AngusH
Years ago

R7: Perth vs Cairns

Matty Knight doing great for Cairns early on.

Topic #38524 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Burston is really underrated IMO.

Reply #566025 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Red on Orange real smart heads who make these jersey calls. Perth could've shown off that black jersey at home!

Reply #566026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

uniform colour clashes this season have been abysmal.

Reply #566027 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yep, I hope the NBL looks to do something about home/away jersey rules next season.

Reply #566031 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Why is it so hard ot get defensive rebounds in this league? Are the players so fundamentally bad at getting position? You know, things you get taught in high school?

Reply #566032 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Word on the street is that this game is going to be a slug-fest.

Reply #566034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai is a wake finally.

Reply #566037 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Central Nervous System are playing good.

Reply #566038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

unlike the poor standard game earlier this is a quality game

Reply #566039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho saving his once in a blue moon good game for perth. lol

Reply #566040 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

17 Fts to 6 LOL

Here we go again, referees turning into cheer leaders

Reply #566041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Prather can takeout these bone headed pays, he can be a damn gun.

Reply #566042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai getting a fair shake from the refs? are you kidding me?

Reply #566043 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

21 FTs to 6 LOLOL

Reply #566044 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Hate when commentators say 'Kennys got shoot that with confidence' or Kennys gotta shoot this or that.

Kenny plays a smart game. He knows his limits so good on him. If he can make 1 or 2 on 3 or 4 shots its perfect.

Maybe he doesn't want to shoot more because he knows he isn't an elite shooter. He knows if he shoots 4-5 more he might only make 1 extra.

His 50-odd 3 point % shooting comes from his comparatively low attempts. It's not like he is a 50% 3 point shooter who only takes 2 attempts. Its the other way round.

Reply #566045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wortho the pansy

Reply #566046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beal needs to get going. He has been pretty low key

Reply #566047 | Report this post

This slugfest has turned in to an arm wrestle.

Reply #566048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather is a athletic freak

Reply #566050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kenny shoot it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #566051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

burston!!!!!!!!!! what a game. dserves OT

Reply #566052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHAT A GREAT GAME!

Reply #566054 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Great final play by Perth. Great coaching.

Reply #566056 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

God I hate blowouts.

Awesome game....Prather has been passive at the start of the season and now showing his value. Thank God we have Wildcats supporters who support their imports rather than calling for a sacking weekly.

Reply #566057 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Great finish, another close game. The average sports fan cant say this NBL stuff isnt interesting! Things tighten at the top with United's loss. Starks missed a 3 in the corner that looked destined to go down considering how many tough makes he got in the 4th. Another great showcase for the NBL.

Reply #566058 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Prather has the physical capabilities to be great, some other imports do not. Jab away idiot but this is a thread that need not be brought down. That was Prather's best game and with Beal seemingly a little down how nice it must be to have the other import pick up the load.

Reply #566059 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Great game both teams played really well but one had to lose.

Prather and Starks have both improved as the season has gone on. Starks is a 4th quarter player love it when he is aggressive.

Reply #566060 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Cairns had too many passengers down the stretch. Only Starks and Burston were aggressive, others disappeared (weigh, craig, loughton etc)

Didn't think Perth played that well in the final few minutes, but came up with enough key plays.

Reply #566061 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Man i dont even remember Weigh's name being called down the stretch! Just reminded me, Gliddon made some huge buckets too, that truly was one that could've gone either way, with teams were great.

Reply #566062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather over Ere for sure

Reply #566063 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Craig only 5 points in 30 minutes.

Reply #566064 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Thats crazy very low scoreline for him. Thing is I dont remember him taking bad shots or anything, had a bad last 3 seconds though. He didn't take shots away from Gliddon and Starks with forced shots etc buys into there system imo.

Reply #566065 | Report this post

another anon  
Years ago

Jawai and Prather's best games for the year by far. Bring Martin back and Perth's depth is scary.
And was that a Gleeson special play at the end? Obviously should be sacked immediately....

Reply #566066 | Report this post

Tim  
Years ago

Well done perth and coach Gleeson great effort.

Reply #566067 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Kobe...so your only desirable attribute for an import is "has the physical capabilities to be great"?

Why then did you bitch about Scott Christopherson?

Reply #566068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth's defensive rebounding and overall defence was woefull all game. Offence was roling pretty well though.Infact Perth's offence has picked up in the last 4 or 5 games.

