Anonymous
Years ago

The Return of Jawai

I must say this to me was a very impressive insight into the Jawai return to not only basketball but international basketball. I had no idea how badly he had been hurt and the tough path he has trod to get back into the game.
Read here.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/luc-longley-andrej-lemanis-inspire-nate-jawais-australian-boomers-return-20150813-giytjr.html

Topic #37719 | Report this topic

GWB  
Years ago

I read that earlier today and immediately felt bad for criticising his recent Boomers form. I liked that he had a few nice plays today, and was probably more influential than Andrew Bogut funnily enough

Reply #543490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking about Jawai Damian Martin was on radio in Perth today and said Jawai will be playing in the NBL this season to get into the olympic team and that Perth aren't offering the biggest deal.

Reply #543494 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Well good on him, then. Jawai actually showed a few glimpses tonight. If he can get in some good shape he could be useful for us.

Reply #543495 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

What other teams have roster spots/points left to fit him in??

Are other clubs considering letting a import go to fit him in??

Reply #543521 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am not sure, but isn't the talk him going to Perth?

Reply #543524 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Unless Perth do another last minute dodgy* points re-shuffle, they can't fit him in under the points cap...

* - by "dodgy" I mean either re-rate a Boomer down to 8pts when he's already a 9, or re-rate someone else on the team (half of which are already on at least 2 less) once the deadline has passed or do the old sack an existing player route of which they already seem to have cut all the deadwood, so this is unlikely...

So really, an existing team might have to cut an import, or perhaps Adelaide will be looking at picking up more crumbs once every other team has been filled?

Reply #543527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many points would he be/ is he?

Reply #543528 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Nate is a 9

Reply #543530 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Who could fit him in? I thought it would def be Perth? Could Adelaide fit him? Would be a good replacement for Schensher.

Reply #543532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Piss weak

Reply #543539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure most teams would cut a scrub for him if he picks them.

Reply #543541 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Do Wollongong have the points? And do NZ need a replacement while Pledger is out?

Reply #543548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He also did well at world champs if memory serves me. I personally would like to see him in the league in terms of entertainment with his size and power. Obviously needs to work on his fitness and hopefully has realized this will extend his career. I think most teams big imports that don't produce will make way for him. If Brisbane had succeeded this season he would have been a perfect addition.

Reply #543549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He also did well at world champs if memory serves me. I personally would like to see him in the league in terms of entertainment with his size and power. Obviously needs to work on his fitness and hopefully has realized this will extend his career. I think most teams big imports that don't produce will make way for him. If Brisbane had succeeded this season he would have been a perfect addition.

Reply #543550 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Jawai really needs a team that will hammer fitness and weightloss into him. If he dropped 10 kilos he could once again be very good. He certainly managed a couple of nice things tonight that took me by surprise.

Reply #543551 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

All teams seem to have a pretty solid rotation of bigs this year so not sure if anyone gets dropped to make way for jawai. Does that only leave Adelaide with a spot to fill? With Dj, Hodgson and Petrie signed jawai takes the import big spot and with dj being able to spend some time as mobile 4.

Reply #543563 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Read the story and I feel for Jawai. The issue I have is that their is a lot of big guys who are fitter and better than Jawai.

The guy is overweight and can't defend the outside. Also, he isn't blocking out and can't stretch for balls ie Mills passed twice and Jawai was unfit to catch the balls.

Reply #543569 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

36ers are offering. Working on reshuffling players. They still want import aswell.

Jawai / Hodgson
Johnson / Petrie
Creek / Walker
Ere* / Teys
Gibson / McNeaile* / Sobey

Reply #543580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills passes were not on the money for the player he was passing to. With time and chemistry that would happen as jawaii isn't going to fly for the alley if the passes were lower he would have caught them and slammed me down.
Jawai in 5 minute spurts would have an impact.
I liked his emotion.

Reply #543581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Jawai really needs a team that will hammer fitness and weightloss into him."

Take that approach and you'll get nothing. He is who he is and you get what you get. He'll work as hard as he feels he can but if you try and "hammer" him you'll lose him. Use him the right way and there's a double/double there every night

Reply #543601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think re-rating Jawai to an 8 would be fair. Given his fitness levels and mobility, he's not going to come in and be a guy who you can build a team around.

However, as an impact player for 15-20 minutes a game he could be very effective.

If Julian Khazzouh is a 9, then I have no problems with Jawai at an 8.

