mystro
Years ago

R5 Sixers Vs Breakers NSEC 5/11/15

The Adelaide 36ers (3/3) come to Auckland to face the NZ Breakers (3/3) at the North Shore Events Centre.

Back in Round 1 Adelaide wasted NZ 90-71 but they were without Corey Webster, Tom Abercrombie & Alex Pledger. Adelaide also didn't have their new Import Guard Jerome Randle who despite being a midget looks like he can ball.

Both teams are without injury so this one should be a cracker. Quick import guards, athletic small forwards, gritty power forwards and legit big men who can get up and down the floor.

Adelaide will need to contain the Breaker backcourt duo of Corey Webster and Cedric Jackson and repeat their thrashing on the rebound count that they dished out in round 1 to win.
NZ will need to control the tempo and keep the shackles on Daniel Johnson and Jerome Randle and win the rebound count. They'll also need Charles Jackson and Alex Pledger to offer some rim protection that was sorely missed in the Round 1 game.

I'm a one eyed Kiwi so it's won't be a surprise which side I'm picking to win.

Topic #38378 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

NZ will win, should be a pretty nice game to watch Adelaide will run, but don't think they have the cattle to go with e Breakers team run by a dominant Webster. Breakers by 8-12.

Reply #560987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep...Breakers comfortably!

Reply #560998 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What time SA time is it on ??? Thanks

Reply #561006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5pm I think.

Reply #561012 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Adelaide by 2 IMO.

Reply #561218 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Around 5.05pm Adelaide time.

Reply #561219 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Crucial game for both teams. Should be a good one with lots of good match-ups.
Probably lean towards Breakers due to home-court

Reply #561223 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not much of an indication yet which way this game will go. With Randle, I can see Sixers being pesky enough to get it.

Reply #561487 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Sixers really are clueless on defence at times.

Reply #561488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Uxciting uptimpo game bruz

Reply #561492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mutch Creek hus some trucks bru

Reply #561497 | Report this post

Ando  
Years ago

I can't handle Frank's voice. It's a painfull game to watch with his voice banging on

Reply #561500 | Report this post

Pat  
Years ago

God, those dark floors are so amateur..

Reply #561502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^
Thut's racust Put

Reply #561503 | Report this post

Pat  
Years ago

lol.. but suriously, buth NZ home courts are awful and plain bru

Reply #561505 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Adelaide's low post defence *facepalm *

And Gibbo doing the great disappearing act again.

Reply #561514 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Interesting first half.

Gibbo really needs to put in a Captain's effort in the second half. Cedric Jackson having a quiet one too. I reckon that matchup is the game decider. It's all in your hands Gibbo.

Webster is being well held, but if a few three's drop, then the game momentum will swing quickly.

You should all know by now I reckon Creeky >> ABBA. ABBA's having a quiet one, don't you think Mystro?

The Centres are showing each other respect in their offensive halves and scoring freely. A few guys heading for 20 pt and 10 rb games tonight.

Does anyone in Adelaide know what an offensive rebound looks like?

Hope all my Kiwi Cousins are enjoying themselves at the game

Reply #561516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thut wis a bug trupple

Reply #561517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talk about uninspiring courts and jersey / logo designs, Breakers brand needs a little revamp 21st Century revamp.

Reply #561521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36Suxers looking strong

Reply #561526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A rah!

Reply #561527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BUCKETS ON BUCKETS ON BUCKETS

Reply #561528 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Easy money on total points. Over 160.5 at $1.95

Reply #561529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wibster is sich a wipon

Reply #561530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bitterfungers

Reply #561532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't buy a bicket

Reply #561533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thut's ut

Reply #561534 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

The Brickers ir ip by illivin

Reply #561537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahahaha

Reply #561538 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

4 points up with 5:37 to go, then we miss 9/10 shots and suddenly we're 11 down.
Disappointing finish.

Reply #561539 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

So this is why Randle cant make the NBA

Reply #561540 | Report this post

ExpertofExperts  
Years ago

Johnson would have to be the biggest laziest dog on defence how many did Jackson score under the basket because he doesn't know how to box out or is too lazy and soft and gets beaten all the time because he can't set his feet, oh but that's right the armchair experts will all defend him because he scored points, what's your centre doing on the 3 line sticking out his ass popping 3's get inside and some had the hide to attack peach for missing that layup last week, yes yes experts he missed one tonight but no foul call. Yes there were other factors tonight as well but bloody hell Johnson use that big frame

Reply #561541 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I agree our interior defence was abysmal, as was our offence down the stretch. How many bricked threes???