Reply #566069 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Don't feed the troll

Reply #566072 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Scotty C! Theres a blast from the past, he was and still is the very worst import the 36ers ever had god love him. C'mon chap Scotty never had the body type to do much. My point with Prather is he has a very high ceiling, because at a MINIMUM he is athletic and fit. Guys who can run jump and jump some more will always have the higher ceiling. Someone such as oh I dont know, Ebi doesnt have that opportunity to start with as he is older now and out of game shape.... 12 games in. But keep spinning your words and stay on the Ere bandwagon, its amusing.

Reply #566074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone explain the last foul call for me?

I was at the game and nobody seemed to realise a foul had been called. The thing is Cairns didn't argue so I assume it was pretty obvious but buggered if I saw it, even on the replay!

Reply #566075 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Craig gave Prather a very light 2 hand shove in the back as he was blowing by him. Not enough for Prather to fall nor really effect the shot, it all happened really quickly. But the red sea opened up for Prather and everyone knew it was done. Great inbounds play. Trev will be bringing that up when next seasons negotiations come up ;)

Reply #566076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under normal circumstances i think Kobe24 is an absolute dickhead but fully support his/her anti Ebi Ere thoughts.
Sack Ebi Ere :)

Reply #566077 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Hah you and my folks both ;) Im actually not that bad a bloke just a frustrated ball tragic...

Reply #566078 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Anyways this is a thread for a damn good game so guess it should stay on that topic!

Reply #566079 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

That last play is Gleeson's go-to when he needs a quick score from a sideline inbounds. Easy to say it now but he used it all the time in Townsville, with Blanchfield inbounding. I distinctly remember him using it many times against the Taipans over the years.

Is Prather their usual inbounder?

Also, Paul, I'd like your take on the 'no timeouts on the floor' rule. Why did Fiba introduce it? Obviously there's a language barrier internationally but I thought players needed the symbol and only the symbol to call it. Could it also be that Fiba doesn't want offensive teams getting bailed out if they're trapped or in a scuffle? But seriously, it has ruined tonight and it ruined Melbourne v NZ a couple weeks ago. Maybe they can allow it for the final two-minutes of the game? And why do we have to be parallel with Fiba? It's a horrendous rule imo.

Reply #566080 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

*easy to say it now but the Snakes could've scouted it

Reply #566081 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

And you can go as far as to say deliberately missing the second foul shot goes against the spirit of the game. Of course players are going to take any advantage they can get, I have no qualms about that, but if the game's governing body wants integrity at the end of such games, then scrap the current rule.

Reply #566082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back to topic yeah what a great game another blowout.
Kobe24 hold your head high you do seem a decent bloke other than living in Adelaide lol.
Threeway race this year NZ , Perth and Melbourne

Reply #566083 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Haha yeah good ol Adelaide, its always an uphill battle selling it on people! IF the Hawks utilise their other import spot I can see them getting fourth, but other than that, Cairns seem to be coming pretty good. They were great against the 36ers in Adelaide the other week, very well drilled. Who makes the GF after United have lost their 3rd straight, god knows! But its a great season full of unique stories so far. And dare I say it, Perth are the most interesting to watch than how I've perceived them for years. More minutes for Jawai and Prather doing some things helps... and less Redhage!

Reply #566084 | Report this post

Touch, what would you propose they make as a rule to stop intentional misses, and how do you police it?

Reply #566085 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree re Cairns, my favourites to take that fourth spot and they have the talent, chemistry and coaching to beat any team on any floor in the playoffs. Their upcoming run of home games is crucial, especially against the 36ers.

Adelaide and Illawarra could both get fourth if they click into gear, but the Taipans have cohesion on their side. Perth did highlight their lack of rim protection tonight though, which Wilbekin certainly helped cover last year with his perimeter D.

Both coaches deserve credit for some really good plays late in the game, Fearne's to get Starks a lay-up was a gem, and Gleeson's late one just perfect. Great feed from Matty Knight.

Can't wait to see Prather in the next two games against NZ, having his arse handed to him by Abercrombie last week seems to have woken him up.

Reply #566086 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Touch the rim, has FIBA ever had on the floor time-outs? I could be wrong but I think as long as I've been watching the international game they have to be in a dead ball situation (a real dead ball situation, not a Kirsten/Townsend dead ball).

Reply #566087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Missing the second free throw is about as much against the spirit as teams that foul guys at the end of the game to send them to the line.

Reply #566088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Perth's lack of Perimeter defence has been exposed without Damo.