Reply #543602 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Wherever he goes he'd probably want to start. Saying that I would gladly have him start at centre and slide DJ to the 4. Tom I think your line-up is just perfect and puts us back up there with the other clubs. However someone told me that Ere is just a candidate and Joey is picking out of a few shortlisted players. Would be happy with Ere though if Jawai is there.

Reply #543603 | Report this post

Khazzouh is an 8.

Reply #543604 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Khazzou is an 8 because he played in an Asian league last season.
Jawai is a 9 because he played in Europe last season.

Reply #543605 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm not sure the points add up with that Adelaide lineup.

Reply #543607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The assessment of overseas players in the points cap is obviously a weakness. I presume Khazzouh would have been a 10 prior to leaving the NBL and just because he played in Asia he's now an 8?

I don't mind the quality of a league the player came from being used as *one* guideline but surely their performance/output in that league, age, historical performance etc must all came into account.

I think a case-by-case approach is sensible for overseas players, hence why I wouldn't find a re-rating of Jawai to be "dodgy".

I don't think anyone believes that he is going to come in here and dominate the league.

Reply #543609 | Report this post

Yeah, it's crazy that Goulding can finish top three in MVP two seasons ago, disappear overseas for a year, then come back rated as a 9.

Reply #543611 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Especially when he actually went to a league better than the NBL!

Reply #543613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Right, so Jawai is worth more than Khazzouh and equal to Goulding. Way to price a guy out of your league, NBL!

Reply #543614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Khazzouh might have played in Asia instead of Europe because of lifestyle, cultural or financial reasons.

I don't believe that's reflective of him not being of the quality able to command a position in a European league, hence the "8 because he played in Asia" is a bit silly.

Reply #543616 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I think when it comes to keeping Australian talent in the country, especially a boomer, concessions should be made of a point or two. But by the sounds of Damian's interview, sounds like someone has snuck him in.

Jawai can be slow and lumbering, but he is also a look the NBL doesn't have and would cause his share of match up problems. I don't envy the guy who has to have that 140 kilo frame backed into him in the post. That has to be worth something, and certainly will be an amusing thing to witness.

I expect as his fitness improves so will his output. After learning just how that injury affected him, I no longer think of his as a player past his prime, but more like a guy who hit a massive road block but is still young enough to push through. I would find space for Jawai on the sixers if at all possible. 15 minutes of that could be an X factor. Of course he would have trouble guarding big guys with decent range, though.

Reply #543618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you've summed it up well there, GWB.

His likely output is probably an inconsistent package of inside dominance, good rebounding, foul trouble, struggles to defend non-post playing bigs. All in all I'd project 15-20 minutes of playing time, 7-8ppg at a healthy FG%, 3-4 rebs and 3 fouls per game.

Reply #543623 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He's signing, run him into shape and get 15 quality mins from him, the D will have to collapse if he's used right.

I was a big advocate of the points system, but in it's current form it serves no real purpose and should either be changed or gotten rid of.

Reply #543624 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That should say he's 'worth' signing.

Reply #543625 | Report this post

He's already in shape. Round.

Reply #543626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Jawai make the squad when Aron Baynes is available? Reading the article linked in the first post, did Lemanis make him part of the squad as part "charity"? (don't like to use that word as he can obviously still play a bit, but you get what I mean)

Reply #543627 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Probably was some charity involved, but he probably looked at the guys frame and thought "what does NZ have to compete with something like that?"

Then he would have drawn up his ridiculous offence, and Patty had to save the day - you know the rest.

Reply #543628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai should go to crocs or taipans.

Reply #543630 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Has someone got a list of available points handy?

Reply #543631 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Not sure how anyone could argue with Jawai being a 9. You could easily argue he should be a 10, but definitely not lower than 9.
He's played in big Europe leagues, played in the NBA, he's proven he can dominate this league, even as a first year rookie, 8 years ago. Sure, he's ridiculously out of shape at the moment, but he's still a consistent Boomer.
There's also no reason for Khazzouh to be an 8. So if the argument is to be made for a re-rate, Khazzouh should come up, not Jawai fall down. Khazzouh was pretty much the best player in the league the last couple years he played here, then moved overseas. He's a 9 (well, he used to be a 10), can't see any reason why he isn't.

Reply #543632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Khazzouh is a 10, then Jawai @ 9 becomes a little easier to swallow. However, I will not accept Jawai @ 9 when Khazzouh is at 8. That's laughable.

Reply #543633 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Some points ratings are ridicolous.

Jawai & Goulding 9 a piece?

