Years ago

NBL Live app launched

Free:

iOS

Android

Topic #38117 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

So how will the live streaming of games work?

Reply #552600 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

It appears that this will stream games no charge. Oh .... My.....god!! I love Larry Kestleman

Reply #552604 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

It also looks like it's streaming direct from Fox Sports News.

Reply #552605 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Well it appears that way for now (as it's just coming up with the FSN stream), but I think Fox Sports News is streamed for free online anyway?

Reply #552606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there an on demand feature available?

Reply #552612 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Wow. Look forward to seeing how it works.

Reply #552613 | Report this post

NBL #1 Fan  
Years ago

Is there an app for the PC??

How about Windows phone?

Shame they didn't include 100% of their target audience is this is the case.

Anyway, it's a step in the right direction, but having NBL.TV was a better product, except for the streaming quality. Improve that and NBL.TV would be been amazing.

Reply #552614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the list of things the app wants access to on the phone is a little concerning.

Reply #552617 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I downloaded and had a 5 minute look on the train, and it just seemed to be stats and news. I couldn't locate a "streaming" option. Must’ve been doing something wrong....

Reply #552619 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

There's streaming. Click the "Watch LIVE" link above each game. I know it doesn't say it for the 36ers, but they all just use the same Fox Sports News stream anyway so it doesn't matter which one you click.

There's clear intention to not have it on computers/laptops - because that starts going into Foxtel's TV domain.

Reply #552621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent, great to have free streaming!

Reply #552622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stupid question, can you use the app on a computer/laptop??

Reply #552624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are programs on the computer that let you airplay to that computer but I doubt you will be allowed to airplay through the app, you would have to most likely jailbreak the device first

Reply #552626 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Has anyone tried using a HDMI Adaptor and connecting their iPhone/iPad to TV yet?

I was reading an article this morning, it claimed that some apps will work with TV Streaming but others won't.

(Now if I was Fox and I didn't want people streaming to TV.... I'd tell the NBL to make sure the app couldn't function this way).

But- has anyone tried it?

Reply #552627 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Ie: With Laptop, I just connect the laptop to the TV via a HDMI Cord. The TV becomes the laptop screen (or a second screen if you want).

There is an adaptor to use so you can connect HDMI Cord direct to from your TV to your iPad, via Adaptor.

I've never tried this with iPad mini before- will it work in the same way? Has anyone tried this with the NBL Live app?

Reply #552628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My understanding LV is a HDMI adapter from your ipad should work at it is the output from the device and not an application within the device like airplay. I used it all last season on the old nbltv.

Reply #552630 | Report this post

NBL #1 Fan  
Years ago

I understand the right to protect Foxtel, but seriously, if people can work out how to hook a tablet to a large monitor/TV then what's the point in protecting foxtel?

The best way forward would to have streaming on all devices (mobiles, laptops, PCs etc) via foxtel simulcast and charge an appropiate fee for it. Maybe $5 a month for NBL since Foxtel charges around $5 a month for premium channel addons.

Reply #552631 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Foxtel Play/Go(whatever its called) wont let you connect or airplay to a TV and I imagine the same thing will apply for this ap.

But hey you have every game streamed live on tablet or phone...if your not happy with that get Foxtel. First 6 rounds will cost you $25 a month as Fox Sports News is included in Foxtels basic package.

Reply #552633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$5 per month for every game?

Reply #552636 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I can't believe that some people here are still not happy with what they have been given.

Reply #552637 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I understand the right to protect Foxtel, but seriously, if people can work out how to hook a tablet to a large monitor/TV then what's the point in protecting foxtel?
Because most people won't bother doing this or know that they can do this. I doubt I'd bother - I'd just watch on my phone or tablet.

Reply #552638 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

App is free for the first round and then will need to pay after that, however I'm told it will be less than what NBL TV was.

If you have Apple TV you can mirror your iPhone to Apple TV and watch it on your TV. If you have an android, some have TV outs (I think the Sony Z2 and Z3?) or you have a few other options like Chrome Cast (like Apple TV) or there's an android box apparently. Both you can mirror your phone to the TV.

Reply #552640 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Here is a look with some screen grabs so you can see what you get...

A first look at the new NBL Live app

Reply #552645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL finally seems to have its act together. About time!

Reply #552647 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

If it's "less than NBL TV" was last season then don't expect games to be "on demand" Catch it live of miss out.

Chances are you will most likely be able to "Air Play" or "mirror" via apple TV for iOS devices.

I'll test that tonight.

Reply #552651 | Report this post

linds  
Years ago

A step in the right direction..

I wonder what the bitrate will be- chances are it will be a blocky mess when output to the TV

Reply #552665 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

I just used my chromecast to cast my screen with this app open and it looked to work fine. Went to the live game option and that worked also.

Reply #552667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This new nbl ownership is making it way too hard for us keyboard warriors to complain. I really hope they start stuffing things up soon.

Reply #552669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone know if we can watch games on demand??

Reply #552675 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

No word on if you can watch games on demand yet

Reply #552679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant use on iPhone 4.

Time to get the HTC One M8

Reply #552682 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

'Foxtel Play/Go(whatever its called) wont let you connect or airplay to a TV and I imagine the same thing will apply for this app'

I can output Foxtel Go just fine to my TV via my laptop HDMI out.

Reply #552683 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"I can output Foxtel Go just fine to my TV via my laptop HDMI out."

Really, thats interesting. I'll have to try with my laptop....I was trying using an apple HDMI - ipad adapter and it wouldnt work with Go.

Reply #552685 | Report this post

Fworld  
Years ago

Why do people really want to watch it on a mobile anyway? Surely you aren't all on the train when the bball is on?

