've seen Perth supporters on eBay go feral on a few rare pieces from that era.

Another reason is the mid 90s Starter NBL official gear was tight but the rest of the NBL gear throughout league history is pretty tacky.

Other than that there is no money in it.

Reply #525227 | Report this post

clint  
Years ago

How much is a framed Gold Coast Blaze jersey signed by the entire team and coaches worth? Is from the 2008/09 season that came last or near last lol. I won it from a then team sponsor. Coach joyce, captain harvey, mvp whitehead if that helps. Other notables include justin bowen, scott mcgregor, tyson demos

(Ps this post looks like trolling i know but im deadly serious haha)

Reply #525426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebay

Reply #525491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you wash the blaze jersey and get the ink off I'm sure it would be worth something.

Reply #525562 | Report this post

Paddy  
Years ago

There are some people who collect NBL stuff. Problem is they're not willing to pay much for it to make it worth an investment. This may change though if we have a thriving national league in 20 years time though. Even then you'd need to find the right buyer willing to pay the price that would make a 20 year investment worthwhile. I've got a pretty sweet South East Melbourne Magic cap from a championship year in the mid 90's signed by Tony Ronaldson. I'd be willing to sell it for $150, but I doubt I'd be able to find anyone willing to pay that amount for it. I still have these well made club toy car/money box things still in boxes from 20+ years ago, I just checked Ebay and they now go for about $10.

I'd love to buy some more 90's jerseys particularly Magic, Brisbane Bullets, Giants for 50-70 and shorts for 30-40. But anyone who still has them is not likely to sell them for that price.

Reply #535225 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

In sports memorabilia, there's high quality stuff that will always appreciate in value. But its expensive to buy initially, and there would be nothing like that in the NBL.

Your only chance in the NBL, would be to gather a lot of cheap stuff early, get it signed for free, and hope that in the future you might offload a few pieces at a modest.

You need to remember that most stuff sold as memorabilia is almost guaranteed NOT to be collectable because they make so much of it.

Reply #535543 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

I've got Scott Fishers signed White GF singlet ....I would think $500 but only because Perth's fan base has more $ than cents

Reply #535559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL memorabilia is worth money? I think not.

Reply #535579 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:04 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754