Get out of here.

Should be automatic 10s.

Reply #543635 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I dont mind the idea of the re-shuffle to fit Jawai into the 36ers, would have to sacrifice one of the imports though id imagine,

A line up like this would be really good imo.

Jawai / Hodgson
Johnson / Petrie
Creek / Walker
Ere* or McNeaill / Teys
Gibson / Sobey

Id probably keep Ebi Ere as the import and go with the more proven bigger/athletic team, but wouldnt be too upset either way.

Reply #543637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai could go to Adelaide...

Adelaide lightning.. Off the bench.

Reply #543638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From a 36ers perspective I would prefer Jawai over Ere. Jawai has been playing in much tougher leagues in Spain and Turkey.

Reply #543647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you even read the article? Guess not.

Reply #543651 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

What did he miss anon?

Reply #543685 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

^ I suspect anon is referring to the article suggesting Jawai hasn't played in those "tougher leagues" for 2 years and stating that in that time he had to spend 6 months re-learning how to play at all.

I'd like to see Jawai at 36ers. He'd offer more positives than negatives and the negatives can be managed.

Like paul, I'm a supporter of the points' system but believe it's modifications have made it perverse and into more of a problem than a solution. e.g., players on long term contracts costing a club more points than if another club signed them.

Reply #543701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone explain why the points system is necessary? what does it do that the low salary cap doesn't?

Reply #543703 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

The points system should implement a rule that if a player that signs a multi year deal's point rating goes down the lower, newer points rating is applied. However if he excels and his rating goes up the lower rating is applied as a reward for a club showing faith to the player. For example:
Anthony Petrie signs a 3 year deal at an 8 rating. The first year of the deal his production drops and is classed as a 6. The newest rating is used against the points cap.

Reply #543705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happens if a player is an 8 on a team that has used all 70 points then wins MVP and scores 40 a game so gets put up to a 10? Does the NBL need to introduce bird rights where they can go over the cap? Or do they have to let a player go? What happens if every player has a multiple year deal?

Not having a go, just wondering about the logistics

Reply #543708 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I've been saying it since Hodgson and Walker were signed that we're missing a big man this year.
It makes more sense to me to get a big man import/Jawai, than another athletic slasher type like Ere. We don't know what to expect from Hodgson, if anything, and Walker isn't a legitimate big in this league. So we just have DJ and Petrie, who we'd be relying on to play at least 30 minutes per game each. Then try fill the other 10 mins.

This is a better team structure imo:
Big import(or Jawai)/Hodgson
Johnson/Petrie
Creek/Walker
Gibson/Teys
McNeail/Sobey
than this:
Johnson/Hodgson
Petrie/Walker
Ere/Creek
Gibson/Teys
McNeail/Sobey

Unless Hodgson is a lot better than I'm expecting him to be, we just don't have enough height.

Reply #543711 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Hodgson could miss start of the year with a niggling knee injury. Hendo I completely agree with you mate. Jawai is the perfect addition.

Reply #543712 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Joey Wright prefers fast to big and he's had a fair bit of success that way.

Reply #543714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ratings are ratings and if a player signs a 3 year deal as an 8 so be it. Where is the problem. So he has a great year and is a 10 point player everyone wins.

Reply #543715 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

He is not coming to Adelaide.

Reply #543716 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Where then A?

Reply #543721 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Could it be a team that's been throwing money around?

Reply #543724 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Adelaide would be a good fit but need to reshuffle points.
Cairns are stacked in the front court so unlikely.
Melbourne could happen if Ibekwe or Kicks move to the bench but have 10 players.
Perth could happen and probably the biggest threat to get him.
Sydney have the best centre and reigning ROY in his position.
Illawarra have 2 quality centres already and are full.
Townsville need talent but do they want to spend the $$$?
NZ are full and look likely to keep their core as it is.

Adelaide, Perth and Townsville look like a top 3 to me to land Jawai.

Reply #543730 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If I were guessing, I'd look at points remaining and recent history of signing big names.

Reply #543734 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

I'd be guessing if I told, but from the conversations in Melbourne last night, I'd be guessing Perth.....

Reply #543735 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Predicting where Jawai will go is a tough one. I doubt money is going to be an issue as his main drove for returning to the NBL is getting him in shape and form for Rio.
Perth would be a great fit on that basis but then there's the points issue and issue and the fact they already have Jervis and Knight. Kings and Hawks can fit him in points wise but like Perth also have their big men sorted. Signing at any of those clubs could mean dropping a player (wasn't received well when it happened to Gruber at Hawks) or tinkering with the team and chemistry. He may also not get the minutes he wants in that situation. 36ers could be a good option with DJ playing at the 4.

