Anonymous
Years ago

Indigenous Allstar Team

The AFL have released an Indigenous Allstar team what about one for basketball??

Danny Morseu
Michael Ahmatt
Deba George

Who else??

Referee - Scott Butler

Topic #3806 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

What about a White Team of the Century?

Reply #44350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wot about you either stick to the subject or start a new thread!!

Goose.

Reply #44358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont agree with splitting the aboriginals from the white. Stupid post. I respect the aboriginal basketballers named (and AFL footy players).
Wheres the All NBA AFRO-AM team, NFL ALL AFRO-AM team. We are all one people

Reply #44360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These sorts of teams are spoken about all the time.

All American
All European
All African
All Import
All Australian

It's a chance to recognise players that may not be in the top few everything.

Your trying too hard to be PC, it's a fair topic

Reply #44363 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

no its not, its racist

Reply #44371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

reggie vandenbergh
jason bray

Reply #44373 | Report this post

The Neer  
Years ago

Billy Wilson from Murray Bridge. When he played he awesome to watch.

Reply #44392 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Why is it racist MW? Racism is holding an ignorant discriminatory view of a person or group of people based on their appearance or culture.

Seeking to recognise indigenous basketball players is not racist in any way.

The fact is, distinct cultures DO exist in Oz. We all live in Australia, but no one can honestly say we are all one people.

It's how people interact with each other that causes tension or labels them racist.

Why not recognise the best indigenous players? I'm interested in seeing who makes the list. I honestly don't know many apart from the current/recent players and the Ahmatts >spelling<

Reply #44399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

reverse racism

Reply #44403 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Anon, you are an idiot. It's a discussion thread about the best indigenous players. Nothing else.

If this thread had been titled

"Latvian all-star team" and asked people to list all the great Latvian players that lifted SA basketball to new levels, no one would have said a word.

Reply #44411 | Report this post

Mo'bags  
Years ago

To throw some names out there:

Paul Vandenbergh
Jason Bray
Shane Ahmatt
Billy Wilson
Justin Wilkey
William Foster

Has there been many indigenous players play ABL / NBL?

Reply #44504 | Report this post

Pickles  
Years ago

It's not racist at all it is merely recognising the achievements of indigenous people.

Reply #44507 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

shane ahmatt- played for south east melbourne magic for a little bit

Reggie played for canberra

Timmy Duggan- plays for Mount Gambier and also played for cairns.

Travis Lane- Sydney/perth

Wilkey??

Reply #44509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the best gay team ?!?

Reply #44518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best gay team?? What a funny guy you are. Maybe you brought up that topic so you could find yourself some new friends!! Guess you'd let them in the back door if they came around.

Reply #44529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great List, any other nominees??
Is Shane, Michaels son?
Who still plays?
What era are the ones that don't still play?
Anyone have memories of seeing these guys play?

Danny Morseu
Michael Ahmatt
Deba George
Reggie vandenbergh
Jason bray
Billy Wilson
Shane Ahmatt
Justin Wilkey
William Foster
Travis Lane
Timmy Duggan

Referee - Scott Butler

Reply #44532 | Report this post

Enforcer  
Years ago

Timmy D would be the point guard for sure.
Affirmative action it may be but it ain't reverse racism unless it excludes all other races on a demeaning or derogatory basis.
No different to State of origin.
PC gone haywire

Reply #44564 | Report this post

Mw  
Years ago

What would of happened if they wanted to do an "All White Team of the Century"...imagine the outcry. Sorry thedoctor and pickles, it is racism.

Reply #44779 | Report this post

FMJ  
Years ago

if you want to do an all white team, they have to be really pale!

Reply #44781 | Report this post

Road Warrior  
Years ago

Having seen Timmy Duggan play for the Pioneers the past two years, I can't say enough good things about him. Great player, awesome bloke!

Reply #55814 | Report this post

wateva  
Years ago

Does it really matter what color their skin is? Or what their heritage is? I mean really what we should be doing is not singling out any specific race or color just show the great players be they black, white, pink or purple.

Reply #55819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Michael Ah Matt
Shane Ah Matt
Danny Morseau
Paul Vandenberg
Jason Bray
Timmy Duggan
Billy Wilson

Reply #56336 | Report this post

Nicole Ahmatt  
Years ago

yes, Michael Ahmatt is Shane Ahmatt's father and my Uncle. Reggie and Timmy are friends of mine and I think I can safely say they feel the same way as I do and I don't think it's racist to have a team as such, We compete in Indigenous tournaments all the time and No, we don't think it's reverse racism, We believe it's doing something for ourselves...

Reply #61796 | Report this post

bball luver  
Years ago

i think that would be a wikid team to play on. as i am aboriginal who plays basketball in adelaide. I think they should have an all-star team thats an open age because there isnt much aboriginals that play basketball in australia....

Reply #61797 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Are we then not being racist as Australians towards Americans or Europeans saying that we are only allowed to have two of you on our team? Is that discriminating???
Please just look at this as recognising some incredible current and past players of a Basketball community, as someone said, "if the topic was "Latvian all-star team" I don't think anybody would have kicked up a stink.

Reply #61847 | Report this post

local Fan  
Years ago

What about Nathan Jawai

Reply #67576 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Justin Wilkey isnt indigenous is he??

Reply #67672 | Report this post

Michelle  
Years ago

I have been involved on a social basis with an Aboriginal teenage girls social team. I loved watching them play every week, fluent, such ease of skill, considerate of each other, flexible, Dea:Dly competitive yet still able to enjoy.

(as are many other peoples)

No I'm not Aboriginal (my ancestors were Irish convicts).