Reply #552686 | Report this post

Ugly Igley  
Years ago

The app's listing weight of Nate Jawai might be a little optimistic at 100kgs...

Reply #552688 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"Why do people really want to watch it on a mobile anyway? Surely you aren't all on the train when the bball is on?
"I'm in WA so with the 2-3hr time difference I'm either at work or on the train home lol"

Reply #552690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Minor detail, but given that Telstra are a partner now, will streaming through the app count towards my data usage?

Reply #552696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the price $$$$$ after first week trial?

Reply #552700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great question re: Telstra data usage. Hope so.

Reply #552701 | Report this post

NBL #1 Fan  
Years ago

With the App only being for small screens they wouldn't need much bandwidth at all. Probably 256 colours at 8-bit.

Hope it turns out to be fantastic for people. For myself, I rather a big screen, so hopefully we get NBL.TV for the PC etc, otherwise foxtel it is then.

For the league to really boom we need full time live coverage on FTA. With the foxtel deal going for 5 years I doubt they'll happen soon. Shame about that really, but this is a great step in the right direction.

Reply #552703 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

A nbl.tv product with the quality of the Blitz stream would be good. It would be great if we could get the Fox feed for this product. I would pay more than nbl.tv cost for this product. Just not that interested in the other Fox stuff.

Reply #552719 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

People need to stop talking about the prospect of "full time NBL on FTA". Even with the improvements we are a long long way from that.

Reply #552723 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Just linked social media accounts to app. FB and Twitter, will send tweets but does not seem to be able to post on FB. We'll see but it can be unlinked.

Reply #552724 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What league has full-time coverage on FTA? AFL and NRL don't.

Reply #552726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So everyone's in WA eh?

Reply #552728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three hour time different BLOWS.

At least make the tipoffs 8pm rather than 7:30pm Eastern daylight time so it's 5pm in the west instead of 4:30pm.

Reply #552736 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"With the App only being for small screens they wouldn't need much bandwidth at all. Probably 256 colours at 8-bit."

You'd be surprised. The Galaxy has been Full HD or better since the S4, and the iPhones have gotten there as well now with the 6 Plus.
Most streaming services these days have pretty good control over ramping the quality up & down so hopefully this one is the same and people can have the best of both worlds.
Guess we will know in about 45 minutes...

Reply #552751 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

There's a 2 week trial for the Foxtel Play app if you want to watch on PC - just don't forget to cancel before the trial ends.

Reply #552755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Play doesn't show NBL live

Reply #552756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love WA. Wait Awhile. They won't agree to the Daylight savings changes. Bad Luck.

Reply #552758 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It says 7.30 in the Play guide? Fox Sports News?

Reply #552763 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Watching it live on my Foxtel Play trial account...

Reply #552769 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Live stream looks awesome.

Reply #552771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My live stream on phone is the wrong aspect ratio, looks squashed.

Reply #552782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

App performed well for me that half
Good stuff

Reply #552815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was it just me or was the streaming quality of the sixers v nz game today on NBL Live app pretty poor?

I can normally watch decent streaming quality on the ipad but this was pretty bad. Lots of the video stopping but voice continuing, pixelation etc

Reply #552871 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Turned the app on whilst at the game. Stream worked perfectly, stats were great given we had none at the stadium (only gripe with tonight is we need a new scoreboard). Anyway, I know where to get my stats in the interim.

Reply #552884 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Love the app

Great work LK

Mine cut out regularly but I assume this was due to my old ish phone (M7). I expect it will be fine on my iPad at home. That's what happened at the Blitz. Will test tomorrow.

Reply #552890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angus H, does the Foxtel play account allow you to watch games on replay/on demand??

Reply #552893 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

No it doesn't unfortunately. Some channels are on demand, but the sports channels are live only.

Reply #552894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

doh, thats my only criticism of the NBLs new coverage is that we can no longer watch games on demand like we could last year with nbl.tv which is a feature i liked

Reply #552895 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Highlights package now up which is predictably excellent quality. (not NBA standard, but who's comparing)

Loving the new LK era

Reply #552897 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Where did u find the highlights package?

Reply #552900 | Report this post

Lisa  
Years ago

I streamed NBL LIVE from my iPad to TV with hdmi cable no problem at all - had patches where it froze but no-where near as bad as the blitz streaming - LOVE IT the NBL is heading in the right direction

Reply #552902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you watch games on demand on the app? Doesn't appear so from what I can see but I'm a n00b.

Reply #552908 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

NBL has been tweeting all game with little highlights videos as well, very Cricket Australia style.

Nice work!

Also, how good is the Fox Sports intro?!

Reply #552921 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Replay of the game now available on the App.

RMQ, click on 'latest' for the highlights/replay, or go to 'news & video' in the menu bar

Reply #552932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

XY agreed the live stream wasn't that great. Actually NBL.TV last season looked better on my phone. Ah well at home I watched it on Fox looked perfect except can't wait to see Fox HD in a better stadium as the Dome court and surrounds isn't the best looking.

Reply #553097 | Report this post

AyJay  
Years ago

This season the quality of life of the majority of the NBL fans has been sunk by the NBL selling out to Foxtel. The NBL as a not for profit organisation is totally failing in its advertised objectives! Not for profit! Hah someone other than the viewing public is sure getting profit from it!!! Mmmm!

Walk around with a little 2" screen! Bullshit! Not this little black duck!!

NBL, fail, fail, fail!

Reply #553804 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I honestly cannot tell if that's serious.

Reply #553805 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

Just because the NBL has never made a profit doesn't mean they are a non for profit.

Reply #553836 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:45 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754