But I'm actually putting that loss on Gibbo - his lack of defence meant guys were getting into the lane, Johnson then had to come out leaving his man open under the bucket. He looked disinterested again. Non factor at both ends of the floor.

Reply #561544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melb v New Zulund GF series.

It's inevitable now.

Reply #561546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ExpertofExperts, DJ had 15 rebounds - more than anyone. Seems like he was in the paint and boxing out more than others?!

Reply #561548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Joey wants guys to be confident but Randle needs to be smart enough to recognise when it's not dropping it's not dropping.

Reply #561549 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I wonder if Randle has a vision issue. He made a few bad fumbles and maybe he's just not seeing the ball.

Too many high risk 3 attempts in the end by the Sixers.

It was good to see Peach have a tangle with Vukona

Reply #561550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been saying for a long time now, Gibbo is overrated.

Snooch is right, DJ often gets caught covering others and is then made to look bad. He is a better defender than people realise, poor bugger just gets caught up trying to cover others!

Reply #561552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle had a shocker. 0/9 3P & 8 TO - yikes!

Gibbo said to be injured going in (ankle) but I'm not buying into that too much - he's played better with worse before!

Reply #561555 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Meanwhile the games worst player plays the most minutes for the 36ers

Reply #561556 | Report this post

AyJay  
Years ago

A huge STUFF the NBL for selling out to Foxtel.

STUFF, STUFF and double STUFF!
Going to lose interest fast this season

USELESS!

Reply #561557 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Great game.
Abercrombie didn't have to do a heap and did enough when it counted Jack.
Credit to Adelaides defence, they made it tough for Webster & Abercrombie on the perimeter.
Nice game for Charles Jackson at both ends but with Cedic Jackson forcing the d to collapse on him and then being able to drop the ball off it's a case of stand here, catch and dunk. He does get up and down the floor well and he looked like he was enjoying himself.

Fun game to watch being pretty free flowing high scoring up and down for the most part. Adelaide had their chances in the 4th but couldn't make their shots drop and then Corey Webster got a couple of looks.

Reply #561560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding?

More like Colding amirite?

Reply #561561 | Report this post

Wwizard  
Years ago

reminds me of few years back, up by a margin to lose by a margin. cant remember the year but being up by 18 at 3 qtr time to lose by 7 or 8.

shit!

Reply #561566 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

What are you talking about AyJay?

Reply #561582 | Report this post

ExpertofExperts  
Years ago

15 rebounds pfft, I might just reply the game and do my own stats, I think he gets given other ppl's, don't get me wrong DJ he is a talented player but does make some awful mistakes in missing his man and yes Gibbo is overstated, would not be in my boomers side

Reply #561608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the statisticians get a lot of things wrong and some stats would sometimes be given to others - they would be pretty close though.

Like Snooch said, he gets caught covering for others. Watch the game again but watch why he gets caught out on D - I used to think the same as you until I watched closely.

Gibbo couldn't stay in front of an elephant and Jackson would just waltz in the key...should DJ just let him have the easy lay up or should he come across and at least force him to make a good pass? And, who is coming across to cover DJ when he switches?!

Trust me, DJ isn't the problem defensively!

Reply #561612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ left his man a few times to cover for players beaten off dribble. Resulted in a few dunks to Jackson but not DJs fault.

Reply #561616 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Its called help defence and their is none when certain players are on, Ebi and Peach come to mind.. Where was Hodgson. Oh not on.

Reply #561624 | Report this post

ExpertofExperts  
Years ago

Peach is one of the best defensive players going, yep help D he helps everyone but gets none in return, no one covers the back door for him.

Reply #561633 | Report this post

ExpertofExperts  
Years ago

Anyway no point in going on about it as there are a lot of armchair experts on here who think they know the game but would have no clue! Time to move on and beat the Kings!!

Reply #561636 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Very bad defensive games by Gibson and Randle.

Even worse was Gibson's 2 points in 35 minutes. You put a healthy Tey's or Sobey in for 35 minutes and they are giving you more points, better defense and better leadership! Wright should be telling Gibson to drive rather than being scared of the key and settling for weak jump shots. He usually looks good when he drives or at least work to get to the foul line from the drive.

Randle needs to work a lot harder in defense. For someone that is so quick he is extremely bad at defense.