There is nothing wrong with acknowleding someones ancestory or spiritual story be it through basketball or anything else.

We are talking culture here not race because remember there is only one race : Human

Reply #68145 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

www.m-w.com/dictionary/Racism

"a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits & capacities & that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race."

This thread is titled "Indigenous Allstar Team" - nowhere does it state that "Indigenous people are better than whites at playing basketball" - it simply asks who people would pick to be in an Indigenous Allstar Team.

It can't be racist - it doesn't proclaim that indigenous people have an inherent superiority over other races.

The only people who have any right to complain about this thread are the indigenous basketball players who feel they've been left off the list! :)

Don't look for a hidden meaning in this post - there isn't one..!

I Saw Billy Wilson play with Woodville when he was a teenager (U16s/U18s)- "Deadly!"

Reply #68165 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Well said pickles, but dont you have anything better to do....?

Reply #68168 | Report this post

Michelle  
Years ago

Ditto to "well said",
hope my post didn't come across as "looking for hidden meaning" because I certainily wasn't when I read the the start of the thread.

Isn't it natural to imagine/create and be proud of teams based on grouping : Birth origin, school, district/state/country, age, gender, the list goes on and on.

Anyway I still loved watching those girls play.

Reply #68253 | Report this post

Derek Zoolander  
Years ago

I liike Aba Digitals

Reply #68256 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

VC fan, if you knew me, you'd know the answer...

Reply #68332 | Report this post

sledgeross  
Years ago

Ummm, Travis Lane is NOT indigenous Australian. His old man is American. Goes to show we shouldnt judge a book by its cover.

Reply #92383 | Report this post

GrahamKinney  
Years ago

Justin Giblet, one of the most underrated indigenous basketballers. If he played AFL or the like, I assure you'd hear about him. Maybe George Morseu... Or maybe not (For now).

Reply #118746 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

hehehe brilliant anon 44518.

Only problem is, we couldnt include any current players as you have to wait until youve retired before it can be announced for fear of discrimination.

Reply #118749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Travis Lane is not indigenous - he's American.

Reply #128274 | Report this post

dinozzo  
Years ago

Michael cedar - Townsville crocs
Chris cedar - ABA, soon be college. How about Pat Mills? Aaron Grabau?

there is a indigenous team that plays in ABA QLD north, Kuiyam Pride. Deba George, James Jackaway, Timmy Duggan, Adam Collins, Ben Johnson, Richard Ketchell, Francis Loban, Michael Paiwan, Jacob Pilot, Glen Warrior to name a few.

Anyway good post, but most these players still play somewhere. Im sure there are many others..

Reply #128280 | Report this post

croweater  
Years ago

why not get a list of players from each state

Reply #182021 | Report this post

true blue  
Years ago

does anyone know of any of the indigenous players who represented australia in 88, maybe you could pick some of those players, having represented your country you must have to deadly hey.

Reply #189744 | Report this post

One Love  
Years ago

We were a nation before the colonisers arrived we had our own society here prior to colonisation when we as Indigenous people say we should have our own team then there is no wrong in that. We never relinquished our sovreignty, We are a proud and strong people.

Reply #198576 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Full respect to the original inhabitants of this country.

"positive discrimination" still contains "discrimination"

All discrimination is WRONG, all people should be treated equally.

one world

Reply #198663 | Report this post

JB  
Years ago

Start
C Nathan Jawai
PF Danny Morseu
SF Michael Ahmat
SG Deba George
PG Patrick Mills

Bench
Reggie Vandebregh
Jason Bray
Michael Cedar
Shane Ahmat
Timmy Duggan
Kerry Williams
Glen Warrior

Reply #201879 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Only member of the all-white team I can think of is Cooper :)

Reply #201880 | Report this post

emu 64  
Years ago

Jason Bray?

He was OK but not even close to the class of the others you just named.

And posted by JB?? Is that you Roo?

Reply #201881 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

(Here follows discrimination class 101)

me,

You are entirely correct. To ask the question 'who is the best basketballer on the 36ers team' discriminates (in the sense that it excludes from consideration) anyone not on the 36ers team.

However, that is NOT discrimination of a type that is relevant on either a PC or legal sense, and neither is the consideration of this list. Neither is the anonymous poster's list of 'Best gay players', which you only find disturbing because of a negative association with 'categorising' people as gay. It may be a surprise to you, but being Aboriginal does not have a negative stigma or categorisation associated with it, unless you are giving it that stigma (and thereby discriminating in your own mind against them).

You can be Australian and also have an indigenous heritage. I can be Australian and of Anglo-Saxon descent. Is the fact that we are both Australian discriminatory to non-Australians? Is the list of 'best left-handed batsmen who played for Australia' discriminatory? Hell no, and neither is 'best basketballer who had an ancestor who was in the First Fleet', even though this also probably describes a person's nationality (and is a pretty stupid and irrelevant list).

If I were to take the above list, and say that anyone appearing on the list is unable to buy chocolate, THAT would be discrimination.

(here endeth lesson and rant).

Reply #201895 | Report this post

greg  
Years ago

Its not racist to catigorise any people into groups , only when comparisons are made to other groups on the grounds of superiority, and also when these groups are put in competition. its also when only one group is made and NOT others as thats discriminating. if there was a list such as
indigenous
African
irish
English
Maori
etc.

I will touch also on the flag(dont attack)

"I" believe that its very important to any couture to have a cultural symbol, but this isnt what a flag pole represents, its to be proud of the land and the country not the multicultural people under the flag. if it were then we should have a flag flying for every different culture living as citizens on this great land.
be proud of what makes you proud, and know that the flown flag represents all those under it.

Reply #306237 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:48 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754