Reply #566091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth has a rush of home games to finish the season so I cant see them finishing lower then second. Infact I think the two games against the Breakers in the next 10 days might decide who finishes top. I think the United are in for a rude shock once they hit the road. I don't see them finishing first.

Reply #566092 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

I dunno, I just assumed the NBL and Fiba had always been uniform with written rules. Regardless, is there anything stopping the NBL picking and choosing from the rulebook like that?

Chalmers, obviously calling TO on the floor greatly reduces the regularity of deliberate misses but it won't eradicate it completely.

As a deterrent for missing maybe they could write in the book that, before the final FT is attempted, if a player or coach explicitly asks for 'a timeout as soon as their team gets possession', then only a certain amount of time goes off the clock (the time it takes to either say or signal a timeout), maybe 0.3 seconds?

Reply #566093 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Was Stevie Weigh injured in that game?....he played less than 10 minutes.

Reply #566095 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

The noise when Prather was in the clear, bearing down on the basket was such I never heard the whistle for the foul, thought for all the world we'd screwed up the game winner, lol. A lot of confusion at the end around my area at first.

Amazing game to be at, the roar for Kenny nailing that three was thunderous. What I love about Kenny is that, apart from his general shyness about shooting, he doesn't mind taking on a crunch-time situation. If he's open enough, or the clock is low enough, he'll take it and usually make it.

Jawai is continuing to come along. He is just such a handy dump option when we can't seem to get an opening, he just goes to work and usually scores.

Prather, loved his game, more of that please.

Reply #566096 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Loved the Jawai v Burston battle tonight, that was entertaining, as was Knight v Worthington.

Reply #566098 | Report this post

wildcats80  
Years ago

People whinging about missing the 2nd free not being in the spirit of the game is a crock of you now what. Is there a rule to say the team ahead still needs to give the team behind chance of winning. Its like its there 10 seconds left, team down 3, I would be screaming to my team to foul and send the team for 2 free throws.

Reply #566099 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Cairns had no timeouts remaining when Prather was on the line, so whether or not they would have been allowed to call one is irrelevant.

paul is correct re: FIBA never having live-ball timeouts. Although Melbourne managed to get one after a score the other night anyway.

The NBL didn't adhere to FIBA's rules from 1984 to 2009, when BA took over. They had twelve-minute quarters and dead-ball timeouts, which weren't in the FIBA rules. Not sure if there were other changes.

Reply #566100 | Report this post

Nix36  
Years ago

If we are talking about the spirit of the game, how about pushing a guy in the back as he is in the air for a layup. Unsportsmanlike or not?

Reply #566102 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Wildcats80

You have to remember these are the same people who supported Gary Ervin having a go at Greg Hire for shooting a 3 pointer at the end of a BASKETBALL game.

These are the same people who supported Joey Wright throwing a right cross at Adam Tatalovich.

Reply #566106 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Yeah, you know, I don't think that people really have a right to whinge about deliberately missing a free throw that was taken because of a two-handed shove by a player way out of position.

That said, I honestly expected to come on here and find a million posts about Cairns being robbed so petty whining about a missed free throw is actually a pleasant surprise.

Reply #566110 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Haha gee you Perth folk are bitter. Understandable.

Oh no doubt Torrey's shove of Prather was not in the spirit of the game. Definitely an unsportsmanlike foul. You guys know my views on players being fouled as they're elevating... or do you choose to overlook that and throw spears anyway? Perth f***ers man... they do my head in.

Reply #566111 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Haha gee you Perth folk are bitter.
This is hilarious coming from someone who's whining about the introduction of a rule that's always existed preventing Cairns from calling a timeout they didn't have.

Kenny's getting a lot of praise for that three, and rightly so, but credit to him also for keeping Matt Burston off the glass a few seconds earlier, allowing Prather to get in for the defensive rebound.

Reply #566113 | Report this post

Tim  
Years ago

Credit to Gleeson for getting Kenny great pick up.

Reply #566114 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Was there. Man it was a great tight game. Felt sorry for the lady who couldnt handle it on the opposite side of the Arena and fainted.

Reply #566125 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Twas a super game, high intensity but highly-skilled. I thought the refs were really consistent in how they called it and that helped the players put on a great show.

Reply #566130 | Report this post

Statsheet didn't record any steals for Jawai. He had at least one. Ok, it was a towel but it was still a good play.

Reply #566145 | Report this post

Mooks  
Years ago

Good game from the Cairns Wildcat-Rejects.. I mean Taipans.