Reply #543738 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

This is how everyone sits points wise
Adelaide: 53
Cairns: 66
Illawarra: 50
Melbourne: 70
NZ: 52
Perth: 60
Sydney: 55
Townsville: 53

Reply #543741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Did you even read the article? Guess not."

I hadn't read it at the time but have now. I knew Jawai was released by his Turkish team early last season and then signed with a team in Spain for the rest of the season.

What I didn't know was that he never played at all last season. Why his Spanish team signed him I have no idea. But he didn't play any games last season and just four games the season before that due to the injury.

I was unaware Jawai has been out injured for almost two whole seasons. I feel a bit bad now as in one of the Lithuania game threads I made a comment that he looked so bad on the court he looked like that was the first game of basketball he's ever played. I never knew he was literally re-learning how to play the game again due to that injury.

Reply #543744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stuff all the other hijacking people about trying to sign him in the NBL.
I posted the original article to point out what a path he has had to even be able to see let alone live well.
It shows me clearly how selfish people here are.
Be proud of what he has done and more praise to him, with Andre and Luc looking after him.
Pleased to read your response to my comments. #
Proud.

Reply #543750 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"What I didn't know was that he never played at all last season. Why his Spanish team signed him I have no idea. But he didn't play any games last season and just four games the season before that due to the injury."

Nate played 21 games in Spain last season, rusty at first but found some form later in the piece, averaging 12p & 4r in his last nine games.

Reply #543759 | Report this post

Dman  
Years ago

All I got to say is he's a northern (Queensland) boy. Look there for where he will end up. Will slot in between an ageing but game smart centre and a young athletic rookie centre. So should complement this reptile well with 20 mins a game.

Reply #543762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 rebounds at his size isn't good at all. Gets in the right position and he can box out anyone being that big

Reply #543766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Nate played 21 games in Spain last season, rusty at first but found some form later in the piece, averaging 12p & 4r in his last nine games."

I'm going well. Wikipedia only has his stats up to the 2013/14 season so assumed he didn't play last season. Good to hear he played and did reasonably well all things considered.

Reply #543768 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I love that his goal is going to Rio. Certainly if he gets in good shape, and good touch and becomes something near where he was in his rookie year, you would have to find a spot for the guy who presents some really unique match up problems for the opposition.

Only Greece has someone with comparable dimensions to Jawai. An in form, fit Jawai would be daunting. He is more than welcome to comee play for the Sixers this season.

Reply #543769 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"4 rebounds at his size isn't good at all."

He was only playing 18mpg, so 12 & 4 is pretty solid.

Reply #543772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My apologies if that is the case

Reply #543775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I highly doubt Sixers Fans points tallies are correct

Reply #543777 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Just go on the pick and roll free agent tracker and it tells you where everyone stands. His are right.

Reply #543801 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

http://pickandroll.com.au/nbl-201516-free-agency-tracker/

Reply #543803 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Adelaide or Townsville would be great spots for him. Would like to see him back in the league, getting minutes and getting back into shape.

Reply #543822 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Dman I'll take a bow if you are right, I remember you calling crocs weeks ago.

Reply #543833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

.......which won't be able to be seen with the TV blackout. LK Group you're having a laugh

Reply #544186 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

The NBL will be on TV next season - its just likely to be pay TV. Get over it, mate. I am not sure that your expectations are logical or reasonable.

Consider the ratings NBL got on Ten, do you think any FTA channel is going to rush to put it on? It is going to take some work from LK, and more than just a logo and website.

Revisit the issue in 2 years before you call his plan a success or failure.

Reply #544215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do you mean pay TV? Fox Sports don't seem interested.

Reply #544220 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

"dont seem interested" Lol. And you know that how?

Reply #544232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was reading between the lines... lol

Reply #544236 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Well the Cats have a few more points now...
Can Jawai run the point or shoot 3's???

Unless Perth do another last minute dodgy* points re-shuffle, they can't fit him in under the points cap...

According to the picknroll FA tracker, they already HAVE!
Martin was rated as an 8 by the NBL BUT still a 10 due to his existing contract (down to 8 with loyalty) but PnR have him down to 6...

Reply #544793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The word on Twitter is jawai is finalising a deal with Perth

Reply #545181 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:55 am, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754