Great game by DJ! He deserved more shots! Good games by Walker, Creek and even Hodgson looked good. All of them deserved more minutes tonight. Petrie deserved less minutes.

Kobe24's favourite player Ere had a better game tonight.

I am not sure about Wrights tactic to let Wesley shoot it. Wesley usually has good games against us.

An extremely poor 4th quarter. Up 5 then play poor defense and even worse offense by just jacking up 3's from the first pass. How about moving the ball and then getting a good shot. We had a good chance to win this game but stuffed up that chance.

Reply #561638 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Sad part King James is that was probably Ebi's best game... and still wasnt all that great. Atleast he was close to 50% shooting, not bad for a role player. Shame he simply isnt what the team needs especially when guys like Randle have a stinker.

Reply #561644 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

One has to question whether Gibbo is still invested in this team. He can do so much more almost at will but can go MIA so easily. Even his great defence has left him.

Maybe this is a good opportunity to give Teys another try at starting once fit?

I'm liking what Ebi brings more and more, scoring with confidence, steals, I'm relieved its starting to fall in place for him.

Reply #561669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'I'm liking what Ebi brings more and more, scoring with confidence, steals, I'm relieved its starting to fall in place for him.'

Riggggggght....

Reply #561671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't see this game, but would be interested in seeing Johnson and Hodgson playing the 4/5 more often. As pointed out, Johnson plays more of an outside game on offence anyway and Hodgson would protect the key more on defence whilst hopefully increasing the rebounding ability of the team

Reply #561694 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I was keeping half an eye on live stats, was very excited to get home to watch the last five minutes when we were 5 points up in enemy territory.

The Sixers only scored about 3 points in the next 5 minutes. Yikes. Most of those 3s taken were good looks (Randle excepted) but nothing wanted to drop.

That said, jacking 3s is not the Sixers' best game plan. When they were down only 1-3, should have been getting it inside, which is presumably what got us the lead in the first place.

Reply #561698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodgson and DJ should play more together but won't because Joeys defensive game plan is to switch on the pick and Hodgson just isn't quite quick enough. Joey has no clue on defense and that's why Hodgson is being limited with mins.

Joey in the paper yesterday: "it appears Gibson is our gauge, when he plays well we play well - I'm not sure why that is, it just appears to be the case". He's only just figured this out...that's concerning in itself!

ExpertofExperts, you appear to be an arm chair expert yourself?!

Marcus Camby, Ebi has a half decent game for the first time and you think it is all falling into place? You're a goose, let him play 2 to 3 back to back games like that before you make those sort of statements. I doubt he backs it up!

Gibbo supposedly injured (ankle)...if so, shouldn't have played as many mins. His mins should have been given to Teys/Sobey.

We just don't have enough consistent performers. DJ is the only bloke you can rely on week in week out. The others are all capable but are too up and down and never play well all at the same time. A better game from Ebi, can he keep it up? I still don't think he is what this team needs.

Reply #561701 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I assumed I could get 2points in 35minutes

Reply #561704 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'll join the crew favouring banging it inside to Johnson rather than the sequence of luckless threes. The team played well until that point, from the bits I saw. Creek in transition, etc.

Giving up those late threes to Webster effectively handed NZ the game, putting Adelaide on the back foot.

Walker with 14 points, 7 rebounds and 3 steals in just 18:17. Creek with 12 points in 16:01. Petrie had an excellent block and some critical offensive boards at the end which would've helped had we hit the resulting threes.

Reply #561711 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Adelaide could play out the last five minutes they'd be second on the ladder. Against probably the three best teams - Melbourne, NZ and Perth - they've been in a winnable position late and fallen away badly.

A lot to like about the 36ers, much of which Isaac pointed out, but defensively they're not getting the job done late and their walk-up offence doesn't appear good enough to score late when taking the ball out of the net. Pick and pops for DJ, and some mid-post action would be a good start.

Reply #561725 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

AS said by Paul, 36ers have been unable to guard the 3 pt line in the 4th quarter especially.
Melb, Perth, EVEN Cairns and now NZ have hit big 3's late in their games against 36ers. Only time 6ers did that was Randle first game.
3 pt percentage against 36ers in 4th quaters might be interesting stat.

Reply #561729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers cant defend the perimeter full stop! Joeys switch on every pick rule doesn't help!

Reply #561762 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Andrew Price has quarter-by-quarter stats at Spatial Jam. Not sure if it's team-specific, but he does have player-specific ones at least.

Reply #561773 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:37 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754