Baller#3
Years ago

What do referees get paid?

Just wondering what the pay per game for umpires is like for various comps?
social, Church, district etc.

Topic #37116 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

11 dollars a game for district if above entry level, I think.

Reply #529175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know for social it is a least 20 bucks at Morphett Vale.

Get 1.5x if you ref by yourself...

Reply #529177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is not 20bucks

Reply #529188 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Social at BSA comps is $13.30 for Level 1. Just went up from $13. First increase for 4 or 5 years.

Reply #529191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are social umpires required to have training/badges etc?
They umpire A LOT different to any district games, and quite often call consistently soft fouls or do not call the 8 second back court rule etc.

Reply #529192 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

I think you'll find that most social umpires have some certification although many have taken a less serious path and/or have their best days behind them. Bear in mind they could make more at a fast food outlet or $15+ a game at non BSA or $20 - $40 per game at a school, some perspective should be maintained. And you'll often get 40 - 50 fouls in a district game, 20 - 25 in a social, normally less and most teams say they play for fun & exercise, not for 8 sec backcourt technicalities.

Reply #529196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$14.30 for social
$13 for junior dist
$17 for shot clock
$15 for senior dist
$18 for youth div 1 or reserve
no clue about premier league

Reply #529201 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

It is a great way to earn a dollar and get some fitness at the same time.

However, when it goes wrong and refees have to put up with dessent, violence, ejections or reports and tribunals one does start to wonder about the amount of dollars being offered...

Reply #529204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where do you get paid $17 to operate the shot clock?

Reply #529209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paid to do shot clock what a laugh not in SA you don't.

Bear, abusive parents, no amount of money on this earth is worth putting up with abusive parents.

Reply #529213 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon, I agree, I have observed abusive parents, players and spectators. On the other side I have observed some great officials, some very good and level headed ones, but unfortunately as human nature would have it some arrogant and totally useless ones as well.

Could say the same about coaches, administrators and anyone else involved in basketball if we want to get off track.

The point is that we need them all and people won't do it unless they are paid something.

There are worse jobs out there than officiating a game of hoops, but I would challenge the abuse level of say a parking officer at the local city council with that of the referee!

No excuse for these actions, but they are abused much more often than ref's...

Reply #529215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But the problem is cyclical, we get refs in, we train them up to a reasonable standard, give them the frame work on which to launch to the next level. But the unfair criticism they get hurled at them from one eyed feral parents, who think it is their god given right to hurl abuse at the ref whether it be football, soccer, netball or basketball makes many give it away. I hear you about the parking inspector, or the policeman and there are good and bad in all facets of the game but we bleed referees for every 5 we put in the system 4 have walked away within 12-18 months because of the abuse. The can call the refs disgusting vile names and call them cheats and leave feeling vindicated that they have been screwed over but lo and behold anyone who would like to point out their child or team shot at 20% or made more turnover than points. to them it is clearly the referee's fault or the coaches fault, never theirs, never their child's it is these people who jostle and bump them on their way out the door, the ones who follow into carpark talking about the ref like they aren't there. They are the ones making people give the game away. Ergo we start again, and therefore the referee's are still learning and will make mistakes due to inexperienced they have been put into a level that may really test them but there is no level of ref above them because they have voted with their feet and left and soon these poor souls will join them.

Reply #529235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as many ref quit these days due to mismanagement by BSA as those that quit due to abuse.

Lack of pay would be the biggest factor,my son gets $75 a game to referee soccer, gee wonder why he quit refereeing basketball for $10 a game.

Reply #529262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

refereeing soccer is a good earner for teens playing or interested in the sport. Better value for time spent then a Maccas job.

Reply #529266 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

I earned about $-6 when I did Rec League in Sydney

Reply #529294 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Perspective is important when making comparisons, a soccer game is much longer and has only one referee supportd by linesmen so you not only have to do the job for twice the time, but you have much, much more responsibility.

In soccer you also have more players to control and I don't think you could manage more than one game in a day. By the time you have kicked up your heels after a tough slog on the soccer pitch, your basketball referee may have done three games and pocket about $40.00 - $50.00 depending on the level and standard.

Yes, soccer probably pays more, but if we are going to compare, why not try and be reasonable about it?

Reply #529295 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Oh, forgot one other very important factor about soccer referees.

They are much more likely to be abused, cursed and threatened probably 5 times worse than any basketball official would experience.

Don't forget this fact about the round ball game and how violent spectators can be guys...

Perspective!

Reply #529296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a tough gig really, as a kid you can earn more money working at Maccas or Coles and you don't get abused for trying to do your job.

How many abusive parents coaches or spectators would tolerate their child being treated the same way at Maccas?

I bet none, yet they still do it.

Reply #529307 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Bear,

Yes, but soccer and footy refs also get to stand a lot further away from the abusive parents, which helps

Reply #529409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this thread would make sense with an extra question mark in the title.

What? Do referees get paid?

Reply #529441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear, games are not longer at junior/local level. End of the day, basketball is run to make a profit, other sports look after those that make the games happen.

Reply #529444 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:46 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754