Reply #566178 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

When they were announcing the teams, most of the players running on the announcer said 'Former Wildcat X , X' then the next one was 'Former Wildcats X, X'

The guy next to me commented about all the Former Wildcats there. Good on them. They needed to become starting 5.

Reply #566198 | Report this post

really  
Years ago

Apart from Burston & Weigh, I don't think any of the others are former Wildcats are they???
Maybe West Australians.

I think you will find the Wildcats would have been rejected by Wortho and possibly Gliddon rather than the other way around.

Reply #566203 | Report this post

Mooks  
Years ago

Loughton

Reply #566204 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

You are probably right, I heard Former Wildcat but I was talking to the guy next to me. Could of said 'West Australian'.

Either way a lot of the team seemed West Australian or Former Wildcat.

Reply #566205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loughton is a former Wildcat too.
Don't see how they are rejects though, pretty sure they all left on their own accords after being major parts of their respective Wildcats team.
Then you have WA's Worthington and Gliddon who have both rejected Wildcats contract offers in the past.

Reply #566206 | Report this post

Mooks  
Years ago

Seems to be where they go once they've past their usefulness, e.g. ala Stewart, Timmons.

Btw, love those guys, good times when they were Cats.

Reply #566207 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Yeah I dont have any ill will towards any of them. They moved on to a place where they could get more game time. If I had the skill and couldnt get many minutes locally and another place offered me as such, Id gladly take it.

Reply #566220 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

When did Timmons play for Cairns? I have no memory of that.

From what I recall Stewie was still pretty good when he departed, too.

I also vaguely recall Dewey Michaels heading up there.

Reply #566231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alan Black period.

Reply #566234 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Marcus played the 2004/05 season for us.

Reply #566252 | Report this post

Pat  
Years ago

To be honest, it would've been good for the league for Cairns to win their first title last year.

Reply #566294 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Don't forget Wildcats have got Cairns' reject Jawai.

Reply #566305 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

hahahahaha solid gold Sting:)

Reply #566313 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

To be honest, it would've been good for the league for Cairns to win their first title last year.

Why? It would have been great for the city of Cairns and the Taipans fans for sure, but how would it have been any benefit to the league????

Reply #566318 | Report this post

Pat  
Years ago

Any time a local team wins a championship, you'd think that they'll earn more fans and media exposure because of it?

Aren't you getting bored of the New Zealand and Perth duopoly?

This question coming from a Wildcats fan btw. As much as I'd like the Wildcats to win every year, I'm also concerned about the level of interest in the other states and the viability of the league.

Admittedly Cairns is doing well as far as fans, etc but sooner or later, the league has to be even more competitive year in year out to make it worthwhile for fans to support their teams.

This year has been great with many unpredictable results.

It was my opinion that a new champion might have helped renew interest in the league even more, however small it may have been.

Reply #566335 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Oh ok, so just a different team winning the championship rather than Cairns specifically?
Yeah I can see the logic in what you're saying. That said, I think the league has taken some pretty big steps this season in getting interest back.

Reply #566341 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I have to agree. Id like a Cairns or a Townsville and even a... a .. a.. .Ad... Adelaide (god that was hard to say) Winner of the NBL Championship. It would be good for the game.

I cannot honestly state though I dont like my Wildcats winning more championships but I can also honestly say I dont want the Violet Crumbles to win anything ever again.

Reply #566342 | Report this post

Pat  
Years ago

Thats right snooch, I mentioned Cairns since they were in the GF and I also have a general dislike for the Breakers, ;)

Thats not saying I don't respect them though!

Reply #566345 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Ha, another boring blowout!

I think we were lucking to get that last foul called as a shooting foul, but that's what happens when games go down to the wire. It hinges on a call, or a play either way, and one team will always be unlucky.

I really don't know what has happened to Perth's D? DO we really rely on Damo that much?
Giving up 90 points in a 40 minute game is a worry.

What I found interesting/worrying was Perth's lack of dominance on the boards.

Reply #566426 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I think we were lucking to get that last foul called as a shooting foul
Seriously? Prather was clearly in the act from the moment he touched the ball.

I don't understand why everyone was back the other side of half court for the second free-throw. If it missed, Cairns had no time to get the ball down there anyway. Far better off contesting the rebound.

Reply #566428 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It was an interesting one, and at the time I had my doubts about the deliberate miss.
I guess the danger in contesting is that you may foul, and send them to the line. They nail two and win.
As it was, the ball is live and you deny them the opportunity to run a set play from the inbound.

Reply #566630 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:22 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754